Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yesssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hell yeah, nice work getting it running :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Man, I am envious of the amount of head room you've got in that car. :) Nice to see you keep plugging away at your list.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yes, for SM. You take points in NASA ST and TT for it though :rolleyes:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Are you planning to run a vertical bar down to the door sill, or just the X?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My car has R18/R10 GLocs on it, but I still don't understand the love for them given the price. I haven't compared them back to back with anything like I did with the Hawk DTC60, Stoptech SR33, and Raybestos ST43 on the S2000 so I guess it is something to try.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

honda whisperer posted:

Thoughts from that?

Iirc from back in the day, hawks were solid, cheap and hell on rotors. Cobalt friction was awesome but $$$. I had one friend that ran CL pads on his daily/full send 400whp Evo track car and they were awesome. We all decided sounding like a stopping train at the drive thru was a feature not a bug.
The Hawks were cheap and I felt like they were fine. They had an interesting feeling in that they felt wooden until they were warm and seemed more compressible for some reason in that the pedal travel was longer back-to-back with other pads (wtf?), maybe I am insane on that one. I did get to a point that I was fading the pads and delaminating them if I kept pushing, but that is my own fault.

I was fine with the Stoptech SR33 pads and the Raybestos ST43 felt basically the same to me. Raybestos has (had???) stupid generous contingency, I ended up with a pile of pads.

The GLocs I am running now feel very temperature dependent and lower on initial bite than the Stoptech/Raybestos, but again, hard to compare since it is a different car.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 6, 2021

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
RE: Piles of rubber bushing dust
Ah, yes, always fun :lol:

Is the BRZ your daily/street car? Details? I sold my Civic Si this week after a friend asked if I still had it so I've been lazily thinking about what to replace it with

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I was going to mention the 11" Mini / 11.5" Mini S rotor thing when I saw you say Corrado, but it looks like you've got that figured out. Hopefully they work for you given the lol price of them on Rockauto.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm not sure in the context of Honda, I know people have used them as a substitute on Miatas since the Corrado ones warp due to your mentioned venting issue though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You're going to murder the stock clutch with any kind of tune, may as well just make peace with that in your mind/wallet now

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It looks like its coming along pretty quickly :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That front damper setup is super neat, I haven't seen one like that before. Top nut and pull the cotter pin below to swap?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

honda whisperer posted:

Not sure what the wheels are. They came off the co-workers civic and are cracked. Perfect for building it but that's about it.

Classic 6UL :)

Yeah, you're for sure not posting into the void

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My S2000 had a Karcepts bar up front that used a similar bushing that you linked. It took a generic circle track center section with Karcepts designed arms that allowed any combination of adjustment holes without having to change the endlink length, neat design.

Rear was a generic circle track bar and ends with the same bushing you're using too.

I'm curious to see what you do with your rear brackets and how sturdy they are.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Those bar ends are lookin real nice :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What are you scanning into that with?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That's rad as hell, I hadn't realized there was software to go from pictures -> mesh.

Curious to see how it works out for you :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Like a glove. :)

I buy the dollar tree heavy duty oven cleaner, but I think it isn't recommended for aluminum / magnesium.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

honda whisperer posted:

Also holy poo poo oven cleaner eats grease for breakfast. Does nothing for oxidation but one problem at a time.

What did you end up doing for the oxidation?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Suburban Dad posted:

It's amazing that huge torque dip made it to production.

E: I guess it's only 20 ft-lbs but I assume you can feel it?

The pipes were from my supercharged white car, but I have the same setup on my blue car and it is night and day over stock even when it isn't on E.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That looks really, really good. :) I'm stealing that method for the K header.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hellll yeah.

Two things for the header:
1. A few days ago noticed that my steering rack boot has a good hole where the over pipe passes, I'm guessing this was caused by the heat from the header. Maybe your coating will save you :)

2. You're going to need to dent the under tray a bit for clearance in a few spots, depending on how stiff your motor mounts are.

Front pipe going in too? :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
8th Gen Si is a great car, buy one

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

Agreed. My only reservation at this point would be finding one that hasn't been abused by a chucklefuck that doesn't know what they're doing.

Yeah, I guess that is the challenge :smith:

PBCrunch posted:

The seventh gen Si is a good car, but slow. The shifter placement is awesome. It is a great candidate for a K24-with-one-of-the-good-K-series-heads-on-it swap.

Yeah, K24 RBB head can still make more than enough power and those motors are $800-1k pretty much all day. I was looking at putting a K20 head on the K24 I am putting into my BRZ until I started adding up numbers. It made a lot more sense to go the 4Piston CNC'd TSX head route given current used K20 head prices :(

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 7, 2022

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
This thing looks like a fuckin riot.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
For clutch slaves I usually bleed with the pedal first then I unbolt the slave from the trans and bleed by pressing with my thumb.

edit: make sure you get your hand over the plunger when you unbolt it so the cylinder doesn't come all the way out

honda whisperer posted:

If anyone has any ford header bolts back out pro tips I'm all ears. Maybe loctite studs and aircraft nuts? Aftermarket aluminum heads so that sides got to be gentle.

Idk if the header will be different, but on the Miata I used a combination of Resbond (you can buy a small dropper on ebay), inconel studs, and stage8 locking hardware for the turbo to manifold nuts. I'd hope Resbond alone would do it for you in this case if the safetywire doesn't solve it :v:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 13, 2022

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That wall came up quick :wtf: Glad it worked out in the end, but drat.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm stealing the poo poo out of that tape idea, good lord.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Are any of the K24 drop in cams worth it on a K24 that is stock other than a 50* VTC, K20 pump, and E85?

I intend to build another motor on the side, but still wondering if it is worth grabbing a set before I get this thing tuned in 3 weeks.

K20A.com is like a jungle, impossible to sort through at this point.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Those cool suit things are even more rad than I expected after I tried one for the first time :)

I'm a hans and helmet after I get in the car kinda guy, have you tried that?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I personally get in, lap belts, helmet/hans as one (have to bend forward at the waist depending on the cage/interior), helmet chin strap, shoulder belts, push hans back by tilting my head back, pull the shoulder belts tight, then gloves.

It for sure doesn't work in some cars because you can't get your helmet on with enough space though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Haha, I was going to say, that tire rub sounded like a seized wheel bearing through the GoPro.

Glad everything worked out for you :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Uh-oh, haha.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Moving along at a good clip here :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It sure is a beautiful thing when a plan comes together like that :chefkiss:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Beautiful. Did you use something like sendcutsend or do you have someone local?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm happy with the Haltech Elite 1500 I ran on the Miata and have in KBRZ...

I think downsides of it for me have been:
limited inputs
CAN is limited to the presupported chassis without the ability to add custom IDs or anything
bugs in pre-supported chassis can

Other than that it just works... but I am definitely not a tuner

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Lol yeah, I don't blame you there, buying into the whole ecosystem is expensive and not worth it if you've got an easy alternative like Cobb. The lack of CAN stuff is irking me with Haltech lately, I'd like to run a dash but the IC7 doesn't do lap timing, support the BRZ fuel gauge (computed formula using level sensor + amount of fuel injected), support BRZ ABS light (CAN), etc.

We require pics from the track :) Have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Does it not require an oil feed restrictor, or do you have that already in there (didn't see it mentioned)