Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

buglord posted:

How likely is this to be easier to grasp as a newbie vs CK2? CK2 confused me to no end and this is as someone who figured out the inscrutable ways of EU4 and HOI4.

obviously not many people will have first hand experience to say just yet but paradox has been putting out tutorial videos and the UI looks so much more comprehensible than Ck2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26vR8IdZmGQ&list=PL_3rLv22kp6T7YGF35GcXgqE7814GTUUm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
My plan is to start in Ireland withe recommended newb character of king murchad and unite Ireland itself, then over the course of a few generations intermarry with the ruling dynastys of Scotland, England and Wales if its still around. That will hopefully put me in line of succession and I can murder my way to their individual crowns or I might be able to leverage some alliances to pressing my claims militarily. Either way I plan to form the empire of brittania, which I will use as my own personal laboratory for loving around with the new heresy and religion systems. All in it probably ends with me setting myself up as a god-king of the British Isles.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
btw, if people hadn't already seen, Paradox partnered with the Kings & Generals channel on youtube and had them produce two videos explaining the state of the world for each start date

867: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yWsiN4iQI0

1066:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW91dnqSsAo

shows the full map for those start dates and might help people make their decision on their first couple games

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
If I remember correctly there was also a thing with muslim rulers where your vassals expect to be married into your dynasty so over the course of generations your vassals are all getting claims to the throne

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Pylons posted:

Can Muslims still own temple holdings?

Yes, it was confirmed on the dev stream they've been doing

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

a new study bible! posted:

I want to play this game very badly

:same: all these videos have done is make me wish it was September 1st

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Gamerofthegame posted:

tutorial ireland seems like a waste, just get to grips with things on your first life and then get going

I want to conquer England as an Irish king at least one time

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So if Ireland is Insular Christianity instead of normal Catholic and they dont have the Armed Pilgrimages tenet does that mean Ireland doesnt participate in the Crusades?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Its friday, please "accidentally" release the game now thank you

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
CK3 is number 2 on the steam Global Best Sellers list behind Fall Guys

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I could not possibly care less about people wearing silly costumes in preview videos and I dont understand why anyone else does. If its really so offensive why are you not just skipping to the gameplay section?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Wolfechu posted:

Quick aside for people not balls deep in the whole Paradox/Grand Strategy thing - That review on IGN is by TJ Hafer, who's been reviewing strategy games for years, and hosts two separate podcasts about them - Three Moves Ahead, a general strategy game cast, and NoCB, a weekly roundup of Paradox games and dev diaries.

He's got more hours in each individual Paradox game than I probably do combined, and if he's gushing about CK3 this much and giving it 10/10, that's either really promising, or PDX have a way bigger budget for bribery this year. He was positive, but notably a lot more subdued in his Imperator review on launch..

Either way, I'm stoked for tomorrow. Even just from the youtuber previews, it looks exactly what I want.

Also some news about TJ: https://twitter.com/AsaTJ/status/1300237068438663176?s=19

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 1, 2020

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I kinda hope there is a dlc in the future that adds the weird supernatural stuff from CK2 back in, but I understand why they went for a more grounded historical flavor for CK3

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

discoukulele posted:

Any word on if Satanism is going to be in the game out of the box? I'm playing (probably) my last game of CK2 before CK3, and I joined Lucifer's Own for the first time, and holy poo poo it's so much fun.

As of right now the answer is no as far as the traditional satanists and being a member of a secret cult.

However the new religion systems have enough freedom to let you make your own nudist sex cult or cannibalistic war cult so that might fill the gap for you depending on what you liked best about the satanists in Ck2.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The Khazars are already in

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
only two complaints so far is that tanistry succession is a decision instead of a law you can pass and even after taking the decision the law page still lists your succession type as the default and one time my AI ally sat one province away and refused to reinforce my army that was fighting a battle it just barely lost

other than that the game owns

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So is Tanistry succession in Ireland just not worth it? The electors keep electing decrepit old men who everyone hates that die less than ten years after taking the throne.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I miss being able to hit up the Jews for a loan. Also I have yet to see a Jewish character outside of the Khazars. In Ck2 I would always have one or two show up in my court every now and then.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I have a strong hook on my spouse since I know about her secret lover but I keep getting events where I try to find out if she has been sleeping around

Of course she is game, I'm actively blackmailing her about it

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I found out that abducting the opposing ruler in a war through a scheme gives you 100% war score

I am going to abuse the hell out of this

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
do we know whether its better to have more effective knights, cheaper men-at-arms or more levies? trying to decide between duchy buildings right now in an effort to get Ireland a swole enough military to actually fight its neighbors

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Was about to start a murder scheme on my brother to get the kingdom of wales back under Irish control and the game crashed. Game has been pretty stable aside from that

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So in a moment of extreme weakness in england I managed to hook the king into marrying his only daughter, who was his only child at all, into a patrilinear marriage to my heir as the king of ireland, killed the king and now she is still the queen of england despite the patrilinear marriage and I want to make it so eventually I have an heir that will claim both the kingdom of england and ireland when they eventually take the throne

I think that heir will be my grandson (who is actually my son since the queen of england is my lover) but I'm not entirely sure. How do I make sure I don't gently caress up this prime opportunity?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
yeah Gengis Khan is definitely bugged out, he has a truce with Mongolia right now and was never able to expand beyond his starting province

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Havent seen the plague yet, Ive reclaimed Brittania for the celts and now Im settling in to breed a super dynasty and do some ReCeltification in Britain before it hits.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Well I had enough of dealing with the same clique of vassals either declaring independence or liberty wars after every succession so I stripped them all of their titles, executed them all and redistributed their former holdings to any character I could find with the Content trait. I now have -400 relations with my vassals thanks to tyranny so lets hope this maxed out Dread can hold it all together until that wears off.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The only thing I really miss from Ck2 is artifacts, I liked having my own personal Armory/Reliquary/Library full of oddities made by my ancestors or found on a crusade.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

JosefStalinator posted:

This and societies are the two biggest glaring omissions from CK3, and while I'm sure they'll come back in later DLC, it would have been nice to have ALL the old content at the start.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Artifacts could be the first flavor pack since its about the right size for one, and its such a no-brainer. Just a gut feeling though.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Can Tribals only adopt Feudal government or can you go for Clan government instead?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Oh dear me posted:

This was my sole experience of kidnapping as well. What use is it?

Toward the endgame of my Irish Brittania run I started abducting claimants to nearby kingdoms, recruiting them to my court and then immediately pressing their claims

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
My greek orthodox wife killed my dwarf brother in broad daylight during one of my feasts.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I know people hate societies but I do wish there were more things to do during peace time and I miss being a medieval academic writing papers on alchemy, taking part in fighting challenges or doing contracts for the Assassin order. There are already things in the game where you translate a text or train a horse and I'd love to see that stuff expanded on.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://youtu.be/3Y1NrGQClJU

Super interesting video going through the depiction of Islam in ck3 that I wanted to share around.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Are they fixing achievements?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Bringing artifacts back is such a slam dunk that I expect we are gonna get it in the first couple dlcs

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
What I want added:

1. Make the council matter again, let me stack it with loyalists or wrangle with malcontents like the ck2 days

2. Make some people jealous of you if you have high prestige rather than being a universal opinion boost

3. More independence wars

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

4. Make Byzantine succession a crisis.

Agreed but I'd roll that into "Give Byzantine's their Imperial Government"

5. Merchant Republics

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The first expansion is probably going to be something equivalent to a Stellaris story pack (Leviathans, Distant Stars, Synthetic Dawn etc.) or an EU4 immersion pack (Third Rome, Golden Century, Rule Brittania) just going by what the royal edition season pass thing says. Looks like they plan to do the "big release-small release-big release" thing stellaris does.

Personally im expecting something like artifacts, monuments or societies. The big update is gonna be after this one.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah it lists one expansion and two flavor packs. If they follow the stellaris pattern the next thing is a flavor pack then the proper expansion then the second flavor pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

How are u posted:

I'm glad that there's a great big team of nice people working on CK3, but I don't really give a poo poo about them and would much rather hear about their plans for new mechanics and content. Really weird decision to publish it as if it were some kind of update.

:same: