Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

binge crotching posted:

It's a bug that they haven't gotten around to fixing yet. I'm hoping the next patch has the fix.

Thanks for confirming this I thought I had clicked the wrong button or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I like that they're adding it but my initial take is that this is just another nerf to AI across the board, as managing supplies and figuring out when they're about to get rocked by men-at-arms with stacked bonuses are the sorts of thing they're already very bad at. As it is you can already pretty much lead a doomstack in a ring around the rosie until they're all starving to death and winter will just made it happen faster. Also the nerf to cavalry in particular will just make the mongols even less of a threat.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah, bless you for doing it so nobody else has to.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Is this next update just sorta in the works or have they said anything about when we might expect it?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Anno posted:

I think we’re supposed to assume Soon if they’re talking about it. Might be announced at that event of theirs in a couple weeks.

ilitarist posted:

They've already posted part of the patchnotes after a long silence. It's safe to assume it's quite soon.

Cool, thanks!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I hate you. At first because I don't give a drat about any of that but mostly because now I really want to make a Meghan of the Markle dynasty character and take over England.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont think it was OP or needed any nerf

This is the kinda of stuff that dont make the game harder at all: that little duke our count that wont accept vassalization anymore from your huge rear end empire, he poses no danger, he will lose any war. Conquering it is no challenge, is just click work

It was enough that you needed True Ruler to get anyone but dejures to accept anyway

Yeah, this is the note I'm least happy about too. I really liked hitting that point in a game where you are powerful and prosperous enough that the nearby little independent counts realize that their future is with you one way or the other and join up.

Seems like this is just to make expansion duller and grindier for no reason.

I never had anyone accept vassalization that I couldn't have conquered in about four clicks. Definitely not overpowered.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Freudian slippers posted:

OK, so I created a custom jewish count, placed him in Acre and decided to try to form the kingdom of Jerusalem. This will obviously upset the Abbasids, but so far I've managed to butter up both my liege, the emir and the caliph. I'm still a count, but now with 4 counties spread over two duchies. Question: Should I try to become a duke myself? When I tried something like this in CK2, the caliph just revoked my duchies willy-nilly, can he do the same thing in CK3? Would I be better off as an uber-count?

Try to get a hook so that when you do you can immediately get religious protection.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Syncretism is great for overcoming that. I made megabogomilism with Islamic friendliness and marriage allied the caliphate because that’s what god would have wanted. Suck it basileus whose the heretic now?!?!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

As an early tribal leader I just accept them all. I’ve gotten the why aren’t you helping message like 1 out of every maybe 20 that I don’t show up too. Most of those early clusters are over too fast for anyone to notice. And if they’re nearby hey free loot and prestige and opinion.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Meh, get it out of the way I guess.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

There are definitely a few mechanics that I'll be much happier to see used elsewhere. Unique bloodline traits for instance. I'll probably do a viking game just to play through some of these events, and honestly adventuring does sound like a lot of fun. I'd just be a lot more excited about this level of love given to nearly any other area, since viking-focused stuff happens in, oh I dunno, every game ever since the dawn of time.

Also on a marginally related note, if you haven't, read The Alexiad it will get you all sorts of hyped for a Byzantine play-through and then sad that this patch wasn't all about the Romans.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Racists think vikings would like them because racists have brains like racquetballs.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

That was the dumbest nerf

Diplo-vassalization was fine as it was

It really was and I'm salty about this change.

Will prob do a viking playthrough just to see the new stuff I guess.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Nordick posted:

Hey goons, quick question:

I'm being raided. Ok, no big, just bring troops over and stomp them. Except: The raiders aren't marked as hostile, so my troops can't attack them, they just move into the holding and stand there watching.

What gives?

Might just be an unrelated group of raiders hanging out there? Either that it's a bug.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Hellioning posted:

Or just reset your perks.

This is what I do when I see trees that have no point to them being used up that way. A stress break is less of a drawback then stumbling through with a character who has no useful skills. And if it kills them, well, that's just another way to solve the problem.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Tippis posted:

Look, if babies don't want to be assassinated, they should stop being small and squishy and in a position of potential power or importance. :colbert:

Seriously, a smart baby would abdicate in that situation.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's horribly wrong there's no Alexiad start :colbert:

Truth.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

hopeandjoy posted:

What’s a good territory to start a custom ruler in? With the knowledge that I’m going to do an inverted gender world run so none of the vanilla guys are going to be there.

I’m kinda done with Vikings for now and would like a feudal start, but if there’s a really cool Viking place to start I’m not completely opposed.

Also is there a mod to get rid of the Matrilineal penalty when both sides are from female dominated cultures because man is that annoying when trying to find a good match for heirs.
If you want the exact opposite of a viking experience, try Sri Lanka.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

CK3 is the most fun map game to lose at, which is why I love it.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah a more capable AI and being able to play as unlanded so that losing your title isn't an instant game over would make this game truly spectacular.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Serephina posted:

The first thing I noticed when I fired up my Duke of Munu tutorial game is that the HRE was strangely not impossibly huge (in terms of levies) compared to where I was. I think I exceeded him around the time I unified Ireland, long before finishing Britain. Was unsure if I'm just more used to the game than I was when I tried out ck2, or if something funny was happening.

Well, like 200 years later I finally bothered to take kingdom of Germany off of him, and the largest duke's vassal contract was... something else. No screenshots, but it was ZERO levies+taxes (both!) with council seats guaranteed and title revocation protection. Mother. Fucker.

Basically I see this all the goddamn time, every vassal contract that I've not made myself but inherited from the AI tends to be a giant loving mess. It's subtle, but I'm pretty confident that it's one of the major factors in why the top level empires (Byzantium included) tend to be such wusses instead of terrifying neighbors.

edit: I'm actually thinking that this is probably rampant with your own dukes as well, they're letting random idiot counts get hooks on them and it's just not visible as human players probably tend to land new people as they grow upwards.

This is a huge annoyance. You should have the option of just starting a contract over from scratch when you vassalize someone, subject to them rising up and all that like usual, but having to chip away at these things one change at a time is just so tedious.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Albino Squirrel posted:

I wound up getting like 25 achievements in one playthrough, except, oddly enough, the one for lasting until 1453 which didn't seem to trigger in Steam.

I had the same thing happen in the one game I played to the end. Figure I'll get it eventually if I ever finish another play through prob when they make the Emperor level stuff more interesting/less certain.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

star eater posted:

I think having 10k hours in a single game is sick. I’d kill to squeeze that much enjoyment outta a single game.

3 hours a day isn’t ridiculous!! Why is working 40 hours a week to make some prick money ok but spending 3 hours doing something enjoyable outrageous?

Yeah having the free time and something you enjoy that much that you’d want to spend it that way is something people should strive for in life.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Baller Time posted:

I'm a big fan of the Byzantine Empire, they are my main income source via blackmail

Seriously. Golden Obligations + Fabricate Hook and a good Spymaster hanging out in their court and it's basically an infinite money cheat code.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Now leave the search window open after I click on someone from it.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I built a city, knowing it's the wrong holding so I could give it to my non-heir, only when it's finished some random schmuck I never seen before owns it now.

Is there any way to prevent this?

I think new cities by default get handed off to a random Mayor character. You can just revoke their title and hand it off to whoever you like, there's no tyranny for revoking a barony.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

TorakFade posted:

I've been playing Halfdan in the viking age start and, uh, am I right in thinking that as long as I have the money, I should field a full stack of Varangian Veterans? Their stats look :eyepop:

Yup. They're stupidly good and when raise only man at arms comes in the next patch they'll be all the much better.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

These honestly seems like great changes.

Mercenary Cost - Considering that I literally hire every mercenary company in the world late game just so no one else can, this change is spot on. Also being able to hire mercenaries cheaper in desperate small-scale situations without crippling yourself forever financially is definitely an incentive to try riskier starts and focus more on tall play. I like it.

Garrisons - A good change, making war torn territories easier to take back gives more incentive for keeping your own lands peaceful and unoccupied, and rewards responding quickly to your land being sieged down if you get there before the garrison refills as opposed to now where there's no reason not to just wait until whenever it's convenient to un-siege it because it's gonna take a stupid year anyway. This is good.

Faction Synchronization - Seems like this could be a great change, and a very sensible one. Hopefully this will go a ways to making keeping a big realm together harder, which is something the player is much better than the Ai at an contributes a lot to the feeling of the game becoming impossible to lose at a certain point. Might also make those faction happiness perk trees that I never use worth looking at if that's a goal.

Or, alternatively....

Broken Cog posted:

constant free revocations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Serephina posted:

I'm worried that Garrisons will just mean that all these perpetual internal wars (which you could forbid in ck2, right?) will leave everything outside of your personal domain permanently crippled.

You can mitigate them a lot with higher crown authority and you can right click and demand end to vassal war, although it doesn't always work.

But yeah it's a valid concern, and a reason to try to keep your realm more stable, which I think is a good thing.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah I think the biggest I've ever seen the pope get is like five counties.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I would love an entire playable world tbh.

Also not including China probably has a lot to do with being able to sell video games in China while not being forced to pander to them so much that you lose sales in the West.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Ibblebibble posted:

Planning on picking up the base game during the weekend sale, haven't played a GSG since Common Sense-era EU4, what's a good start for a dumb newbie? Would be cool to be outside Europe.

Sri Lanka.

They're feudal, one of the highest developed cultures in the world, on excellent terms with their neighbors. You can play peacefully while you learn to manage successions and then you can ramp into war mode easily. You're so far outside of crusade/jihad range they'll never threaten you unless you expand so far inland that you'll have a huge army by then, and you get to be polygamous and use war elephants.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

This reminds me of the civ 2. In a good way.

Now how can I get a bad Elvis impersonator as a cultural advisor on my council?

Was just thinking reading that of how CK is bringing a throne room back before Civ games do.

Hopefully this all will help address how dull empire level gameplay gets. My worry would be the AI won't handle this well and will just make it even harder for them to blob, hopefully not.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Did you already have the kingdom title?

If you invade kingdom against a kingdom you already own, you'll just conquer the rest of its de jure lands held by someone.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Hey nifty we all get pointy princess hats.

Also I thought it was cool when spouses kept their cultural clothes.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/ck3-dev-diary-63-1-4-0-azure-patch-notes.1478364/

Looks like patch coming later today?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

Ok, my favorite of the new interactions is that if you're irritable, you can duel whoever the hell, but only if you're actually stressed out.

EDIT
Looks like they changed the one weird trick people were using to get out of partition succession.

You mean house seniority with max crown authority? What was the fix?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

I went to go start a game since the patch is out, was hoping to play as a vassal of somebody because the game is just far more fun that way, but holy hell it's nearly unplayable once you notice how loving badly the AI performs. From the 1066 start you can watch as top level rulers immediately grant all their vassals away to intermediate level vassals, hamstringing themselves in the process. And it happens every time, within months of starting the game. It's such an obvious problem, how is this allowed to persist?

They also give out horrible contracts to everyone. It's just so tedious conquering a feudal empire because every single vassal has guaranteed council rights, title revocation protection, no levies or taxes . . . like geez no wonder you all just stood around and watched your emperor get conquered if you think this is gonna keep going the way it has been goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

In CK3 can you still blind and castrate inadequate first sons if Greek?

Ah yup.