Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The North Tower posted:

Does anyone know if 1066 starts have pre-assigned Dynasty paths (I think that’s what they’re called? Like L2 Blood, Kin, etc), and if so are they randomized or anything?

I believe the information I saw on the discord was no, they wouldn't, but certain dynasties would start with like 900 points so they could assign one very shortly after the game's start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I'm going to be playing from day one because really I don't see any scenario where I don't enjoy it for at least a few dozen hours or so, also I want to get started on learning to mod it. I have some ideas I'd like to try out, and I found Stellaris modding to be easy enough to learn after doing some Civ 6 modding in the past.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

What are muslim mechanics like?

We don't know many specifics, though Muslim realms tend to be clan rather than feudal which means they don't have vassal contracts and instead contribute taxes/levies based on opinion and it is somehow encouraged for you to place your dynasty in charge of territory. I imagine the rest will depend on the specifics of each Muslim faith, as CK3's religion system is much more robust than CK2's.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I missed out on the discussion about powerful vassals potentially wanting the same council seat. I hope they implement honoraries like “assistant to the realm Chancellor” and traits like “naive”

I think they deliberately left out "advisors" this time to try and force you into the position of either appointing skilled courtiers as councilors or keeping your vassals happy (and making do with whatever skills they happen to have).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The North Tower posted:

Comely becomes Beautiful when they’re of age? Not sure. Not sure; maybe they’re separate. Watching the Ghana video.

It seems like certain congenital traits (Intelligence/Physique/Attractive) have levels, this is referred to in the "Blood" legacy where it talks about strengthening congenital traits. I believe Comely is level 1 attractiveness, Pretty is level 2, while Beautiful is level 3. Likewise that Amazonian/Herculean trait posted earlier is almost certainly max level physique.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 26, 2020

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Sindai posted:

The weird thing about the Ghana video is that conquest is supposed to reduce fervor so I would have expected it to fall instead of staying pegged at 100. Maybe all that human sacrifice counteracted that.

My understanding is that it's not conquest that reduces fervor, it's holy wars, and the player deliberately avoided holy wars to save piety. They used county conquests to expand, I believe.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Wyld Karde posted:

Has Rimmy's video on spreading the faith of Tomboyism been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q6NkCOV9bg

Twenty minutes well spent.

It was kind of funny to watch the cycle of get crusaded > surrender > reconquer lost kingdom > repeat.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Every second streamer selecting Carnal Exaltation for one of their new faith's tenets. Why am I not surprised?

Meme potential aside, the fertility boost was pretty good if it hasn't been nerfed since it was revealed.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Servetus posted:

Rimmy's video jumed around a lot over the course of 150 years give or take. He just didn't focus on succession and inheritance while he was trying to establish his anime sex cult.

Yeah he definitely went through multiple rulers, his first one died at around the 8 minute mark it looks like.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

You might be reading a bit much into it. I'm pretty sure the reason they're in costume (well, some of them at least) and affecting accents is because Paradox encouraged them to roleplay and mailed at least some of them crowns (judging by a paradox comment on one video), and OPB invaded Poland because that land was needed for the "Unite the West Slavs" decision. But, you know. You do you.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 27, 2020

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Guest posted:

Yeah it's pretty cool and not at all shady how publishers are now paying a bunch of biased fanboys to show off their games while actual games coverage outlets who won't shill for them are still locked up behind NDAs.

"Games coverage outlets" received review copies back in May if I'm remembering correctly. PC Gamer, IGN, Rock Paper Shotgun, and GameSpot at least all put out videos (plus some articles) back then. Not sure if that's specifically what you're referring to, but there's some coverage out there that isn't "YouTube influencers".

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Yeah I'm going to do the tutorial on my first run most likely, with the goal of eventually forming Britannia and then maybe conquer France for good measure.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Doltos posted:

Since spiff sent me this I count this as him breaking the NDA

I'd like to say this is the result of stacked Fertility bonuses (that character no doubt has amazing fertility between Whole of Body + Fecund + possible bonuses from religion/dynasty) and the diplomacy perk Sound Foundations for +1 random skill per child, but it would be weird to get as far as Sound Foundations and not take Patriarch so I dunno. Unless he got Scholar/Whole of Body first and didn't go into Diplomacy lifestyle until later. :iiam: The Family tree has other potentials for crazy stats too, with the Befriend scheme and +2 random skills per friend.

It looks like the mug/horn traits can be leveled up, I wonder if those are the results of holding many feasts/hunts? Since 1 candle is the Quick level 1 congenital trait I'd assume the big stack of candles is Genius.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 28, 2020

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe in CK2 the marriage event that gave you prestige or gold only happened the first time you got married on a given character. If you divorced and remarried you wouldn't get the event again.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Chalks posted:

Spiff highlighted some of the traits that were like, +2 random stat points per friend and +1 random stat point per child so... I guess if you just stack that poo poo with fertility bonuses you can do some impressive stuff.

Feels like this may need to be nerfed unless those stats give diminishing returns.

The Fecund trait, iirc, gives something ridiculous like +50% fertility, and if you changed your religion to let you have concubines/multiple wives, no adultery, Polyamory, and Carnal Exaltation, you could probably get a ton of kids with pretty much no repercussions. If there's no cap on the number of friends you can have I can see how you might end up with a character like that at age 77. And that character is likely to live long, since there are a bunch of traits there that give health bonuses and he obviously finished the Whole of Body tree.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 28, 2020

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

So if Ireland is Insular Christianity instead of normal Catholic and they dont have the Armed Pilgrimages tenet does that mean Ireland doesnt participate in the Crusades?

Non-Catholics cannot participate in Catholic crusades as I understand it. Even if they had the Armed Pilgrimage tenet they could only participate in crusades called by their own religious head (if they had one).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Arbite posted:

Hang on, is it literally impossible for the 1st Crusade to fire off at Byzantine instigation again?

I'm pretty sure they largely just work like they did in CK2 (Holy Fury), though without artifacts.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Grem posted:

I'm a stupid baby cheater. Will CK3 have console commands?

Yes, but I think you have to use a launch option to enable debug mode.

A lack of console commands would make any sort of large-scale modding a real chore.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(hugs my little bean game while waiting for the massive download)

e: I just noticed that buying from the Paradox Store gives you way more hats.

Main Game
Garments Of The Holy Roman Empire (bonus)

Expansion Pass:
- Fashion of the Abbasid Court (Available day 1)
- First Flavor Pack
- First Major Expansion
- Second Flavor Pack

Cancelling the steam order now.

That's just the royal edition I think? You can pre-order that on Steam too.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

abrosheen posted:

Has Glitterhoof made any appearances yet?

I believe OPB made a hint that it's possible to choose that name for your warhorse in a certain martial lifestyle event, but it requires specific circumstances to get that particular option. Cue speculation in the chat that the ruler needs the Lunatic trait.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

I kinda hope there is a dlc in the future that adds the weird supernatural stuff from CK2 back in, but I understand why they went for a more grounded historical flavor for CK3

If not, there will probably be plenty of mods for it.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I've never really bothered with the total conversion mods, but there are still plenty of normal mods out there that can expand on game features. Like, there are witches in CK3. I don't know how much the game actually uses them, but I could see a mod latching onto that and greatly expanding witchcraft.

And for Stellaris I always downloaded a bunch of expanded color/icon options. While dynasty crests can't be changed yet, I'm hoping for a mod containing a lot of new religion icons (because the selection that we saw in Rimmy's preview video was dreadfully bare).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Here's something of a concern of mine: I saw Spiff playing duchess Matilda, and he went all in on Family focus, with +50% diplomacy lifestyle experience (from education + being an HRE councilor), and it still looks like by the time he even reaches the Matriarch perk he's not going to have very many years left to make use of that fertility bump. It's a pretty minor gripe, to be sure, but drat, you'd think with that much of a bonus you'd be able to get there a bit quicker.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Being tethered to Partition succession for a good long while definitely makes centralizing and becoming super swole take longer this go around.

I'm playing the tutorial and it's not SO bad, I got an elective succession for my kingdom title and then I just kinda revoke whatever duchy I lost in the hubbub. Crush revolt, revoke titles, reorganize realm, etc.

A few things I've noticed after playing the game nearly nonstop since release:
-War can still be pretty annoying, allies will leave you out to dry sometimes and just not gather with you, sometimes they are good, sometimes not, who knows! And then the whackamole begins.
-A character focused on stewardship makes so much money. Like, so much. Way more than any of my previous rulers, drat.
-One of my favorite rulers was a Shy ruler who I kept forcing into social situations and drank all the time to deal with the stress. So far several of my Irish rulers "drank themselves to death" (which just seems to mean dying of old age with the Drunkard trait)
-I did find what I think may be bugs, the house head does not seem to work very well, often my king would not be the house head and instead it'd be some random wanderer, child, or duchess instead. That doesn't seem right. And it seems that swapping my realm capital does not change which duchy my primary heir inherits. Not sure if I'm missing a way to change my "primary" duchy.
-On a positive bug side, it seems like the crusade/war contribution is weighted heavily in favor of the player or something, I was getting ridiculous contribution to the crusade even though I doubt I was the main combatant. Every time I sent a force and did at least some battle and sieged 1-2 counties it'd give me max contribution.
-Seljuks are hilarious because they have like several hundred living dynasty members and blob like nothing else.

It's really fun.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 2, 2020

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Dirk Pitt posted:

Any good answers to this? My Bohemian count needs his levy to take the duchy from his uncle.

Maybe Control in your county is low so you aren't getting the full amount?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Friar John posted:

So I had my first instance of hubris defeating me. King of Ireland, attacking Ailech - easy, in my mind. Well I guess the guy built "walls" and "defenses" or something, because even though my 2400 troops kicked his rear end up and down the island, while my troops were sitting on their asses trying to siege the death trap, his 400 dudes marched down to my capital, waltzed in, and captured me, ending the war at the point of a sword.

Amazing game, 10/10, already know I'm going to love it.

Honestly it does wear a bit thin having to scramble back to my capital in every single war of conquest because the enemy always beelines it if you go after your objective.

AnEdgelord posted:

So is Tanistry succession in Ireland just not worth it? The electors keep electing decrepit old men who everyone hates that die less than ten years after taking the throne.

So far I haven't had issues getting my sons elected, though they don't always choose them right away. There are penalties for nominating a child, but educate your heirs to have good personality traits and then give them a county or something and it should be okay as long as you don't die first. Generally I'm ending each reign with max vassal approval though, as I'm constantly swaying/befriending anyone who drops below 100, so maybe if your ruler isn't beloved you might have issues. I haven't even had to use hooks yet, though if you're intrigue focused I would recommend fabricating hooks on your electors.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Sindai posted:

I was not ready for how much prestige pressing other peoples' claims costs. I paid a claimant to stay at court and then it turned out to be a total waste since it takes 325 prestige to press someone's county claim.

Meanwhile my August ruler is sitting out here with Living Legend fame rank popping out more than 20 prestige per month with a fairly small kingdom

It does kinda suck when you spend like 1000 prestige declaring war and calling in allies, then spend 30 minutes playing whackamole with enemy armies trying to defend your capital, hold onto the objective, and get warscore, only for the war to end inconclusively because your claimant dies of something dumb.

As you say, Holy Wars are much more convenient, so there's a bright side to Catholicism's fervor dropping to 10% every few years.

AndrewP posted:

Here's a simple question. I get this note:

But Beatrice's Guardian is my bishop. What gives? Is it saying it SHOULD be my wife? She's already 12, seems a little late.

I think that's just one of the things your spouse can help with, they handle all sorts of misc tasks and it isn't related to being the child's guardian.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

SubNat posted:

But I imagine to balance it, you only get 1 character with the trait, and if you can't breed it into your dynasty you probably have to try again later.

I don't think so, the text seems to imply it is for your whole dynasty. It's not a congenital trait, it seems to just be a bonus for your dynasty members.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Qubee posted:

Is there a way to write in-game notes about certain characters? Some Earl just gave me a heads up that one of my vassals is trying to plot against me. If it turns out right, I want to remember the fact it was this random Earl who helped me out so I can eventually give him a nice big County as thanks. But these Irish names are so hard to remember, so I guarantee I'll forget about this dude in an hour or two when I get around to conquering lands for him.

You can pin characters and there's a little box in the top-right to show/keep track of your pins, but no way to actually take notes iirc.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Oh dear me posted:

Where can I see how much dread I have?

It's the raised fist-like icon next to gold, prestige, etc on your character page.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

On a side note I think they nailed cultural innovations, aside from like Legalism and Tolerance I never cared much about CK2's techs (with the occasional exception), but I often second-guess myself over which innovation to focus on next.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

GoodluckJonathan posted:

This game just came out right? But there is already a Vampire: The Masquerade total conversion for it. How is that possible?

Some modders got access early. I guess maybe they worked really hard for the short amount of time they had it?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Davincie posted:

where is the create new faith button? im a pagan if that matters. don't see it in the faith screen or in the decisions screen

I believe it's when you're looking at your religion's tenets and doctrines it's a big button on the very bottom.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Davincie posted:

i just got a reform button, i suppose its not possible for unreformed pagans. this makes turning feudal rather hard as you need 3 holy sites from all around the map

That is my understanding of how it works. Though, I suppose in theory you could convert to a reformed faith and then establish a new one.

Broken Cog posted:

What's the difference between the seduce and the romance options?

I believe when you seduce them you have the option to just lay with them or then make them into a lover, while romance can result in a soulmate relationship.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ASAPRockySituation posted:

but there aren't

CK3 is trolling me, mods?

They mean the realm page from the buttons on the top-right, that's just the page for one of your titles. It's the green crown icon I believe.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Based on the wiki, I think I figured out what caused my dynasty head to bounce around to random people. My house is the strongest in my dynasty, but at some point I ended up playing as someone outside the line of my "primary heir" due to Tanistry, as in I elected my 2nd or 3rd child instead of my 1st. Apparently the house head position only gets passed down through the "primary heir" so I have no idea how I'll ever get it back now, unless I form another cadet branch (maybe I'll try this when I finally get Primogeniture).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ultrachrist posted:

Some more questions after goons helped me last time:

I'm king of Ireland but my vassals are infighting. One of my trusted vassals apparently started a war with my idiot heir and captured him. So I ransomed my idiot heir and then the warring vassal captured my granddaughter but immediately released her. If this guy has a high opinion of me why the hell is he fighting my children? Also, I'm the king! Can't I tell him to knock it off? The game didn't really give me any notifications or options here. It seems important that my vassals are fighting eachother.

I still don't get claims! I invited claimants to my court but they were all from random rear end places that were not easily accessible. I guess I would need to give them titles (or make them my courtier?) to press those claims? It was still way easier to just fabricate a claim on the Hebrides and start conquering Scotland. It feels weird and super "gamey" that my world conquering plans are enabled completely by my Bishop declaring, repeatedly, "No no no you see King Brian has a legit claim here and here and here and there and everywhere"

High Crown Authority makes vassal infighting impossible unless they have a hook on you.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Having a fun time as an Irish minor but dang it’s not as easy as everyone says? I started as the dude who is a vassal but has a claim to the throne of Ireland. But like dam Vikings just swarming everyone and the Pale (or whatever) is held by some Scottish chump Viking with like thousands and thousands of levies.

Ireland is a very different place in 867 than it is in 1066.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

nekoxid posted:

So uh... I don't know if this is a bug or not, but I cannot use the hook I have on this dude (to get him into my court), because I somehow don't have a hook I can use on him?

Am I doing something wrong here?

You don't have a hook, you have a secret. You have to click "blackmail for hook" to get a hook. It's a bit confusing at first glance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Speaking of hooks, it is my opinion that putting a single perk into Golden Obligations is probably worth it for almost any character, it's basically one cooldown period of being in a Stewardship focus (you'll probably get 2 perks in this time) and can get you so much gold if you're so inclined to send a skilled Spymaster to find some secrets. It's at the very least worth considering after filling out your first tree.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 2, 2020