Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

I played like a million hours of EU4 and a million hours of Stellaris. I never gave CK2 a shot, but intended to eventually. If feedback is good I might just grab CK3 instead

Well I got onto Stellaris from CK2. Stellaris plays like a civ game in comparison, though its v much my bag. Imagine Stellaris, but every single portrait in the game had the same tools and rules and aim of winning as you. Every one of the bastards can do what you do, even the guys on your team. Especially those guys. DS9 but everyone is garak. CK2 can be minmaxed and cheesed but to little point, its much more fun play it organically and accidentally fail upwards and lock yourself in with a nemesis or two of your own creation, sometimes your own blood. I never found it a power fantasy game, its much more about scrambling to salvage a position at the top of the pile and laughing at how the hell you managed to pull that off.

CK3 might be even more like that. I'd play CK2 pen and paper beside me taking note of my council member's money to spot if anyone was on the take, but its even more blackmail focused which isn't going to be something I can probably keep note of. I'll just be paying attention to who could gain from each mysterious action until I start blaming my computer for being in on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011

orangelex44 posted:

There's achievements for a ton of things that people will do just by playing the game. There's literally one for just playing to the last year! There's another one for just going up in rank (count->duke or whatever).

Cheevos are used as a way of gauging when people dropped off a game or mechanics they didn't bother with, odds and sods devs can then tweak or note for the next game. They're not entirely for the player's sense of accomplishment. I'm sure you could go pick a random steam game and infer how many people actually completed it purely by looking at the achievements.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Gort posted:

So lemme get this straight

I can preorder this game for £42

Or I can pay £1 for a month of Microsoft Game Pass, and then £4 a month thereafter and get a shitload of other games too

Why did anyone preorder this

Wait, do you actually own it through game pass?

wit
Jul 26, 2011
I've been furiously F5ing for the update then remembered its a mid level change in an absolutely glacially paced game.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Bird in a Blender posted:

I bought CK3 a week ago, I guess I should've waited for the expansion to drop, but oh well. This is my first time playing any of the CK games, so I'm learning my way through.

Had a weird thing happen to me though, and I'm wondering if it's because of the expansion. I was playing through my tutorial game, and was doing pretty well. Save it last night while in the middle of a war, and when I came back today, my save was all hosed up. It said the save was from a different version of CK. Armies were completely wiped out, my king looked different and died like immediately after starting. Essentially my whole game got completely ruined. Is there any saving this, or should I just move on?

This is the paradox way which is brutal given most of their good games you sink days into a play. They only do it when big updates happen though. So many dead royals on the steam forums now. Vive la revolution!

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

No there is none, you can move the emblems everywhere but not flip them. It frustrates me too. Or maybe i am blind and dumb.

Figured it out for you. copy to text, put in a minus value for the scale, paste it in.

texture="ce_lion_rampant_per_pale.dds"
instance={
position={ 0.510000 0.440000 }
scale={ -0.710000 0.710000 }
}

wit
Jul 26, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

People have reported bugs where the AI armies just stand around doing nothing, or even worse, walking away from the area. I have not noticed any of these though. Your allies are very good at sieging and supporting you in battles, 10/10, I am very happy.
There is one issue with the AI though, that is in pretty much all the paradox games, and that is that the AI will never surrender. They will fight to the bitter end no matter the cause, they will go heavily into debt, have their vassals killed/executed in the war and let their own country get completely ruined no matter the wargoal. For example if you declare war on a huge empire for a single county the AI will happily ruin their entire country forever just to stop you. They will happily surrender to some peasants with 50% army strength though when they send an ultimatum.

So here's an example of what just happened in a game. I was able to replay it from an autosave and examine what was going on. I, as Ireland invade Wales, call France to arms. France comes, lands and two stacks start sieging the hell out of Wales with me. Then one just kind of hovers around while I and another stack are sieging two cities. Then the two stacks just get up and leave Wales.

What's actually happened is France has entirely emptied out just to fight in an ally war and left itself open to attack from Provence. When Provence declared war, I wasn't told about it. France finished its last job in wales - the siege while the other stack waited by so they could both arrive to defend France together rather than in little piddling amounts. I'm playing on a low difficulty so don't know if all of France would be so goddamn stupid as to go on a welsh vacation on hard or not. Either way, those situations could be at least clarified with an "oh poo poo I left Paris' oven on" update from your ally or something.

With the never back down thing, they rarely have anything to gain from backing down, and if they were too easy to negotiate with then the player could just start unwinnable wars to turn unpressed claims to pressed down the line.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

MikeC posted:

I have played every night since launch and haven't seen anything horrible. I am sure there are bugs affecting some mechanics that I might not even notice but the experience is smooth for me so far.

A few things should have flags checked but dont. Like people petition to be your poet. But aren't poets. So quit. Or factions are formed against you by children. Who can't form factions, so stop. This one seems to repeat over and over. One guy has twice accidentally plotted to murder himself and apparently chaste people can't learn foreign languages because they must have just copy/pasted the checks from seduction scheme.

Eldoop posted:

Managed to gently caress myself real bad on succession just now lmao. I started as the Duke of Toulouse and managed to conquer most of Aquitane and a good chunk of Burgundy, but couldn't form either because of still being a vassal to France, and I couldn't remove myself from France because the king and I were friends. So I figured oh well I'll just have to spend a little while reuniting things after I die and then my heir can take care of that, he's never even met the king so what will he care. But uh oh! Turns out if your heir is your grandkid they don't get those claims! So now I'm back to square one with just Toulouse and a couple random counties. Lesson learned I guess!

e: Oh and of course all my aunts and uncles who inherited those duchies have claims on my poo poo lol, didn't even think about that. I think it may be time to start a new game.

VV: You've been left with nothing Toulouse then?

wit fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 11, 2022

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Eldoop posted:

I unpaused and immediately caught my mother loving an ox in my stables, so. Yes.

I'd have told her to stop because you're in the middle of playing a video game and its off-putting if it were me. No wonder you're making mistakes in game.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

I Am Fowl posted:

I've found the best artifact in the game already.

This expansion is full of great features but I think I'm gonna hold off playing again for just a little bit until a patch hits. There's just enough annoying bugs that it's affecting my experience.

If so, don't lose that save, because you've discovered a prototype sonichu medallion and it should be the focal point of your game now.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Has anyone encountered any events from their council jobs since they update? Like extra taxes, get a duchy title instead of a county claim. Or hell, even find secrets? It would seem that they are either triggering impossibly rarely or not at all and I never even noticed.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Hargrimm posted:

Yeah, it's a bug. They marked that report as "In Review" so they are aware and looking at it at least, hopefully it gets addressed in the bugfix patch probably coming fairly soon.

Heres hoping. I'd be interested to know what specifically broke it. Now I've twigged on to it I don't think I'll play til its fixed because those events are a big part of the game overall. Like I don't wait for X fortunate RNG event to fire, but I absolutely lean on them hard when they do.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
I'd even settle on having a parenting decision like pilgrimage every few years. Pick a kid, maybe pass on a hook, ingratiate them with the court or introduce them to allies, teach them a point in the skill tree that you already have, and have them be hated by their siblings for outright favoritism that lasts throughout their lives. Or failing that, send them off for a year or so they come back with some flavoured buff about them vaguely having proven their poo poo is together and they're worthy to rule.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Nam Taf posted:

Had my oldest ever ruler die last night.

He had whole of body, the dog walking buff, and several others I don't recall off the top of my head.

He hit infirm at something like 70 but his overall health stayed 'fine' thanks to the positive buffs. At 112 the 'you're about to die' popup appeared when he caught smallpox, only for it to disappear when he recovered from it at 113.

Naturally, you can imagine how completely and terribly everything subsequently went to poo poo.

Aww. Dude needs a statue in the court. Surprised that isn't a mod yet, but I'd wager all the model modders are too busy making them shag if sims 4 is anything to go by. Couldn't fault them if they are, you could retire off one of those thirsty patreons.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

BigPaddy posted:

There is an court inspiration that has a statue of the current ruler made so it shouldn’t be hard to make it less random.

Very cool, I haven't encountered that!

wit
Jul 26, 2011

MikeC posted:

edit: I can't speak for the guy who says his allied army marched away from battle. I have never seen that happen.
It happened with me but only because Provence invaded France while France's army was farting around invading a small beans county war in wales with me. It was logical but really lovely of them and wouldn't have seemed so broken if there was some kind of notification. Its just lore in my game that France are the worst friends. I've a feeling if you examine whats going on globally theres probably a drat good reason for the AI to seem like its borking. But ghosting me like that? Poor show France.

e: I read this and realised I am still ridiculously bitter about an AI calculation. TY CK3 for making me xenophobic.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I saw the warning, and I've been deliberately avoiding filling those spots if the person didn't love me. Though I'm curious if it's because people with 80+ rep will still happily murder you (as they seem to do with factions) or if it's that I'm lacking defense against hostile actions because those slots are empty...

Just a thing on this. You have access on each character profile to not just how much money a character has, but how much is coming in each month. So if say your bodyguard suddenly has a big jump in gold and only has your court wage coming in, he's been paid off by someone. Impossible to catch on anything but slowest setting, but if you check how much they have when you hire them you can reasonably figure out if they could have acquired that money on their own by eyeballing it.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Hryme posted:

The wives of my sons often start wandering. Is this a known bug? It also means that if they get kids they are also wandering.

When you say wandering, do you mean going off to work in another court? What she owns or inherits isn't what your son owns. Seems screwy but if you do a lot of marrying off for prestige and alliance the spouse will sometimes be in line to inherit something better than sitting in your court. It doesn't sound realistic, likely because in the real world those eventualities would have been factored in before agreeing to marry off somewhere. If the game added a fully realistic version of that your head would implode.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Hryme posted:

No she was the sister of a baron and didn't inherit anything. My son married her when he turned 16 and she was 18. I swayed her to get her to convert to catholicism and then didn't look at her until 6 years later when I wondered why they had no kids yet. When I looked at them I noticed they did have a kid but he was wandering with his mother and I didn't get any notification that he was born. I have no clue why she started wandering. With wandering I mean she and the kid are guests at other courts. Not officially connected to any court.

Sorry I completely forgot that wandering is a mechanic when I took it as a word! I've only started playing ck3 again since the dlc. Reading through the files now and oh god, it just looks like people can be very easily convinced to come to court now if its pimped out on top of other things like relative, culture etc. Haven't noticed this happen to me yet but sounds like shes partying it up in CK3: Cribs. Is she at P Diddy's?

wit fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 19, 2022

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Buschmaki posted:

This focus on cultures is just reminding me of how there are barely any clothes in the game, everyone from like, the seljuks to the han chinese are all just dressed in mongolian clothes and it's sorta super jarring...

It'll probably be sold as a silk road flavour pack. After movie night and fitness flavour packs of course.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Serephina posted:

So uh, was someone saying that Learn Language was broken currently? Since right now my language tutor isn't giving me any sort of bonus, and every failed attempt is 125 stress which quite frankly seems like a lot.

If you're chaste its like -20, and a few other odd stats make it stressful and difficult. I get that being outgoing is great for picking up a language but I think they copied pasted it from seduction scheme or something. Because everything in CK3 is nefarious puppetmaster stuff, even your Spanish homework assignment.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

SexyBlindfold posted:

Hey y'all I just picked up the game after years - dumb question, but why can't I appoint any courtier to the Steward position? Seems like Spymaster accepts any rando in my court and/or direct vassals, but Steward only allows vassals and important family members? I tried looking around but neither the tooltips nor the encyclopedia list any requirements for the council positions.

You can have a lady spymaster but not a lady other positions in most jobs straight off the bat. Priest dude is based on your religion so you may or may not be able to replace them and then that can be gender based.

Basically Chancellor, Steward and Marshall are the only ones that are standard jobs (dudes who have a title), spouse, archibishop have very specific rules and spymaster is kind of off the books so can be anyone. It becomes insignificant after the first few battles though but early on yes, it can be slim pickings.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

SlothBear posted:

Haven't played the current patch but before I saw crusades win all the time.

Yeah absolutely nothing runs like it did historically anymore because William the Conqueror has an elven cap of invisibility and The Pope wants it at all costs. Or some such poo poo like that. The mcguffins and fairly arbitrary buffs have done poo poo that'd make Marty McFly blush to the timeline.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Can you train your goddamn people yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wit
Jul 26, 2011
Haven't played in a while. Is the allied enemy AI still awful? Last I played they would just do their own terrible, mercurial thing then ultimately just wonder off from the war without even a notification. It felt like I was playing lemmings, but there was some malice behind it.