Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

The STI runs!

Not pictured, 5 minutes into warmup smoke starts pouring out the exhaust. Opaque white ish cloud. Shut off and start poking around.

Oil drips from the wastegate and around the downpipe flange. Pull what intake I can reach and look in with a mirror, oil lake. Suck it out with a shop vac and same look I can see the compressor wheel. Probably a shot turbo.

But I'm open to ideas. Subarus aren't my native habitat.

Turbo is a used FP blue. Double checked, feed on top, no signs of a kinked or bad drain. It's covered in heat resistant stuff so hard to see though. Afaik it's a journal bearing.

Will dig into it later and report back. $.02 very welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Confirmed journal bearing and oil line install is per their instructions.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Oof. Good luck is all I have to offer.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Does it not require an oil feed restrictor, or do you have that already in there (didn't see it mentioned)

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

No oil restrictor required.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Guess who's got 2 thumbs and one braincell? This guy.

Protective nipple was left on the return line to the block. The good news is the turbo drain and air oil separator are the same tube so it never actually pressurized.

Cleaning everything and reinstalling the turbo now.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Holy gently caress lol, nice find. At least it didn't melt and make its way into the pan or something.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

No kidding. Glad we didn't go for an immediate test drive.

Everything's back together. We need more fancy break in oil before test 2, should be here Tuesday. I'm gonna drink, play video games, and take a Sunday off.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

honda whisperer posted:

No kidding. Glad we didn't go for an immediate test drive.

Everything's back together. We need more fancy break in oil before test 2, should be here Tuesday. I'm gonna drink, play video games, and take a Sunday off.

Nice find. Hopefully the center section is still all good. It had plenty of oil, at least. :)

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Fingers crossed. I did some googling, I'm not Mr turbo, but as far as I can tell the oil seals are basically piston rings. More steel washer than o-ring.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Just poured 2 qts of oil in it and not up to level yet. Oil pressure was good when I shut it off so thank God but waiting on more from summit. Fancy motul break in oil so can't pop down to the store.

So we buttoned up a couple small things, shoved it outside, and washed it.

It cleans up pretty good. Luckily summits close so fingers crossed for testing tomorrow.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Those wheels still look just great.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

They do. Idk why gold/bronze on blue works but it does.

Yesterday got the oil topped up and heat cycled it, coolant burped. It was late so pulled it in.

So I promised the good, the bad, and the ugly in the thread. First drive today A very short test drive went ~ok~. Clutch shudders pretty hard. Drove fine after I got it moving. Temps and pressures good. Ok it's working, start driving up a hill. It was a little smoky but I figured a bunch of oil coating the exhaust was just burning off. Get near the top and it starts belching again. FAK! Pull over, pop the hood. Oil level is perfect, 0 missing. Look at the turbo, no leaks, looks good. Start looking around. Engine on the driver side near the TB is splattered. Wtf, there's no oil poo poo going on over here.... Loading..... It's splattered around the BOV. Wrapped a towel around it and limped home.

Found the missing oil! I should have thought of that. Anyway, 2 cans of brake clean, some air and some gravity later.

Try again tomorrow.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Woo! 20 miles down, not smoking, seems to run well. Gonna check it over, then 30 miles tomorrow and an oil change.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Holy cow. Makes sense in hindsight. Glad it seems ok.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Me too.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Ahahaha

It's pulling away and I'm not in it.

So, started this morning with the goal of 30 miles. 10 minutes in the happy blubs turn into no blubs and I coast into the entrance of the local waste water plant.

Crap.

Very gentle nah I'm not running from the engine.

Pop the hood and all looks fine. Check codes and they're the same. Look at the gas gauge, it's right over E. Hmm, it had a 1/4 tank when I left but probably did that gas gauge accelerates at the end thing.

Cranking gets I wanna run sputters. Start calling people hoping someone will bring me a couple gallons when my neighbor pulls in next to me out of the blue. Same one I did the mower work on. Hell yeah. He grabs some fuel and brings it back.

Vvr put put pop put gently caress. Maybe it just needs a sec to prime the pump, I'll cycle the key a couple times. Silence. Like the dash bings and fans whrr but there's a note missing. Fuel pump? Key off, key on, silence.

Back to the engine. The fuel pump controller bypass kit came with a breaker. Pop the cover off and a nuts loose. Yep that'll do it, tighten it and vrr pop pop put put. Start googling. Google is ads. Look at it again and see a little tiny black tab that's sticking out one side. I push it in with a satisfying click. The fuel pump and car both come back to life.

Remaining miles go without a hitch.

Back on the lift it gets an oil change. Secondary o2 gets reinstalled with an anti fouler. May just toss a cat in it in the future.

Mess with the wastegate too. It's been making a noise like it's open sometimes. 99% sure I set it up right with a 5psi spring but it's up let's look. Pull the dump and a fitting. Can see the spring through the fitting, it's on the correct side. More googling. Google is ads. One ad says tials come with a replaceable valve seat. Look in the tial box. It has 3 flanges. Ohhhhhh. Waste gate out, valve seat installed, wastegate back in. That sucked. It was installed on stands which sucked harder. Reinstalled everything's in the right place to reach the bolts on a lift. Swapping springs will not be bad in the future.

Lift goes down and time for some last polish. Oil goes in. Codes ATM are knock voltage high, evap, evap, and o2. O2 just got addressed. Look at the knock sensor, and plug it in. That's where that went! Evap gets found and installed. Clear codes and start it. It instantly sounds better. Cel comes on, but slower this time. Some new solenoid and o2 heater. Cool. Fix the new solenoid, o2 can wait. Top it up and drive.

It is a happy car. 0 smoke, good off boost power (no boost testing yet), idles, burbles, chuffs when it should. P/S still weird and the clutch is a gently caress but I'm getting better at it and the p/s improves slowly but constantly. Jacked it up and ran the steering back and forth. Just foam in foam out. Shut it off and did the same, big rear end bubbles popping. P/S much improved but not perfect. More bleeding required. So I handed the keys off and followed the owner home, then drove back, then watched it leave.

Typing this up I realize the secondary o2 wiring is still plugged into the wideband. Lmao we hooked up the bottom chunk but there's a top bit too. Whatever, problem for another day.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Update, owner swapped o2 plugs and

No check engine light.

:circlefap:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
:kazoo:

That's awesome. Congrats on a successful project.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Thanks! I'm sure it'll be back and soon. At least for a checkup and oil change before the dyno. Probably some maintenance too.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

STI trucks on, no news best news.

Gas pedal relocation thingy showed up so slapped that in this morning.

Before.

After.

Lol these pics look exactly the same. It's way different.

Kit was perfect, installed in minutes, and it feels right. 6 years of muscle memory will take a bit to rewrite but it's gonna be way better to heel toe. The few times I did it on the test drive were much improved if slow and clunky.

Then my friend with a black 2017 BRZ swung by for spark plugs. My neighbor is very confused.

I swore at that car a lot. Probably 3 hours of work? Watched the YouTube vids before and went for not lifting the engine. Having done it I can probably do it in 1.5 hours next time, maybe 1 flat. Everything's got to come out and go in via a very specific route. Also gave it an oil change and fresh battery.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That isn't bad for a first time lol, thing is ship in a bottle

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Haha gently caress Subaru spark plugs forever.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Did some work on the BRZ. Race pads and rotors are carefully marked for position and boxed up. New pads dont scream at all so far so huge upgrade.

Idk if I mentioned it earlier but when I ordered the oil cooler I ordered the ducted kit. The ducting showed up to late though.

Very messy

Much better. Didn't have to rip everything out either.

Part 2. I wanted to add at least an oil temp gauge. I'd love to have water temp and oil pressure too, but oil temp feels required. I found one gauge that looked great, could display multiple sensors, and replaced a vent while keeping it functional, perfect! Ah crap it's $400. Could but seems excessive. Looked at normal gauges. Mechanical was cheap, electronic was starting at to much. Hmm. The car already has an oil temp sensor.... And this looks like stereo $$$.

Not a ton of gauge options. Not very adjustable. I'd love be able to customize it to bar gauges with warnings and have tpms on the same page but close enough. On track there's time to glance for a second on the straights. If I can confirm that the oils warm before flooring it, and sub 250 when beating on it I'm happy.

It's picking up tpms from the snow tires. It works right a little way from the garage.

That was surprisingly painless. I did a stereo in my friends (spark plugs car) in 2017. That took wiring diagrams, maestro forums post, testing with a multimeter, more posts, and about 4 months to get fully functioning.

This was a casual Sunday with tacos and watching F1 in the middle. I should not have waited this long. It's so much better than stock.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

That's pretty slick! Even in a miata I never felt like I had enough time to really look at gauges on track. :)

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Yeah. I've gotten the most use out of gauges watching incar footage that could see them after the fact. This was back before datalogging and video overlay was as easy as it is currently.

Ideal would be just warning lights. I don't really care what the number is, just that it's in ~range~.

But this will do for a quick glance on the straights.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Been reveling in not having a someone's waiting on it car project. Bought a bicycle and been riding that. It's suprisingly fun. Only downside is there aren't great bike rack options for the BRZ. Found a setup some other people already figured out and decided to use the dual rear tow hook mounts. Turned up some shafts and combined them with a roof rack.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

That's awesome and bike is good.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Been slow in the garage lately. But there is a Subaru update. It's 1000 mile break in is complete. Owner swung by Saturday for an oil and transmission fluid change. Crawled all over it looking for leaks and issues and it seems solid! Hasn't really been stressed though so we'll see after the Dyno.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

STI had some "smells" recently. Pulled up last Saturday with a thin wisp of smoke clearly coming out of the hood scoop.

Quick investigation with a mirror showed it was something under the turbo, probably the oil drain.

One of the parts supplied was a seemingly trick oil return that was a Y and tied the oil drain and air oil separator in a nice all gravity fed package. It was installed covered in insulation with much effort to keep it off the best of hot pipes, but it was not to be.

The insulation looked okish, but the drain itself was hosed.

Tried for minimal removal to access it (wastegate out) but it wasn't happening. So downpipe too, and turbo taken off the up pipe but left in the car. This was enough.

An OEM turbo drain was installed, and the AOS drain was rerouted to the top of the block.

All in all it wasn't normal turbo easy, but for that hot mess of a boxer it was fairly painless.

Did oil and filter out of caution about crispy drain bits. Nothing came out in the oil and a paper towel fishing expedition through the drain bolt yielded nothing.

Dyno soon.

This weekend a friend called with a spinning wheel stud on his 97 civic. Fak.

Turned into hub, bearing, and lower ball joint. He was floored at the effort but I was like "it could be worse, this isn't bad at all"

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Everybody wants a friend like you but most of us probably don't deserve it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

:3: Thanks!

It did the thing and didn't blow up! Video will take a while to upload but I'll start on that soon.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

https://youtu.be/DRxwUi08E7M?feature=shared

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Solid numbers!

And yeah, I wish I had a friend like you.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Owner of the civic was my neighbor. He moved a few miles away to live with his parents so he could help them with health stuff last month.

He also was my go-to for bleeding brakes and other I need a second pair of hands things.

This weekend was timing belt time. Stock single cam so easy mode.

Tons of room right?

Not to bad once you get cruise control, the power steering, and the motor mount out of the way. P/S stays connected, just unbolt and sit aside.

Not pictured, new water pump and tensioner got installed. Luckily the first timing belt didn't rtv it on.

Lined everything up.

Note on single cams. There are marks on the rear covers that can line up with marks on the cam gears. Ignore these and line it up with the top of the head where the valve cover gasket goes.

Spin it a few times, double check it all lines up, and set the tensioner. Rotate the crank 3 teeth ccw from tdc and torque the bolt.

Washed the covers too.

Huzzah!

Test drove fine, except the new wheel bearing is growling. A new timken is on its way from rock auto. I hate local parts store parts.

AdvilSmith
Aug 15, 2014

Broken! Busted! Everybody has something to repair. Before buying new, let Mighty Putty fix it for you.
Howdy fellow honda owners. I have a question that maybe you can help me with.

My 1994 Honda Accord EX, m/t has a RR trailing arm bushing that is hosed. Everywhere I look, that part is discontinued. So my question is this: which bushing should I get to press it in the trailing arm? Can you even do that with these? Am I SOL? Should I just zip tie it and hope it holds up?!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Why not replace the whole trailing arm?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Why not replace the whole trailing arm?

^^^

Depends on exactly what arm / bushing you mean. Option B would be aftermarket poly bushings. These have some daily driver downsides but would work. Prothane and energy suspension would be options to consider.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,1994,accord,2.2l+l4,1167263,suspension,control+arm+bushing,7532

Pics of the exact bushing would help us narrow it down.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

STI owner mounted a fire extinguisher in the car and got a custom tag for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdvilSmith
Aug 15, 2014

Broken! Busted! Everybody has something to repair. Before buying new, let Mighty Putty fix it for you.

honda whisperer posted:

^^^

Depends on exactly what arm / bushing you mean. Option B would be aftermarket poly bushings. These have some daily driver downsides but would work. Prothane and energy suspension would be options to consider.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/honda,1994,accord,2.2l+l4,1167263,suspension,control+arm+bushing,7532

Pics of the exact bushing would help us narrow it down.

Yeah I didn't think to take a picture. That woud have been a smart thing to do. I do have the service manual though.