Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So I think I have a pretty good handle on things now.

Saying that, could use more events, and would really like to know some of the mods people like thus far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Reforming the faith so that Witchcraft is fine now and also men and women can inherit is just wonderful.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Okay, is this a bug? I've just had this happen and I am very much weirded out by it?

I am currently playing as Harald II, but have just died:

My succesor is my Nephew:

He is now High King of Scandinavia and King of Norway. All well and good.

However my capital province was Vestfold and has been inherited by this person:

I don't understand I had made Vestfold the Capital of a multi-kingdom spanning Empire and for some odd reason this random lady inherits? She is Harald II Grand-daughter?! She has also somehow become head of the household despite being 13?

I do not understand in the slightest Iota what the gently caress is happening? Surely the most powerful house member should be head of the household, if I can't institute primogeniture in my realm it sure as gently caress shouldn't apply to my family line.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

That's why I stopped playing my Norse run, it happened loving every time. Every time, someone else inherited my capital, even if it was the only loving county my main character had personally when he died.

There is SURELY something wrong there.

Thank you! I assumed I was going mad!

I did everything, I changed the inheritance for the Duchy, I gave the people different lands so that they wouldn't inherit etc. Nothing. loving nothing.

It's driving me mad because why the gently caress is the single county "primogeniture" but the rest of the realm isn't? She's also head of the household, a 13 year old landless daughter of a son I don't need is suddenly the head of a continent spanning imperial family, whilst the actual emperor doesn't get anything?

That and it says "you always keep your capital" which is an out and out lie.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 6, 2020

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I think "transfer Vassal" should work.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Is it just me or does the game kind of "break" a bit when you go above Kingdom level play? It just seems to get very confused very fast.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Excelzior posted:

felt like the opposite to me, once you have a kingdom under control blobbing up is exponentially easier because of the resources at your disposal

See I am trying to get out of "tribal" and the inheritance mechanics for county/duchy level things is driving me up the wall.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Xerophyte posted:

It seems like inheritance currently gets very confusing when you get multiple titles with different inheritance types, in addition to the house head inheritance. Which is historical, I guess, if not much fun.

It seems more straightforward for the people who aren't playing with some titles under scandinavian or some version of elective

Ahhhhh, got it.

Well I just hope it gets fixed so that I can go back to ruling all of Northern Europe.

Eschatos posted:

How do I legitimize a bastard? My queen got maimed in the latest crusade, and I'm thinking I'd like to disinherit my heir in favor of a younger illegitimate son. Not seeing an option for it when I right click him though.

If she's head of a dynasty you should be able to legitimise them.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

What exactly decides who gets to be Dynasty head?

I hate to say it, but I fear it's essentially "primogeniture". Whatever it is, it's dumb as hell.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

I'm assuming this is because of Elective? Maybe specifically the Scandinavian Elective inheritance law?

The reason that law gives you some random county in the middle of nowhere, is that the law is only for the highest titile, nothing else. All your other titles, duchies, counties, are still levied up between your children.
The best way to use this method is to make your heir someone that is already landed.

But this is the thing, I made all of my titles Scandi Elective. Right down to my dukedom. But I still can't inherit my goddamn county.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Okay, you remember yesterday how I was having a problem with the realm getting stupidly divided up for no good reason. WELL I FOUND OUT WHAT CAUSED IT

In this picture the Jarldom of Vestfold has Scandi elective (hereafter reduce to SE) and so does the Kingdom of Norway. All well and good, and I can continue to receive the full amount of counties when my ruler dies. All good so far.

However the second I institute SE in The Empire of Scandinavia it all goes to poo poo and I get this

Having also lost a load of other provinces beforehand.

To me this seems like a bug, there is nothing mentioning that setting your highest title to something else should cause lower ranked titles to go to some random other bugger in the family line.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I personally love that the Chivalry route means you can declare peace at 90%.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Skypie posted:

yeah, I had. when I first sent him, it said 21 years left. It's down to 10 now. Is it related to his skill or even maybe opinion of me?

I think it's skill, but opinion might play into it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Martout posted:

Great stuff, Björn Ironside, having elephants as your cultural fascination, top rank

Who amongst us isn't obsessed with elephants.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Please don't bring back societies.

If they have more events but less ridiculous power levels would be nice.

We need more events in general tbh. Like at least 1 every two months would be lovely.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Hargrimm posted:

If you murder plot against a sibling, do you still get the stress penalty when they die?

Well I didn't get stress when my son died in my prison because he'd kept murdering my courtiers.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

When you start out as him, divorce your wife and search for characters with "Norse" culture and filter by "Beautiful" trait. Makes the start even better.

But yeah, he's chill. Though a lot slower than the other Scandinavian viking bigwigs.

How Dare you. I made her my soul mate and ended up with 11+ children!

Also, apparently attempting to go feudal is a fools errand as tribal folks, can anyone confirm?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I saved up about 10k gold to build up my provinces, and it's going okay.

One thing I do wish though is that the "found university" idea could move to other provinces if possible. I built up my lovely part of the world to 20 development before 1050 AD, throw me a bone paradox.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I do feel like there should be more to be getting on with when not at war. The thing that makes CK fun is character elements and there needs to be more of them.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I give an unrelated family member a title holding and suddenly I can't make my heir heir to the Kingdom of Norway?

This game breaks like a plate falling from a roof once you hit 1000+ dynasty level.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I am getting increasingly infuriated on how many times I get "handsome, intelligent and healthy- pick 2" in this game. All I need is one of my family to finally get the magic eight ball to give me super strong kids and it just doesn't happen.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

ilitarist posted:

The game needs a "what happens in terms of succession if I die right now" button.

Or maybe there's one and I'm missing it.

There is an "inheritance" button in the realm screen, if that would help?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Yeah, things need to splinter more often.

Also, something needs to be done about how I only seem to get 3 troops from my vassals, considering that I own every bit of coastline from Finland to Portugal.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

OK so it really seems like basically with enough prestige I can just attach a succession law to a Kingdom title and my heir would receive it because it does a separate check? This seems extremely gamey, I am up to five kingdom titles staying with my heir when the realm is overall Partition lol.

I wonder if this would work with Empire titles? Could I keep two empire titles without needing to lock in primogeniture?

You absolutely can. It's how the Yngling dynasty now has a technical claim on every single empire in western Europe.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Does anyone know if/when there is going to be a fix for the head of dynasty being some random king when I am in charge of every empire from the arctic circle to the loving Gulf of Guinea?

Why does this game have so many fun bits and then just go "lol, nope" to stuff.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I did that and it didn't do it. About how long does it take, for it to "bounce" though? If you know. Also how does it calculate "strength"?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It can take up to a year for it to switch over. Strength is based purely on military strength, most troops wins.

Hmm, does that not include levies and just "personal" troops?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

It's weird, it doesn't seem to swap even after 2 years of waiting.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It can take up to a year for it to switch over. Strength is based purely on military strength, most troops wins.

Broken Cog posted:

If you make a new cadet branch it will usually bounce the dynasty head title back to you if you're the strongest dynasty member.

Thanks folks! Reloaded and tried a second time and it worked! Thanks for the advice!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

A vassal murdered my son and heir but because I transitioned from being a tribal power I can't imprison him?

Also, what do people do once they reach a big enough size? I am now at 1175 (ish) and have conquered all of Western Europe. Other than research what are people doing waiting for the end game?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

AG3 posted:

Did you raise crown authority after transitioning? I'm actually not sure if the lowest crown authority allows imprisonment.

Yep, all of my crowns are at full authority (as said, I now own most of Western Europe).

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Go make your own religion, attack and dethrone God, install your dynasty in every other country, inbreed like a (own)motherfucker and birth a purebred child, or start a new game or switch characters to a vassal or rival.

Already done. Catholicism no longer exists in Europe, Astaru has more countries following it than any other major faith, my dynasty is now in charge of most nations. The only thing I don't want to do is inbreeding.

Might start a new game though, try and play on ironman now that I have a reasonable understanding of mechanics.

I do wish there were some more cool things we could do with temples, saying that I have spent 100 hours in this game and might have played a bit too much.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 22, 2020

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I might take a short break from the game and hope some mods come out to introduce some variety before starting a new game. I really like the random events, I just wish there were a little more variety. Like I had fun converting all of my clan into a witch coven but once I did I swear I had like 1 unique witch event (I think it was hostile scheme related) then I haven't seen anything witchy since. My heir then my main character got assassinated so I never had a chance to convert my grandson to witchcraft and ever since then I think my dynasty has been non-witches even though I have the coven bonus.

Hard Agree. We desperately need more cool events and things to do when we aren't at war. I love having little side projects to work on, and witchcraft should give me the option of invoking Frejya to stop a guy ever having kids again.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I'm still sad that they are keeping the inheritance the same.

I don't want to keep murdering family members.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Still asking for more cool events. Game still feels a little sparse without them.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I would really appreciate it if they changed the inheritance system back to something vaguely usual for most of the medieval period, as opposed to having to have a continent spanning Empire in order to not just be able to choose an heir.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

You couldn’t choose an heir in CK2 either

Sorry, I should mean "choose an heir" as in being able to tell who would inherit through stuff like "it goes to your son/daughter and your lands stay in one piece". I know so many people who essentially got part of the way through and just decided to stop because everything they built kept imploding. That and not knowing why some random uncle gets to be head of the household even though you are in charge of all of Norway and he is in charge of a barony in Essex.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

So I'm planning on reforming the Norse Faith. Is there way to keep Blots and not have the human sacrifice?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Azhais posted:

Blot literally means "blood sacrifice"

I mean I am fine sacrificing a tonne of horses/cows/sheep/pigs. Because there is good eating on them.

It'll just have to be roleplaying, well I am cool with that. Plan is to have my 76 year old King of Norgr do a mass sacrifice and then have a sudden shacking awareness of all the murder he's done and reform the faith. Kind of like Ashoka but more personal.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

It does seem a trifle odd, raising MaA defo should have been in from the start.

Saying that I look across at EUIV at the moment and wonder if everything is okay at Paradox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

This is so completely my poo poo. I love that this is like the old upgrades you could get for your house in the Republics DLC back in 2. I cannot wait.