Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

eonwe posted:

this will be my first CK game

We have such sights to show you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Swedish Horror posted:

Who is everyone planning to start as? Might do good ol' tutorial Ireland to get a feel for the new mechanics and then do a count in the HRE.

The Khazars are prob going to be an early run for me.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Looks like they came down on the side of "definitely loving" regarding Urraca and Alfonso VI. Funny, but probably gonna annoy alot of the ubernationalist types.

I'm glad of it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

AG3 posted:

I haven't been this hyped for a new game since Mass Effect 3. I'm even cautiously optimistic that I won't be as disappointed by the ending :v:

1453: Mehmed II approaches the gates of Constanstinople with 3 buttons...

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Why is game not out yet?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ah Tanistry, the solution to keeping my domains together!

some nobody I never heard of becomes high king because my vassals think my preferred heir will just stay in the rear end-crack of Wales after I die

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

For some reason the entire british isles went Coptic. I have no idea how that happened.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Wanted to report that the Scholar perk tree is perfect for goody two-shoe players like me that could never get into murdering and/or sleeping with half my family. Being able to just buy claims with piety lets you expand at breakneck pace.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I miss the execution sound effects

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Took me almost 50 hours to figure out how to build a Keep :downs:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So a cosmetic mod that I was running inadvertedly broke by grandaughter's wrist. Who knew?

(spoiled for mild :stonk: factor)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Getting back into this after a hiatus. I want to do a Khazar run but in my first attempt my realm exploded pretty much instantaneously. What's the best strategy (I'm also open to playing a vassal)

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 29, 2021

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

One feature I would like to see is to make it default that you get to pick which heir you play as when you die. If I have two kids and think that the younger one would be more interesting to play as, then I shouldn't have to manipulate my eldest into a monastery or an early grave to do so. (especially if I want to play out stabbing my way to the throne). And yes, switching characters is right there in the menu, but I think the option should be presented more up front.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Isn't "Gold" supposed to be an abstraction of peasant labor/food and raw materials/actual coinage?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the fact that rivalry is always considered a two-way street is a bit weird, although it's probably intended to keep things simpler for the player. It would maybe make more sense if there was like a step on the way towards rivalry that was just "hatred" or something, where if one character hates another they just get that, but if both characters hate each other, then they become rivals.

If they do allow for one-way rivalries, then there should also be an achievement for having a ludicrous number of 'rivals' that you don't care about named "To me, it was Thor's day"

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Been having a hell of a time defending against a crusade for Spain (loving little count armies carpet sieging provinces :argh:). But it's not helped by the fact that I keep seeing my armies just suddenly...lose. Like I'm wining battle, then go try and check on all the other bullshit going on, then I turn back and my armies are being routed! And no amount of reinforcement alters the outcome Like what the gently caress.

It's bullshit like this leads me to feeling no shame in just opening the console commands, cause if the game won't play fair I don't see why I should.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 12, 2021

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Maybe, but there were like two guys left in the opposing army. It felt very much like "and this battle bugged out from you flipping around"

I also agree with faster battle resolution. Would make it easier to deal with carpet sieging.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So riddle me this: I'm playing as Duchess Matilda. I spot that the Duke of Serbia has a genius son so I marry him. Eventually I land him as a vassal count. Then as I'm on my way to forming the Kingdom of Italy, I notice that my domain limit drops. It doesn't take me long to see why: my husband is no longer my vassal, and the two counties I gave him aren't even in the HRE any more! When his dad died, he got one county in the inheritance, and no duchy titles. Nevertheless, he transferred vassalage over to his older brother.

Just, what the hell, game. :psyduck:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

megane posted:

I've considered modding the little flag-topper icons. They're very difficult to tell apart at a glance.

I prefer the CK2 shield icons to CK3's crown and banner. It also helped to make different parts of the world seem different (even if mechanically they weren't).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

zoux posted:

It's a goddamn inoperable tumor

And you call yourself an english monarch

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Is the expac live now? I just tried playing the game and saw none of the new features.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My son keeps forming a faction against me only to disband it instantly. This happens a few times each month. Very bizarre.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

TjyvTompa posted:

Is it a faction to install someone else with a claim while that claimant is imprisoned by you? That is what seems to happen.

No, it's to install himself.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

This might be because of the mods I'm using (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2712590542 is the most likely one) but I'm noticing that the AI is much better at forming Empires. I'm playing in 867, and the Umayyads, West and East Francia, and Italy formed empires fairly quickly. Has anyone else encountered this?

(also easier to form next level titles in general. I was able to create the Kingdom of Sardinia with only one ducal title.)

Edit: also the Empires of Mali and Carpathia formed relatively early.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 12, 2022

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

CapnAndy posted:

Is there anything like Invasions from CK2? A claim/CB where I also automatically get every title under the one I'm warring for?

The closest is "Invade Kingdom", because it gives you the title of whatever you are occupying. Unlike CK2 there is a time limit for grabbing territories after you hit 100% War Score. I don't know how long it is, but at a certain point the game will automatically press your demands.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

CapnAndy posted:

That'll do just fine. How do I get access to that?

I think the CB is only available to certain faiths. I know Astaru has it, and I believe the other unreformed faiths have it . Certain Islamic faiths may also have it (like Ash'ari).

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mirthless posted:

Honestly learning education focus is kind of OP and you should try it out sometime

a lot of the time if you start a character out with a learning education you can finish out another entire profession page before your character dies. 5-6 traits is not impossible. The tree that ends in whole of body buys you about 40 years.

:hmmyes: still remember my initial playthrough where I used the Forge Claim perk plus the boatload of piety I got from a Crusade to form the Kingdom of Burgundy

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm getting back into CK3 thanks to getting the ATE mod running.

Did education get a rework? I'm having trouble parsing what education a kid is taking, which has led to some poor guardianship choices. Also there used to be a way to set the education. Has that been moved?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Education got a slight rework, but how you set their education hasn't changed. If you click on the character, on the upper left hand side will show what lifestyle they are focusing on. You can click on that to change it, but you can only change it once, and when they get too old it becomes locked. I forget what age it gets locked at, maybe 10?

You can do some extra things like influence their personality at any time instead of waiting for specific events.

Okay, it's been a long while since I played so I guess some basic mechanics just fell out of my head.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I've been having a lot of fun with the After the End mod. While there are parts that are still being worked on (California in particular), there's enough variety in place to make jumping around a lot of fun.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I will say that the music talk led me to downloading a mod to use CK2 music instead, and I greatly appreciate the change.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I hope they get the plague mechanics right, as I found the final implementation in CK2 to be a drag. I always slammed the gates immediately when the plague warning sounded, and put every spare gold piece into hospital infrastructure. But seeing how it worked in older versions ("you and half your family dies, oh well"), that doesn't feel good either.

No idea what a good system would look like, and I'm not going to immediately assume this won't work, but there is a certain pit in my stomach from CK2 whenever I see those brown clouds roll across the map.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So what is the accepted meta around lifestyle paths? I've sort of sussed out which ones to go with and which ones to avoid, but I'd like to see a comprehensive breakdown.

Regarding the upcoming DLC, I'm really excited for playing landless characters, because they seem to be engaged in their whole own side of the game that the player only sometimes comes in contact with.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 7, 2024

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Also, if they open up what could be defined as your successor (which they've already done a bit by adding adoption), then that opens the door to playing in the Catholic Church.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Well that's what the "ambitious" trait is there for.

Some 'opinion of predecessor' modifier when a title changes on death, or an accumulating offset bonus for everyone knowing who the next ruler is, would go a long way to creating a dynamic between rulers and vassals.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Doublepost: Is there a way for characters to get the Shrewd trait organically?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Then that should be reflected in those specific circumstances rather than the default being "every time a ruler passes on, half the realm revolts because they can't conceptualize that the old boss eventually dies"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

VideoWitch posted:

I'm pretty partial to After The End. It's still in beta but it's far enough on it doesn't feel too jank, and it's got some pretty cool smaller starts

Can attest to this. It's not on Steam yet but you can get it on their Discord. Of non-highlighted starts, I've discovered that their nomad government captures the best parts of CKII nomads without inheriting the old jank.