Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

After getting the second a pillar close I realized something was off. It was way closer on the passenger side than the driver's. I realized the whole thing was shifted towards the passenger side and had one leg slightly longer than the other.

Trimmed it and centered it and tacked the whole thing again.

Then I made some gussets. I didn't want to terminate the a pillar bars in the middle of the bend, but just going to one side would make it weaker too.

Cool trick for small bits, wrap it in paper and rub a pencil on it. Then cut that out and put it on the next tube backwards.

That's sorted. Now having shifted the halo the tubes going from the main hoop to the mounts in the back were off.

So I cut everything behind the main hoop out and redid it.

Much better. I was able to just trim everything but the tube going between the rear shock towers. So I cut a new piece for that and tacked it in.

Plus dash bar.

That's most of the cage mocked up. Door bars need added and a lot of welding needs done. Door bars will be saved for later since they'll make accessing the car a pain. I crawled in and welded everything that was easy to reach except where the halo meets the main hoop. Then I cut all the tacks on the base plates and separated the front and back half of the cage.

And pulled the whole mess out of the car.

This weekend I'll try to weld everything up and get it back in the car. God willing I put the holes in the floor in the right places and when it's joined I can drop it down and finish the welds where the halo hits the main hoop on top. If not I'll have to take a hole saw to the roof for access. I've never tried this way before but if it works it will be awesome. I imagine there are some lessons I'm about to learn for next time though.

This catches everything up to the present day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

This rules, thanks for sharing it with us.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Glad you like it.

Cool one from work. My foreman drove this in today.

It's a crowley his dad built years ago and just gave to him. 25 hp. He's thinking about supercharging it up to about 50hp. Also has already installed a stock Miata sway bar for the first upgrade.

He's also got a Miata and EF civic both in track day spec. I'll grab pics of them when the get driven in.

Owner of the shop has a newer GTR, 400whp evo 8, a gsr swapped DA, and a 480whp ek hatch. The hondas are also track cars.

Asking for time off to go to the track will not be an issue.

Also we've got a guy with a bone stock, clean as a whistle 300zx TT.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
I really love the new type R, but I’d be so embarrassed to be seen in a car so ostentatious. Is there any way to replace the body panels on it to look more subtle, or would that just utterly decimate the aerodynamics?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I've got no idea. Haven't been following new honda stuff for a while.

Welding outside is done. That was so much nicer than laying on my back upside down.

Going to see if my neighbors free to help me get it back in the car.

Edit: he was and we did.

Tacked back in and I'm done for the day.

Halo got maybe a 1/4" wider from the welding. I could push it back by hand but the ratchet straps held it while I tacked it in. The back half plunked onto the pads close enough I'll just weld it as is.

Tomorrow, if I'm not destroyed from all this, I'll weld everything I can reach and then try to drop it through the floor.

honda whisperer fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 5, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I have an 3rd gen Civic I need to repair rust holes in, but my heart belongs to the EF, it's just the right mix of soft-edged angles and still has the full width rear plastics of the 3rd gen.

This project is awesome, you're a talented Honda Whisperer for sure!

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 6, 2020

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I have an 3rd gen Civic I need to repair rust holes in, but my heart belongs to the EF, it's just the right mix of soft-edged angles and still has the full width rear plastics of the 3rd gen.

This project is awesome, you're a talented Honda Whisperer for sure!

Thanks! 3rd gen civics are awesome too, they're light as hell and even rarer. I do agree on the styling though.

You know what's better than one project? 2 projects!

Recently totalled, I got this to pull the engine from. My neighbor is selling me a blown up accord of the same generation for cheap. So it's k swap time. I'm more of a b/d series person. Actually I've never even pulled a k motor before so this should be interesting.

Cage build is on hold so I can get the brz back in the garage asap. Stock to stock so shouldn't take to long.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
K24Z3?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Not sure. 05 accord donor to 07 accord that jumped timing.

Both 4 cylinders.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

What genius decided that the chassis harness should be connected to the radiator fans not just at the plug but with a bunch of little clips too. No don't just remove a couple plugs and pull the rad and fans as an assembly. You've got to separate them in the engine bay and then release a bunch of fiddly push tabs first.

Also they've made the spring clips for the trans cooler so wide normal pliers can only hit 2 of the 3 tabs unless you come at them parallel to the hose. That was cool too.

Got most of the wiring and fluid lines disconnected on the driver's side. Battery, air box, radiator and fans are out. Looks like once everything is disconnected the engine might actually pull straight up. Maybe a little forward for the header but seems like it will clear the frame just fine.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It really sucked pulling the 6-speed out of the 04 TSX so I hope the engine pull is at least easier.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

honda whisperer posted:

Thanks! 3rd gen civics are awesome too, they're light as hell and even rarer. I do agree on the styling though.

A friend of mine also has a 3rd gen and is doing what you're doing, swapping in a newer, bigger engine. She's got a b18 and is putting ITBs on it.

Tiny Hondas with chunky engines are the best, this thread is going to be so satisfying.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

honda whisperer posted:

Both 4 cylinders.

K24a4. Just a heads up the 07 has a DBW throttle body (and a k24a8), and the 05 has a cable throttle. Probably best for sanity’s sake to take the entire intake plenum off the 07 and swap that to the new engine- you can’t just swap throttle bodies over- there’s a different cutout for the cabled ones’ IACV . Also if one is manual and one auto, the auto has an extra vacuum fitting on the plenum for the front motor mount.

The k24z engines came in the next [08-13 or so] generation of accords.

E: oh yeah, awesome thread. Nice to someone else whose work let’s them use the machine shop off the clock- can’t say I’ve ever been that ambitious. I’m SUPER jealous of your work space.

glyph fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 8, 2020

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It really sucked pulling the 6-speed out of the 04 TSX so I hope the engine pull is at least easier.

It looks like pulling the transmission in place would be hell but for a whole drivetrain not so bad. Probably not worth doing my the whole thing for a clutch or whatnot but I haven't found any signs the whole mess is bigger than the hole it comes out of.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A friend of mine also has a 3rd gen and is doing what you're doing, swapping in a newer, bigger engine. She's got a b18 and is putting ITBs on it.

Tiny Hondas with chunky engines are the best, this thread is going to be so satisfying.

I may have been unclear, the race cars getting an obd0 b16. Buckets of fun but basically stock SiR setup. The accord is just a stock to stock swap to make a beater for winter driving. Having a k24 block laying around might give me ideas later though.

B18 3rd gen sounds loving rowdy.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

honda whisperer posted:

Both 4 cylinders.

Ah poo poo, I thought it was going into the Civic. :negative:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Sorry to disappoint. I've got a b16 from my previous EF with all the accessories to make it work already.

The good news is while the current plan is to make a safe track car for minimum price, I promise that if you give me time poo poo will get weird.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Excited about this build thread, thanks for sharing. I have a 89 CRX HF I'm in the process of working on, but I just had a kid so finding free time to work on the car is difficult.

Edit: I'm an idiot who can't read. That's rad you already have an engine for it, should be an easy swap, looking forward to more photos and updates.

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 8, 2020

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Cool. I always wanted a crx but they're impossible to find now. What's the plan for it?

Man the flash makes that look even uglier than it is. Fuel lines, wiring, p/s, and all the coolant lines are disconnected. A/C compressor is unbolted and stuffed in a corner. Axels came out surprisingly easily. They're shot. Hope the ones in the other car are in better shape.

I've got to figure out where I'm disconnecting the exhaust. The spring bolts that connect the header to the rest would be ideal but they look pretty rough. Flex pipe is smoked too so I might just take the sawzall to it. If that's not a nightmare I'll try and hook the engine crane to it tomorrow.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

honda whisperer posted:

Cool. I always wanted a crx but they're impossible to find now. What's the plan for it?

I've always wanted to build a dedicated track day car so I searched for a while to find a 88 or 89 HF. 1834 lbs from the factory! It's not in the best shape but it's mostly straight and rust free. Only downside is the aftermarket sunroof I'll need to delete, and the paint is tired. Right now I'm replacing the gas tank, fuel pump, and doing the rear disc swap while the tank is out. I picked up a 96-97 spec B18C ITR full changeover from HMO to swap into it along with all of the associated parts and bolt ons, just need to find the time to replace all of the seals on the engine and get it swapped.

You can see the 88 base model parts car I have in the background. I scored the best deal ever on craigslist: 3 CRXs for $750. Had to tow two of them home, but it was a great deal. Got one plated and smogged, sold it to a friend for $500. (gotta pay it forward)

Check out the :krad: paint job on the 91 base model I sold:

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 9, 2020

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Thats super clean and should be a blast. Insanely good deal too.

I would love it if this thread turned into the track honda zone so feel free to throw updates in here.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Got the engine out. Imgur upload is broken atm so no pics. It wasn't to bad. No finding the magic angle to sneak it out. Just up, forward, and up some more. I only missed one spot before I tried to pull it. Some quarter assed la croix of a motor mount on the driver's side. More of a bracket really. Transmission to subframe under the transmission mount. IDK wtf that was supposed to do

Spring bolts on the header went 1 for 2. I'll try heat and vise grips tomorrow.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I guess imgurs back.

It feels like all those ocean documentaries where some poor creature gets stripped to the bone on time lapse. More than anything else I want the bolts and fasteners. Life caused me to lose my bins of random nuts and bolts and that has been a huge pain in the rear end. I'll also stash the high cost small items I might need as spares later. Fuel pump, electronics, window motors, etc.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012
This thread is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So wait, why was this Accord totaled? It looks pretty decent aside from the missing bumper. Or have they depreciated so far that a new bumper cover is a total?

e: oh wait, I just saw the popped side curtain airbags. t-bone?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I think it scraped a fence? All passenger side curtains went off, right front broke the lca and tie rod, and all the bodywork on that side got beat up pretty badly too.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

HOLYFUCKINGSHIT.

There’s a harness connector in the pillar for the doors? You mean to tell me when I swapped passenger doors with my parts car, I didn’t have to gently caress around with removing the vapor barrier and threading the harness out one door and into the other?

loving DUH. :doh: :doh: :doh: I’d only ever seen connectors like that on the door side of the rubber boot, not on the pillar side.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ah okay, I see the hosed up bodywork now. I thought it was reflections. Broken LCA wasn't obvious until I looked at the disassembled pic after reading this - I assumed the knuckle was disconnected from stuff.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

glyph posted:

HOLYFUCKINGSHIT.

There’s a harness connector in the pillar for the doors? You mean to tell me when I swapped passenger doors with my parts car, I didn’t have to gently caress around with removing the vapor barrier and threading the harness out one door and into the other?

loving DUH. :doh: :doh: :doh: I’d only ever seen connectors like that on the door side of the rubber boot, not on the pillar side.

Lol only on the back doors! I could not find one for the front and cut it.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

And I found the plug for one driver's door.

Already cut it but drat it's kinda buried. At least I know where it is now but why not run the plug to the door.

Trying to get the dash out now and god forbid anyone could see a screw. Just hide them a little and everyone's happy.

Ugh this is going to suck.

honda whisperer fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 12, 2020

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

That magnetic tray is just dash bolts. It's not even loose. Wiggling a corner maybe goes 6" before it's clearly still bolted in.

This sucks so hard I'm looking forward to removing 15 year old honda suspension since it will be so much more straight forward and easy.

:negative:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I pulled the dash in my EJ1. It was a full tray of screws, and that was an old car. I can only imagine how bad it is now.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Should do the same on an older Subaru, it was a handful of bolts and pops right off.

(Where's that rattle coming from???)

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

honda whisperer posted:

This sucks so hard I'm looking forward to removing 15 year old honda suspension since it will be so much more straight forward and easy.

I feel this in my soul. Don’t know why but I love doing the fronts on any Honda with the double-wishbone front suspensions. Not sure why either, it’s just nice to work on.

I’ve never had pull a dash before. That looks absolutely terrible.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I found the driver's door plugs too. They're buried into the fuse box. Both sides not bad if you know where you're going.

If the car the engine is going into ever needs the dash removed I'm just pushing it off a cliff.

Edit: Starts flying apart without the dash.

That's where I'm quitting tonight.

honda whisperer fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 15, 2020

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Got the whole front subframe out, the rear interior out, the exhaust off, and cleaned up a lot of the mess all these parts are making. I can't wait to be done with this thing. Way to good of a deal to pass up and I'll be glad for a squishy beater this winter but it really lacks the fun of a labor of love. Also I really hope car engineers have an afterlife where they spend their days working on the cars they designed. Mitsubishi engineers are clearly in hell. Whoever designed this car is probably in purgatory.

Subframe!

The amount of interior that had to come out to reach the top of the rear shocks is criminal. It's in front of the bulkhead for the trunk area and behind the trim around the back seat. The cover over the trunk under the rear glass obscured the rear bolt on both sides. If I was coming at this as a "do shocks asap" it was accessable enough with a gear wrench but I'm used to there being a plastic hatch in the trunk that gives full access for no effort.

Rear headliner brought to you by hell raiser.

It took me way to long to figure out those were thumb tacks.

Edit: also I can't tell you how much I miss having a 2 post lift. I know this car was designed to have the whole front or rear installed as an assembly.

honda whisperer fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 17, 2020

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

IDK what it is about titles that it's always a nightmare. But I finally got it for the donor car.

Goodbye forever. On to getting the other accord in and swapped so I can go back to the civic.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I'm so glad I didn't find this thread until after I sold my EF, or I might have kept it. Brilliant cars, I was slowly turning mine into a race car as well (also planned for a B16) but found my Neon already ready to race.

Honda tax:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

GOD IS BED posted:

I'm so glad I didn't find this thread until after I sold my EF, or I might have kept it. Brilliant cars, I was slowly turning mine into a race car as well (also planned for a B16) but found my Neon already ready to race.

Honda tax:

Ready to race is hard to beat.

Blown engine is out. Got a few things to do to the running engine. Mainly timing chain and tensioner since it's a known failure point and a pain in the rear end in the car.

Also, again, gently caress some of the design choices on this thing.

There are little hooks on the top of the ac compressor. It makes it really easy to install, holds everything in place while you bolt it together.

It also means that if the 4" long and exposed to the elements bolts get so much corrosion on them that they don't want to come out, the compressor is stuck to the engine. Also the bottom two are pointed straight at the subframe with just enough clearance to disengage but not remove. Definitely not enough room to get in there with a pry bar or anything like it.

Also the fuse box in the engine bay is right over the transmission and has about 1" of slack to move around.

All fine if you're disconnecting the ac and dropping the assembly with subframe. Frustrating with an engine crane.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Spent some more time on the accord.

New oem honda chain and tensioner with aftermarket guides. That was downright easy when not in the car.

All buttoned up. Not shown, installing the crank pulley. Spec is 49nm + 90 degrees. I have no idea what that works out to in normal torque specs but it's a lot. Cage tube makes for an excellent cheater bar. Also my breaker bar is bent now.

Standing there, proud of my accomplishments for the day, I saw this.

Then I saw this

gently caress!

I thought there might be some issue donating an 05 engine to an 07 chassis but I was hoping there wouldn't be.

Both are k24 with the RAA head. All Ive found after looking more closely is just the drive by wire. I'm hoping that if I move the throttle body and wiring harness over I'll be good. So odds are I'll get everything together, then have to swap the transmission or something once it's in the car. Research is a nightmare since honda forums are bad. Signal to noise is just awful.

Off to order a throttle body gasket now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

And now it's the whole intake manifold going over. Per honda part numbers same head, same exhaust, lots of matching parts in the transmission, same injectors etc.

This will be interesting.