Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

No kidding. I’m a sucker though, and these pictures do nothing to stop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Time lapse first attempt. Theory: looks like a good angle and out of the way. Reality: I'm a flannel hunchback blocking the car.

https://youtu.be/HTd7cGrYhIk

2nd attempt. Works very well but 1 pic per second makes it an epilepsy hazard. Will try a .25 sec interval tonight. Should slow it down a bit.

https://youtu.be/5TOXxBt-veU

If the faster pics works it will be great. I've done a couple fabrication time lapses a long time ago and it was a pain. Battery wouldn't last and SD cards were small. New gopro makes it way way easier.

Also the staring at the phone with pod save America repeatedly... I'd butt dialed my phone but it was turning the volume down. I couldn't figure out why button noises worked but no podcast. So confused.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Oh my God what a complicated loving mess. The cooling lines go everywhere. The fuel lines are all up in their poo poo. Wiring harness too. And it's all happening under the intake manifold. Also it's happening behind the plates that cover the back of the timing belt mess.

The ebay valve covers had their baffle rivets ground off and then the baffles got glued back in. Back to work to drill and tap that.

New engine has about 6 Honda bolts it now too due to old stuff breaking.

Progress!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Props for all of that. The time lapse videos were pretty cool too. Bring this thing back to life!

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Slowly, carefully, it's coming together.

30nm + 45 degrees. Old timing belt as the sacrificial hold still tool. It worked surprisingly well.

New gears installed. Plastic ones replaced with aluminum. Fancy adjustables are new as well.

Then I put the belt on 3 times.

The belt comes pre marked for where it should land on the crank and each pulley. Easy right? Get it there, pop the pin on the tensioner, go for crank it over by hand.

Rotate it about 45 degrees and it stops. Gentle stop but stops.

Hmm.

Re read instructions, stare at it, shine flash light at it... why are the intake valves going down while piston comes up?

Oh because the engine showed up 180 out from TDC. Also the crank key is supposed to be down at TDC. What the gently caress subaru.

Repin the grenade, remove belt, 180 crank, reinstall. Cool rotates freely. 720 later check marks. Hmm it's a little off.

Rinse and repeat. 3rd install, 100% it's money, marks are still slightly off. gently caress it. Belt marks are money and moving anything 1 tooth would make it more off.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Timing covers sorted, oil cooler/ associated coolant lines sorted, one valve cover done.

2 trips to orileys, 1st for thread sealant, 2nd for a deep 24mm socket.

One tool I'd highly recommend.

At least for me I go from sloppy to rtv sniper. I guess subarus are sensitive to only getting goldilocks applications.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

You're making good progress. Definitely going to add one of those squeezers to my wishlist. Way too many crinkled up tubes of RTV in my life.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

You won't regret it. And yeah it's coming along. Not fast lol but I also don't want to have to pull it back out.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Ok! At the point where I need to start sorting aftermarket fuel and electronics routing. Well a few more sensors and misc brackets but close.

I'm thinking about putting it back in the car to give a second reference for where all this stuff goes.

Still taking time-lapse pics. Plan is to put that together when there's a pause or it's over.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Oh God damnit

Timing belt round 4. Ding!

Helped a friend do new ball joints and wheel bearings in his civic.

Fixture still works but it needs remade but strong. Air chisel is the ball joint destroyer. Brap brap and out.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Wrenches to remove the cam gears showed up today.

Also as part of sorting this out I learned there's a tiny screen inside these feed lines. And they're a problem. If they get plugged they'll blow your engine up. Better to let any gunk pass through and get to the filter.

Goodbye.

Awesome weather this weekend so hopefully tomorrow is install turbo, clutch, flywheel, and mounts. Sunday hopefully install the engine.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

:3:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Got the motor mounts installed. Then went on to the manifold, up pipe, and turbo.

This required pulling a bunch of banjos, fittings, and brackets off the old engine. And figuring out how some new stuff would go. The air oil separator drains into a Y at the oil return. Of course it had to be trimmed and messed with. Also the new cusco mounts needed half the parts off the stock mounts.

Fingers crossed its flywheel, clutch, install engine tomorrow.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Clutch and flywheel installed.

It's ready

Annnd

Got some accessories on too.

Finally worked up a shopping list.

While that's on the way ill button up what stuff I can. Then make charge pipes and a front mount.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Moving along at a good clip here :)

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Yeah it's not bad so far. Been trying to sort out the fuel lines for the top feed injectors for a bit. Factory the lower intake has butterflies I think for cold start? I'm not really sure but they've been replaced with those anodized ones in all the pictures. And new rails and injectors. It all came as different pre-made kits and only fuel lines were throwing me for a loop.

Once I figured out that the fpr went on the intake manifold it started to make some sense. There are no instructions, lines were unlabeled.

Flex fuel sensor goes here

Feed line goes to a y fitting under the throttle body then snakes to front of engine side of both rails.

Then the back side has a line on each side to the fpr. Bottom of the fpr to the chassis return.

It's a loving mess and they're all just gonna be kind of mushed in there with coolant lines and wiring.

Need to sort an fittings for the return to flex fuel to chassis hookup. That'll be custom.

Also made a tool to hold the crank pulley. Smudged greasy glove on paper, scanned, made a model, milled and welded on a handle.

Cars owner handled everything but the welding.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Parents came to visit last week so car projects sat. Back at it today.

New risers are not gonna work as is. Turbo inlet vs flange is no good. Ordered some 20mm risers to fix that.

Problem though? The new lower bits and the risers assume they're touching stock parts and both have o rings for gaskets. O ring vs o ring seems not ideal.

Thinking reverse engineer the risers and make o ring one side flat on the other. What say you AI goons. Wasted effort or worth it.

I considered just milling one side down to remove it but the intake juuuust fits.

Interference...ish.

From what I can tell this is normal subaru nonsense.

New version I'd also try to blend the part that meets the head so it doesn't have that flat step. Probably worth it for that alone.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

honda whisperer posted:

Problem though? The new lower bits and the risers assume they're touching stock parts and both have o rings for gaskets. O ring vs o ring seems not ideal.

Thinking reverse engineer the risers and make o ring one side flat on the other. What say you AI goons. Wasted effort or worth it.

I considered just milling one side down to remove it but the intake juuuust fits.

can you make a thin sheetmetal gasket-ish piece that goes between the two sets of o-rings? not ideal since you will still have 2x o-rings so 2x the places things might leak from, but as long as it's thick/stiff enough to fully compress both sets it should be fine

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Weld one o-ring groove above flush, then mill it flat?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Good ideas. I'll probably scan it Monday so I can make a model then weld it. If the welding warps it I can still make new ones.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Oh my God, you stupid wastegate. gently caress you forever.

Since I need back in the machine shop to do riser stuff, worked on the exhaust.

Step 1, bolt up the down pipe and mark it for an o2 bung. Recommendation is 18" after the turbo and angled down so water can't pool in it.

Sorted. Can be installed and removed without removing the downpipe too.

Next up was the wastegate.

Held in position and guessed the best clocking for air lines and the dump. Marked that, and installed a 5psi spring. After dyno tuning well swap it for something closer to full boost but the controller can only make it go up not down.

The dump that came with it was almost good enough but would have been spraying hot exhaust at something. I had a bit of stainless left over from the cobra so.

Then I crawled under the car. There were 3 positions I could reach. I can see it + 1 hand. I can't see it at all and 2 hands. I can kinda glimpse it from the corner of my eye and both hands are contorted.

Getting that vband clamp on. I don't know what I did to my finger but it was like a Charlie horse and was hanging out in a new and interesting position. Didn't smack it on anything, just contorted it enough I needed my other hand to reset it. 3 times.

Got it though. It'll be way better on a lift, but not worth that level of musical cars just yet.

New axle boot is already here. I considered pulling it to make it easier but now I know it's installed in a way that can be reached without pulling that too.

Ow.

Also put my TV up on the wall this morning. Made watching the f1 race while wrenching perfect. Great race too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That is some absolutely pro-tier wrenching music, too.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Hell yeah. Learned about them in AI too so thanks to whoever posted them.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

:hellyeah:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

First I did a highly technical process to reverse engineer the aftermarket parts.

Yep, rubbed some pencil on paper. Then I scanned it and used it as a canvas in fusion. If anyone wants an effort post on how that works I'd be game, just let me know.

Edit: Original on the right, new hotness on the left.

It fits.

Some adjustments were made. It was balanced to be more like what was getting bolted on top.

Old

New

Old

New

I was impressed the aftermarket risers are flat and parallel within. 0005" Gonna grind the new ones tomorrow to match now that I know it'll work.

honda whisperer fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 16, 2022

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

honda whisperer posted:

Yep, rubbed some pencil on paper. Then I scanned it and used it as a canvas in fusion. If anyone wants an effort post on how that works I'd be game

Oh hell yeah

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

So simple and loving awesome at the same time. Hell yeah

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Ok, sorry for the delay.

Basically there's an easy way to bring images into fusion and scale them effectively. You can do this with a phone picture in a pinch but its most effective if you scan a part or gasket. Also it works amazing well with prints if you need to model them. Whatever you use, you'll need something of known length. A scale/ruler something straight is ideal. The more measurements of the part you have the better.

Step one there's an insert dropdown, and under that you'll find canvas.

Once inserted it'll be in edit mode. You can roughly scale, rotate, and move it around. Just eyeball it close and hit ok.

Then on the left you'll see a drop down of canvases. Right click on one and pick calibrate.

It wont prompt you at all, but click on 2 points that you know the distance between. Then type in that distance and hit enter.

Now that its very well scaled, right click on it again and hit edit. Slide it, rotate it, get it where you want.

Then draw your sketch. If you have numbers from more accurate measurements use them, then fill in the rest by eyeball. Its not perfect but its pretty good.

You can add them on different planes and at different angles too.

The hole spreads came from a fancy machine shop thingy, but all the rest was eyeballed. Maybe took an hour all told (I've done this a lot).

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Fuccck. It was on borrowed time but still. So that's my weekend if I'm lucky.

Car update. Custom risers, after checking they'd fit, got ground and anodized. Helps a lot with fitting all the stuff under the intake.

While staring at that I've renamed meth "German engineering salts". Idk why I'm blaming the Germans for this but I feel it fits.

Also tapped the oil pressure switch from bspt to npt.

Owner whittled up some adapters for the aem gauges. The pods were setup for the rubber band style mounting and the aem stuff is shallow.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I didn't not take any other pics. Ow. Oh God that was to much work. Tomorrow's screw gun time.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Just a little short. Gonna pick up the last bits tomorrow after work.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Fence is done, work is insane, but it's finally the weekend and nothings on fire.

Step one, ditch the soundbar for speakers and an Amp.

If anyone wants a cheap good stereo Google dayton audio. There are better speakers but not for $60.

Car. Step 1, plug a hole. Going from maf to map so no reciric on the bov.

Done!

Upper plenum go!

Now bolt wiring harness to the bottom of it. It's probably meant to go on together. I don't loving know, boxers are stupid.

Got it though. Only dropped the 2 bolts about 6 times.

Fuel lines.

gently caress

I think if I remove the regulator and thread it it will clear. Will test tomorrow.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Hey dumbass, maybe the bracket goes the other way. It would raise everything up.... and I've eliminated every other possibility...

Oh look now it clears.

Installed plenty of room..

Big loop since a charge pipe has to sneak through this space.

And flex fue sensorl to the hardline.

Made sure every an fitting was tight and hit them with the paint pen. Went to hook up the sensor wiring and found that the wideband and flex fuel want to use the secondary o2 as their signal to the ecu. I'll have to do some research but gut feeling is wideband will become the primary o2.

That was about my limit for fiddly nonsense so I decided to tackle a fun one. With the intake manifold installed I can sort the intake to filter. Car already had a cold air, but the maf is going away and everything moved.

New filter and half of the old intake fit.

Some cuts and tacks later. Hmm that's not quite right.

More cuts, fiddling, and welding later.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Went to a friend's house for new years. Good times, slept on the couch. 8 am the next day, the accord won't crank. Ugh. God bless the jump pack in the trunk. No effect. UGH. It doesn't even register its hooked up so I'm guessing it sees good voltage. Much fiddling later and using it on the fuse block and a different ground works.

Muuuch better. All good now.

Today was gently caress with the new toy day. I bought a 3d scanner from creality. Short term goal is to use it to deign an intercooler and front bumper for the scoobie.

Much loving about trying to sort it out. Today wasn't day 1.

First, the white poo poo is "developer". Black and shiny aren't great for how it works. So I hosed it with aerosol foot powder. Basically baby powder in alcohol. Sprays on flat, wipes off dry.

Second, it hates large featureless surfaces. That's why pin striping, thumb tacks, and string everywhere. As far as I can tell so far pro ones like tracking dots but this doesn't get those. It does like lines though. It really likes thick lines.

Impression so far is its gonna slap for small items and struggle at big stuff.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

More scanning. I'm getting better at it and learning the software slowly but surely. I know gently caress all about meshes and working with them so it's a steep learning curve.

I'll post more about that later. Got sick of bad software, worse support, and just a general lack of information so I went back to wrenching.

New boost controller installed and plumbed.

Belts, radiator, alternator, fans etc.

Oil pressure sensor barely clears.

It's for a gauge so old pressure switch wire gets the ground.

Mishimoto rad got swapped for a koyo. Killer b upper fill thingy too.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Hondas!

Got a tow back from Costco in the accord last night. No crank. Good click no motion. I could not get at the starter to hit it. No tools on me. Truck driver same. Jump packs No change.

Not terrible to reach. Very cold. Battery voltage stays high when trying to crank. 1ish ohms for power and ground.

Got the starter from the donor, but it's got different plugs. Maybe I can swap em.

Nope. I mean I could or rewire but new ones on the way from rock auto. I'll look into rebuilding this one as a spare.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Accord lives again!

While I was waiting on shipping I did some subaru stuff.

Just to test the scans accuracy I made a quick bracket with the 3d printer.

Success!

Then I took some measurements, mirrored the bracket over, and brought in the bumper scan. That allowed for some quick and dirty modeling to rough out a bumper that should fit between the intercooler and the cover. Cover will have to be hacked up. Then I 3d printed full brackets. Gonna bend up a piece of cage tube and mock it all up before I design and machine nice brackets. And end tanks.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Ooh scope creep!

Better to find it now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

A relatively easy car to work on at least. Oh how I miss my del Sol for that.