Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

quote:

You will no longer think less or more of yourself depending on how good you are at romancing someone else

Wow, that's an egregiously blatant break with reality, Paradox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

All the herbalists I've recruited were also witches. Trying to convert a large dynasty to witchcraft is a pain in the rear end, though. It took a combination of kinslaying and specifically targeting the 16 year old fertile children in the dynasty to spread it faster. If you try to convert someone who already is a witch it aborts early and reveals the witch to you.

It's pretty funny to be on the receiving end of members of the dynasty trying to convert me, though.

Also, having a few kingdom titles as a tribal leader sucks rear end. My vassals are creating the most horrible border gore imaginable and their constant sieging of each other is causing constant peasant revolts everywhere. My borders now cover twice the area I started with and I haven't been in any offensive wars for a while myself. This is worse than herding cats.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Crusader Kings III - A New Religion (Feat: T-Pain)

:thunk:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The pope gave me a gift.

Is this a known easter egg, or what's going on here.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Goofballs posted:

Oh, I should have said I have Iberia DLC. I like that a lot and most of my game time has been in Spain. I also have the royal court, didn't care for that so much.

The new DLC ties in a lot of royal court stuff. Going on a grand tour of your vassals as an itinerant king, inviting vassals to tournaments, visiting neighbouring kings for grand marriages etc.

It is well done, but it is unbalanced as gently caress. Everything feels a little overtuned. You can stack ridiculous bonuses on Men at Arms, gain insane amount of prestige quickly, but also die real quickly because travelling can be quite dangerous.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

You get tons of decisions that can wound you or make you ill. I've had lots of wounds and scarring during my game in Africa so far because of all the low control as well.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

This patch is so hilariously broken.

It kind of owns. I assume things like stress loss and prestige gain are going to get adjusted (nerfed heavily) eventually, but drat.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Never change, ck3. :allears:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Vassals seem a little too cocky with refusing tribute tbh.

Like, my friend, you have three counties and a duchy. Don't give the emperor a totally painless way of getting rid of you if you step out of line or if he feels like it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

My vassals constantly going to war against each other, loving up my realm and interrupting my travel all the time :mad:

I swear once I have high crown authority I'm revoking EVERYONE'S titles and then it's going to local rulers and everyone else gets thrown in the dungeon. gently caress's sake.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

MikeC posted:

I dunno I am just a loser and can't do that. Conversely, I will expend far more in-game resources than is smart in order to be vindictive towards fake videogame characters who hosed with me. Eating tyranny to imprison you so I can torture you every 5 years isn't a problem.

CK3 is at its best when you role play properly imo.

I am currently slowly eating my way through Africa and whenever a neighbouring realm gets too powerful their ruler suddenly has an accident, and the next ruler, and the next, until the whole thing tears itself apart and I pick up the scraps. Meanwhile, everyone loves me because I bring stability and lots of feasts and majestic grand tours and opulent weddings (financed by looting and ransoming the scraps I pick up). So the courtiers in neighbouring courts like me and like to join my schemes. I took as many culture acceptance and foreign courtier bonuses as I could.

I'm at a dozen dead neighbouring rulers and counting, just one murder scheme after another.

I also took all the mines in Africa for myself.

I'm the good gal. :sun:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

In a duel against my daughter, playing as a female ruler:

-40 opinion, but worth it

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

If I want to make succession happen on my terms I go on a long pilgrimage making stops at all the great sights of my realm with the smallest entourage possible: Open sea, lush jungles, the highest mountains. It's a hoot.

Bonus points, if you want to clean up succession a bit, you can have a bad heir be your caravan master to go on a grand adventure with you.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Early game armies run a ton of skirmishers (light footmen) which counter heavy infantry.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Vassals are as annoying as ever, possibly more so. To be honest, CK3 has so totally supplanted CK2 that I don't remember much. It is superficially the same game, but then I look at CK2 and go "oh wow, people don't visually age like they do in CK3, that's wild".

With the vassal types that were just introduced you have to be careful if you don't have an iron grip on power, since you may have vassals dislike things that other vassals want you to do.

The court mechanics of that one DLC are super relevant there, you'll have vassals come and whine at you for giving away positions or titles…

Also, house feuds with vassals are not fun.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Heavy Infantry are even more broken now

Honestly, that's an understatement even.

I'm in early medieval Africa, and I can field 13 units of Armored Footmen per regiments thanks to accolades. They get a 140% damage bonus from a normal county, without the duchy capital building.

They aren't broken, they are beyond that. Turbo murdering everything in sight.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Early archers are still pretty good.

The thing is that buildings give percentage bonuses, so as you unlock more buildings at higher tiers the disparity between the types widens and widens in absolute numbers.

e: Especially early I had a bunch of my neighbours with enough skirmishers to completely counter my HI, so I went hard into horsemen and archers instead. Got a good accolade into high tier to have much larger regiments than normal for both.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 27, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I never use Nvidia, so I can't talk about their cards, but for AMD you can set power budgets for both CPU and GPU. I have a 5800X3D and I limited its power to 90W in firmware, which cost me an imperceptible amount of performance but now the fan doesn't spin up anymore. I do the same for my GPU via the driver, because I never want to burn 200W+.

Modern hardware seems to spend a ton of power to get the last 10% of performance. If you don't need those few percent, let the firmware manage its clocks to stay below a set power budget. That is much, much better than just capping frames (though vsync is still good, unless you are on Windows)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Just RP it as being dead for vassal tax reasons.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Where's your capital?

Also, I'm not saying that you could put undesired children in the dungeon and let the health penalties do their job, but…I'm just saying.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Holy orders can get spawned instantly, which you can abuse if you are in a war where they can be called. Have only one gathering point, put it where an enemy army is entering your territory (preferrably with high defensive bonuses), hire the holy order when the incoming army is movement locked.

Also, shouldn't your capital always be inherited? I've used shenanigans by moving my capital outside of my primary title before but I actually have no idea how this actually works…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Load times on Linux have always been much better for me than on Windows, incidentally. It's true for anything using the Clausewitz engine.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Say "Thanks, Mr. Skeltal"

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I saw some jokes about playing as Ya'qub in the 867 start date to "invent white people", and it lead me to learn something new about the world. :psyduck:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Has anyone here had their character willingly commit suicide? As in, clicking the decisions tab for it? I don't know why you would do it except for some sick curiosity.

Being able to choose the exact date of succession can be pretty advantageous. You have a single heir who just came of age with good traits, you are in a calm period after a bunch of conquest, and you could easily handle the turmoil of succession? Good time to ascend a mountain and die.

I've found that religions that eliminate the suicide penalty to be quite useful.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Honestly, that post feels very appropriate for the game.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I do not appreciate you glossing over the relevatory dream part.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I wonder how a whacky CK3 expansion would work out. Just put all the silly nonsense into one DLC. Vampires, undead, monty bleeding python style spanish inquisition, etc.

I bet they've come across stuff in their research that was too silly to put into the game. Put it in.

The Arma3 devs made a really good first contact DLC with literal aliens in it. Just sayin'

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It all makes sense now.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I, for one, wholeheartedly support Bavarian secession.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I'm not opposed to rebuilding the wall either.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

"mia san mia" is pretty loving cringe, but not yet illegal.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

bob dobbs is dead posted:

and it looks like peeps aren't having results from trying the putative fix for posix crashes on the bug forum, lol

Yup, still crashing.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Considering that it doesn't take that long to trigger and always happens in the same place, it seems to me they better loving do.

The question is whether they care, and evidently they do not.

Which is a shame, because all the Clausewitz games always ran best on Linux for me…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Curiously, posts like this are being made and apparently PDX mods have standing orders to immediately censor any mention of the bug they have been ignoring for months.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Elias_Maluco posted:

But still, loving paradox

This bug has been know for how many months now?

Since November.

But it's fixed on the mac beta branch.

People were rather less than amused in the last two weeks so Paradox finally had to move.

It's a bit wild, though. I sent them half a dozen crash dumps with the exact same loving stacktrace every single time. I don't have symbols, but they very much loving do.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i've long come to the conclusion that pdx modding community is better than pdx at like, many computertouching things. manybe most things

I have a hunch that the map game audience is like half developers or adjacent. One of the threads had someone complain about the obvious lack of linting in the game's script files (inconsistent indentation etc.)

Which is, imo, a pretty fair observation btw., you'd think at this point they would have some CI pipeline for their games…

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 15, 2024

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

If they can parse it, which I hope they can, they can lint it. :v:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

One wonders how they can push out a build that fills debug.log with <only the first definition of this sink is used> and nothing else.

Like, if this was my code, I'd be livid at having my debug logs be turned useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The mac_testing branch has fixed the crash completely.

Now I get to wonder wtf they did with the Vulkan renderer. With the game paused and the desktop otherwise idle it fluctuates from 90 to 20 seemingly at random.

What on earth are they doing? Stellaris, meanwhile, never dips below 100 for me and usually stays at 120 all the time.