Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

UrbicaMortis posted:

At some point I want to start as a Cornish character and make a big Cornish Empire

This is my default CK game. Onen hag oll (under my sway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

ilitarist posted:

I think Paradox overestimates how much people care about balance and gameplay.

I think most game devs do, as shown by the popularity of cheats, mods giving godlike armour/weapons, etc.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

orangelex44 posted:

There's achievements for a ton of things that people will do just by playing the game. There's literally one for just playing to the last year!

After many hundreds of hours I have still not achieved that. But of course the easier achievements are in there so everyone can have some however crap they are, which is good.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I think it is the first game I've ever pre-ordered, I'm going to be playing it asap. I won't mind if it isn't yet as good as CK2, I'm just looking forward to seeing the new ideas, so I should enjoy at least a few hours with it.

Just as long as it runs on my machine, anyway (unlike Horizon Zero Dawn, alas).

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

Downloading and I will be playing within a couple of minutes :woop:

I have 23 minutes to go dammit :argh:

I am actually looking forward to being forced to accept gavelkind, which is stupid when I could have embraced it lovingly the whole time.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

No Pants posted:

I did early start Bohemia after repeatedly getting destroyed as early start Cornwall

I have also been repeatedly destroyed as early start Cornwall, I think the 867 bloodbath is making small realms basically unplayable unless you can pledge fealty to someone.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I don't mind Cornwall being raided in 867, that seems fair enough, but I'm not so sure that any and every Norse ruler should be claiming my county. It's not as if Cornish levies could really help out much in the Orkneys.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Stokes posted:

Your bishop doesn't like you and your vassal mayor isn't very skilled but demands the job. It's a pretty heavy Intrigue Focused start, but thankfully your Spymaster is a 17 year old Elusive Shadow who can educate your Heir.

Character stats and skills change between games, so replaying the same realm can be extremely different.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Frog Act posted:

Do I use my priest to fabricate a claim on Ossory and go to war?

Yes. Also declare holy war on any rulers that adopt a heresy, and try to encourage people with existing claims to your court and press them, get in good with the pope and ask for claims.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

The ambient sounds are great and all, but I really wish they'd stop when the game is paused, so you have an audio cue.

Other wishes:
Messages should be dissmissable by right clicking anywhere on them, not just in the title bar.
Lock tooltips with the left mouse button (I have no middle button dammit).
Filter to eliminate potential spouses who are not fertile enough to give you children

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Dwesa posted:

There is a fertility filter in "arrange marriage" or whatever it is called window.

Yes, but it does not do what I want. I don't really care if a character could get someone else pregnant but not me, as revealed by the 'chance of children' text.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

seriously how do you make the top centre popups gently caress off? is that the tooltip mode thing?

Right click.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Where can I see how much dread I have?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Does anyone else find the new map hard to parse sometimes?

I find it easier to use if I make it show faiths most of the time.

I do miss the Diplo relations map option as well, finding out where I should send my army is harder now.

And speaking of diplomatic relationships - is there somewhere I can see my liege's opinion of another vassal? I've only found my fellow vassal's attitude to the liege.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

Speaking of hooks, it is my opinion that putting a single perk into Golden Obligations is probably worth it for almost any character

I think Intrigue's Truth is relative (letting you fabricate hooks) is also a very useful insurance, in case your liege manages to change your vassal contract for example.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

TotalHell posted:

I swear to god I enabled Ironman before starting my current game in order to get achievements.

It's annoying that it doesn't remember your choice, I bet most players tend to use Ironman either all the time or never.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Qubee posted:

I get a bug sometimes where a whole branch is unlocked and I can immediately get the perk.

A good education gives you that.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I'm puzzled by the approval numbers.

1) In my liege's council all the councillors except me have approval stats at the bottom of their council portraits. The tooltip for those numbers does not match it at all. (The stats are the same as those given on their character sheets for their opinion of their liege, and the tooltip there does match.)

2) I still can't find a way to see people's opinions of anyone but me or their liege.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Sindai posted:

It's weird that you lost it in the first place since it's supposed to go to the primary heir, which is also who you should be playing after succession. That might be a bug?

No I think Dynasty head goes to the most powerful ruler. I lost it after I made a dynasty member my crusade beneficiary and they became King of Jerusalem.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

TorakFade posted:

I mean, if discovering a focused innovation takes 40 years, it means I could only choose 10 in the whole game ... when there's like 15 in each of the 4 eras + any cultural/special ones for a total of 60+! I guess you're not supposed to have them all at end game, but I'd think you could snag about half of them at least. Maybe that's easier and they come faster in less lovely places like Italy or the HRE?

You can speed it up a lot with the Learning focus.

I really like the way they've done focuses, it's actually hard to choose between them.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

[*]What does it mean when some of the borders on the map start glowing purple?

I think they use various different colours to show the borders of different people's holdings, could that be what you're seeing? One of them looks like an electric pink on my screen but could maybe be purple for you.

E: Oh, if you have a character's sheet open their holding may get the same effect (colour varies, but there is white border as well).

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 3, 2020

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

How can I scroll in the Dynasty tree? There is a Pan to head option, and obviously closing some branches helps you see more, but I still can't find a way to view some of my distant cousins.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Traxis posted:

Middle mouse button and drag

drat drat drat aaarggh. I have no middle mouse button.

Is there another way? I've tried all the combinations I can think of but perhaps I have missed one.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

What's the best way of making sure this doesn't implode in a hilarious pile of jarls all deciding the best time to assassinate the new king is right now?

In my game the AI seemed much more keen on factions than assassinations. Try to make sure you don't have any very powerful vassals - maybe imprison and execute now, so your heir doesn't have to. Then have your heir study diplomacy and befriending.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

How on earth do I forbid myself from leading armies

When you've raised an army you can select it and then change the commander (in window at bottom left). Command seems to be sticky, the same general will be appointed next time you raise. But you need to replace them when they get killed and make sure you appoint non-you commanders whenever you split your army, too.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

So I got the claim and won the war to get the county. Now I just do it again for the next one over? Doesn't seem like there's much else to do while waiting for the claim to come in.

Fabricating claims is more important in the very early game, you will have more casus belli as you go on. But there are also things to do besides territorial expansion. There are pilgrimages, hunts, etc in your decisions, and focus trees will open up options like seduction.

When things are slow, turn the game speed up.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone else feel the eduction traits are completely random? I can educate someone from start to finish on martial focus and on a 4 star martial expert guardian, and they'll still end up with a 2 star stewardship perk.

No, I have not seen that at all. The level varies, obviously, but the kind of education has always been right for me. I wonder if your guardians died, or something.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

fuf posted:

How cool would it be if you could bring up a screen with all your immediate family gathered around

It's not quite what you want but I'll mention it because it took me ages to notice - when you're at a feast there's a little button for it on the map, and clicking it shows all the feasters round the table.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Vichan posted:

Anyone else having an issue with navigating the family tree?

I can't, because you need to have a middle mouse button to drag with.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Are people generally playing the 1066 start or the uhhh 800-whatever start?

In CK2 I always used the earliest start, but in CK3 I have given up doing anything in NW Europe in 867 for the time being. When I've got more achievements I'll play it on easy and save scum, but in Ironman the endless combat in which you can never safely move away from your capital is too tedious.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

Seemingly no strategy goes into choosing who educates your kid, since it seems totally RNG based.

There's a perk in learning focus that improves your educational performance with wards. I think your education level matters too (but I could just have been more lucky than you).

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Corbeau posted:

Partition succession owns, the stress mechanics own. Playing different rulers feels so much more distinct compared to CK2.

I agree. But I'd like to understand the partition mechanics better - how many counties does it think are worth one fancy title? My first ruler left one county and one effectively useless duchy title each to sons 1 and 2, then three counties to lucky son 3. Son 1's single county was the capital, of course, but it was too early in the game for that to have been developed much, so he ended up with less than half the army Son 3 had. How many counties would my ruler have had to have before Son 1 got another?

I have doubts about the historical realism of this mechanic. I'd have thought real people operating partition systems would be more aware of the material and military value of landholding. But I do like the fact that it's far less easy for the player to blob than in CK2.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

My liege died and his heir is an infant. I am on his council as Marshal, despite having a martial skill of 5, presumably because my Diplo skill of 29 meant my liege knew I should be on the council, but the existing Chancellor has a hook stopping him being replaced and my liege was too stupid to get a better Marshal than me instead. Anyway, my point is that my liege died and I am now being warned that raiders are in my territory every time they attack his realm, even though they're 200 miles away from me.

Not that I don't like my liege, he's the only thing stopping my neighbours swallowing me whole, but I have one county and a martial skill of 5, mate, there's nothing I can do.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Qubee posted:

still not sure of the best way to just seize titles for myself with minimal fuss.

This is my problem in real life unfortunately

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Boot and Rally posted:

I'm having trouble selecting troops.

I also had trouble so I use the outliner now, but I still have some trouble actually making them move, I think because accidentally clicking on a settlement selects that instead. I wish it didn't when an army is selected.

I also wish the '< some religion> in <some place>' popup would let me click something on it that would show me that religion's sheet. Is it a twisted mockery of our faith or does it have good points? It's too much bother to find out.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

Also, is there a way to zoom in or out without using the mouse wheel? Mine is glitchy.

Page up/down.

fuf posted:

I sent four kids off as wards to foreign rulers with insane stats that matched the education focus, and they call came back decidedly mediocre.

I am not sure stats matter, and even if they do they're much less important than educational level and traits - always pick a four star educator if you can. If you have a learning focus you can get the pedagogy perk, making you a better tutor as well.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I really love the family's clothes. I'm going to have to play every culture just to see them all.

Not so keen on wars, but tgey could be much less painful if there were a 'follow that other army' command.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Jinnigan posted:

Is there a good start or way of playing if I just want to build out a kingdom or two and then build 'up' for the majority of the game?

North Wales has been pretty good. You have big defensive bonuses from buildings and terrain. You still have to swear fealty to your most powerful neighbour most of the time to be safe, but the bonuses from being on your liege's council make that desirable anyway.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Is there something wrong with the way the Suggestions box decides a :Realm will lose land when Vassal dies?

I'm being warned I'll lose a county that is my vassal earl's only county. He has four unlanded children, including two sons. All the children have lieges who are my vassals. The county sheet says it has high partition male preference. The relevant duchy has not been created yet. My primary title is Queen of Wales, where I have absolute crown authority and primogeniture. I am also queen of England, where the county is, and the kingdom sheet for that says inheritance will follow my primogeniture male preference law. I'm assuming the suggestion is wrong, mayby tripped up by the duchy not existing.

Meanwhile I did lose a different county that was inherited by the King of Jerusalem. I was expecting that, but the Suggestions box said nothing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

ultrachrist posted:

Is there a way I can fight on my vassal's behalf just to secure his lands?

Right click on him and offer to help with his war.