Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

The North Tower posted:

So we know what time zone they’re using for launch date? I’m hoping to be able to play next Monday night (PST) since it’s only 8GB.

We usually hit the big release button in the afternoon Central European Time, but I don't know if we've announced any exact timing for CK3 yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Here's all of them: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_3rLv22kp6TJGpYqtG0HHuq7phA0slJT

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

It hurts how hyped I am for you all to play the game.

No game is perfect, but this is without a doubt the best PDS release I've worked on (and no the bar isn't low!! Some of Stellaris is good!!!).

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

With a tem outta :tem: from IGN, I consider the stain on my reputation that is their 6.3 review of Stellaris erased.

edit: there u go

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

I didn't think your reputation was stained because Stellaris is still my favorite and I have over 2000 hours in it :shobon: That first fact may change though given what these reviews of CK3 are saying :eyepop:

hello to my new favorite poster

Zeron posted:

Yeah I'm really amazed at the 3D models. I was super skeptical when they first announced them but wow, they really made it both work and be an incredible improvement over portraits.

The art team truly went above and beyond. We all did; this is not a game Paradox Dev Studio could have released as late as just a couple of years ago. Not that there won't be missteps and disappointments (in other titles) in the future, but I feel CK3 has fundamentally transformed the games we make and how we make them.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Ham posted:

Congrats on making what looks to be a phenomenal game, and I was also on the Stellaris train from the start! I'm curious though, what changed internally to allow for the kind of shift you speak of? Is it simply good project management and tech investment?

Probably some structural changes and investments, some of which have come naturally as a result of our growth. I think we've been on this trajectory for a long time — maybe since the studio was founded, the long arc of history — and CK3 happened to be the right envelope, at the right time, for us to push.

SubNat posted:

By the way, do you know if there's going to be an exporter of some kind to help with getting 3d models into the game?
Like how there is a maya plugin to allow for exporting the animated portraits in Stellaris?

3D is a slightly different beast than regular script+image based mods, after all.

There are discussions happening internally about what can be done to support asset modding, but at the moment we have nothing to share but what's about to be posted in the paradoxplaza modding forum on release.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

It's so great to see all of you (or at least most of you!) enjoying the game! Just wanted to pop in to say

1. ilu :love:

2. We're keeping a very close eye on the issues some of you are experiencing. Some things are working as intended but are inadequately explained, some are edge case glitches, and some are, well, CTDs and outright bugs.

Aside from previous announcements (such as the ruler designer coming in a free update at some point), you won't see us commenting on individual issues in much detail, even if they may already have been addressed in an internal build. But you are seen!

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

DurosKlav posted:

Also I know you guys are based in Sweden, but lets pump the brakes on Swedish bias!

no

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hey, Lord Mune, would it be useful if I made a list of the points in the tutorial where I, a near-noob, was hopelessly confused? I mean, more than my usual state of confusion.

Absolutely! We may or may not already have a tweaked version ready for a future patch, but the evolving nature of our games means we're never going to stop working on the tutorial.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Petter V, who's now moved on from Paradox Dev Studio but spent years churning out a lot of the top-quality event content you're now enjoying in the base game, just released his first mod: Tony Hawk's Pro Crusaders 1 + 2

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Digital Osmosis posted:

Figure I'll ask again: I'm trying to make a mod to add some new names (given and dynasty names) to a culture. Do I have to include them alphabetically, either in the culture files or the localization files? Or can I just throw them in at the end of the big list?

They have to go in both the localization files and culture files. Order doesn't matter.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Get yourself some really stupidly long 1.1 patch notes

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

If you didint enjoy CK2, theres a 0% chance you will like 3

I'm very biased, but CK2 was mostly borderline unplayably impenetrable to me while CK3 is definitely comprehensible. That helps with the fun. :shrug:

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

The Little Kielbasa posted:

To the pdx people in here: thank you so goddamn much. Now go make an expansion so you can take more of my money.

Well, if you insist!

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

^ this

Whorelord posted:

Whoever decided to rename the Wendish Empire to the Southern Baltic Empire deserves to be fired

You know what? I'd do it again. (it was a team effort)

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

Patch messed up letters with accents

Is this continued from a 1.0 save? If so it's on our radar, if not it will be soon... Saves usually aren't cross-version compatible, but 1.0 to 1.1 works. Mostly.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

TorakFade posted:

Oh. And I see it's a known bug since at least the end of September judging by some paradox forums' bug reports. Nice, nice, I didn't want to enact this cool decision after going from Count of Vermandois to Emperor of France anyway :mad: :argh:

That corresponds roughly to when fixes were made to the decision internally, it should be making its way to you in a future patch.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

My gut as someone who does SW dev for a living and someone who has noticed how technically sound CK3 is as system (I gripe about immersion and balancey stuff but the core "does it run" parts of it have been rock-solid for me) is that they're investing a lot more effort into verifying changes before they go out the door.

We're trying, thanks for noticing :)

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

A God drat Ghost posted:

I can't tell from their dev diaries if they're going to fix the random family members hooking up with each other at feasts thing.

I'm unsure, not all adjustments make it into the patch notes... I'll try to investigate this for a future patch, if nothing else.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Dallan Invictus posted:

Toasts are a term for the little notifications that show up at top center of the screen, so it's likely referring to that, but who knows, there might be a flavour event too!

Toasts are the brief scroll-like notification messages up top, indeed. The stacking messages in the bottom right are called feed messages.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

scaterry posted:

It's actually bugged and capped at 0 friends, apparently

An issue with old saves unfortunately, fresh games should be fine.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Midgetskydiver posted:

I discovered this bug on a fresh game using the ruler designer.

Huh! That shouldn't happen, will look into it.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Midgetskydiver posted:

I discovered this bug on a fresh game using the ruler designer.

We had a quick look at Friendly Counsel internally, and were unable to reproduce the bug with a ruler-designed character. Do you have any further info?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Midgetskydiver posted:

I have a saved game where I have the ability to choose the Perk but have not done so, if that would be helpful to send to you.

Thanks for the offer! We have repro cases on some potentially related issues now, so no rush — feel free to DM me a link if you already have it uploaded though :)

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Trevor Hale posted:

I’m truly not seeing it work at all. I wrote down my numbers before selecting the perk and nothing changed. The children bonus a few steps down the ladder gives you a pop up if you max out. Friendly counsel isn’t doing that.

We've found some additional weirdness with Friendly Counsel and its ilk (in no small part thanks to this thread) and are investigating!

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Didn't see it linked yet, but we stealthily dropped the 1.2.2 hotfix patch notes yesterday.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

We are working on the game :)

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Well, exact details can and generally do change from plan to execution. Caveat: I'm off the project, don't listen to me.

But there will be info on some content soon-ish, as stated in the dev diary.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

it seems unlikely that they're all thinking as individuals either, that just seems computationally disastrous.

well,

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Disclaimer: I no longer work on CK3, nor even at Paradox.

But I can assure you that the team shares your frustrations re: not getting stuff out the door. CK3 is several orders of magnitude more complex to develop for than CK2, the quality floor is significantly raised, and the organizational complexity is greater than anything PDS has dealt with before. There are mitigation strategies being worked on for all of the above, but I can't say when you will start seeing results.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

A cool post, always appreciate the (former) insider perspective. Is there anything you can share about why it's so complex? Like is that organizational complexity a quality management thing (understandable given that there are almost no bugs at all in the releases that I've noticed)? Or is there something particular to the CK3 engine that makes it difficult to develop on?

Sort of all of the above. Higher-quality code, script, and text all take longer to write than lower-quality equivalents (not to mention the R&D going into e.g. DNA for lineages of 3D character models, for a studio traditionally concerned with nominally flat maps as the chief visual element), doubly so if you're pushing for increased flexibility and design ambition at the same time. The increase in complexity and time needed translates into more developers for "less" output, which strains organizational processes and know-how. It also makes QA more resource-intensive while the tolerance for bugs has plummeted, et cetera and so on. The version of the Clausewitz engine CK3 runs on isn't more difficult to develop on, but the possibility space it allows coupled with internal and external demands on the product make the game incompatible with the development practices (and release schedule) of CK2-era PDS games. But the organization is evolving to, hopefully, strike a better balance going forward.

EDIT: I should note that the above isn't PDS-specific in any way. Many (successful) game dev studios have gone or and will go through similar experiences. The growing pains of ambition.

LordMune fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Don't suppose you're willing to spill the tea on how much - if any - effort is spent on grounding features historically? Expecting the game devs to be reading history books on the side is probably too much to ask, but is there any other approach?

I mean, gameplay comes first. But the USP of the game kind of requires that designs have sufficient grounding in history in order to provide an appropriate level of verisimilitude. PDS does not employ historians — though they do employ developers with history degrees — but some modicum of research is expected when e.g. a content designer writes events about subject x, and so on.