Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
the reorganise army screen needs to not snap back to the top of the list everytime you move a unit lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Is there a way to get notification when the holy order your sponsor becomes available? The drat Templars I paid for are never around when I need them and the "Holy Order Hired by XYZ" popup just exists to mock me for not having the holy order screen open all game to immediately click the one day per decade they're available to hire.

AStrangeDuelist
Nov 27, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

People talking about african sorority thunderdome haven't experienced.

African GENIUS sorority thunderdome.

I started an ironman run with Daurama. In my previous non ironman experiences the starting rival (who has great intrigue) murders you fast. so I uh... killed husband snake slayer since I had decent odds on him. I remarried to a nice genius fellow and heirs, so many heirs, everywhere. Almost all of them got genius as well

Which by the way there is a dynastic upgrade decision if you can get someone as dynastic head who is a Genius/Beauty/Herc(amazon) who has at least 1 positive level of the other two traits and no negatives. So I have made that my goal for the future.

However without being murdered early it turns out having GREAT diplomacy and then going seduction focus lets you blob fairly nice and sets for an easy reformation of the Bori faith.

How does seduction focus help?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

lol god drat my enormous african empire game continues,
i took over as a militant wisewoman i had stupidly forgotten to marry matrilineally so all her kids were the wrong dynasty and she was too old for kids. so i had to spend a while locking them all up and executing them and dealing with rebellions because of this to prevent them taking the empire. that house is now a majoy player in african politics though and they're the wrong type of african pagan!!!

after i'd put all those rebellions down though everyone was either terrified of me or in jail

that sorted succession out but my heir was now a young niece vassalised as a count by one of my successor empires and i don't know how that works if i take over as her
so i had to go crush my uncles empire of kanem-bornu which is a shame cause he was a bro and the right faith and i dont want that land

this pissed everyone off even more but the rebellions quieted down when the holy roman empire invaded me in a holy war for the african coast which is now up for grabs since my previous obese empress with the worlds largest army threw the umayyads out of morocco so hard all their african provinces disintegrated

apparently nobody in germany had been told quite who they were loving with so an elite quarter of my total forces handily owned them and the defeat was apparently so bad that the holy roman empire disbanded over it

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Stux posted:

the reorganise army screen needs to not snap back to the top of the list everytime you move a unit lol

yeah definitely. theres a couple real obvious bad points of the new UI and thats one. i hope this stuff can be fixed i worry a lot of it will be harder to fix than it looks.
especially since that reorganise army screen is incredibly, incredibly crucial and lacks all functions you'd want and like you say, doesn't quite work at its one function.
you cant even select multiple units at once as far as i know which is a very obvious basic feature.
i want to be able to setup a template like "okay divide my army thusly in terms of numbers and quality" and maybe even be able to send those template armies to diff rally points automatically!

i also really dislike that you can't sort a lot of lists. like as far as i can tell you can't sort vassals on the domain screen by religion or even see their skills

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

yeah definitely. theres a couple real obvious bad points of the new UI and thats one. i hope this stuff can be fixed i worry a lot of it will be harder to fix than it looks.
especially since that reorganise army screen is incredibly, incredibly crucial and lacks all functions you'd want and like you say, doesn't quite work at its one function.
you cant even select multiple units at once as far as i know which is a very obvious basic feature.
i want to be able to setup a template like "okay divide my army thusly in terms of numbers and quality" and maybe even be able to send those template armies to diff rally points automatically!

i also really dislike that you can't sort a lot of lists. like as far as i can tell you can't sort vassals on the domain screen by religion or even see their skills

Speaking of religion, being able to see all your vassals religion at a glance to mass demand conversion (and a mass demand conversion button) feel like incredibly obvious needed features i cant find anywhere

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Anyone else having an issue with navigating the family tree?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Just getting to do an extra hostile plot in the intrigue skill tree is cool...

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
How do you raise your armies if all your rally points are under siege... 🙁

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

BabyFur Denny posted:

How do you raise your armies if all your rally points are under siege... 🙁

set new ones or move existing ones (select the rally flag, and the button is on the bottom left corner)

assuming you have a free county somewhere you should be able to rally (contiguous counties?) there

Qubee
May 31, 2013

It's really annoying when I'm going through potential marriage matchups and it reverts to the top of the list every time I scrub a character to repick a different one.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Vichan posted:

I can't, because you need to have a middle mouse button to drag with.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Oh gods. I finally went from tribal to feudalism.

Your tribal holding improvements don’t carry over like in ck2. I wish I had known that before I spent all that gold... The emperor of Scandinavia should not be this poor. At least I had the chance to survive a crusade and then execute the pope in response before the whole financial ruin thing.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
It's somewhat likely I'm going to die with some big coffers of gold. Will my heir get the money? Will it be split among my heirs? Can I just, like, give him a load of money before I die?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

My last king was gay but...it didn't change much?

Dude still pumped out a dozen kids across two simultaneous wives (Insular Christianity). Other than one event in adolescence where he became "close friends" with the kid of a Duke that was about it, but I literally forgot about his sexuality for 50 years because of how inconsequential it was to gameplay.

Maybe there should be more stress involved if you're playing outside your sexuality like there is I'd you play outside your traits? Like he could even seduce neighboring female rulers stress-free.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Edit: Quick tip for Tanistry, if you're not the house head you should make yourself such, being the leader of your dynasty gives you a lot more voting power. If your dynasty head got passed onto one of your "primary" heirs while your titles went somewhere else, make a cadet branch and you'll reassert yourself as the most powerful house head so long as you actually are powerful (and get some free prestige on the side).

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

My last king was gay but...it didn't change much?

Dude still pumped out a dozen kids across two simultaneous wives (Insular Christianity). Other than one event in adolescence where he became "close friends" with the kid of a Duke that was about it, but I literally forgot about his sexuality for 50 years because of how inconsequential it was to gameplay.

Maybe there should be more stress involved if you're playing outside your sexuality like there is I'd you play outside your traits? Like he could even seduce neighboring female rulers stress-free.

There is a penalty to seduction schemes (plot power) if your preference doesn't match your targets, but you can do it (the AI never does so).

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 4, 2020

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I had a feast and one of my earls got drunk and decided he wanted everyone to ride my horses. But they were locked up for the night so he broke into my stables and rode out on a goat. Poor thing was crushed by his fat rear end.

Game is the GOAT.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I had a feast and I found my always angry looking wife stabbing someone in the face. Anyway, free strong hook on her.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
How does the Integrate Title action for Chancellors work? As far as I can tell it is never usable - I control all of the territory and titles for two separate non-de jure duchies as a king, but can't click the button. King of Bohemia, control all counties within both duchies of Pomeralia and Pomerania, have both ducal titles, Kingdom of Pomerania doesn't exist, can't click button, makes no sense.

Edit: only thing I can think of is you have to be independent but if that's so then the tooltip is bad and missing critical information.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 4, 2020

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I really love how the Black Plague is handled in the game. Just randomly killed my first wife, my daughter, my son, my other daughter, my second wife and a whole bunch of advisors and courtiers. They all die almost immediately, and there's no way to block it off or control it. It's fantastic (although I have to replace my entire dynasty, now)

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I've been continuing my tutorial game, and in a twist of fate that took me by surprise, my current heir is a female that won out over her brothers somehow due to Tanistry and the preference of her grandfather (and the hooks he used to force his vassals to vote her in). Now I tend to play a big slower than most, I almost never go above 3 speed and I only have so many hours to play, and I've been taking this one slow and methodical, trying out different focuses and different approaches to play, and I'm pleased to say they for the most part do feel different. My intrigue reigns were spent fabricating hooks on my electors to force them to vote my way, while my diplomatic reigns accomplished the same through sheer force of personality. I led battles personally as a martial ruler, and my stewardship leader made tons of gold and invested it into holdings which have paid off massively, making his heirs and kingdom wealthy enough to continue to build up in the ages yet to come.

Now, back to the Queen of Ireland and Wales. Her male ancestors laid the groundwork, and she took the throne at the tender age of 18. So far in her own lifetime she usurped England and Scotland and united the isles as the Empire of Alba. She is a master of Intrigue, and uses secrets both real and imaginary to extort her subjects and rivals for both favors and gold. She is both beloved and feared, with her dread frequently rising to 80-90 (mostly as the result of the "threatening letter" result for fabricate hook schemes) yet maintaining high vassal opinion. Not content to simply establish an empire, she also established her own cadet branch of her dynasty and is on the cusp of discovering the innovation required for Primo/Ultimogeniture. She's been dedicating her later years to the faith, beginning with consecrating her bloodline and ready to establish her own faith when the time is right, lots of piety saved up and the prophet perk chosen. She's already the most accomplished of my rulers, but if she doesn't die in the next few years (and she probably won't, she's temperate and is in good health while approaching 60) she's going to accomplish so much more.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Vichan posted:

It took me a minute to figure out you have to hold the middle mouse button down to move it around. I have no idea if this is related but I also have the middle mouse button enabled to lock tooltips.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Sheep posted:

How does the Integrate Title action for Chancellors work? As far as I can tell it is never usable - I control all of the territory and titles for two separate non-de jure duchies as a king, but can't click the button. King of Bohemia, control all counties within both duchies of Pomeralia and Pomerania, have both ducal titles, Kingdom of Pomerania doesn't exist, can't click button, makes no sense.

Edit: only thing I can think of is you have to be independent but if that's so then the tooltip is bad and missing critical information.

I'm not sure myself. I took the northern isles near Scotland which are de jure Scandinavia and was planning to try and integrate them into Britannia, but the option is grayed out.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Kaiju15 posted:

Oh gods. I finally went from tribal to feudalism.

Your tribal holding improvements don’t carry over like in ck2. I wish I had known that before I spent all that gold... The emperor of Scandinavia should not be this poor. At least I had the chance to survive a crusade and then execute the pope in response before the whole financial ruin thing.

Also make sure to raise and cancel levies after the switch, I got into a foolish war due to a bug where the army size counts your non-existent tribal troops after the swap.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

The only time Ive been able to use Integrate is for custom-made kingdoms created with the decision

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

KingKapalone posted:

I want to be King of Ireland and my guy has good military stats so I should probably attack my neighbors. I'm currently Fabricating a Claim on one. That's what I need to do to attack?

you need a casus belli (latin for "reason to be pissed at someone") to go to war. one such CB is that you have a claim against someone's title, or in other words, "you have something that legally could belong to me, so we're going to fight now and winner gets the title"

other CB reasons are sometimes "just because" or "you are heathens" or "you tried to stab my kid" and so on. as a catholic ruler you're pretty rule bound by law

KingKapalone posted:

How do other unification methods go? I send them gifts so they like me and then just pick the option to make them a Vassal and they maybe give in?

if you are someone's de jure lord, and they are not your vassal, then you can ask them to become a vassal. this is like "hey, by law you should bend the knee to me, but you're not doing that. so, please do that, or i'll fight you". you can force vassalage at swordpoint or by friendship or whatever, they just need to like you enough or be scared of you enough to agree

you can't ask for vassalage for people who are not your de jure vassals. you don't need to ask though, you can just force them to be your vassal by beating them up even if legally they don't need to be your vassal. and if your de jure vassal swears fealty to someone else, then you've got to beat up that someone else

KingKapalone posted:

So I got the claim and won the war to get the county. Now I just do it again for the next one over? Doesn't seem like there's much else to do while waiting for the claim to come in.

go to your council and put your councillors to work! spy on people! blackmail them! seduce the members of your court! go hunting! there's lots to do that isn't just painting the map.

KingKapalone posted:

I thought maybe I could convince the mayors that don't like the Earl to like me and not him? Not sure if that works somehow.

nah, you don't have to give a poo poo about vassals of vassals. one of the nice thing about having higher tier vassals is that all of the vassals under them are firmly their problem. so if you're a fighting king and there's a whole bunch of newly conquered assholes to deal with who are raising a fuss, you can just crown a duke and say "yeah, congrats, you're the duke of rear end in a top hat whiny land now, good luck with all your perfectly reasonable subjects" and make it someone else's problem to deal with

Unlucky7 posted:

Question about Vassals: If your current character eats it, will the vassals of the old character continue to serve the new one?

they should, if everything goes well. that's not to say they will. some ambitious and powerful vassal may see the succession as their chance to go for the throne. this is why transitions of power are exciting!

as your ruler stays on the throne, they gradually accumulate a "long reign" bonus to represent that everyone is used to the status quo. then the old king dies, the new king is an unknown factor, and maybe some independence faction figures this is their best shot

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I just caught my lovely son murdering a peasant during a hunt and one of the options let me kill him too, so now my better son is my sole heir and gets all my titles. Game is great.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ilitarist posted:

On the other hand modding music probably becomes much harder. At the moment you don't even hear "calm" tracks changing. I suppose modders should only add event music like war ballads.
It's already been done (linked to earlier in the thread) https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2218178473

Qubee posted:

It's really annoying when I'm going through potential marriage matchups and it reverts to the top of the list every time I scrub a character to repick a different one.

YES.

Verus posted:

People keep saying the UI is better, but I seriously have no idea what is supposed to be better about it. It's basically a sidegrade from CK2, and a downgrade in a lot of cases.

I wonder if the split is between people who had mastered the CK2 UI and people who never did? I couldn't play CK2, not for lack of trying, and can play CK3 after (gulp) three trips through the tutorial. There are things I can't figure out how to do that were visible parts of the old UI, but on the other hand the old UI had so drat much data that I couldn't figure out which parts were important.

Speaking of which, how the hell do I change lifestyle?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

So what was going on here?
My brother wasn't voting for himself, even though everyone else (including me) was.
Did the other guy use a hook on him?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I wonder if the split is between people who had mastered the CK2 UI and people who never did? I couldn't play CK2, not for lack of trying, and can play CK3 after (gulp) three trips through the tutorial. There are things I can't figure out how to do that were visible parts of the old UI, but on the other hand the old UI had so drat much data that I couldn't figure out which parts were important.

I have several hundred hours in CK2, and I still think CK3's UI is better. I have some gripes with it but overall it is better.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You just choose one of the colored icons at the very top of the lifestyle tree screen. There should be five, each with an icon corresponding to one of the five stats.

Tamba posted:

So what was going on here?
My brother wasn't voting for himself, even though everyone else (including me) was.
Did the other guy use a hook on him?

This happened to me too. And I think he just likes the other candidate more than he likes himself, as far as the scoring goes.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 4, 2020

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Feels like the notification system needs work. I was playing a game as Alexios Komnenos, took the imperial throne, and got a notification in the 1090s that Catholics could Crusade now. Nodded and looked away from the Eastern Mediterranean for a few years and then suddenly there was a Catholic Kingdom of Jerusalem, which presumably came about as the result of a Crusade. Was never notified about it.

Wish there were some global pop-ups for stuff like great holy wars.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

whats a flashing purple border around an area mean?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I found a naked woman in my bedroom having relations with my shoes.

One of the options is to join in.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

queeb posted:

whats a flashing purple border around an area mean?

I believe it means there's a civil war of some kind going on. Like a peasant uprising or a count vassal rebelling against their duke liege.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's already been done (linked to earlier in the thread) https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2218178473

YES.

I was initially very impressed with it because of how responsive and expansive it is, but it definitely starts showing flaws the more you play. A lot of stuff you won't even realize you are missing at first because you aren't even sure if it's in the game or not (which seems to be the majority of complaints). Honestly I'm leaning towards it mostly being a two steps forward two steps back kind of thing, but most of the flaws should be fairly easy to fix so it'll come out way ahead of the CK2 UI in the end I hope.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Can anybody tell me why this is happening?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Megasabin posted:

Has anyone in this thread experienced frequent crashing? I can't play for more than 10 minutes before I see my other monitors flicker and turn light gray and then the game crashes. Still happens even if I disable my other monitors and play on a single one. My system is easily powerful enough to play the game.

not to say that CK3 is stable or that i haven't had crash issues, but this sounds like a possible heat issue to me. how old is your video card? a game like CK3 is going to be wildly CPU heavy so it could be that your entire machine is overheating

Charlz Guybon posted:

Syphilis didn't exist in Europe until the Colombian exchange though?

iirc great pox is not syphilis, but something else

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

It's somewhat likely I'm going to die with some big coffers of gold. Will my heir get the money? Will it be split among my heirs? Can I just, like, give him a load of money before I die?

yes, the gold will be in your treasury and passed to the heir of your primary title

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

anyone given any thoguhts to the best tenets and stuff when reforming?

i'm thinking carnal exultation, warmonger, islamic syncretism for my african religion with unrestricted inheritance and no penalty for adultery etc

are there any better ones for stability?

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

luxury handset posted:

nah, you don't have to give a poo poo about vassals of vassals. one of the nice thing about having higher tier vassals is that all of the vassals under them are firmly their problem. so if you're a fighting king and there's a whole bunch of newly conquered assholes to deal with who are raising a fuss, you can just crown a duke and say "yeah, congrats, you're the duke of rear end in a top hat whiny land now, good luck with all your perfectly reasonable subjects" and make it someone else's problem to deal with

Crusader Kings 3: congrats, you're the duke of rear end in a top hat whiny land now, good luck with all your perfectly reasonable subjects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Excelzior posted:

The only time Ive been able to use Integrate is for custom-made kingdoms created with the decision

I'm currently using Integrate to try and drift Cornwall into (independent) Brittany in my game, and it SEEMS to be working/helping but it'll take 40 more years for me to know for sure.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

As someone who had insane amounts of modded music for CK2, the thing that the new system makes harder about music modding is mostly that there's limited control over when something plays - you either have a massive pool of "ambient" music that can be picked at any time or place and so would ideally be relatively unobtrusive, or you have ONE song per event cue, so you can't, say, add a selection of 10 Mad Epic songs to cue when you declare war or get into combat, you have to have that one specific one and either a mod has to replace it, or has to modify the events/CBs that call it (which is messy for compatibbility).

I like the OST and I like the bones of the system but I'm hoping it gets work.

(also bring back the horrifying death screams please and thank you, mass execution is weirdly boring in this one)

quote:

I had 3000 hours in CK2 and like to think I mastered the UI (on the other hand, there's a combat detail screen in the old game that I literally discovered three days ago soooo....). I think the new system is an upgrade but maybbe not as unambiguously as it felt on day 1. Doesn't help that the colour choices mean that stuff like the education button or the title history button doesn't stand out. Also the fine-grained notification and pause controls were really handy - like it would be great if we could somehow keep the tab-button Issues stuff but select some of them to get popups or some way to really grab hold of your attention.

Also I KINDA miss the ledger even though I know I barely looked at it before. Just having the option, you know?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 4, 2020