Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Veryslightlymad posted:

One thing I would like to see is with hooks: we know that if you have a strong hook on someone, you can force them into your schemes, but I bfeel like they should have an opportunity to expose their own secret, depending on what you're asking them to do. Like, if you ask someone to murder someone they have an enormous opinion of, there should be some people who still refuse, even at great risk to themselves.

Imagine having a strong hook on a rival king and trying to get him in on your plot to murser his only heir. No one would do that.

I like the mechanic, but it has potential to be really stupid depending on if it is literally a "cannot refuse" or not.

I think this is how it works? If someone uses a hook on you, you do have the option of refusing and it will expose the secret (and causing the hook to be lost because it's no longer a secret).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm a bit more optimistic about CK3 just because CK as a series has a much more specific focus than Imperator did. The character driven, dynastic gameplay is what makes it unique and they are clearly focusing heavily on that. Imperator is a weird mess of ideas that are all kind of interesting on their own but don't really come together in a cohesive way. Stellaris has sort of the same issue, but they've had more time to hammer away at Stellaris to try to figure out what its deal is (I think they aren't quite there yet, but I do still like to play it sometimes).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kiev is also a good choice.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghislaineof YOSPOS posted:

Did claim fabrication happen as much in real life as it does in these games? Where do these ancient land holding come from anyway? When did the land get divided up into duchies and counties? I thought it was all ruins of the Roman empire.

It was a lot more dynamic in real life than in the game - it uses the ones it does because those are the borders that we ultimately ended up with but most of it was determined during the period the game is set. As for claim fabrication it's sort of hard to say, I'm honestly not sure how much "claims" even mattered in real life, it usually just boiled down to if people wanted something they just took it. At most they might make up some sort of political insult that demanded retribution but the general casus belli thing is more of a gameplay conceit than a realistic depiction of how warfare worked in history.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The other thing about claim "fabrication" was that it was often just about tracing some distant connection to someone who once held the title, which could easily have been completely real in the sense that such a connection did exist; it's just that it was such a distant relation that using it as justification for why they should hold the title personally is flimsy. There's a lot more interrelation in real life than in CK since the game will attempt to cull extraneous family members so there are a lot more dead ends on family trees - but in real life those people just kept on getting married and having kids and even if 99% of them ended up being unimportant, they could still serve as a connection to make one of these sorts of claims.

It's like the thing about how basically anyone of European descent could legitimately trace themselves back to Charlemagne. It would just be a matter of finding the documentation that would be used to prove that connection, which your average person probably wouldn't have but royalty almost certainly would.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

luxury handset posted:

also one of my favorite factoids about versailles, literally anyone could go there and just hang out around the royal palace as long as you were dressed appropriately. appropriate dress could be rented from hawkers near the front gate. it's like how back in the day the american president was regularly constantly bothered in the white house because any loving person could just sit around in the white house hoping to chat with the president about whatever

We should bring this back, really. People should be able to wander into Buckingham palace and chill with the queen.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Magil Zeal posted:

Maybe Control in your county is low so you aren't getting the full amount?

This is my guess as to why that's happening as well. I think the levy count shows the maximum theoretical levies your territory can support, but if control is below 100 it will stop replenishing before that point. Vassals tend to be pretty bad at keeping control at maximum so it's pretty common that you won't be at 100% control throughout your entire realm.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TorakFade posted:

Played the tutorial. Since you start with just one (relatively bad) heir that's already adult, I told myself I'd remarry a young lady to try and get a couple more sons JUST IN CASE.

Turns out Murchad is a hell of a stallion and fathered another 4 sons + 1 daughter within 8 years. Proceeded to conquer the duchies of Connacht and Ulster, took money from the Pope, formed the kingdom of Ireland title and diplo-vassalized two of the three counts left. The last one was a 70 years old rear end in a top hat that wouldn't vassalize willingly, so hey I'm younger than him (55) and have a shitton more levies, so let's just conquer him even if it pisses him off more. I promptly died two years later and my heir (who only managed to produce 2 daughters despite me marrying him to a comely lady) got the kingdom, the duchy of Munster and the capital county only while my horde of half-brothers got all the rest. And of course due to -20 short reign penalty, bunch of claims everyone has on everyone else around and my mediocre stats/traits everybody that's not close family mostly hates me, and family barely tolerates me.

Cue the birth a faction for installing the now 72 y.o. pissed off vassal as king, which I try to resist but I now had 700 levies vs their 2000+ so there was not much point. Got back to being a count, the old bastard king finally croaks a couple years later, so now one of my half-brothers is in charge and the kingdom rules changed to elective for some reason. Decided to call it quits at that point because that's 5 hours of my life that just evaporated and I needed to be at work this morning :v:

10/10 will play again and a loooot more

a few random questions and thoughts:

It might be that my characters were all especially bad at intrigue, but is there no hostile scheme besides murdering people? For that matter, is there any personal scheme besides sway/seduce? The lifestyle perk points came pretty slowly so I didn't have much of a chance to pump up my skills and options that way, I know diplomacy has a perk that unlocks the befriend scheme and intrigue has a perk for fabricate hook and abduction schemes but it seems like there's not much choice there unless you're going down the schemer tree. Isn't there some kind of plot to revoke counties from your vassals and stuff like that?

Education is weird. I like that you can choose to modify your ward's traits by "paying" with your own stress, but I don't like how there's no way to give them an education different from yours (that I have found). Do I have to give my child as ward to someone with the desired education trait for the last couple of years like it was in CK2?

I like the new building system but I get paralyzed when I have to choose what to put in my holdings. Gold is precious and I want to make my builds count but I'm afraid of getting the wrong one all the time. I should probably stop overthinking and just build things that give me money, I guess.

All in all it seems that there are less decisions and events, but that might just be that I didn't play too much. I miss societies and artifacts and I hope they'll come in a DLC soon.

You can change their education focus but the game doesn't make it very obvious - it's a little book icon that will appear next to their portrait when you select them, that will show up when they turn 6 or so (I'm not sure the exact age). You can only change it once but by the time it shows up their childhood traits are locked in so they aren't going to suddenly develop one that will make them fail at their educational path (at least, specifically. They might still develop traits that make them lovely students in general - although I don't know if stuff like lazy actually does have an impact).

Fader Movitz posted:

Is there a map mode to see the level of control in counties or a bar or something somewhere? I Keep getting the pop up but it's annoying I can't seem to find an overview or ledger.

There doesn't seem to be one in the map mode selection itself, but when you pick the "raise control" job for your marshal it will show control levels. Although you kind of have to figure out what the colours mean by yourself.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

So, if you go digging in the tenets for religion reform, there is one called "Natural Primitivism". The stat effect of it isn't that interesting, just a bit less stress generated, but it also makes everyone following that religion go nude.

Is there any religion in the base game that actually has this, or is it just another joke from Paradox?

Adamitism

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

disaster pastor posted:

Is there a good plan or smart order for taking England/Scotland/Wales from Ireland, or is it just "when you see something that looks like an opening, pounce and hope?"

It's pretty much this, but it can also be useful to get an alliance with one king to take on the other. Scotland + Ireland is strong enough to take on England, or ally with England and eat Scotland first.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So I'm a bit confused about how dynasty heads work - I thought it was supposed to be the most powerful member of the dynasty, but this is my current situation:

I am the king of Ireland and Wales, but for some reason the house head is an unlanded person, and the dynasty head is one of my own vassals (who only has a single duchy and county to her name). So what's going on here? I can't even form a cadet branch because the house head's "government" won't allow it (since she's unlanded).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to revoke a duchy from someone without revoking all their other titles? Like in CK2 you could JUST revoke the duchy and assign it to someone else, but when I hover over a duchy title in the revoke screen it says that revoking it would leave them with no landed titles, which seems backwards (they only have one county and it'll let me revoke THAT, but they just take another one from one of their vassals).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Anyone played long enough to see what the gently caress happens when the mongols stroll in?

They showed up in my playing past the tutorial Ireland game, and since I was on the other side of the world I didn't really pay much attention to them but when I vaguely remembered them later I went over to check and they were just gone. So you get a notification when they show up but they may not amount to much (it is possible that they conquered a bunch of territory then broke up into a bunch of successor states on Temujin's death, there was a good 50 year gap between when they showed up and when I remember to actually go check on them).

SubNat posted:

Yeah, it should have come up in the text box over what you'll get out of the interaction and etc.
I do wish the stress icon was visible on every thing that causes stress, or more visible.
I think it only really shows clearly on event screens, it's easy to overlook it on for example the grant claim screen, etc.

Yeah I've noticed a few UI problems in windows that are non-standard, like the blackmail button. The one that I've noticed a lot is that if someone comes to you asking to pay the ransom of the prisoner you have in your dungeon, nowhere on the window does it indicate what they are actually offering for them.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 3, 2020

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

I love that there's already a mod that lets you make your characters nudists. Can't wait to rule w/ an iron fist and big ol swinging grandma titties.

fakeedit: dear god the implications this mod has for loverslab....

It's not a mod. That's in the base game.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Captain Oblivious posted:

Wait, so how the hell are the Castillians holding on to Castille/Leon/Galicia over multiple generations early on in 1066? They shouldn't have access to Primo yet :psyduck:

They should have exploded by now but they've been nothing but rock solid.

Lots of single-son generations? Alternatively maybe the AI has been deliberately disinherting people to keep the titles together, although I'm not actually sure if AI dynasty heads will use that ability.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dee Ehm posted:

So apparently one of my earls has a claim on the entire drat Kingdom of England. I am currently the King of Scotland and Wales.

I want to make absolutely sure I am reading this right. If I win this war, the Earl Ealdhun will become a King, but STILL be my vassal despite the fact that I am only King rank myself??

The war should be a quick slaughter, but I really don't want to waste the time if I'm just going to be giving taking the country away from my cousin to give it to an unrelated vassal who would proceed to immediately become independent.

Pretty sure I'd be on the cusp of becoming Emperor of Britannia after this fight.

I feel like this is probably a UI error, because it says he will both become independent and become your vassal, which doesn't make any sense, and most likely what will happen is he will just become the new king of England.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zero One posted:

Even though I only sent 1500 troops I ended up as the biggest contributor to the Crusade and my niece became Queen of Jerusalem (with a Crusader Queen trait).

It's a big boost to my small Irish dynasty.

Yeah the way it measures war contribution is weird. I ended up far and away the #1 contributor of the first crusade by showing up early, getting my poo poo completely wrecked, and then jumping into massive brawls where my allies already have a 2:1 advantage and somehow getting all the credit for winning them despite being an insignificant presence on the battlefield.

Swedish Horror posted:

It's so loving bizarre that they did really good on some elements, and then stuff like education, changing capitals, and probably other poo poo is completely out of the way.

I think the thing is that none of these are problems once you know where to find them, but the tutorial completely neglects to mention them so you are just left in the dark hunting around the UI, not even sure if the thing you want to do is even possible.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I asked this earlier in the thread but didn't get an answer, and I don't think I explained it very well so I have a screenshot now to help a bit.

I want to revoke the duchy of Essex here, but just the duchy title. It seems like the UI believes that I want to take both the duchy and every title underneath it, and won't let me select it at all because it would leave her unlanded (even though it's the opposite of this; she would be keeping Buckinghamshire and I am taking the title with no land). You could take higher tier titles without the counties under them in CK2 so I'm not sure if this is a weird UI thing or if they've changed how it works and you just can't do that anymore in CK3.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I hope they add more involved things with friends and lovers in future patches and DLC.

Like as the King of Ireland I'm banging the (reigning) Queen of Scotland. Despite being friends and lovers, having +100 relations, and having a couple bastards together, there's not much more to do there with the relationship. It'd be great if you could spin something like that into an alliance, or even a religious conversation (she's Cathar).

Being friends/lovers actually does have a bit of an effect beyond an opinion boost - friends/lovers can't join factions against you (same as if you had an alliance). So making friends with your strong vassals can give you a very stable realm. There is also usually an extra "friend/lover" boost to the AI's acceptance of certain diplomatic actions that is in addition to the bonus you'd already get for being +100. Befriending the Pope is a great way to get a shitload of claims because he will be way more likely to say yes to pretty much whatever you want to ask for.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Party In My Diapee posted:

So dynasty head succession follows primogeniture rules and don't xare about who actually succeded? Thats really dumb

House head does, dynasty head passes to whoever is the most powerful house head at the time of the previous dynasty head's death. I think house head's succession rules are specifically based on your general realm succession laws, so if you have title specific ones like the various cultural elective variants you can adopt like Tanistry, you'll follow the elected character (because it's your primary title), but the house head will still be handed off to the first eligible kid.

I'm not sure how it behaves with seniority succession when that's set to your realm law, I haven't tried that out.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Incelshok Na posted:

I hope one of the DLCs does more with religious syncreticism especially around conversions. If I'm Norse and don't quite get Christianity, well, I'm used to sacrifices. Drinking the blood and eating the body is a little weird but if that's what the Pope in Rome demands, who am I to disagree? If I'm a Christian next to Muslims and they keep handing me my rear end in combat maybe I'll decided that God is angry and I need to destroy all the graven images. Or maybe I'll decide that all my generals are drunken pieces of poo poo so we'll prohibit alcohol instead. Or maybe we just need more bodies so it's time for more wives. Ancestor worship vs veneration of the saints? Chabuduo. A cool mechanic here would be "minor" vs "major" heresies that depend on favor with the religious head, dread, secular power, time and divergence would be awesome. The crazy Duke of Anjou wants to start eating people at Mass, well, he's getting excommunicated. But when the newly converted King of Norway does it, well, that's just a misunderstanding of the finer points of theology and not something worth getting excited about. Plus the last person who tried to talk to him about it ended up on the altar for Mass. Those weird mendicants are Waldensian heretics but these weird mendicants are faithful Franciscans.

Also there needs to be an esoteric order of Dagon that escalates the scaly trait to Innsmouth.

Yeah I think it would make sense to have "devolved" versions of religions show up instead of straight up heresies, where they are still mostly the same and recognize the same religious head, but being so far away from the Pope means that you don't quite have as much direct instruction on what a "good Christian" is supposed to be doing. This would probably need some kind of tweak to the religious system though since it would basically be another level below "faith" where you get like an offshoot faith instead of a brand new one in the same religion.

Unlucky7 posted:

Question about Vassals: If your current character eats it, will the vassals of the old character continue to serve the new one?

They will serve under whoever owns the titles above them, which usually is going to be your heir, but might not be because of partition. Vassals where you aren't their de jure liege but nobody else is either will go with your primary title.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

appropriatemetaphor posted:

yeah lol my current rule has it and he has mental breakdowns when inviting new knights to join the army. can't even talk to his wife who hates him without stressing out.

I honestly love the stress system for this, it adds strategic depth to choices that would otherwise be no-brainers and really makes you feel the impact of your traits beyond minor stat bonuses.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xerophyte posted:

If you have a strong suspect you can always imprison and torture them until they give up all their secrets. Kidnap first if they're not in your court.

It's the Liam Neeson school of parental grieving.

One of the fun things about Crusader Kings in general is how you can often have very strong suspicions about who killed your character/heir, and never actually know if you're right. Being able to dig up secrets from characters only adds to this because you can drive yourself crazy trying to find the murderer and end up barking up the wrong tree the whole time.

There is a fun bit in the old Byzantium mega-LP where during the CK2 section there were two extremely significant assassinations of the active ruler, and the thread had all sorts of theories about who did it. When that part of the LP ended, the OP used a save editor to dig into the history files and find out who actually killed them and every single theory in the thread was wrong. One of the characters killed was a Russian culture ruler who inherited the Byzantine empire through marriage shenanigans and was absolutely hated by the entire Greek part of the empire and survived multiple attempted assassinations in a row - but it turns out he was killed by some petty Russian rival he had from his days kicking around as a ruler in the north. The other major assassination was of child empress that led to the end of the original dynasty (the LP just picked up by taking over as the new dynasty) by passing the title on to her patrilineally-married sister (who was the thread's prime suspect as the murderer). The person who did it? Some random lunatic courtier who had nothing to do with anything

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SubNat posted:

Odd tangent, but has anyone been able to lose weight?
It is kind of strange that you take the decision to lose weight, take a pretty notable stress penalty... and then nothing.
It's been around a decade and a half, and I expected atleast like, an event or something to pop up.

I get that it's supposed to be a pretty sizeable penalty, but it also feels strange that you don't get events for stuff like 'hire a trainer / rumors of a cook that makes healthy food.' etc.
I'd vaguely expect something like throwing a feast and then the guests being annoyed that you're serving healthy things instead of the normal stuff, etc etc.

But I suppose that is one of the bigger differences between CK2+8 years of dlc and patches + mods and CK3: There's a lot lot lot fewer events to go around in general.

Have you had a mental break since you took that decision? One of the potential stress relief traits you can get from mental breaks is "athletic" (which is pretty great - you get a decision where you lose stress in exchange for a minor general opinion penalty for a year because you smell sweaty from working out so much), and I wouldn't be surprised if having taken the decision to lose weight makes this more likely to be presented as an option.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

So negative popular opinion can lead to peasant revolts and stuff like that, but is there any benefit to having positive popular opinion in a county?

I don't know in general, but Scandinavian Elective gives bonus voting power based on the popular opinion in that ruler's capital county.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dante posted:

What's the best way to compare counties in terms of what to keep and what to give away? I don't really see any useful correlation between the development, levy and tax statistics.

The best metric is counties with more baronies are better (even if they aren't filled, they have a higher ceiling on their potential than smaller counties), and counties in your home duchy are better (you can only hold two duchies without penalty, and vassal dukes get pissy if you personally control counties in their duchies, so it's better to consolidate all your holdings in duchies you personally control), and a extra attention should be given to counties with unique features. Often the value of a county is less what it does right now and more what it can be grown to do. Give away the crap that has no future.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

Ok Im still playing my Irish tutorial game and two of my vassals apparently declared war on each other? Is that a thing? I was in the midst of a war with a nearby county and I notice one of my vassals being chased around by my other vassal until he was killed. Then the vassal who was attacking seiged the other vassals county and took it over for himself. After it ended both county's are still under my control but under the one winning vassal.

Yes, vassals can war with each other so long as they're both under the same liege. Having high crown authority means they can't do that anymore. As their ruler you probably want to keep a general eye on it because if a vassal gets too big they may decide that they would make a better king. If you see a war happening and really don't wan't the aggressor to win, you can demand that they end the war and if they agree it ends in a white peace (you can also demand that the defender surrenders if you do want the aggressor to win).

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 5, 2020

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Speaking of dynasty warriors, the Dynasty Legacy screen is giving me true analysis paralysis because it takes so long to unlock. I blew a bunch of renown during my claimant war in the hopes it could provide an advantage... still don't know what to focus on going forward

Yeah they are extremely long term decisions and I feel like the typical playstyle of a player coming from CK2 will probably not get the most out of them so it's probably going to require a bit of a shift in thinking before people really start to figure out how to use them effectively. You need to spread your dynasty around as independent rulers to get the most renown, rather than just having them all as vassals.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

Warscore contribution is hosed up. My kids are set to inherit the Byzantine empire and there was a rebellion against the tyranny of the current Emperor which he was losing. I rolled in, captured the revolting dukes capital and liberated like 6 counties for the Emperor resulting in 100% warscore and victory.

My contribution to the war:

0%

Yeah I had this happen too, I think it might be an issue with intervening in a civil war.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SubNat posted:

On one hand, I am shy, and trying to befriend someone is like +35 stress.
On the other hand, every friend I make reduces stress gain by 5% -and- gives 2 random skill points. (Family Hiearch branch in diplomacy lifestyle.)

Befriend, get stressed, drink, befriend. Repeat until dead.

Realistic depiction of an introvert tbh

cohsae posted:

All of a sudden I got a notification in my to do list thing that I can arrest my son/vassal for "attempting to murder a family member." But how on earth do I figure out who it was? It's not in my secrets or anything and I didn't get a notice from my spymaster, so I have no idea how I know about it.

I think this is because they attempted a murder plot and failed and were discovered. It's not in your secrets list because it's not a "secret", everyone found out about it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I really don't know why the AI keep starting so many wars they can't possibly win. They actually have more soldiers now than they started with because they keep dragging their allies into this losing situation.

On a different note, what determines who is the dynasty head exactly?

Dynasty head is the most powerful house head (not sure how exactly "most powerful" is calculated but I think it's similar to powerful vassals where it looks at levies and income), but it only changes when the current dynasty head dies, so if someone eclipses them in power, they will still hold on to the position.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Not the Messiah posted:

One thing I've noticed is that people seem waaaay too keen to convert religions when their realm population doesn't match them. Which sorta makes sense but gets very bizarre when people win a holy war then immediately convert to match the religion of the land they just invaded...because of the different religion

Yeah this happens with culture conversions too, it makes the "reclaim Britannia" decision harder than it should be because one of the requirements is for all of your powerful vassals to be Brythonic or Goidelic, but anyone you give a duchy to in Scotland or England has a habit of converting to the local Scots/Anglo-Saxon/English culture.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tetramin posted:

Lol poo poo, the plague is coming through too and I don't have a doctor. I did two doctor searches so far and get to pick between a sadistic "rapacious craven" and another sadistic high intrigue butcher. we'll see how this goes!

Edit: Lol yep this game is totally over, the plague wiped everyone out like, immediately.

I had the plague hit, and my doctor caught it, which disqualifies them from being the court doctor, so I did a search for another court doctor, who after I hired them promptly caught the plague themselves. Yet somehow when the entire plague passed through only one person in my court died from it, after 14 people caught it, and my own character never caught it himself.

I do miss the disease mechanics from Reaper's Due a bit - it's not a big deal but it was kind of neat being able to see the plague spread across Europe and slowly work its way towards your territory. Especially fun if you were in one of the areas that it could potentially skip over and sitting there wondering "is it gonna miss me or not".

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tetramin posted:

Could anyone give a quick rundown of playing as a tiny single county count? Lol I’m finding myself lost starting out with 50 gold etc. I suppose do good marriages for allies, try and build up my castle, make friends and go from there? Try to grab another county when I can?

One thing to bear in mind is that this is basically hard mode in the game - it's not as difficult as a OPM in EU4 but it's still much harder than starting out as a duke. Most of the advice I'm about to give is from experience playing CK2 so I don't know how well it holds up in CK3, but I think they are similar enough that it should still basically work:

1) If you have a huge same-religion kingdom near you, ask to let them vassalize you. You are much more vulnerable to getting your poo poo stolen by being independent as a count. If the only people around you are other counts, you are safer, but even a nearby duke can be a risk and worth submitting to pre-emptively in the short term. Being part of a larger realm also gives you more opportunities for conquest, because you can now individually invade other counts under the same duke/king without having to take on the entire kingdom. The best playstyle to go from a count to a king is to be a tumor in someone else's realm rather than trying to conquer and create it yourself from scratch.

2) Get used to waiting around a lot. You can only expand by kicking people while they're down, so there will be a lot of waiting for opportunities to present themselves. You can use the time you're waiting to set up a lot of marriages and try to form good alliances, but as a count it will be harder for you to get them since most dukes or kings are not going to see you as a worthwhile ally. Making friends with them can be very helpful for this.

3) Focus heavily on martial as your primary stat. Since it will be hard for you to get good marriages as a nobody, your main way of expanding will be through direct conquest and your power will come much more from your ruler's stats than your territory itself - CK3 gives you some extra opportunities here, and going heavy on knights is a good way to punch above your weight. Knights with 20+ prowess are worth hundreds of levies.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Eej posted:

Really enjoying how all these succession issues echo real life. Nobles resisted primogeniture for a while because they couldn't take advantage of succession chaos to jockey for power anymore.

Yeah honestly I like that primogen is much later in the game than it was in CK2. Gavelkind was basically just a "tribal problem" even starting as far back as Charlemagne. You dealt with it for maybe 2-3 generations at most and then it was a non-issue for the rest of the game.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Midnight Voyager posted:

The sister is great too. Play your cards right as either of them and you can have all three Spanish kingdoms easily.

That's why I stopped playing my Norse run, it happened loving every time. Every time, someone else inherited my capital, even if it was the only loving county my main character had personally when he died.

There is SURELY something wrong there.

I think it's a weird sort of bug/not bug situation where it's technically consistent with the rules, but not really intuitive behaviour and should probably be changed. So here is what is happening:

I am assuming that on your primary title you have one of the special elective succession laws (given that your nephew inherited which wouldn't happen otherwise), and since it is your primary title the UI will mark whoever inherits it as your "primary heir". However, all the titles below it would still be using the realm laws, which I am assuming are still some form of partition, meaning they will go to eligible children based on the algorithm there. It went to your granddaughter since your first son was dead, and the children of a firstborn are still higher in the line of succession than the secondborn (although if it's male preference this would change, but I am guessing you might have equality as your gender laws? If you don't then I'm not sure what's going on). This is also why she inherited the house head title, because house head follows the same inheritance as primogeniture. The main issue is basically that it the elective succession laws don't seem to carry anything else with them, even though they should (since you can't inherit only a kingdom title). So what ends up happening is your heir inherits the kingdom, automatically usurps some random county from one of their new vassals (which is the behaviour when someone inherits a landless title and has no land of their own), and then all the rest of your poo poo goes to other people.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zeta Acosta posted:

sorry for the dumb question
im playing the tutorial and im already on my own but i cant marry me son, i send an invitation to some french girl with high administrative stats but when i send the invitation it changes to her profile and doesnt let me make the proposal, what im doing wrong?

You need to click the bar to select her as a match rather than on her face directly. It's a bit confusing and I do this by accident all the time. Clicking the face is the shortcut to open someone's profile.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Unkempt posted:

Well, I want Ulster and hey look! It's at war with Alba! Hey, Alba has a Queen - maybe I can marry someone to her, get an alliance... no. She's already married.
To the King of Ulster.
Who she's at war with.
Hmm.

don't kinkshame

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Furnaceface posted:

Oh god do not pick Africa as a starting place if you arent prepared to be constantly at war. I think the AI needs a bit of a tweak, this seems unnatural.

Also how do I change religions? Or reform one? None of that is covered in the tutorial and I feel like its going to be a big deal if I want to start in Africa and expand into Europe.

You can do both on the religion screen. On your own religion there's a button at the bottom to reform the religion (or create a new offshoot if it's already reformed). On other religions, which you can open up by just clicking on anyone's religion icon on their character info, or clicking the "other religions" button on the main religion screen and picking one from there, that button is replaced by one to convert to that religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

DurosKlav posted:

As far as I can tell there is no objective other than "England" which i control most of. Or at least I did until a new 60k stack showed up a year or 2 after I wiped the last one off the island. I control the land of guy who is proclaimed the king of england and its still saying 0% of the objectives controlled. Hell I even own Toledo which is the ruler home duchy.

For ticking warscore, control needs to be absolute, which means either the attacker needs to occupy every holding in the target, or they need to be controlling no holdings in the target. The former will give ticking warscore to the attacker, the latter to the defender. "Most" isn't good enough to count for ticking warscore.