Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Nascar bars are really nice on the drivers side for a little more space. Even if you don't need the space for seat or anything else it's nicer than you realize. Passenger throw some x-bars and call it good unless you expect a lot of passengers or want it to match.

edit: Looks like you still have complete door trim, not sure if you plan on keeping it. Even with trim you can get another couple inches with nascar bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

For the defrost if you've taken out the heater core there are various small radiator and blower units you can use. We used https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/demon-tweeks-micro-heater-tsdmch/ in our chump/wrl car and it worked great. Had it mounted where the glovebox would have been then some ducting to a couple vents did the job even in some pretty nasty conditions.

On the wiring side a big bulkhead connector at the firewall, or a couple smaller ones, is really nice. When you have to drop the engine and only have one connection to undo you'll thank yourself. It is expensive, time consuming and can introduce a failure point if you're not careful. I've seen some of the RyWire stuff and for the price it's a pretty nice, but not cheap, option.

Not sure if it's a concern on that engine but assuming you're not going dry sump I'd toss a accusump or similar on there somewhere.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Crustashio posted:

Belts: Skip SFI poo poo, go FIA for the 5 year expiry. My preference is schroth, mainly the enduro because of the adjustment being at the buckle. Very easy to belt yourself in.

Some good advice here. On the belts my preference is finding lap belts that you pull up or towards the buckle to tighten, way easier to get them just right and not run into the seat.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

honda whisperer posted:

I'm also thinking about adding an x between the rear most bit and where the top of the door bars meet the main hoop.

More X's are good. You'll be continuing that diagonal from the roof to harness bar to floor right? I'm assuming that's what the chunk laying on the floor is for. Cage is turning out nice, you'll be glad you spent the extra time with the door bars for more space.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

honda whisperer posted:

I also swore I'd never track a car without a cage again. Accident had nothing to do with the track, just made me really aware of how much that car was an empty beer can.

Once you've been on track in a caged car anything else feels really sketchy. I forgot my HANS for a open track day one time and not having that made me nervous. It's weird but once you get used to cage/harness/seat/HANS/etc anything less is uncomfortable.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

We've mostly ran Hawk pads for the past ~20 years of track days and racing, partially because they're great and partially because for a while we got a massive discount on them. We tried the Hawk Blue equivalents from Raybestos and PFC one season and they seemed fine but in the end we always went back to Hawk. Blue's for HPDE/endurance, something more aggressive for sprint races...Think I have the the DTC70 pads on the race car right now but haven't been on track to see how I like them.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

honda whisperer posted:

Waiting on the welder to cool off a bit, so posting while I wait. Off to midoh tomorrow to watch some prototypes do their thing.

That's some beefy brackets, looks good. Take pics at Mid Ohio, especially if you can wander the pits.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

honda whisperer posted:

Thanks to forums posts about this I grabbed a ball joint tool while I was at harbor freight Sunday.

Worked but slow. More power.

I guess it's great for getting them out on the car too. A first for me.

Hmm that's a pretty good idea, I'll have to keep that in mind. I need to replace all the wheel studs on the locost and without a press I was kind of dreading it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Catalytic converters are worth big money right now, which is why they're getting chopped off of cars more often. My brother sold the cat/s (not sure if two) off a lovely old land rover for $1200 a couple months ago, he only paid $800 for the whole truck.

Swaybar setup is pretty slick, arms turned out really nice. Fairly simple design but they look beefy and should hold up fine.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

honda whisperer posted:

Thanks! I kinda wonder if, after I've tested it, is there any market to sell this as a kit. Probably not since so few left and Honda people being so cheap about parts.

I feel like I've seen a ton of civics in the Grid Life Touring Championship, I could be imagining things but between that and all the other 'budget' race series I would think there might be a market. Probably not a huge market but if you can sell enough to cover a set of tires per season I'd call that a win.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Phone posted:

There’s an aluminum safe simple green but it’s kinda $texas

Was just talking about this with someone in relation to parts cleaners, Simple Green Pro HD Cleaner is marketed as safe for all metals. Home Depot sells it 128oz for $15
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Simple-Green-128-oz-Pro-HD-Heavy-Duty-Cleaner-2110000413421/100550784

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

That is a very nice meat box. Sometimes projects like that are a nice distraction from the more tedious parts of putting a car together.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

honda whisperer posted:

Now presenting the worst exhaust design I've ever seen.

The 4 into 1 into 4 into 1. It was the spec required setup. Any shorties on backwards and then that mess from the collector on. They do make long tubes but this was chosen for class as a cost saving option. Minimum weight was set by dynoing the car once a year so gaining power just hurt you (if you could hit you min weight)
That's amazing and terrible but hey it looks the part as long as you don't look closely. One of the upsides and downsides to spec series.

Race cars are great on lifts, you can stack so many. Can't stack normal cars with my 8' ceiling but race cars are no problem, I could probably stack formula cars three high.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Keep the certification paperwork in a binder with log books and everything else and you should be ok, take a bunch of pictures to be extra sure. Tech guys are usually pretty decent to work with.

This was at cars and coffee last weekend, made me think of the one you're working on.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Yup, a lot of sketchy poo poo gets through tech for autocross around here. Safety third!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Hylomar is another option, what most of the guys running Hewland boxes in formula cars, that is reusable and works well.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The hylomar rtv stuff is what I've used. Put a coating on both surfaces, let it start to firm up and get a skin then put everything together.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

honda whisperer posted:

Buttoned up.

E: oh yeah almost forgot.

Needs a razor on the end instead of serrated but lmao. Idk how many hundreds of rolls of electrical tape I've gone through and just never dawned on me till today.

Clean wiring is so worth the extra bit of time it takes. I hate cleaning up other people's wiring disasters but it's so satisfying to compare before and after.

Grabbing that tape idea, that's a good one.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

honda whisperer posted:

It's going out for the auto x as a shakedown. With gas wheels and driver it'll be about 2400lbs.

Last dyno it made 340hp at the wheels.

Properly rowdy and fun

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

honda whisperer posted:

I've gotta be honest I'm a little worried. The brz is my first rwd car. I've driven plenty but it's the first I've felt free to really gently caress around in. It's currently 200whp (ish per tuner no dyno so definitely less) at 3000lbs with driver.

15:1 power to weight.

The ffr is literally twice as fast. With no aids. No abs, no vsc, and no traction control. I plan on creeping up to the limit.

Going back a bit it looks like you have pretty meaty slicks, if you can get heat into them and be precise with your right foot you should be ok. Auto-x so worst case you'll loop it a few times trying to get a feel for it. It should be a very communicative chassis which should help feel when things are getting near the edge.

Learning a car with a power:weight like that is a very gradual thing. You've got a good base of experience and you respect the car, you should be ok. Have fun and don't forget to get video!

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jul 13, 2022

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Race car life is zip ties, gaffer tape (seriously good stuff, look it up) and temporary fixes that last for entire seasons or longer.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

honda whisperer posted:

Good enough. I need a nutsert tool. Bolt would beat the self tapper for retention but later. Tomorrow I'll try to drill holes in the cases and route the USB cables.

This should allow for recording until the SD cards are full.

That's pretty nice and blends a lot better than our version... 4-plug cig adapter velcro'd then duct taped to the trans tunnel.

Isn't it nice mounting cameras to things with cages and a nearly infinite amount of places to place it?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

BA5 gonna get everyone at this rate, it sucks. Hope your symptoms are mild and the recovery is quick, get the antibody injection if you can but if not the antiviral is pretty decent. Take it easy and rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

That is a spicy paddock of fast expensive stuff.

I miss the track :smith: