Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Eimi posted:

Despite the lack of societies and artifacts, I look forward to once more making the world pagan and woman lead, this time with the added bonuses of gay.

IIRC devs said something about game options allowing for tolerance in gender roles as well as sexuality. Imperator Rome had similar rule. So it might be easier than you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I'd also want to remind you all that CK2 is free. You'll be missing a lot of DLC features and especially DLC portraits but it's still an amazing experience on its own. So go try it while you wait for CK3.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Torrannor posted:

Since the game isn't out yet, we can't tell for sure which starts will be newbie friendly. But look at this stream highlight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyxjYtoFDSE&t=14s

The game will suggest various easier and harder starts to you, several for each region and start date.

I really like EU4 starting screen describing country and region-specific situations. Some other modern grand strategy games like Fields of Glory Empires have similar features. Of course, it's very generic for many countries but it's still cool. Now that CK3 has only pre-defined start dates I hope they make more characters with descriptions and suggestions.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

In CK2 pagans felt like a tutorial faction. They're strong and expand easily, they don't have a future but also few limiting factors. The earliest start date has Minsk Duchy (200 years before first mention of the city of Minsk but oh well) which is where I live. I suspect it'd be pagan, so I'll try that. Also lets me instantly see if they really went and made all the regions equally interesting instead of making everyone "like Western European Catholic BUT with some quirks".

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

This is what your preorders are financing

https://twitter.com/sukebandeka/status/1297857393599053824

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I fully expect CK2 to get sort of Victoria 2 status. Let's be honest, the game is a mess with a lot of disjointed unbalanced mechanics and UI that has a lot of troubles holding it all together. CK3 looks like a slick game. It probably won't have as much broken stuff or obvious choices. It will probably have less of everything but the choices are more meaningful - you can already see it with personality traits (AFAIK 3 is not-so-soft limit), number of available buildings, size of court and so on and so on.

In several years true fans would talk about them inviting 24 martial dude on day 1, how the Devil helped you make Byzantine Emperor your pleasure slave, and how you were able to turn yourself into a Varangian horse, funniest poo poo I've ever seen. CK is a story generator so it makes sense to praise it for interesting stories even if gameplay is broken, but I think Paradox overestimates how much people care about balance and gameplay. Players like Florryworry - mechanics-focused players - like Imperator Rome cause mechanics are quite interesting. Many players hated it because it lacked the mythical content, it felt much more like a Risk game were sides don't have a story behind them.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Oh dear me posted:

I think most game devs do, as shown by the popularity of cheats, mods giving godlike armour/weapons, etc.

Yeah, probably. They say pro-gamers killed Real-Time Strategy cause devs only saw people on forums and listened to them. And people on forums wanted high skill ceiling, balance, variety, focus on multiplayer. Meanwhile most of casual RTS players wanted some cool campaigns and turtled against AI. Many RTS ditched single-player campaigns altogether and made turtling hopeless because you can't have a good MP scene if turtling is a reliable strategy.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

orangelex44 posted:

I suppose, but the Crusades are literally what the game is named after. It's silly to have four or five achievements about the Reconquista, but none that relate to the most important historical events (or perhaps most wide-ranging in effect, at least) within this era. Hell, they have multiple achievements celebrating incest, which is illegal in much of the world.

On the other hand, achievements are supposed to be about bragging rights or to highlight something fun people might do. You don't need crusading achievements exactly because it's in the name. It's assumed people won't need achievements to do crusades.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

orangelex44 posted:

There's achievements for a ton of things that people will do just by playing the game. There's literally one for just playing to the last year! There's another one for just going up in rank (count->duke or whatever).

Yes, I've mentioned them as "something fun people might do". Achievement lists often work as feature advertisement. You can quickly see that this game has inbreeding, spouse murdering, faith construction, and so on. Even Crusades achievement is there to highlight that there are great holy wars apart from Crusades.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

1.1 will probably hit shortly after release. I think I saw dev saying that 1.0 was finished before their vacations, so August was spent on the first patch.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Anno posted:

Yeah I just finished watching this. It's pretty great. And since it's long and focuses on a short time period it's basically just an episode of a normal LP.

That's exactly what you need from a preview video. OP Bavarian has published a video that looks more like a challenge run. ManyATrueNerd is an entertaining youtuber but his video was about the game reacting to dumb roleplaying he's known for - again, something that is fine to watch when you actually know the game.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Kyle Hyde posted:

:same: despite trying to temper my expectations. I'm excited for the music; what I've heard of it in various videos has been good. The music always really set the mood for me in CK2, so I'm hoping for a strong showing this time too.

Three Moves Ahead podcast talked about the music a lot. It's very different from previous Paradox music where you just had a movie-style score playing in the background. Here the music is more ambient and subtle but deeply connected to what you see on the screen. Special event music is what you hear a lot, I understand.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I'm really looking for casual chill potential of CK3.

Usually I'm all for deep and complex strategy games or RPGs. But last month was tough one (I got twins, my country Belarus got a revolution with dead people on my street) and now I just want to chill the gently caress up. So my library of cool intellectual games doesn't really work for me now. I'm walking around in Assassin's Creed Odyssey and get really tired of trying to have fun from anything more complex.

So fellow lovers of needlessly complex
games, do you have any casual recommendations of any genre to pass the time while we're waiting for the release of CK3?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

bees everywhere posted:

edit: If you do try it out, you should use a mod that increases XP gain, unless you don't mind getting your rear end kicked over and over again (which is normal in this game and not always a bad thing since it makes you come out stronger).

Thanks for the tip! Small scale real-time with pause games seem to be working fine.

Eimi posted:

I dunno if this is an option but I get on comms and play civ6 with a friend. We'll both be teamed up so it's not like we're in danger of losing but it's just fun to spread out and expand and dick around with someone else there.

Civ6 on lower difficulty might be fine too, yeah.

Thanks!

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Torrannor posted:

But I think there's cause for optimism. The streamers are forbidden from releasing their reviews, but they're snatching in bits here and there.

Streamers I've watched were happy with Imperator Rome. Florryworry called it the only game that is close to EU4 in terms of goodness,

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Torrannor posted:

I didn't know that, thank you. I didn't follow Imperator: Rome at all. But we can all test how good the game is in less than a week :)

I'm not trying to say CK3 doesn't look great. It does. I'm hyped. It's just that pre-release streamers are not a great indicator of the quality.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Gamerofthegame posted:

stellaris is a pretty bad 4X but there's very few good 4Xs so what can you do

You might say there are no good 4X cause the whole industry seems stuck trying to modernize Master of Orion 2. Which is remembered fondly partly cause we didn't care about UI and balance and having a race of greedy nosy gnomes one of which is called Zog.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

fuf posted:

Nah man come on, don't fall for this. These videos were totally different from the from the videos they would have made if they'd just been allowed to stream as normal. None of them said anything good or bad about it at all. They didn't even really talk about mechanics. Instead we got some amateur dramatics vignettes. Which is fine but definitely a very different thing.

The only one who talked about mechanics was The Spiffing Brit and exploits are his thing so he probably got a special deal. It's safe to assume exploit that he abused will be fixed before or shortly after release and it was there for amusement, not to show the game as imbalanced.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Guest posted:

Trying to pin down what actually happened with that exploit where he was able to farm money/prestige by constantly divorcing and remarrying. I remember alimony being a thing in CK2. Did they get rid of it or did female rulers never have to pay it?

I think in CK2 pope likes you less each time you ask for things like that?.. Maybe there should be some sort of cool down on divorce. Also maybe you can't marry a person while "divorced me" opinion is on.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Is the size of the fig leaf decided by your genes?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Honestly the silly videos with crowns and poo poo just aren't meant for us information starved CK2 veterans who are already going to buy it.

If it's not meant for me it has no reason to exist.

Anyway freeform gameplay videos and streams are dropping in 7 hours.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Finally we have our answer.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Started as my homeland, Minsk, in 867.

The Slavic religion is very much oriented for having a grand Slavic union that doesn't expand beyond its lands. All Slavic people like each other more, especially vassals, you culture convert counties of your religion faster and you religion convert counties of your culture faster. But you get a penalty on converting anything of wrong religion and/or culture. My starting character Ruslan Ruslanovich is unremarkable and he starts with that Stewardship/Duty focus which feels lost on tribals. My vassals like me, I guess, but court politics is limited for Tribals. It feels like this start is distinct from other, even neighbors.

All the rulers feel more active than I remember from CK2. I also like that some diplomatic focus may allow rulers to just plainly ask for an alliance as if they're in EU4. Raiding is brutal and leads to rivalry. Belarus is all forests so Slavic Bowmen FTW. Buildings are more interesting than they used to be: it's no longer just a single stat upgrade. Palisade helps with defense obviously, but also with archers, so I'm turning everything into a palisade country.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

fuf posted:

* You can ransom prisoners (I discovered the prisoners tab and realised I had like 10 children in my dungeon, sorry kids)
* You can pick an educational focus (seems like it picks one automatically based on childhood traits which is sensible)

It told me about the prisoners. But the educational focus suggestion is needed indeed.

I'd also prefer if "you have allies who will join your defensive war" to be an alert instead of a suggestion. From what I can see you don't lose anything from calling them.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Open Layer posted:

So I've been playing the tutorial and married someone who is living way over in Europe. Is there a way to get them to move to my capital?

They move only if they don't have their own holdings to rule over. This also means that spouse with land will not help you with state duties and affect your stats. But you'll probably inherit their land so there's a trade-off.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Suggestions have some problems. Like at the moment the game insists that I sway my dead vassal. Doesn't let me actually do it.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

canepazzo posted:

Was not aware of this but if your war enemy is in a war with someone else, the other opponent is also hostile to you, can attack and be attacked etc.

It was the same in CK2 if you have the same goal, wasn't it?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I haven’t been able to play much but what’s the problem with your realm splitting? Don’t you get claims on your old stuff like in ck2?

The point is you don't just expand indefenetely.

There's also a confederate partition or something. If you have land of 3 de jure duchies/kingdoms but don't actually create those titles your 3 sons will become 3 independent dukes/kings. Titles would be created automatically.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Sep 3, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

shut up blegum posted:

How is this game? Played a ton of CK2 but didn't really keep up with all the dlc.
Also, how well does it run? Will it run on my crappy laptop? I see the map is huge now, so you probably need a p beefy rig to play it?

Everyone seem to like the game.

It actually runs better than CK2 and utilizes multicore processors better. But you need a much better GPU. An integrated video card won't do it. The requirements are
Graphics: Nvidia® GeForce™ GTX 460 (1GB) / AMD® Radeon™ HD 7870 (2GB) / Intel® Iris Pro™ 580 / Intel® Iris® Plus G7 / AMD® Radeon™ Vega 11.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

bewilderment posted:

Hey so here's a challenge for you.
867 start, pick Chieftain Jaromil in what is IRL northern Poland. He's independent but only count-level.

Try not to game over in, like, under 10 years.

I gave it a couple of shots but it's impossible, he's everyone's whipping boy but at the same time the conditions aren't right to swear fealty to anyone either.

Can't you like bend the knee?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Skyl3lazer posted:

My singular complaint so far is that with all the wars, there needs to be some way that the player can guide allied doomstacks. The enemy AI can coordinate them perfectly, but ally armies don't follow yours or assist you in fights, so it's impossible to win fights when both sides have 20k troops without getting very lucky.

You end up with a lot of poo poo like this. Why is that stack not helping in the fight?

...Because AI sees that you're fine?

From what I've seen AI reacts well to circumstances. When I start marching towards the enemy across several territories they even drop nearby sieges to help me.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I really like what they've done with the music. How it's all ambient you might hear in, say, an RPG during exploration. Events and wars trigger a more familiar movie score. I've played for hours and I don't register repeating songs. I like OST from EU4 or Stellaris or Victoria 2 very much but it gets old very very fast.

On the other hand modding music probably becomes much harder. At the moment you don't even hear "calm" tracks changing. I suppose modders should only add event music like war ballads.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Is getting out of tribal government supposed yo he such a pain?

At the moment I have a huge White Rus' slavic state. The religion is reformed. The authority is tribal. I need 5 development in the capital and development does nothing for me but fine. But then I need *all* tribal advances?! 110 years into the game I've only researched 2 of those, and 2 of 3 of my characters were great scholars. Is there some way to make it easier apart from teaching my next ruler to speak French?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

So how does technological exposure works?

I'm trying to get Slavs out of tribal state. I'm the culture head. I have cultures in my realm of my religion and Vepsian culture. They have tech I don't have. But I only get a bonus from some Avars. I guess Avars have some Slavic lands under control. But even then I only get 1 tech bonus from them. Does it supposed to work that way - you only get 1 bonus from exposure at any given time, so the best tactic is to be fascinated with the stuff you're exposed to?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

canada jezus posted:

What are everyone's favorite lifestyles? I know the "best" ones are probably whatever you need atm (and stewardship in general), but like just favorites? I quite love the torturer/intrigue one. Just everyone poo poo scared of you, kidnapping motherfuckers and torturing them for funsies. Diplomacy is great though, make friends, everyone loving you, tons of prestige. Learning is situational but cool. I haven't played any martial characters yet, but i think that'll be my next game. Try to stack up knight effectiveness bonus and roleplay family power ranger killing peasants.

I've only played Tribals and they need prestige like air. So majesty counter-intuitively feels almost necessary for a young ruler.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

The fate (or rather adventurous vassals and inheritance system) brought parts of Lotharingia, Western France and Central Spain into the hands of my tribal White Rus'. On inheritance, most of my lands went to a king's granddaughter (daughter of the older son) and the Kingdom of Ruthenia went to king's 1 year old from his second wife. After some power consolidation I became a target of a crusade, they wanted Lotharingia. I didn't care much for it but I still wanted to fight the crusade. And the lands of my young uncle would help.

Long story short my young uncle has tragically died in the forest and my queen coincidentally started spending a lot on charity. I got new men at arms, more lands... And I've discovered that my baby uncle allowed single vassal duke to unite most of the Ruthenian lands under his control. Also a huge Bulgaria/Galicia-Volhyia kingdom has attacked using subjugation CB. This CB means that the target looses all highest titles, not just the ones that were there on the war start, so backing out means losing 3 kingdom titles. There's also Khazaria attacking with exactly the same CB. Each of those people have bigger army than I do. I reformed religion so I don't get bonuses from being barbaric, but I'm still tribal. Naturally I have no allies cause my rule started with crusade and no one wants to marry my daughters (of course I have 3 daughters after having to seduce my shy paranoid fickle husband so that we start producing babies after 5 years of marriage).

So it looks like my dynasty will get a huge spanking right now. But this is great. It's really next level for Paradox. I am now extremely optimistic about whatever they do next. Of course they have a lot of time to spoil it with feature creep and dumb additions but who knows, maybe they'll surprise me again.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Panzeh posted:

Being allied with your vassal is mostly there for relationship purposes and so you can help them against rebels. They don't join outside wars and don't bring you into wars they start with outsiders.

Important thing one can miss is that allied vassal doesn't join factions.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

toasterwarrior posted:

Is there a benefit to landing your heir? I find myself in the position of having holdings in excess of my limit occasionally when my heir isn't as good of a steward as I'd hoped, and so have to pass the extras out to minor nobles. If I get more domain limit, then I scheme to get that poo poo back.

They get more life style experience than they would otherwise.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Gantolandon posted:

Is it still filled with cock jokes, teeth brushing and events such as "My cock was cropping out of my pants, lose 1 Prestige"?

I for one hope there are still dumb Elder Scrolls references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Thinking about how they can make Byzantine Empire, Republics and even potentially China playable and interesting.

And I kinda see them making unlanded characters playable. You can even already select them in the new game screen but the game says you can't play unlanded characters, same as theocracies and republics. It's probably a lot of work - you'll need more mundane events that rarely trigger for more important characters, some non-landed applications for gold and prestige (probably treasury), controlled travel/guesting. This would mean you could play all those states not founded on land inheritance. It would also mean it's much harder to get a game over and also you can play a lot of famous landless historical characters like El Cid and all those Hohenzollerns or Romanovs and other people of dynasties better known in the future.