Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Playing the William the Conqueror scenario. Currently at the start of third generation. Richard inherited from William and had a very lengthy feud with the son of Harold. The rival has three duchies: Northumbria, Lancaster, and York. I don’t like him having that much power and also hating me. Dude also had claims on chunks of Wales as well but I fabricated enough claims there to take over and form the Kingdom of Wales.

Well, in the last month of Richard’s life, his rival becomes a known family torturer and can be arrested. So I slammed that button hard and sent how rear end to the dungeons. Then Richard dies and Dick 2 takes over.

I have the option of stripping a title from the guy but I want to be smart about how I do it since no one particularly likes me at the moment.

If I take a duchy, do I take the counties he has under it? It would be very nice to cut his power down immensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Tried my hand at William the Conqueror. Won England pretty easily but once I did the Norwegians already had 70% warscore because they occupied the entire north or England and even with Sweden and Denmark as my allies I managed to (just barely) loose two battles in a row giving them 100% and booting me back South to Normandy.

I kept getting angry at how easy you tubers made this fight seem. The strategy I finally went with was sieging the Isle of Wight and trapping Harold there and beating him quick before beelining for the north

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Ugh. Just lost England because my cousin has always hated my dad and me because her dad, the rightful heir, Leroy Jenkins’d himself into a pointless war and got got. I brought her in and tutored her afterwards and all that did was turn her into a world class spymaster who led a very very very successful rebellion against me.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

upgunned shitpost posted:

pedagogy in the learning tree or befriend in the diplomacy tree are top tier first picks for any ruler. solves a lot of problems down the road.

The son that lived wound up having a 1 diplomacy. I must’ve zoned the gently caress out when that boy was growing up because not a single loving person liked this guy despite the fact that he was a mo eh making machine. They also gave him like a really friendly animation too so here’s this perfectly normal looking dude that shits gold but day 1 on the job and everyone wants him dead

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

If I am the king of England and I have a duchy outside England, can I grant that person independence? I am still salty about my entire family turning on me and I’m focusing in on the duke of Normandy who provides most of the troops. Didn’t even want stupid Normandy. I just wanted to chill in England and raise sheep.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

As long as you're not their de jure liege I believe you can grant any vassal independence.

Do you know where the button is for that? I clicked around everywhere and didn’t see it. But also my guy had a diplomacy of 1 so I am guessing he had some stuff locked

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Lol what the gently caress

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Daktar posted:

I'm finally getting somewhere. It helps that I've gotten out from under Confederate Partition, and that tribes are falling behind feudal realms in power. I've been playing tall for a while now, carefully building up my development and boosting anglo-saxon techs, and I've just won an independence war to get out from under Scotland. Prior to that I was desperately bouncing from liege to liege depending on who could best protect me, but I think I'm powerful enough now that no one nearby will mess with me.

Genuinely how the English map should look imo

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Does the de jure capital of a kingdom matter? Earldom of Hampshire is the de jure capital of the kingdom of England but Essex has the special building for London which is where I’d prefer to move the capital

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Is there anything I can do to convince my chaste heir that he should get to work loving his wife?

He may not know it, but a countdown timer has started before he winds up leading a solo invasion of some far off place while his successful younger brother sits at home with my glorious grandchildren

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Toplowtech posted:

If you are good at intrigue, just make his wife your mistress, he will never know.

My god, it’s beautiful

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Is there any way sans :blastu: to break someone else’s betrothal? My niece, the duchess of Kent, decided to get bethrothed to some no name rear end in a top hat. Which is fine if she did it matrilineal but she did not because she’s a goddamn idiot just like her parents.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

I really really wish ducal heirs were smarter about matrilineal marriages

edit: Lolol holy poo poo. 56 year old me lost my 64 year old wife. She was a brilliant lady who gave me one daughter. Daughter has had three kids already. I find a spouse based on attributes alone to teach all these kids and raise the next generation right so I find a 35 year old intelligent steward.

Well guess whose sperm is still strong and whose eggs weren’t all gone? And now I have a son and holy poo poo this complicates things.

Trevor Hale fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 20, 2020

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Oh god. I got her pregnant again and then died. I am now starting off as a 1 year old. This is going to be *wild*

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Jedit posted:

The dumb thing about Renown is that you only get it for independent rulers. So your dynasty is more renowned if members are duke-level vassals in half a dozen different kingdoms than it is if you become emperor of the entire world.

E: In my current Bastard Bill game my aging emperor saw his mediocre son and his even more mediocre grandson murdered within the space of a year by persons unknown, leaving his 8 year old great-grandson as heir.

Someone had a cunning plan, alright.

It's been a weird game all around. Baldrick is now my fourth ruler in the game, and so far everyone has outlived their own eldest son.

What’s up with your prowess icon being different?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

I have been having a blast playing this character since 1 year old. Like. Getting to 16 felt like a high wire act as a lot of people wanted me dead. It also gives me a view on the scope of this guys life. He was such a sweet boy, but I was so expansionist in my territory snatching that he’s grown to be a reclusive bastard. It’s like Boyhood but with more adamists

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

I’m playing easy right now because I like the story more than the stress. Cant compare it to the real game but I’m sure I won more battles that I would’ve lost normally.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

How long does it take y’all to finish a game? I think I’m ~24 hours into this one and I am at about 100 years played.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

I found it oddly moving to get the “I will die within a year” premonition on my character. I played him from age 0 due to him being a last second pregnancy of my previous king who died unexpectedly right after. He was never meant to be the heir, but since I played him as an infant, I was able to shape him into something roughly like I’d want him to be. He had a 67 year reign.

When I got the notice that he was going to die, I just stopped all the longer term projects I had going on. Made sure my orphaned granddaughter and ward was educated and married to someone nice. Her dad was my original choice for heir until his education was mediocre and then he wound up getting two of his kids killed in a stupid vassal war he started. So I spent the next few years seizing counties and sending him on solo runs at the army to punish him until he wound up on the wrong end of a sword.

I genuinely did not expect to feel this affected by this game. Pandemic depression or just regular parasocial brain fuckery, who knows

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What’s with imprisoning adulterers sometimes being an act of tyranny and sometimes not? Same reign, same ..... wait is it dependent on the religion of the adulterer as to whether or not I am justified in imprisoning them?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Ice Fist posted:

Married my heir to a beautiful greek countess. She promptly has an affair with a 65 year old guy and has a bastard child. I fail to imprison her. To reduce stress on my compassionate self I go on a hunt. I spot my heir just after he murders a peasant. My options are "say the stag got her", "hide the body", "expose his secret", or "to bad the stag got you both (kill my heir)".

This son is actually pretty good stats wise. He has ridiculous diplomacy for his age. But my 2nd son is even better with even higher diplomacy.

The choice is obvious.

I now have a new heir.

My good king turned bad had that option with a duke who has been causing him unending amounts of grief.

I only loving clipped him and had to waste prestige on saying it was a bad shot.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

shut up blegum posted:

I disinherited my second son after I got an event that my wife had been cheating on me.
So both my kingdom titles would end up with my other son. Excellent. Except he died in battle, woops. Anyway, my ruler dies, and my heir is my 1 year old grandson.
Playing as a kid is pretty hard. Can't sway, can't scheme, can't hold feasts etc, your stats suck...

Luckily my previous ruler janked the crown authority up to absolute just before he died, so when the faction threatened to go to war I just gave in.
I also pressed some vassals claims, created and gave away some duchies, anything I can think of to keep my vassals from revolting.

Thank God my spymaster has great stats and really likes me for some reason. This game owns.

My heir was a 0 year old when I died. It felt like walking a tightrope to get him to 16. I felt profound sadness when I betrayed my friend who raised me because he won a crusade, became king of Jerusalem, converted, and started gobbling up my neighboring counties. I died at 65 and felt profound contentment at the full life that guy led.

Also the random event when you find out your sexuality is funny

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Was just a sterile six year old. Survived a civil war by choicely marrying off my bastard brother to the princess of Sweden. My heir was in another dynasty though, so I wound up studying intrigue just to pull off the murders needed to get my inheritance back in my name. Stated at a calendar waiting for my 16th birthday before I could I kick off the murder scheme.

I turn 16. I hit the murder button and have a 30% chance. And the next day my two non dynasty heirs are killed in a siege.

My little sterile boy king is blessed by god

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What’s some advice for breaking up a powerful vassal? I am king of England, Wales, and soon to be Ireland, but one of my dukes has 7 duchies. 5 of them have their own inheritance rules (which is how I think they’ll all wind up going to his primary heir). Murdering won’t help, since the heir will be as powerful as he is.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Blimpkin posted:

Can you kill the heir? Can you get a hook on the guy and imprison him while you make claims? I'd honestly try to murder the heir, and then acquire claims, at least one, to provoke him to revolt, you'd be able to revoke it all once his a traitor.

He’s been very resistant to hooks. Finding secrets gas netter nothing in him or his predecessor for 40 years

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

Something that may be a bit unintended is that if you try to revoke a title (incurring tyranny) and they refuse+rebel, it doesn't seem to actually give you any tyranny.

A game of chicken, provided you can survive the rebellion

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

I’ve reached emperor level, which all of my vassals being dukes + 1 earl cuz I had to shed a holding.

I...don’t know what to do when an earl commits a crime and I can in prison him. I can’t yank the title because I’m not the liege. If I kill them, suddenly I’m a tyrant. What’s the point in me arresting them in the first place?

Caveat: if they’ve done something to my family, I start a murder plot. I kill kinslayers

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

I like the eulogy the game gives your player after they die. My king died right after getting the Diplomat final trait, and the eulogy talked about his dedication to finding solutions via peace.

Then you hover over the stats and see I fought in 13 offensive wars.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Does anyone have a problem of their inlanders siblings getting married and then living in separate courts from their spouses? I have a bunch of sisters and female cousins who are not having children because they’re living in different duchies. I just need my family to start loving.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What the gently caress? Then my family is just....really not horny.

Also: RIP to the brother in law I murdered because he wasn’t in the same city as my sister.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Had a son and a daughter when my wife dropped dead at 31. As my longest serving king was a sterile asexual whose heir was the only son with many sisters who never married matrilineally. So I don’t have many relatives. I take the chance to find a 30 something genius because I want kids but I don’t really want sons.

Married a 34 year old. Seduced her quickly to ensure I could still have kids. First one out is a daughter. She’s also lusty, so every child comes with doubt that I have to challenge her on. Turns out she was sleeping with a guy but the kid wasn’t his. Stress nonetheless.

Next kid is a son. Not ideal! But I have become emperor of Britannia so the crowns divvy up nicely.

Two more daughters with the second coming at age 40. Good for me because I can start dropping ladies on thrones.

But lo! At forty loving five she gets pregnant and gives me another son. And now I have to split Britannia three ways. I am....not happy.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

That response is interesting. I suppose it didn’t even occur to me that “dynastic survival” is the game mechanic and not a thing characters care about.

The patch note re: text explaining that your knight personally didn’t kill so many people was funny. It will unfortunately change the way I think about my knights, as I view them as murder machines.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

Is there a way to see what the exact sources of my renown, prestige and piety gain are? E.g. you have say 5 renown gain and click it and it says "sources: 2x independent kings, 70 dynasty members, 4 barons" etc

Tool tip on your renown in the header

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

If I’m emperor with four kingdom crowns and my non heirs are set to inherit just a king of Ireland and king of Wales crown respectively, how hosed are they in life? If that’s the only title they inherit, do they just live with me?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

BrainMeats posted:

They will displace the count of the de jure capital. Sucks for that guy.

Ooo interesting. Thank you!

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Decided to actually jump in and fight in a crusade as opposed to paying my way out of it. Computer lagged very very hard with 60k troops roaming around. Is this one of those things that buying more RAM would solve?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

My vassal, who is a motherfucker, imprisoned my daughter’s bethrothed. Is there any way I can get him out?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Chakan posted:

There should be something in the right-click menu if you're that persons liege or they're not permanently part of a court. I haven't run into that though so I'm not certain. A hook will guarantee it if you can make the request but they're reluctant.

Turned out he was not a direct vassal, just a dude who hated me. I sent my imprisoned soon to be son in law a gift of money and the guy ignored it for months and then took 10 gold off of him. Now I will plot his murder

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Oh man. I got the notice that I have 1 year to live, and I must’ve told my wife because she confessed to affairs with three different dukes and 5 of my 12 kids aren’t mine. My fat happy emperor died with some conflicted goddamn emotions.

Also, advice for future situations:

I was in the holy land on a crusade with 20k+ troops. I’m sieging cities but my troops are starting to run low on supplies and start to starve. All of a sudden a notice kicks off that the whole crusade is invalid now.

But I can’t stand my troops down because wits not friendly terrain. And now they have the skull icon and are dying off.

Did I miss something? I bounced from territory to territory hoping something would let me disband them, but no dice. Closest ally was Venice. Wound up losing 19k troops to starvation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

shortspecialbus posted:

Anyone have a recommended youtuber or something for a CK3 tutorial that isn't painful to watch? Or if not a tutorial, at least someone who has a campaign that's easy to follow along with and learn from?

I played probably 100 hours of CK2 but I haven't actually touched it in probably 4-5 years so I'm way way out of practice.

Jackie Fish and Praetorian HiJynx both had playthroughs that were pretty good