Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
ugh it's so annoying when wars don't make sense

I'm a vassal and one of my fellow vassals declared a war against our liege, starting war #1 where I'm on the same side as the liege. So I took the opportunity to launch war #2 against the liege. But I'm still in war #1 on the same side as the liege, and the other vassal is sieging me even though we should be teaming up... Why didn't I leave war #1 when war #2 started?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I love to attack an enemy army and see a big green flag that says I will win decisively only to get routed when my allies just nope out instead of joining the fight. I could have subjugated Khazaria as Rurik and been v close to forming the Russian Empire if the Duke of Kazan wasn’t a coward.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Wars are very annoying in this game because there is zero coordination between allies. I have to imagine that even back then, two allies would talk to each other and make a game plan. Also the occasional misclick and my own army is getting rerouted to who knows where.

I've learned to not be the first one to show up to the crusade too. As I've definitely have been greeted by a rather large mob who completely demolishes me.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Yes I've noticed a couple of times war allies not committing to a fight that could be easily won and just hovering or joining the fight too late and not making a difference. I don't recall if they were doing this last time I played

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
There seems to be three different types of traditions:

Worst:

Traditions that modify combat advantage on terrain. There are quite a few of these and they just feel like filler/bloat. They should be merged into traditions that make terrain type more economically desirable.

Traditions that modify troop damage. No one cares. Combat is the least interesting part of Crusader Kings and always has been.

Okay:

Traditions that convey economic advantage on terrain. Traditions that give access to unique unit types. Traditions that modify buildings/building types.

The Best:

Traditions that modify characters. That is traditions that make traits different, or give access to new traits or make certain traits more common. Traditions that offer new events or succession types, giving access to more diverse role playing opportunities. Traditions that shape gameplay mechanics (I.E. Mystical Ancestors). These are the traditions that make the game feel fresh, diverse and interesting. There are too few of these.

I haven't had a chance to play with most traditions, but it seems to me like a lot of them are pretty obvious bloat.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Yes I've noticed a couple of times war allies not committing to a fight that could be easily won and just hovering or joining the fight too late and not making a difference. I don't recall if they were doing this last time I played

Something is hosed with the AIs decisions on compaign; you can have a stack of 5000 Terminator MaAs standing around doing nothing, and the AI will look at it's 8000 man levy army and march towards you double time, despite the fact that the battle indicator clearly shows that I'll win the fight easily (and thus they will certainly lose).

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Army AI is for sure borked right now, I'm constantly seeing big stacks just sitting in place for months instead of getting into winnable battles or sieging things. A couple times I've been able to just go siege an enemy's capital while their equally-sized army just kind of sits and watches from a couple counties over.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Eldoop posted:

Army AI is for sure borked right now, I'm constantly seeing big stacks just sitting in place for months instead of getting into winnable battles or sieging things. A couple times I've been able to just go siege an enemy's capital while their equally-sized army just kind of sits and watches from a couple counties over.

They do that if they don't think they can win for whatever reason. It seems like the AI recognizes a certain zone of control that enemy armies have and then decides whether it can beat that stack(s) if it got into a fight. If it can't, then it is going to default try to siege down a war goal. Its first action seems to be making sure it avoids destruction if it can't beat your stack and that means actively running away. If it feels it is cornered and can't get to a war goal without going past that zone of control where it can be intercepted and destroyed, it will sit on the best piece of defensive terrain nearby as an army-in-being and hope you make a mistake or separate your forces for whatever reason. If it feels it can beat your stack(s) it will simply move towards them at full speed until it forces to battle or you move so far away from the war goal that it simply goes back to sieging it down.

Allied armies simply march to whatever to fight with a player army regardless of win or lose. If you aren't actively marching to an enemy army it seems to siege down nearby settlements especially if it gives war goals or if there is nothing relevant nearby and moving away from you stack risks its own destruction (if it can't be at the enemy stack on its own) it will stack on top of you while sieges occur or move exactly one tile away where you can reinforce it or it can run back to you for a big battle.

edit: I can't speak for the guy who says his allied army marched away from battle. I have never seen that happen.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do i check how the bonuses from Castle holders is granted?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

How do i check how the bonuses from Castle holders is granted?

Mouse over your renown and you'll see a breakdown of where it comes from, the renown from castles is pretty obvious if you're getting it there! :)

Also you can mouse over the castle holding itself and it will show you that it gives the boost.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
I find it ridiculous that when you land your son and heir and negotiate alliance with him as a king, your vassals can still attack him without you being able to do anything about it. I find it extremely unlikely that a king would just watch as one of his subordinates takes the land he gave to his son. I landed him because his son was wandering and could not get an education (because his mother was wandering, I have no clue how that happened). Normally I know landing my heirs is a very bad idea.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 17, 2022

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm beginning to wonder if every single spouse I ever have will be allergic to cats...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Hryme posted:

I find it ridiculous that when you land your son and heir and negotiate alliance with him as a king, your vassals can still attack him without you being able to do anything about it. I find it extremely unlikely that a king would just watch as one of his subordinates takes the land he gave to his son. I landed him because his son was wandering and could not get an education (because his mother was wandering, I have no clue how that happened). Normally I know landing my heirs is a very bad idea.

Pro Strat: land your heir with non de jure land, negotiate alliance, Grant Independence. Then he can call you into wars and (unless it changed in the patch) double up on his inheritance share.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

PittTheElder posted:

Pro Strat: land your heir with non de jure land, negotiate alliance, Grant Independence. Then he can call you into wars and (unless it changed in the patch) double up on his inheritance share.

How does that work? Does he still get his "fair share" of whats left of the kingdom after independance is granted?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Bird in a Blender posted:

I've learned to not be the first one to show up to the crusade too. As I've definitely have been greeted by a rather large mob who completely demolishes me.

Best way to get top contributor in a crusade is to just let your army get wiped. Just dont send anyone important.

Speakin of...a nice QOL thing would be a second chance confirmation (are you sure...idiot?) of switching rulers or faith or culture. I got lucky in one incident and shutdown the program before it saved.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
How do I get rid of leased holdings in counties I have taken over? I just took over Rome and the grandmaster of some holy order has leased a lot of holdings that I can't use. I want him gone.

Also some kind of update was just released. 1.5.0.2.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

MikeC posted:

How does that work? Does he still get his "fair share" of whats left of the kingdom after independance is granted?

I'll be honest, I have never tried. But I've absolutely noticed it with secondary heirs; if they become independent for some reason, suddenly any titles you'd already given them no longer count against their share of the Partition. I'd bet it works for your primary heir as well.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

TjyvTompa posted:

How do I get rid of leased holdings in counties I have taken over? I just took over Rome and the grandmaster of some holy order has leased a lot of holdings that I can't use. I want him gone.

When you click the leased holding there should be a little button that looks like a castle with a small x on it. Click that and it should give those lazy Templars the boot. Though, now that I think about it, this may only work if you directly hold the county that the holding is in, so hopefully you haven't given it away yet.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

MikeC posted:

edit: I can't speak for the guy who says his allied army marched away from battle. I have never seen that happen.
It happened with me but only because Provence invaded France while France's army was farting around invading a small beans county war in wales with me. It was logical but really lovely of them and wouldn't have seemed so broken if there was some kind of notification. Its just lore in my game that France are the worst friends. I've a feeling if you examine whats going on globally theres probably a drat good reason for the AI to seem like its borking. But ghosting me like that? Poor show France.

e: I read this and realised I am still ridiculously bitter about an AI calculation. TY CK3 for making me xenophobic.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

PizzaProwler posted:

When you click the leased holding there should be a little button that looks like a castle with a small x on it. Click that and it should give those lazy Templars the boot. Though, now that I think about it, this may only work if you directly hold the county that the holding is in, so hopefully you haven't given it away yet.

That's the issue, the X only appears if you are the patron of the holy order. This is a catholic holy order and I am hindu. Anyway I googled around and it seems it is a long standing bug/issue and the only way to fix it is through the console, which is not available in ironman mode. Very irritating as they control several holdings in and around Rome.

Here's the patch notes for 1.5.0.2, some fixes for more serious issues: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/update-1-5-0-2-february-17-2022.1511717/

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

That's the issue, the X only appears if you are the patron of the holy order. This is a catholic holy order and I am hindu. Anyway I googled around and it seems it is a long standing bug/issue and the only way to fix it is through the console, which is not available in ironman mode. Very irritating as they control several holdings in and around Rome.

Oh dang, that's still an issue then. I really hate that. Holy Orders could be a really cool game mechanic, but I'm so often frustrated by how they're implemented right now.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Dorkopotamis posted:

Speaking of cool traditions: what are we all liking?

I enjoy the combo of Philosopher Culture and Warrior Priests. I tend to neglect martial trees and focus on learning anyway. This pair makes my learned family members and even priests very effective commanders and knights.

Linguists gives a big bonus to fabricating claims commensurate to your learning. By the time I unlocked it, the estimated time to complete for the court chaplain was down to 6 months.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Have some bordergore

I had a continent spanning Scandinavia, and decided I wanted to play someone smaller again. I used elective to get rid of the top title, and then joined the independence faction after succession.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I'm Mann and the Isles

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
Is there some mod to make demanding payments for hooks less clicky? Maybe only show me the ones which have enough money to pay full price or somesuch?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Is there some mod to make demanding payments for hooks less clicky? Maybe only show me the ones which have enough money to pay full price or somesuch?

Calling in house members to wars is similarly a click fest. It costs nothing and if you're going to call in one, why not call them all?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Dorkopotamis posted:

Calling in house members to wars is similarly a click fest. It costs nothing and if you're going to call in one, why not call them all?

It's only free in defensive wars, in offensive it costs 75 renown.
Anyway everything in this game is a god drat clickfest. I love how when you win a holy war it never replaces the city owners so you have to click revoke, then click to actually revoke, then click the dialog that appears then click grant title then click again to finally grant it. For every single city. Oh and sometimes it doesn't revoke the temples/churches either even though the holder is of the wrong religion so you have to do it for all of them too.
This game ruins hands, arms and mice.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

TjyvTompa posted:

It's only free in defensive wars, in offensive it costs 75 renown.
Anyway everything in this game is a god drat clickfest. I love how when you win a holy war it never replaces the city owners so you have to click revoke, then click to actually revoke, then click the dialog that appears then click grant title then click again to finally grant it. For every single city. Oh and sometimes it doesn't revoke the temples/churches either even though the holder is of the wrong religion so you have to do it for all of them too.
This game ruins hands, arms and mice.

I don't have the courage to do all of that so unless it's something really important or in my demesne i just let my counts and dukes sort it out.

I figure at some point they'll be annoyed by their wrong religion barons and kick them out themselves.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Oof, Royal Court makes the transition to feudal pretty rough. It’s usually been a “rip off the bandaid” type of thing for me, but the cost of getting grandeur up/opinion malus from being below expected grandeur is pretty harsh right after the income drop from going feudal. Within a couple of years I’ve had three major rebellions and an invasion.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
At succession, new mayors are of the culture and religion of their county, so there's no real pressing need to revoke all those city holdings, it will sort itself out in time.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Torrannor posted:

At succession, new mayors are of the culture and religion of their county, so there's no real pressing need to revoke all those city holdings, it will sort itself out in time.

The one caveat would be if you're handing out counties to family members you want to keep alive; the AI always puts their powerful vassals on the council, so they routinely end up with a -80 opinion wrong culture/religion spymaster.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Has anyone spontaneously converted? It's happened to me twice now and I'm not sure why. It's not even for any huge neighboring religion. Catholic one day, Jewish the next. I can't even convert back because I don't have enough faith built up I guess. Everyone hates me extra now, great.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Has anyone spontaneously converted? It's happened to me twice now and I'm not sure why. It's not even for any huge neighboring religion. Catholic one day, Jewish the next. I can't even convert back because I don't have enough faith built up I guess. Everyone hates me extra now, great.

Never heard of it, can't see any bug report about it on the forums either. Are you using any mods?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Oof, Royal Court makes the transition to feudal pretty rough. It’s usually been a “rip off the bandaid” type of thing for me, but the cost of getting grandeur up/opinion malus from being below expected grandeur is pretty harsh right after the income drop from going feudal. Within a couple of years I’ve had three major rebellions and an invasion.

I was worried about the transition myself, and the penalties and amount of gold you need to fork out for the Royal Court did also take me by surprise. Luckily I had 15,000 gold in the bank.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

No? I think some stress level events have option to convert, maybe you clicked on some such option?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea maybe I clicked something on accident. Is there a log of when this happens? I could never find anything. Maybe I can go to an old save and see when it happened.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Probably not the stupidest CoA I could've come up with, but it makes me smile every time I see it.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

PizzaProwler posted:

Probably not the stupidest CoA I could've come up with, but it makes me smile every time I see it.
Medieval version of this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
1.5.0.2 patch notes, very small but they've apparently fixed the hosed up eyes.