Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Ok, how the gently caress do I arrange a marriage? I have like 1500 hours in CK2 and I thought I’d install this and be conquering the world in no time, but I haven’t gotten past the first week.

I have the “arrange marriage” screen open with my character on one side, but I can’t figure out how to fill in the blank recipient section. All of the potential spouses are listed, but clicking/right-clicking on their portraits doesn’t do anything or present any relevant options. What incredibly obvious thing am I missing here?

edit: wow I’m dumb. Can’t believe I was foiled this easily, this doesn’t bode well for me

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

drat, I’m crashing like every 10 minutes today. Sometimes I won’t even be able to load my save before it shuts down. I had a couple crashes before this, but nothing this bad. I’m playing through gamepass with the most recent update and well above the minimum specs. I made sure my antivirus wasn’t messing with it, per Paradox’s suggestion on their known issues page, but that didn’t help. I just want to play the game!

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Qubee posted:

I mean, not even a single thread for me to follow, even if it would just be them saying what I want to hear. It's basically a pointless button that makes people insane.

You should get the lifestyle perks that give you a chance of increasing intrigue or prowess when you torture someone and the one that removes the piety cost. I’m torturing nonstop over here! I haven’t learned anything from them of course, but I’m not really sure how most of these people ended up in my dungeon to begin with anyway.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Is there a console command to imprison someone? I tried the imprison command from CK2 with the appropriate character ids but it said the command doesn’t exist. It doesn’t seem to be on any of the console command lists I’ve seen either.

Killing the guy works fine, but I don’t want him dead, I just want him in my dungeon. I really should have just taken care of him with my previous 20 intrigue ruler while I had the chance. This is the former king of France who I usurped the throne from, then my guy died and now everyone hates my current queen and wants to put him back in charge.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Traxis posted:

You don't need a console command, with debug mode on just right click the character and select quick imprison:

Oh drat, I didn’t even realize that was an option now. I was just hovering over him to get his character id.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Martout posted:

so after pottering about in the tutorial start and making a bunch of mistakes etc. I decided to try the Haesteinn start. I immediately raise my bonus starting armies, raid all my neighbours and then for a laugh wardec the king of brittany, immediately capture his queen and his heir in the first seige and suddenly I own all of the britannia start.

now this put me at 6 domains of my max at 3 so I clearly need to create some new vassals - however I can't seem to grant any baron titles - only titles for the full counties and if I do that they become independent of me because I am technically only a count myself. Is there any way I can make some of my courtiers barons instead of giving them entire counties?

Can you create any new higher-tier titles? If you own all of Britannia then you should be able to make yourself a duke at least, and then you can have the other counts under you. I don't think you can give away baronies anymore, or if you can I don't know how.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Does anyone know if the bonuses from a special duchy building still apply to me if I give the county away? I have a county that I built a leisure palace in, which gives bonus prestige, stress loss, and scheme success chance to me. It says the bonuses are realm-wide instead of just for that duchy or holding, so I'd think it would still apply to me but you never know with this game. I have some more valuable counties I want instead so I was thinking of letting this one go.

What's another good duchy building besides the leisure palaces? Siege works or military academies seem like they would be good, but I always get choice paralysis on these things and have a hard time picking one.

edit: After testing, you do not keep any of the bonuses if the county isn't under your direct control. I wanted to build something new for one of my other duchies but I guess I'll build another leisure palace first since I like the bonuses from it.

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 7, 2020

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

ZombieLenin posted:

So I accidentally created a second kingdom before I had primogeniture, and I immediately realized the mistake and destroyed the title.

Yet somehow, when I died, my second son inherited the now non-existent kingdom.

This is not how it worked in CK2, so I assume it is a bug? It is extremely annoying trying an Ironman unification run to suddenly lose half my holdings and vassals to a second kingdom; more actually since my primary title was the smaller territory.

So now I have a brother with 4 sons in a stronger Kingdom of Italy that I have to, somehow, re-absorb. Basically, if this is a bug, it is one that completely undid the first 200 years of the game.

It's not a bug, confederate partition will create non-existent titles to give away upon your death, assuming you have enough land to create them. Other types of partition won't do that though.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

How do you give someone a vassal? How do you pawn a vassal off to another vassal? Can someone provide a basic example too please?

You right click on the vassal you want to give stuff to and select "grant vassal" and then choose the one you want to transfer. I only do this if I'm the direct liege of a vassal that isn't a de jure part of one of my own duchies. The rightful duke will have a -25 opinion penalty for each one of these, it'll say "Desires county of x". So transferring over these vassals can give you a pretty huge opinion boost.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

My queen of France decided to start worshipping the Horned God because some guy whispered in her ear while she was sleeping. Now all my kids are witches too and I’ve formed a coven with them! I’m sure no one will ever find out about our terrible secret. My current ruler has 30 intrigue and permanent 100 dread so no one goes against her, but my heir has an intrigue of 2 so we’ll see how this turns out.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

what happens if you accept it but don't bother doing anything?

Nothing, but apparently if you do it multiple times to the same person they’ll get pissed at you if you don’t actually contribute.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Has anyone noticed issues with the spymaster Find Secrets task when you start opening the Schemer intrigue tree? Once I took the perk that allowed Find Secrets to create hooks on people, that's all it would do. I'd never find secrets, I would always have to pay money to fabricate a hook, which was useless because all I was trying to do was blackmail them for money in the first place.

You should move your spymaster to a place with a higher chance of finding secrets. If there’s only a 25% chance of finding a secret in a certain location then most of the time your only option is to fabricate a hook. I’ll just go with the opinion bonus instead if it’s some random courtier with no money, but sometimes you can end up fabricating a strong hook on a ruler which can be pretty useful.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Well the rate was pretty high in Constantinople, >60% I think. Like normally I'd discover 3-4 secrets during the task cycle, but the instant I took that 'sometimes fabricate hooks' perk, that stopped completely.

I'll still find some actual secrets with the perk. I think it seems like it's less because without the perk I usually wouldn't really notice if my spymaster didn't find anything for a few cycles because it's not one of the big pop-ups, but when you have the perk it will fire every time except a significant percentage of that will be your spymaster saying "Well, I didn't find anything but you can make up something about this random guy if you want." But that's one of the first perks I go for, so I don't spend all that much time without it.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Sadistic is a pretty great trait. In CK2 I always had a hard time being a terrible person and just imprisoning and executing everyone, but being sadistic makes it such a breeze it's hard to resist. Just take a quick trip to the dungeons whenever you're feeling stressed. Plus you can directly kill your own kids, which can really come in handy. I had six legitimate sons, most of them died without my interference, but I ended up with a mediocre heir and a quick and handsome spare. I was all set to start a plot to kill the older son but I decided to go on a hunt first. I walked in on the aftermath of him murdering someone and had the option to either cover it up or expose him... or just kill him right now because I have the sadistic trait, which is exactly what happened.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

RED TEXT BIG GUN posted:

Is pressing Kingdom claims of a courtier bugged / not working? I did the find claimants event, I got someone with claim on Kingdom West Francia and a handful of counties in West Francia. I can click on the declare war option for the current King of Francia. In the declare war screen I can pick the claimant's claims but the warning tooltip says there *are* no claims. I'm an emperor, if that matters.

I paid this 6yo 350 gold to come chill out in my court wth.

It’s because she’s a girl. The declare war screen will still display all potential claimants as an option but you generally can’t declare for a female claimant against a male title-holder.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

shut up blegum posted:

So I joined a crusade and I had to appoint a beneficiary. For some reason it couldn't appoint anyone, what's up with that? I was the main contributor and would have gotten a decent chunk of land, but since I couldn't appoint anyone I ended up with a stack of cash and piety.

You can only appoint an adult member of your dynasty who isn’t a ruler and isn’t an heir to anything. I usually end up with mostly random female dynasty members as possible beneficiaries. If you have a small dynasty you might not have any eligible people.

Although one time I disinherited one of my sons because he was sub-par and then made him my beneficiary. Then we won and he became the king of Syria and then he immediately converted to Druze and then died. But my daughter is still doing pretty good as the queen of Castile from a previous crusade.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

MH Knights posted:

What are the difficulty options like in this game? Is there something like the "Settler" difficulty from the Civilization games? I suck at games and just want to mess around/blow off real life steam with the game and steamroll things. It would seem fun in this game to do stupid gimmick builds and/or try for silly goals.

I think there's an easy difficulty option, but I've never used it so I don't know exactly how it's different from standard. You can also launch the game in debug mode and use the console to give yourself gold or different traits or just kill a lot of people.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Tippis posted:

…and that right there is probably where things went awry. I've tried similar things and they at most got a duchy. I have literally nothing to back this up, only my own anecdotal evidence, but I suspect that since Catholicism takes such a dim view to women rulers that you can just use any old excuse to depose them, they also don't haphazardly give entire kingdoms away to them unless there are literally no other options.

I managed to test this out in a crusade for Jerusalem, and pretty much the exact same turn of events (75%+ of contribution both times, ended up occupying pretty much the exact same counties), and the time I picked a woman, she became a duchess; the time I picked a man, he got the grand prize.

If you’re the number one contributor listed on the crusade screen then your beneficiary should get the main title, it shouldn’t matter what gender they are as far as I’m aware. I’ve had two female beneficiaries as the largest contributor and they both got the queen title afterwards.

I think the only time this doesn’t happen is if the crusade is for a particular claimant, then that person will get the highest title. It sounds like this is the case for what happened with the other guy, since he was the former king of England. Although, that is confusing in your case that the results were so different. Maybe you weren’t actually number one in one of the wars? Maybe it depends on the particular inheritance for the title too, I’m not sure.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

I keep kicking my second sons out of their pity barony and conquering Syria for them and they keep losing it.

Yeah, my son lasted a few months as king of Syria before converting. Then he quickly became a vassal of one of the nearby empires. The lovely thing is that his heir ended up being a different dynasty somehow, so I wasn't even getting the extra renown after he died. Meanwhile, Jerusalem turned into a powerhouse but my dynasty was so small at the time of that crusade that I didn't have any possible beneficiaries I could name.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

moroboshi posted:

Son gay, so what?

So... my genius heir (the first one) is homosexual. Does this just reduce the chances of him having children, or eliminate them completely?

It reduces fertility by a bit. In CK2 it was by 10%, not sure if it’s the same here. It’s not that big of a deal when it comes to having kids, and you can always marry him to someone with higher fertility. You won’t have to worry about him having a bastard child with your wife or his brother’s wife or his other brother’s wife though.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Trevor Hale posted:

What’s some advice for breaking up a powerful vassal? I am king of England, Wales, and soon to be Ireland, but one of my dukes has 7 duchies. 5 of them have their own inheritance rules (which is how I think they’ll all wind up going to his primary heir). Murdering won’t help, since the heir will be as powerful as he is.

If you fabricate a claim on his counties you can revoke them without getting any tyranny. If you don't have a hook on him he might choose to rebel so just be ready for that. Or you could try to get a hook on his heir or imprison him, and then just wait for dad to die and all his titles to pass on. Are you fabricating hooks or just using your spymaster to find secrets in his realm?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So I'm at high crown authority now and still routinely get the "realm will lose land when vassal dies" popup. Everyone in here says it's bugged and doesn't work right but I'm not sure if I've actually lost any land when these people finally die. I haven't noticed losing control of any counties, but I also have a big empire with pretty bad border gore so it just might not be that obvious to begin with. One duchess's heir was some count in the HRE so I used the console to kill her and see what would happen. Despite clearly having this HRE guy as her heir to all her titles, all her stuff went to some random unlanded guy of her dynasty who stayed my vassal. So I didn't actually lose anything even though the popup said I was going to.

Either way, it's pretty annoying to have the game tell me I'm going to lose a bunch of poo poo when that may or may not actually happen. I don't like using the console regularly, so I guess I'll stick with the usual strategy of revoking and/or killing until everything is safely in my realm and I don't have to worry about losing random stuff. But inevitably I'll end up with another female ruler with screwed up succession who is too old to have kids, or some 3-year old whose heir is a neighboring duke. Not that I really mind murdering all these people, but their deaths might have been avoided in the first place.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Two things.

1) When landed and unlanded characters get married, the unlanded one comes to the court of the landed one. But if both characters are landed, they stay at their own courts. So your sisters and cousins must have titles, and you're marrying them to men who also have titles.

2) Being at different courts doesn't actually prevent loving. loving transcends time and space. Neither wind nor rain nor pilgrimage nor military campaign will keep these fuckers from their appointed rounds.

Unlanded courtiers will sometimes wander off and stay at some random foreign court. You can see under the court tab if you have any wandering courtiers. My heir's wife was off at some German count's court for a while. Neither of them were landed. But yeah, people don't actually need to be in the same place to have kids, so it shouldn't really matter.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I have over a thousand hours in CK2 and I'm not sure if I got to the ending date more than once. The first time was mostly just to see what would happen, which is nothing. I do wish CK3 would add in the screen when you quit with all your characters and your high score. I know there's the lineage tab, but watching the slowly scrolling list of all my characters over the years was more satisfying.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

I've actually never had the AI call me out on not helping if I have my own war running, I'm guessing there's a "he has his own poo poo going on" escape clause in that event.

I think they'll only do that if you've repeatedly joined their wars and then done nothing. I've never had them get mad at me the first couple times I've been lazy. I do make sure to help out every now and then, but it would be nice not to have them calling me up for every little conflict they have.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

A God drat Ghost posted:

If I convert someone to witchcraft, can I then blackmail them with that secret?

Not if they know that you're a witch too. You might be able to if you take the option that doesn't reveal yourself to them, but I haven't tested it.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I think there was one small patch a few days after it came out and then a big one about 5 weeks after release.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I wanted to check out the new dlc but it just crashes on startup for me. I make it to the “initializing game” part and that’s it. I haven’t played in a while but I remember having tons of crashes when it first came out, although that was somewhat fixed once I realized it had been set to use my integrated graphics instead of my good GPU. It’s ran very smoothly ever since the early patches, so I don’t know what the deal is. Guess I’ll check back next month or whatever :(

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Are you playing on Steam? Make sure you've disabled betas in your options as apparently this is causing issues on start up. I've also found its a lot more unstable generally and I need to try loading twice before it will actually start.

No mods or betas, but disabling v-sync seemed to do it. I can actually make it to the character screen now, so now I just have my ever-present problem of deciding who to play.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

After three generations and nearly a hundred years, I finally created the Kingdom of Mann and the Isles!

(Just noticed the German Byzantines, not sure when that happened.)

I started as the Duke of Jorvik, but I didn't make elevating the kingdom a goal until a bit too late in his life, so he died 10k fame short of Living Legend. My next character only lived for another ten years. But his son inherited at 19, so I focused on getting all the positive health modifiers and prestige bonuses I could and went to town raiding for the next 50 years. I realized I couldn't expand past a certain point without getting a lot of penalties, so I ended up having to conquer territory and then make them independent. Apparently there's no truce with that, so you can just immediately start fighting them again. So at age 75 I get the warning that I'm going to die within a year and I'm still about 1000 fame short. I have just enough cash to raise a runestone and create a few duchies, and I'm the king of Mann! Which there is no achievement for apparently, but whatever.

The bonuses are pretty great. It takes two months to build normal stuff, plus the 20 increase in development, plus my own pirate army of 7500.

Except I'm set to lose 95% of my land in a few months when I die because it switched my capital duchy from Jorvik to Mann, which is one county, and I have enough land for the kingdom of England to form, which will go to one of my other sons. My heir will have a kingdom of one :(. I could take all the land back pretty easily due to my huge pirate army, but I think I'm just going to disinherit my four other sons since I have more than enough renown.

Also, I've barely engaged with all the new culture stuff since I've been so focused on getting Mann, but I have a poo poo ton of prestige that's going to vanish very soon so now's the time to do it I guess. I'm currently the head of Norse culture with a whole two Norse counties because everyone else has diverged/hybridized. I'm thinking of hybridizing with the Anglo-Saxons which costs next to nothing and then reforming it to include either Stalwart Defenders or Castle Keepers. Culinary Artists seems good too for the renown, but I don't have any farmlands.

I think I'll try to form the North Sea Empire after this. You need to control all the kingdoms for 30 years on a single character, not just overall right?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Serephina posted:

SCANDINAVIAN ELECTIVE. Burn all that prestige slapping that on any title you care about (honestly your primary is usually enough) and make sure your kid gets it all via hooks. You don't even need hooks if your vassals love you a lot! It's a small bit of work for saving a ton of ingame resources that reconquering or disinheriting costs.

The problem with that is I’m currently in an ally’s war so I can’t add any laws. I wasn’t able to form England beforehand because that would’ve cost me forming Mann. I don’t have enough cash to form England right now anyway, but confederate partition will take care of that for me. I really should’ve just added Scandinavian elective to my other duchies beforehand, but it totally slipped my mind and now I don’t have enough time to set things up since I only have eight months or less before I die.

I guess I’ll just eat the disinherit costs this time and set up Scandinavian elective as soon as I can so I don’t have to deal with this the next time around.

Edit: I’m so close to getting the achievement for filling out all three trees for a lifestyle, but not quite. If only my guy was a genius instead of merely intelligent…

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 19, 2022

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Why bother disinheriting? If you want it that bad just go conquer it back...

I’m tired of fighting, man. I think I’m going to disinherit two of them, let the remaining two inherit everything and then just kill one of them because he doesn’t have any kids and he sucks anyway.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

drat, back to crashing on startup every time again. I deleted everything and did a clean reinstall, checked firewall access, and put all the settings on low, and now I can get to the main screen, but it immediately crashes as soon as I try to load or start a new game. So I guess my mission to form the North Sea Empire will have to wait.

The gameplay bugs don’t tend to bother me that much, but all the instability and performance issues suck. New DLCs for CK2 were always full of bugs but I remember it being pretty stable overall, even on the lovely old laptop I had then.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Serephina posted:

My player character just hit 16 and was instantly given the trait drunkard. Err, did he pick that up from his guardian?

Yes, which I didn't realize was a possibility until my heir also turned into a 16 year old drunkard. Makes sense, I guess.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

SlothBear posted:

I’ve definitely had that happen when they didn’t go to uni and the guardian had no related traits.

Oh huh, when it happened to me, it was my drunkard character educating his son, so I just figured like father like son.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

edit: oh, also miss the ledgers. I love rankings, I love to see who is stronger, larger, who killed more etc, all this kinda of stuff. CK3 l was a major step back on that and I dont understand why. Is an easy feature with no gameplay impact

This is my most missed feature and I don’t get why they didn’t include it this time around. It doesn’t seem like it would be terribly difficult to put in, but maybe it’s one of those small things the devs don’t really care about unless they have extra time. I miss the scrolling logout screen of all your characters too.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

binge crotching posted:

I miss the ledger as well. I remember very early in the CK3 development cycle one of the devs said that they hate the ledger, and won't be having it in the game, so that's why it's not there. I'm guessing by now the entire CK3 team has changed, so it would be nice if they brought it back with the next major patch.

That’s a weird feature to hate, seeing as it doesn’t actually do anything other than provide information, but oh well I guess.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I also set up Scandinavian Elective since I had four sons and didn’t want everything split up. I had my firstborn set up to inherit everything important and gave my other kids titles of their own. But then my mediocre third son goes and murders his brothers so now he’s first in line. He doesn’t have the kinslayer trait so I guess he got away with it, but he can’t fool me!

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Tippis posted:

Oh don't worry. The second you take over playing as him, someone will immediately discover the murders and slap him/you with it. :haw:

He got caught murdering his nephew a week before he inherited everything. On the other hand, he inherited everything so I guess it all worked out in the end.

The Haesteinn start really is OP. I wanted to do another Kingdom of Mann run since my old save was no good, so I started as Haesteinn this time. I was accumulating prestige at a steady pace, but I started getting worried when he got cancer around age 70. I tried to stack health bonuses as much as I could, but the cancer plus all the stress from being greedy and all the crazy treatments my physician inflicted on me and then also becoming infirm did not make for a good combination. But that dude just refused to die. He finally kicked it at 97 after a botched treatment. It would've been nice to make it to 100 but he was also an infirm widowed disfigured eunuch so his stats were pretty poo poo by that point anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, Haesteinn starts as feudal and you don’t need to be tribal to form Mann in the first place.