Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Picked this up over the weekend and have been enjoying learning the new systems and interface (coming from ck2)

A few noob questions:
- what should I be aiming for with my vassal contracts? Do I just want to set them to scutage and as much taxes as I can?
- dread: not sure I grok the importance of this or how to gain it
- innovations to target early on, especially as cultural head with fascination (is it worth dipping into learning for scientific as a tribal trying to feudalize?) [my first non-Ireland game is in Poland — I’m on my second ruler (grandchild of the first) at around 915 and am desperately trying to get to empire size before confederate partition shatters the three kingdom titles I’m holding — I converted to Catholicism as well, which seems like a nice source of gold from the Pope) — I’m blocked by needing 70% of tribal innovations]
- tips for what my councilors should be doing — if I need control in counties that are owned by a vassal, should I be doing that? Pumping development in my capital (if not capped)? Elsewhere in my domain? Or should I be converting to my culture? Should I be focusing on converting counties with my chaplain (it’s very slow, like 6 years)? Not really sure what to do with my Spymaster — tried find secrets and golden obligations as my first ruler but seemed disappointing, folks usually didn’t have money
- any other tips and advice — PittTheElder’s posts up thread on lifestyle, legacy, and MaA were pure gold — thank you! (should I opt for Konni with their high pursuit over Armored Footmen? Sounds like no?)

alcaras fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
More noob questions (thank you for the answers!):

- Raiding. Worth it while I'm a tribal? I read on the wiki https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Warfare#Raiding that I can get development from pillaging feudal/clan county capitals if my ruler is leading the raid. Is this worth the effort to ramp development to 15 in my capital?

I've tried raiding a few times and the interface seems a bit confusing -- I move over territories with raiding on and with little torches on them but nothing seems to happen? How do I know where I can go raid and how much I'll make? The few times I've gotten it to work it's been like ... 20 gold ... which doesn't seem worth it at all, especially since I'd rather go to war and conquer new lands than raid. Maybe I'm missing something though? Or I should raid when I can't expand b/c I'm waiting on truces?

alcaras fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 13, 2021

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Thanks! Should I be raiding pagans? Christians? Anyone?

I didn't realize the torches were indicative of what was already raided ... thought it was what could be raided. Makes sense while moving there never seemed to let me raid! :blush:

Related question re: supply -- if my raiders are too big to fit in one army, but events only occur if my liege is leading the army ... should I:

1. Merge the armies and eat attrition from being over supply (seems like a bad idea?)
2. Micro manage the armies to move together / raid together and just only get events from one army (but can dogpile if we get attacked)
3. Only take the army with my leader and leave the others at home / disbanded

Relatedly, it seems like I can avoid supply based attrition if I siege down territories and slowroll across a map? Thought that doesn't seem to work for raiding? I presume I don't lose 5% of my raiding army for "moving into a hostile County that only borders other hostile Counties instantly causes the army to lose 5% of their troops"
https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Army#Supply_limit

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Oh no, creating a Custom Empire instead of forming Southern Baltic Empire means that now, once I've conquered enough land to form SBE on its own... Forced Partition means my second son will create and own the remnants of the Southern Baltic Empire outside the Custom Empire I created.

Creating SBE and making it primary and then destroying the Custom Empire title to see if that'll work. I shouldn't have created it in the first place... Yeah nope, I still see the decision to create the Custom Empire which means it'll get re-created with Forced Partition. ugh.

Fortunately(?) my first son died so now my second son is the heir, so it's a race to swap from Forced Partition to Partition before then (and only have one Empire title). Which means I need to go feudal... learning those innovations ASAP! Or maybe if I "United the West Slavs" that'll get me two innovations and set all kingdoms to the primary title... maybe that'll work?

E: unite the west Slavs made all my kingdoms de jure under my primary title. SBE still exists but has no land associated with it. Seems harmless. And finally converted to feudal from tribal!

alcaras fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 14, 2021

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Ok, so I just swapped to Feudal. It's about 990 AD.

How do I make money? I was swimming in cash as a Tribal and now I am not.

Going to war just drains my coffers -- had a failed Holy War against Hungary and am now 4500 gold in debt, for example.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

PittTheElder posted:

Where's your money going? I try to avoid having army related deficits by fielding smaller armies, plus there's a lot of good discounts to be had in the lifestyle trees.

I have 6x 5/5 MaA regiments. Maybe I should cut those back? They came over from Tribal, when they just cost prestige.

And raised (with 5x 5/5 MaA):

Should I be tuning to be breaking even when they're raised?

alcaras fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 14, 2021

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

PittTheElder posted:

Probably not when you have them raised, not right off the bat anyway.

Your problem is that you're not making any money from your domain, presumably because they have no buildings. Did you do the upgrades in your holdings while tribal? Start constructing fields my man.

e: well I guess you can't because you are 66 years in the hole. Not much to do at that point; use Sell Minor Titles, Extort Subjects, and Ask Head of Faith for Money as much as you can, max your dread and assign your Marshal to Train Commanders for the MaA discount, and pray for death.

e2: what MaA regiments are they?

I didn't do too many upgrades as tribal because I thought tribal->feudal destroyed buildings? Or maybe it only destroys the tribal specific building? Not sure how to interpret "All buildings are lost if the Tribe is converted into a Castle holding." from the wiki: https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Building Maybe that only applies to "Tribe buildings"? Good to know for future Tribal->Feudal changes

MaA was 3x Konni / 3x Armored Foot.

I'm now an heir or two later and have stabilized -- but yeah I need to build up my buildings from my domain. That's this heir's project

What's the Train Commanders / MaA discount?

alcaras fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 15, 2021

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

eleven extra elephants posted:

If you have your Marshal train commanders (second option) you pay less per month for MaA while he's doing it, I think it's 20% off?

Ah, the Wiki thinks it's 5% + 1% per skill https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Council Thanks though, didn't realize it did that. I usually have it on train commanders unless something in my domain needs control.

In general, what should my Councilors be doing?

I've generally:
Spouse - Assist Ruler unless I need something specific
Chaplain - Convert if something in my domain is not my religion, else Religious Relations. Generally don't need to Fabricate Claims
Chancellor - Domestic Affairs early in reign, Foreign Affairs later. I don't really understand what Integrate Title does
Steward - Culture if something in my domain is not my culture, else Increase Development until my domain is at development max for tech, then I guess Collect taxes?
Marshal - Increase Control if something in my domain lacks Control, else Train Commanders. Generally never on Organize Levies.
Spymaster - Just on Disrupt Schemes. I don't generally go Intrigue on my rulers so don't find the other two very useful. In theory Find Secrets with Truth is Relative + Golden Obligations could be good, but I just never take Intrigue lifestyles.

alcaras fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 15, 2021

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Minor question: My ruler's father was deposed in a war. However, until he died, he remained the head of the dynasty, despite having no troops. Is this supposed to happen?

As he was AI controlled he picked Blood4 ... is there a way for me to find out which trait he decided to boost?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Not sure I'm following -- how could one be using "too many levies?" Or do you mean in the proportionate sense -- i.e. not using enough MaA? Or do you mean I shouldn't raise all my levies for every war but should fight with _just_ MaA?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Thank you! And what’s the best way to raise just my MaA and some levies? The raise “local levies” button?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Would it be worth revising vassal contracts to reduce levies (and increase taxes)?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Is there an easy way to apportion land / create duchies after a Holy War?

Having to go through manually county by county and find a content person who isn't an heir to something is a pain ('Not Ruler' doesn't filter out heirs, and 'Unlanded' somehow filters out... everyone?)

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Ah that makes sense; thank you!

Is there a way to filter to people who aren't heirs to titles? I guess 'Not Ruler' and 'No Claims' works.

alcaras fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 20, 2021

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Any tips for succession management?

Last few successions I've had very early wars immediately upon inheriting -- usually a Liberty war, an Independence War, and a peasant rebellion.

Is there a way to avoid these more easily? I feel like I'm always on the backfoot since the rebellions are ticking up as soon as I inherit.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Thanks.

PittTheElder posted:

Peasant Rebellions are largely random (and also easy to defeat, especially if there's a civil war raging that will wipe their armies for you) those are best ignored. Popular Opinion is what drives it if you want to look into it, but the main thing is don't do long Offensive Wars.

Hrm, my previous ruler chained offensive wars as I tried to clean up some border gore (usually wars of my empire against a county or a duchy). Had a pretty high Offensive War modifier. Not sure what I can do to better gobble up territory while managing that.

Re: Alliances -- how do alliances go across generations? They don't seem to? e.g. if my king marries off his daughters and secures alliances, the heir ... won't have those alliances, right?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Yeah, I think I had one drawn out offensive war that stacked up a big malus (it was early in my reign and had rebellions spawn during it and I didn't want to White Peace out and...). Learned not to try to offensive wars early in a reign :)

It does take forever to raise and lower troops for each small war though, I wish there were a way I could just raise a few troops instead of all.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Good news: I've gotten my dynasty to take over Byzantium!

Bad news: I'm no longer dynasty head because the Byzantine Emperor is. :-/

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Befriend seems brokenly strong. Just Befriend your councillors and Befriend your powerful vassals and uh, well, no rebellions!

Now that my empire is enormous (it's about 1250 AD, tempted to try forming Slavia though it'll involve a slugfest with the Byzantines for the parts of Slavia they own), I tend to open ruler Lifestyle trees like so:

Diplo (Foreign Affairs for +3 Diplomacy) -- I don't find I need the Fertility or Prestige from the other options
Spend about 5 years here, enough to pick up:
Befriend, Groomed to Rule, Confidants, Flatterer

I don't find the rest of the tree or anything else in Diplo worth picking up. (Though maybe Forced Vassalage in the Diplomacy tree casus belli is worth it? Not sure what's eligible to be Vassalized though -- would it enable me to war on various neighboring Kingdoms and have them become my vassals, or do they need to be de jure land for that to work? Or is it anyone to whom I can offer vassalage (almost no one is able to accept, sadly)?)

I get Diplo early so as to stabilize the succession -- Befriending Powerful Vassals is huge.

Here there's a choice:
I'm fine financially and don't need to build buildings.

If I'm fighting wars against equal power enemies (this doesn't seem to be the case in the late game, when I'm just much more powerful and can hire mercs, but early game this is very strong):

Martial, picking Chivalry for the +5 Advantage.
Then basically fill out the (very good) Strategist tree.
Pick up the right side of Gallant down to +4 Knights.

If I need money:
Stewardship (picking Wealth) down to Avaricious.

If I want to build (can cheese with the Lifestyle once-a-lifetime reset):
Stewardship (picking Wealth) down to Architect.

Lastly I sometimes pick up Scholar's right side (down to Scholarly Circles, and sometimes picking up Pedagogy) if I want to push along Cultural Fascinations.

Lately I've just been educating heirs in Stewardship then opening with Diplo into Architect (I'm sitting on like 10k gold while constantly building buildings and going to war, so I figure I don't need Avaracious at the moment). Once they finish Architect I dabble into Scholarship.

Anything I'm missing Lifestyle wise?

Dynasty-wise I'm done with Blood + Martial and picked up Kin2. Not sure where to go next. Nothing seems particularly attractive of useful if my goal is to form Slavia.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

zonohedron posted:

It's harder to befriend people if you already have a lot of friends, or if they don't like you much; and eventually the game will make you have to choose between your friends. Befriend isn't like "guy I talk to on discord a few times a week", it's like "dude I would totally help move, or help move bodies"

It was pretty jarring when my Best Friend, the Byzantine Emperor, declared war on me for Sweden (he had a claim). The message started with "My dear friend..."

(We white peaced out after he ran his 40k stack into my 20k stack that was sitting on a mountain province and remained besties).

--

Speaking of stacks ... how do folks manage attrition from going over the supply limit? My "strategy" right now is to raise everything, ctrl-click when it I see MaA are raised (there's usually a discontinuity / big jump when this happens, not sure exactly when this is but I go from 5k to 20k and that's usually it, so that I don't have to go to the fully 40). Then I right click on their capital, taking attrition as I go (since I'm going beyond sieged land). But usually sieging their capital is well worth it.

Questions:
- Should I be doing this? Or is the "proper way" to play micromanaging individual stacks and slowly carpet sieging (this seems horribly tedious to do)
- Should I be grouping my army into one army (instead of the 6-7 it starts out with) controlled by my best general?

alcaras fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 23, 2021

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Dumb question: How do I press claims of a guest to my court?

My understanding:
1. Recruit them
2. Land them (?)
3. Press claim

I am trying to expand into the steppe and noticed a woman was a guest who had an unpressed claim on a duchy I wanted.

I recruited her to my court -- but when I went to declare war on the ruler of that Duchy, didn't see a CB option.

I conquered a different, neighboring county, and tried to land her -- except I'm Catholic and can't land women.

What am I missing here?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Thanks! Any tips for recruiting claimants to my court? All of the others rejected my invitations, even if I sent a gift.

(As an aside, Diplo’s Forced Vassalage CB is convenient for gobbling smaller duchies/kingdoms in the late game)

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Turns out if you make your own religion (with spiritual leaders, appointed by the temporal ruler) and then make your heir your court chaplain ... it removes your heir and all his children from the line of succession. Fortunately my character survived the ten years needed to remove the heir from being chaplain, but he didn’t go back into the line of succession (even if I designated him heir) until I made him court physician. Weird. (I guess that pulled him back into the temporal realm),

Separately, would be curious to hear folks’ thoughts on Religious tenets and doctrines. Which are ones y’all would recommend picking up?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Thanks! I ended up going with Alexandrian Catechism / Escotericism / Pursuit of Power, along with Equal / Righteous / Theocratic. I mended the schism (and am about to reform the Roman Empire) so I'd say this first 867 Ironman playthrough is wrapping up well:

Dumb Q: In the char designer there's no way to configure your own dynasty shield right? You just have to keep randoming?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Is there a way (or good mods for) vassal contract management en masse?

Getting tired of some random duke catapulting themselves on the council because of a weak hook on my heir as soon they inherit and want to be able to review all vassal contracts (and ideally standardize them on Scutage / Forced Partition with high taxes and low levies). This might be a pain point just because I'm a massive Empire at this point in the game.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Similar boat / different question -- I started a Norse game and am currently trying to form North Sea (almost have all the land).

I have Norway/Sweden/Denmark all on Scandinavian Elective -- right now my brother is the top vote getter, not my preferred heir. But that's fine I guess? I haven't usurped England yet -- I assume I'll be able to make it Scandinavian Elective too once I do?

Q: When should I form North Sea? As soon as I can? Should I form a custom empire at the same time so I can have two top tier titles and try to use Scandinavian Elective for both? (I'm trying to use the multiple elective titles approach outlined in this post from a while back)

Separately, once I form I plan to try to grow tall as the North Sea and not expand further (got my WC kicks by forming a huge Roman Empire last game, and don't want to do that again). Any tips or advice for things to focus on when trying to grow tall?

Thus far this Norse game has been pretty fun -- managed to defeat a Crusade for England that triggered almost immediately after I conquered England.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Oof, my kingdoms split because my 66 year old decided to keel over. My heir has Norway/Denmark but doesn't have Swedengland (not the heir I wanted, I was trying to get my genius/beautiful 13 year old daughter onto the throne, which might have been a bridge too far). And still had a high Tyranny bonus from breaking up a super duke (he had four dukedoms! four!).

I guess I didn't do Scandinavian Elective properly -- I suppose keeping the titles unified and within my dynasty is a priority over getting Just the Right Heir.

Now to put the pieces back together...

Dumb q: If I have a truce with someone after a war, I can't raid them, right? It doesn't seem to say this anywhere, I had raiders on holdings and nothing was happening which was confusing to me :-/ But I think it would have had to have been truce?

Separately, I think I'm going to not take the Blood Lineage in games going forward unless I'm minmaxing -- it's way too strong. By the end of my last game I had everyone in my dynasty be Genius/Beautiful/Herculean which was a bit insane.

alcaras fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 28, 2021

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

PittTheElder posted:

One thing you should consider with true super dukes is to imprison and banish them. Assuming they have multiple valid heirs for that land to partition things, it'll get the job done with much less tyranny to deal with.

Thank you for the suggestion!

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Oops, forming North Sea requires you to not have another Empire title... so forming a custom empire... was a mistake. Will have to attempt it another game. Suggestions on a good starting spot for it? I started from Gotland last game (I like single county starts -- you can't Ruler Designer a ruler who is a vassal at the start of the game, can you?)

Not sure I'm a fan of Scandinavian Elective, at least for the kingdoms -- way too erratic as to who the heir will be, and keeping 3 kingdoms voting for the same dude was a huge pita.

Perhaps it's better for holding 2 duchy titles in the early game? Or I'm misunderstanding how to use it to avoid Forced Partition.

alcaras fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 29, 2021

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Thanks, I'm trying to manage the four elective kingdoms I have (England, Denmark, Sweden, Norway) -- I have an Empire title as well, but it looks like the elective kingdoms will take away my two duchies _and_ all their counties -- is there a way I can actually inherit something _apart from the empire title_ if I don't win any elective elections?

(Do I need to set the duchy I want to inherit to elective? Remove elective on a kingdom (which one?))

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Thanks -- the duchies aren't elective. Need prestige to either add elective there and/or remove it from the kingdom titles. Probably should try to keep two duchies in the same kingdom in future. I was trying to RP a "eastern residence" in Denmark and "western residence" in England. :p

I am kind of curious as to what'll happen if I inherit as Emperor in name only. Might be fun to try and see what insanity ensues.

Starting to think celibacy / disinheriting is a much more reliable approach to heir selection, especially for when I want to try hold 3 kingdoms for the North Sea next game.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Fun trip report:

Trying to get the North Sea empire formed. Started a new game, starting at Oslo. Had one daughter, my spouse got murdered, decided to not have any more kids. That daughter inherits, forms Norway, and Denmark. She has one son (Embraced Celibacy afterward to manage inheritance). Marries him to princess from Brittany. They have one kid, then the son dies at 19 in a battle in a war that Brittany had called me in as an ally. So I'm left with my queen of Norway/Denmark and her infant grandson.

I invade England (which is shattered into a variety of duchies). Conquer that, form England. Almost have all the territory for North Sea, just waiting for Truces for a 3 county count that has 3 disjoint counties completely spread out. My Queen of Norway/Denmark/England dies at long last, the grandson (who is now 17) inherits. I betrothed him to the only Intelligent woman available to marry, but she's 12.

Consolidating my rule, declare war on the last disjoint counties to lock in the North Sea territory. Married his betrothed as she comes of age.

And then my ruler, last of his dynasty, gets bubonic plague and dies in a few months. No children.

End of Game.

Welp.

Q: Schemes

The princess from Brittany I married was ... fourth in the line of succession. I assume it's unlikely to be able to Murder Scheme my way to having the infant grandson be the joint heir for both realms, right? I was seeing like 20% success chance and 8 year duration for each scheme... of course my character was not Intrigue focused, how much better does the Intrigue lifestyles / approach make this?

Q: Good capitals for the North Sea Empire attempt?

I guess Sjaelland is probably the best? Trying to figure out something that works well across England/Denmark/Norway.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Hurrah for raise only MaA (and for, that matter, character search filters!)

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

PittTheElder posted:

So courts are apparently only for King and Emperor tier which is pretty lame, unless I as a duke or count can visit the court of my liege or his liege.

Did they release more details on Royal Court anywhere?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Thanks!

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

quote:

the free patch coming alongside Royal Court is reworking CK3's entire culture system. Similarly to how religions are constructed in the base game, cultures will now consist of an Ethos, Traditions, and Pillars. Your Ethos, such as bellicose or spiritual, will define the overall theme. Traditions, of which each culture can have up to six, are special bonuses like being better at farming in harsh terrain or allowing women to fight as knights. Pillars define things like what kind of clothing your culture wears, as well as their Heritage, such as Latin, which replaces the old concept of Culture Groups.

Owners of the DLC will get further opportunities to play with this system. You'll be able to create divergent cultures, spending prestige to mix up all of the above traits and give your new culture a custom name and map culture. Or if you prefer, a foreign ruler in a far-flung land can create a hybrid culture between their own and that of the people they now rule, like Greco-Norse, Indo-Mongol, or maybe some more historically-grounded ones like Norman. This will allow you to combine traits of your old culture and the new one, so you could raid the Indus with viking warrior monks.

All this sounds great!

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Just had an empire fall apart thanks to mucking around with elective. Amusingly, ended up accidentally getting Dynasty of Many Crowns from the fallout (kind of fun watching everything shatter, and since I retain my retinues, can be pretty powerful for the few years before I run out of money).

That said, am curious as to the proper pre-Primogeniture kingdom and empire inheritance management strategy. Is it possible to hold _two_ duchies before Primogeniture?

My original plan:
Only one "top tier title" (e.g. one kingdom or one empire). Make sure to be on Partition, not Confederate Partition -- don't want the new titles to be created.

This worked well but would result in some of the counties within my demense being given away unless I managed to conquer sufficient additional land to give to kids. And I could never hold more than one duchy through succession.

This got harder as I went up to emperor as now I needed to conquer _additional kingdoms_ to give away to kids to avoid getting my demense split. And having to conquer again each generation. Kingdoms aren't that easy to come by.

I am aware that elective succession is weird in that if you have at least two elective succession titles, you inherit _everything_ underneath your primary title -- it's somehow protected from partition. I don't really understand what's going on here or why it's protected though.

In any case, I fatefully created an additional empire title (Francia) and set it and my original empire title (Valois, a custom empire -- speaking of which, are custom empires a trap choice? you basically can't diplovassalize into them, right? since they have no de jure land outside what you create the empire with) to elective. But, with my Empress at 79 and fighting a crusade and a peasant rebellion, I got the dreaded "Primary Heir not of your Dynasty" message. It's hard to manage elective across two pretty big empires -- and since I had been on one empire (Valois) for most of the game, there were 8 electors on my primary title that I could not get to agree. I hadn't done any groundwork in getting hooks on them beforehand either. It feels like juggling multiple empires on elective is ... a challenge.

Long story short, I tried changing my primary empire (to Francia), destroying my original empire (Valois), creating another empire title (Germania), and then realizing, to my horror, that you can't add Elective to an empire title if you're war. Furiously put down the peasant rebellion (finding where the peasant rebellion leader is and trying to capture him by stack wiping him seems to work really well) and had the defensive crusade at 99% only to have the Empress die with one empire on elective and the other on partition and ... myself getting the smaller empire:

Francia and Germania were all one empire once

I did end up losing my entire building-upgraded duchy (Duchy of Valois, which I guess went to Germania since it was de jure part of the Valois custom empire 'cept I had destoryed that... I thought it would have gone to Francia not sure why it went to Germania instead) but kept my retinue and had a small pile of gold. I quickly reconquered my duchy before running out of money and am now attempting to stabilize, but I'm down to one empire title that's set to elective, and am down to one duchy with all my counties. If my current 8 yo girl survives and has more than one kid, I'm going to run into partition issues again.

I love how Ironman CK3 just generates these amazing stories and how losing is fun :)

(Note to self: swapping to Equal succession via religion before Primogeniture just makes Partition so much worse)

(Also learned that founding a second religion to slightly change some tenets [and try out no head of faith for extra temple $$, as outlined in this reddit post (not sure if still current, since it's a year old, but it did seem like it boosted my income significantly)] after founding one originally and having mended the great schism with the first religion... means that your new religion is now crusade-able by your old religion)

(Another fun thing I learned was when you conquer Iberia and hybridize with Andalusian to become Iberian... you get an option to form Portugal which swaps you to Portugese culture, but it only has 3 traditions :-/ had to slowly hybridize back -- am now Greco-Portugese and waiting for the 50 year hybrid cooldown to hybridize with my Andalusian-Norse-Frankish culture. Feels like the powergamey play is to hybridize, and while waiting for the 50 years to hybridize again, reform once or twice, replacing or adding in a tenet or changing the Martial custom to Equal)

What am I missing in terms of how to hold together a core set of counties in a primary duchy (and maybe a second duchy) when dealing with the Kingdom / Empire level before Primogeniture is available?

Here's the current state of the world (I control the duchy of Valois in Francia, which is just southeast of the Valois in France, which I think is the old custom kingdom I originally created long ago that I guess split off from Germania as things shattered), bordergore content warning:

alcaras fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 18, 2022

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, take your first duchy, own all the counties in it, and slap some sort of elective on it. Since that now has a seperate succession law, your Primary heir should pick up the second duchy as their first allotted duchy level title.

Putting elective on the second one also works.

Does that still work if you have a higher title (King / Emperor)?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Thanks -- so basically put elective on the two duchies you want to keep.

e.g. Is this right?

I own Duchy A and Duchy B. Both are elective. I also own Empire A and Kingdom A. Both of those are Partition.

At inheritance, so long as my primary heir (or designatedheir , under absolute crown authority) is the winning candidate for Duchy A and Duchy B, my heir get Duchy A, with all its counties, Duchy B, also with all its counties, and Empire A, and Kingdom A. Everything apart from that will be partitioned out to everyone else.

I think my mistake then was trying elective at the Kingdom or Empire level, where it's way harder to control, unlike duchies where you can simply own every county.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

THE BAR posted:

I also seem to remember them showing us, that you could rebuild or modify your court, or at least rooms connected to it, ending up with a maze people could get lost in or whatever. So far it's been nothing but extremely minor court events, and I've sort of stopped paying attention to them for mostly wasting my time.

There’s a “Exocitize” decision but it didn’t seem to do anything visually.