Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Excited for this guy. I like the increased granularity in the secrets/hooks and religious systems, and how they interact. The "legal" system in CK2 always left something to be desired imo, not least of which would be some way to track crimes and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

orangelex44 posted:

Anyone have their first game planned yet? I think I'm going to try being one of the Viking invaders of England in the early start, it seems like a good chance to test out the new religion mechanics in a relatively, but not entirely, isolated position. My traditional warm-up of Irish petty king -> high king -> crusader king can wait until the second go-round.

I was gonna go through the tutorial in Ireland. I have friends who are interested in CK but daunted, so I want to see how well it does its job. After that I might play a duke in France to see how the game plays as a vassal. Or maybe somewhere in the middle east. or...

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Torrannor posted:

Everything that comes out only has me more hyped. I watched the Proud Bavarian video, and the game just... looks like it's a lot of fun to play. This really might be their best launch yet.

:same: despite trying to temper my expectations. I'm excited for the music; what I've heard of it in various videos has been good. The music always really set the mood for me in CK2, so I'm hoping for a strong showing this time too.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

ilitarist posted:

Three Moves Ahead podcast talked about the music a lot. It's very different from previous Paradox music where you just had a movie-style score playing in the background. Here the music is more ambient and subtle but deeply connected to what you see on the screen. Special event music is what you hear a lot, I understand.

I went and found this and yeah, everything you and they said sounds great to me.

Was there no official live stream today?

\/\/\/
aha, thank you

Saganlives fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 26, 2020

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Looks like the streaming embargo drops on monday, so at least there will be more to talk about.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Man, I have loving just disappeared into this game. Everything that made CK2 a fun emergent story roleplaying game is in, and better. Considering this is the baseline experience, I'm stoked on future content and mods especially.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The malus for a powerful vassal not having a seat on the council is real frustrating. -40 is brutal.

I keep having factions being created to overthrow me and based on the maluses it's purely on the basis that I can't fit everyone in my five council seats. I've got eight dukes and without fail the three that I can't fit always start a war to install someone else.

Sounds like you need to become more dreadful. When vassals are intimidated or terrified of you, they stay out of factions. I believe you can also use hooks to keep them out as well.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Freudian slippers posted:

I could use some help here. I've got a courtier with a useful unpressed claim, but I can't for the life of me understand how I press it. I can go to war against the current owner and use "Claim country", but that would just give me the county (which I could then pass on to the claimant, sure), but I want to press his claim and I don't understand how. There's no casus belli for "Press character X's claim to county Y".

Pressing a claim is going to war. The difference between a pressed and unpressed claim is that pressed claims can be inherited. In your case you're best off just pressing that guys claim and winning the war. There are situations where, say, you have an unpressed claim on a kingdom and while you have no hope right now of winning that war, you do it anyway to press the claim. You lose, but then your kids have a claim on the kingdom and maybe they're better equipped to do it.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Freudian slippers posted:

Well yes, but shouldn't there be two different casus belli options? Even with a claimant in my court I only have the same CB I've always had (concquer single country as tribal). There seems to be no point in having a claimant in my court. Basically, I want him to have the "pressed my claim" positive modifier.

Oh, yeah it should be its own CB option. I don't remember exactly what it says, but it should say both on the button and explain that he gets the title in the details. It's definitely distinct from the standard tribal conquest CB. Is the title he's a claimant to a neighboring county? If so, then the tribal CB is probably better because it just gives you control of the county rather than him. If you definitely wanted to vassalize him, then he would gain that modifier after you conquered his claim and he became your vassal.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Man the secrets and hooks system is exactly what CK needed. I love all the different ways you can learn secrets, the types of secrets there are, etc.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Train Commanders still doesn't work :v:

:negative:

This bothered me enough I was specifically looking for it today while playing. Seemed to be working fine for me?

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Interesting, and the event where you get new knights from it was working? I had it on for decades and received exactly zero new knights from it. There's a bunch of people on the forums saying the same thing too.

I did not see new knights, no. I did see several knights get upgraded prowess though, and assumed the rest was working too. That'll teach me to assume.

Just for the record tho, I had a 22 martial councilor and he upgraded three knights over the course of like 2 years.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

If you're a history nerd you should know Brett Devereaux, an actual historian, started writing a series on Crusader Kings 3 and how it presents a theory of history via mechanics and gameplay and how accurate that theory is in it's portrayal of the period. (Hint: pretty close in interesting ways!) He also wrote a (completed) series on Europa Universalis 4 and Victoria 2. They are all interesting reads. I also recommend his series titled The Fremen Mirage which tackles the idea that decadent men lead to hard men that lead to decadent men again, it's very good though not immediately relevant to Paradox games.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Oh poo poo yeah. Before I read I'm very curious if he shares my thoughts re:

• The MaA meta really encourages you to play as a fiscal-military state of the 1600s, with the focus on dumping as much cash into your MaA to become a bad actor in an anarchic world lacking stabilizing political institutions.
  • The world starts off overly economically under developed, with far more difference in the development state of the world between the start dates and end dates than there should be
  • Individual AIs, while supposedly being motivated by their personalities, even powerful ambitious characters don't seem to do much (which I understand is probably done in the name of computational non-complexity, but the outcome is that the most the AI seems to do is plot to murder everyone they know, which is hardly ideal)

Yeah as Dallan Invictus said, his focus is on the history not the mechanical balance. He talks a lot about how the personality system and focus on individuals interacts with the Great Man theory and how that applies to the players understanding of the time period. Just as a comparative example, the EU4 series talks a lot about how the mechanics force the player to engage in aggressive expansion as a result of interstate anarchy for security, lest they be absorbed themselves by their neighbors and how this related to actual states in that time.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Ah yeah, gotcha. He hasn't gotten into that stuff yet but I wouldn't count it out, especially if he goes for like 5 articles or whatever like he did for EU4

VVV You're welcome! VVV

Saganlives fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

I mean, it's also worth considering traits more the longer your game goes and the more power you have. For instance, if you get a divorce but already have an heir and then marry an ambitious wrathful woman with high intrigue then you're going to have to worry about her plotting to murder your heir in favor of her own children that she has with you. (this comes up all the time if you're playing as a muslim with multiple wives) In general though other posters are correct in that you mostly are looking for alliances, positive congenital traits and skills.