Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I've got a bunch of Honda parts from my old EJ1. PM me if you need stuff.

Good luck! Those EFs are a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
The only video of my EJ1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WxZO7irJ-8

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

honda whisperer posted:

Hell yeah. Built bottom end or stock internals?

I'm all for people posting about their Hondas in here.

Stock D16Z6 with a big T3 .60/.63 from a 300ZX. I managed to keep the front bumper intact too, no massive intercooler in your face. It was a fun build, but never really went anywhere. I got it tuned and then real life took over and I eventually sold it for $500. I still have an AL radiator, moates romulator, chipped p72, and the LC1.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 28, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Yeah, it was a fun car for sure. There's a pretty lengthy thread in the archives. 450cc DSM blue tops, tuned in CROME.

Considering I have no idea if they work, email me and I'll ship them over. Username at Google mail.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Responded. It's a P28, actually. Looks ok inside.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Dude, you're THAT guy with the engraved bend. Nice work, doubly so on the bend gauge. Functional improvement of a borrowed tool is the perfect repayment.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 30, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
My pleasure. It wasn't doing me any good sitting in a box. Glad it got there intact.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I pulled the dash in my EJ1. It was a full tray of screws, and that was an old car. I can only imagine how bad it is now.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
LOL. Yeah, lots of gaskets look like the old cock'n'balls.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Another vote for CuNiFer brake line. I ran all the lines in my 2500hd with it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

honda whisperer posted:

Custom shift knobs now possible.

Also ef coworker brought in a Miata rotor to compare vs the corrado. That'll be after work tonight.

5-axis... pure sex. :geoduck:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

honda whisperer posted:

Never tried turbo civic life myself. I've worked on and driven a ton though. Weird how a car can roll through a friend group. For a while my DD was an EG hatch that I was the third owner of without it changing where it parked.

It's weird because I know that's happening because I do the same thing but brains are dumb.

Some of my friends finished their vaccines recently and i got to share that whiskey with them. Very popular, thanks again.

Ask away. I love explaining the theory behind this stuff.

They're fun as gently caress. I'm glad I sold mine because it was definitely jail bait.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Woop! Engine in engine bay!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

now I have two type R motors. There are worse problems to have.

Stick one under the hatch. Durocco-style.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Cap those tubes, soldier!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

honda whisperer posted:

I hadn't planned on it but I suppose I could 3d print something as a hat. Is there a reason to outside of rust?

I contacted my closest hondata dealer about getting one and "sorry we no longer carry that item"

Jhp USA says they're in stock so I ordered one off their website. Fingers crossed.

Rust, snags, and general appearance. Capped tubes look pro.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

honda whisperer posted:

No idea what that's going to look like yet though.

IME, a complete mess. Hopefully they've got automated routines to clean it up and de-clutter, but referring I've seen in this realm is super tiny triangles with no consistent geometry. I'll be watching to see how you make out, though.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

asmasm posted:

Hello,
Wrench dev here. Looks like your latest scan is totally usable. If you have questions feel free to ask.

Of course. loving awesome.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Yeah, the one-step-above-cheapest HF is decent with real grease.

Or you can buy a Makita or Milwaukee or DeWalt or German Metabo.

or one of each, in different sizes

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
If you need someone to bug F5, lemme know. They're fifteen minutes from me.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

honda whisperer posted:

Got the nose off the ffr and then my neighbor came over and asked if I could look at her Santa Fe. Transmission issues. Not something I know a lot about but said I'd plug in the code reader and check the fluid levels. 1 cel for secondary O2. Fluids low but didn't take much to top off.

Drive it around and it's stuck in first but feels fine for first. Just won't shift.

Some googling later apparently it's a common problem if you spill a drink on the center console.

Pulled all that out, blew a bunch of ???? out of the plugs and now it has gears again. Apparently it thinks it's in sport mode but can't see your inputs if you put it in sport mode and manually shift.

What a weird failure mode.

It doesn't involve the window switch, so it's not that weird.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Cointreau. No simple syrup. Equal parts lime juice, cointreau and teq.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
It lived. It died. It lives again!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Fallows posted:

My friend says a tune will fix this.

This tells me that you don't have the correct tune, aren't doing it yourself, and don't have a shop lined up. This points to you driving it with a mismatched or base tune. You'll blow poo poo up if you keep doing that. You need to get a wideband and datalogging setup going immediately.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Hoo boy, that wiring needs some love. Crimped spades on exposed relays, a bunch of grounds with questionable crimp ring terminals, no heatshrink.

We can help you. I might even have some parts from my turbo D series. I sent the ECU to someone on here I think, but I might have the HuLog, a GM 3-bar, an Ostrich, and maybe my old Innovate wideband O2.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

honda whisperer posted:

You did it was me lol. I upgraded it to hondata so I'm paying it forward by sending Fallows the ostrich that came with it.

LOL. My memory isn't great since baby shark came along.

And Fallows, we can get that thing sorted but you're gonna need to take your time and do poo poo right. Like Honda Whisperer says, "little stuff" like coolant temp is important. Any sort of electrical fuckery is going to play havoc with tuning and reliability. It sounds like a lot of people have had their hands in/on this car, and the first step is to get everything squared away without pushing 10# of boost on an untuned ECU. It'll cost money to do it right, but you'll end up with a reliable car that makes good power instead of a car that makes crappy power and blows motors. If you're running that rich, you're washing down the cylinder walls and diluting the oil, probably pretty badly. I street tuned my EJ1, and it was way faster than it should have been. I never got the funds to Dyno tune it, but if I was in the same position now, I'd have skipped the street and just paid for a good tune. I was using CROME. poo poo's come a long way in 15 years.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Holy poo poo, CROME is back. John Cui disappeared for a while and it was abandonware. It looks exactly the same. It worked but was kinda kludgy. Somewhere I have a laptop with a legit license, but for $50, that's awesome.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

honda whisperer posted:

Yeah I'm utterly floored that crome was the survivor. Browsing pgmfi.org feels like playing fallout.

I was on homemade turbo more than pgmfi. HMT was about what you'd expect for that era of the Internet. Is Xenocron still around doing tuning and sales? He was in Jersey, iirc. I wonder who took over CROME.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

honda whisperer posted:

Never tried gaffers tape, I'll get some, used plenty of duct tape though. Lotta zip ties on this thing. I've been replacing them as I find them. They're old enough to be brittle.

Gaffers tape has a fabric base and the adhesive is bonded way better so it doesn't leave a sticky mess. It's also able to handle heat without melting. It's absolutely worth the cost. The GafferPower brand from Amazon is decent, but not quite as nice as the professional brands.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

honda whisperer posted:

Going to call around for prices tomorrow and hopefully drop them off Tuesday. I hate tossing the tires on the wheels but they were made in 2015. Not worth the risk.

Glad you got off easily.

2015s don't smoke when spun? Huh. I would have thought they worked well for a celebratory burnout.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Fallows posted:

I'm not reckless anymore and understand the risks I'm taking driving the car on the street and am semi careful right now.

Oh good, you'll only be semi-dead then. Or the people you hit street racing will only be semi dead.

Get your head screwed on straight or gently caress off out of here. We're not going to help you kill yourself or others.

https://imgur.com/a/mZr29pM

Fallows posted:

I am young and dumb with cars.
At least you're somewhat self aware.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Weld one o-ring groove above flush, then mill it flat?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
:lol:

Too soon?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
That looks a million times better.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
:kazoo:

That's awesome. Congrats on a successful project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Solid numbers!

And yeah, I wish I had a friend like you.