Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Question: in CK2, a county with enough prosperity could trigger an event that would allow you to add another barony to it. In CK3 there's both a limit for baronies and building slots, depending on the county. Does development have any effect on this? Has anyone been able to add building slots of baronies to a county? Thought it was cool how in CK2, with effort, you could change the course of history by turning a dead hunk of rock into Venice or Constantinople. I'm trying to do just that with the Faroe Islands and though I've gotten it to a development of 22, I haven't yet seen anything from it beyond the increase to taxes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
So, you've decided you're tired of blobbing out and wanna try "playing tall." May I suggest to you: Bohemia. But why Bohemia?

Bohemia, in 867, is a single duchy of 8 counties. All are of the Czech culture and they're the only Czech provinces in the game, at this time. The layout of the provinces are that so your default capital, Praha, touches every one of your other counties.

The way that development works is that high development counties radiate out into adjacent counties, causing their development to also improve. So, if you're focusing on Praha, every other one of your provinces (that is every other Czech culture province in the game), is also going to be experiencing benefit from it. Development is helpful in making a province produce more in both troops and income, but also...

Technology. The main factor in improving in tech is the average development in a culture's provinces. Most cultures have many many provinces and most provinces around 867 are below 10 in development (including all of Bohemia's) but unlike Bohemia's, most other provinces wont trend up at the rate yours will. Because their layout isn't perfect, because they have too many and because...

Praha is close to being a perfect county. The only thing that would make it better would be to have its default county capital be on Farmland (for that 20% bonus to development) and for it to have one of those OP special buildings. Praha has six barony slots and three of them are farmland. I'm not sure there's a better province in the game, right now.

Praha's early problems should be quickly resolved by slapping down castles on your empty farmland, thus granting you that 20% dev speed bonus, when you move your county capital to one of them. Slap your Steward down on the county assigned to increase development and never take them off. Money will come from other places and you should never spread your culture for this strategy. Build only buildings that end with a percentage increase to development speed. Luckily they also grant tax bonuses, allowing you to further beef up your holdings.

Into general strategy: grab the centralization lifestyle perk with every ruler. It makes a huge difference and over decades will transform Praha into the city of world's desire. The learning focus is an excellent pillar to just hold onto throughout this play-through. The other development perks are in the middle tree and also, learning is the second biggest factor for tech, outside of culture dev. Convert to Catholicism to hit up the Pope for free cash every 4 years. Fuel that growth. It will also make your gigantic southern neighbors like you. Early in trying to make this work, I was swearing fealty to East Francia: this is a mistake. East Francia will often collapse and its successor state will let you get gobbled up. You're stronger alone.

After that's done, the biggest risk to an early defeat is the now aggressive pagans to your north. Solution: kidnap their rulers and convert them to Catholicism before releasing them. Your new friends are now a buffer state between you and the northern raiders. Secure powerful allies, just in case.

Your development will quickly sky rocket past the levels of Rome or Constantinople. By around 1200, my development in Prague was 90, the adjacent counties, which I did not touch, were at 85. Rome at that time was 70. Constantinople, 62. I had the final tech tree entirely unlocked within just a ridiculously short amount of time. Something like 20 years. You'll start noticing you're out teching everyone by around 1100. My suggestions for first techs to unlock, you guessed it: the development oriented ones. Good fun and lets you focus on what CK3 is really about: skillfully marrying off your daughters, playing a game of eugenics with your sons and clicking through lots and lots of popups.

Bohemia: give it a try.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I feel like the benefits of a small culture are overwhelmingly superior to the benefits of a large culture. Opinion bonuses can come from just about anywhere, but tech boosts are relatively uncommon.

For an interesting start, play a one province Gotland with a custom character, select a dead culture (Old Saxon or something) and just focus on dev-ing. You'll soon be the tech hub of the planet.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

quote:

Convince De Jure Territory (Steward): Convince other rulers to relinquish to you what is yours by De Jure right, or face diplomatic consequences.

I'm not seeing any evidence of this in game. Do you need to be independent?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
The steam reviews for RC started at very positive but is now at mixed. I've personally been enjoying it a ton.

I feel like (and Paradox has been struggling with this for awhile) there's a subset of the fan base that is very outspoken and very petty.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Dwesa posted:

it seems most of them are just usual 'DLC too expensive'

Yeah, I don't really get that complaint. 30$ has been a pretty static number for expansions. I remember buying the Warcraft 2 expansion, new, for that price in 1995.

I'm happy with my purchase which is a lot more I can say about most games that came out in 2020/21.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Kvlt! posted:

So I had a pretty good relationship going with the Pope, playing a pious Catholic so he constantly sends me mad cash when all of a sudden I get a notification that he demanded all but one of my lands and I had a negative reputation with him.

I was confused until I looked at my character and his fath said he was Jewish all of a sudden? Does anyone know what the hell happened? I didn't suddenly convert him, nobody in my family or court was even Jewish, and I had mainly been focusing on conquering Siciliy so nobody I had been at war with or interacted with was Jewish. Does anyone know what triggered this random and sudden conversion without the game even telling me my character had converted? Maybe a bug?

Did you ever have a break? I've accidentally clicked the option to convert to a random religion more than once.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

megane posted:

I do recommend the mod that changes the reformation requirement from "hold 3 holy sites personally" to "have 3 holy sites controlled by members of your religion"; it's absurd that in order to reform your religion you have to destroy all your coreligionists.

You only need one to reform. You need three to become "organized."

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Trevor Hale posted:

Is there any action I can take when I find out a vassal is trying to kill my wife? Apparently it would be tyrannical to imprison him

Finding out a vassal is scheming normally gives you an imprisonment reason against them. You could murder them.

Or if you don't have a reason, you could set your spy master to discover schemes.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Two things:

1. Mystical Ancestors is such a cool tradition that I think goes against the grain of a lot of people's strategies. Hand out title after to title to house members to speedrun renown. With the right investment of items and dynasty legacies, the malus in relationship to claimants can be entirely negated and then some. It's a bummer that only a few cultures (none in Europe) have access to it!

2. Related gripe, but as others have noticed I think there are some issues with hostile factions right now. Have had a couple fire on me from groups that, at minimum, have +20 opinion of me.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Arcvasti posted:

The solution to that is to conquer all of south slavia or whatever, use the decision to get absolute crown authority and then you can designate your best kid as heir and you're basically playing with primogeniture.

Seniority is really good if you're a vassal and can get hooks on your liege. You can alter your commitments to nothing in such a short amount of time.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Has anyone done the math on what combination of traditions, buildings and special holdings gives what specific province the highest possible development growth?

I've taken a brief look and the county of Bamiyen, with its unique building that adds 75%, stacked with 20% from Mountain Ruralism, 35% from Mountain Herding and 35% from Mountain Homes which adds up to a bonus 165% dev modifier.

You can also further add collective lands and a House of Glass for an added 45%. Getting us to a 210% dev modifier and then FURTHER modify that with buildings and royal preserves boosting dev to 244%.

That's before traits, which can add another 45% onto it taking us to a whopping 289% modifier.

A nearly 300% development speed growth modifier in a desert mountain in landlocked Afghanistan. That's pretty impressive!

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

scaterry posted:

Hi, I did the math.
Bamiyen is desert mountains which is -50% dev growth, which is why the special building gives so much.
If you're doing 'normal' dev strats, the best county is Madurai. 7 baronies, 4 of which are coastal. That's five cities and four tradeports. Plus it starts at 25 dev.
Dev growth is surprisingly the least impactful modifier to increase dev at high penalty levels. The two modifiers you should be looking for are flat dev growth (Royal Gardeners) and councillor task speed (Family Business)
If you're not doing normal dev strats, have tons of excess gold, and are ok with tedious rebuilding, industrious is the best one by far.

I have a strat that's even faster than industrious, but I haven't finished the run yet

That's really impressive!

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

How are u posted:

Every time I've landed an heir they've become a huge gently caress-up and ruined themselves. Never again.

My new favorite way to play this game is with Gavelkind always on and Mystical Ancestors. A year before death, hand out every title you've got, besides your top and capital. Invest in dynasty bonuses and your realm will be packed with your own and very stable. The most tedious part of the game (map painting) gets played for you by your family.

And if your heir is a fuckup, which is always possible in any circumstance, you got another one just around the corner.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

How are u posted:

drat, that rules. My oldest Haesteinn was 100.

I think Cannibals can live pretty long if they are able to eat a few people near the end of their natural lifespan. Just like in real life.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
An annoying bug, that I think is a bug, but I'm not sure:

Yesterday I had been using the "Commission Epic" decision and each book I got was a personal inventory item. A trinket. But TODAY, after doing it about four or five times, they're all throne room items.

ALSO: sometimes I pay for items and immediately the artisan leaves my court. If I got conned I'd like to know, because it also seems like a bug.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Baron Porkface posted:

I don't see the "convince de jure territory" button.

It's hidden unless another ruler has territory that is de jure yours. Unless it's bugged.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Hellioning posted:

The annoying thing about Byzantium is that it's constantly in civil wars and the like but it doesn't matter because the vassals will expand anyway and there's rarely enough in-fighting at a time to actually threaten the emperor's power.

Is this normal or new to this patch? I'm currently playing as a vassal of Byzantium and the throne is switching hands on average once per three years. It's a bitch having to continually re-ask for a council position, but isn't a huge deal besides that.

Though, with Byzantium fighting an average of four wars at any given time, I'm having to watch the bottom right like a hawk to notice if any of my territory is being fought over.

A bit frustrating.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Speaking of cool traditions: what are we all liking?

I enjoy the combo of Philosopher Culture and Warrior Priests. I tend to neglect martial trees and focus on learning anyway. This pair makes my learned family members and even priests very effective commanders and knights.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
There seems to be three different types of traditions:

Worst:

Traditions that modify combat advantage on terrain. There are quite a few of these and they just feel like filler/bloat. They should be merged into traditions that make terrain type more economically desirable.

Traditions that modify troop damage. No one cares. Combat is the least interesting part of Crusader Kings and always has been.

Okay:

Traditions that convey economic advantage on terrain. Traditions that give access to unique unit types. Traditions that modify buildings/building types.

The Best:

Traditions that modify characters. That is traditions that make traits different, or give access to new traits or make certain traits more common. Traditions that offer new events or succession types, giving access to more diverse role playing opportunities. Traditions that shape gameplay mechanics (I.E. Mystical Ancestors). These are the traditions that make the game feel fresh, diverse and interesting. There are too few of these.

I haven't had a chance to play with most traditions, but it seems to me like a lot of them are pretty obvious bloat.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Is there some mod to make demanding payments for hooks less clicky? Maybe only show me the ones which have enough money to pay full price or somesuch?

Calling in house members to wars is similarly a click fest. It costs nothing and if you're going to call in one, why not call them all?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
The official forums are really bad aren't they?

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/gameplay-reccomendation-transition-character-decision.1512269/

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Has anyone played with the increased stability game rules? Does it noticeably stop the AI from constantly being at war with itself?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I recently played a bit of a game using the neutered factions game rule and it did seem to make large empires more likely to form and less likely to be at war with themselves, constantly. Something to chew on as we all examine the current state of the game and its over zealous, bordering on nonsensical, factions problem

There is a balance yet to be found even with this rule. There shouldn't be ultra massive stable empires (aside from maybe Byzantium) sticking around for hundreds of years without internal challenge.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
A thought I'm sure everyone has had, but I don't often see mentioned: Norse cultures have so much more going on comparative to any other culture. They can bat well above their weight. They get two unique renown trees. Unique cultural mechanics. They've got the best MAA in the game. Unique decisions. Unique techs. Etc. Etc...

They should strive to make all cultures so unique, but it's really just the one.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I think shy and paranoid are the two most annoying traits. ParanoId especially is just a pain in the rear end.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Dallan Invictus posted:

Not yet. All the TCs are going to be way slower this time around because of all the necessary art.

Are there any total conversions that are in a good state at present?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Baron Porkface posted:

Do tribals have a bonus to defensive attrition like ck2?

I think they also get defensive combat advantages through holy sites. No Asatru, but the other ones.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Question about how character events are weighted:

When I play as a single province count (the best way to start) I will always make my character a lunatic. The reason for this is, as a lunatic, an event can trigger where you can build a greenhouse.

Anecdotally, I notice that some lunatics are more of a lunatic than others. My last character I had something like 4 or 5 lunatic events trigger in childhood. In that characters life I got the greenhouse event three times.

This playthrough, I haven't gotten ANY lunatic events and I don't think that the greenhouse will proc this run. This has happened before.

So, I'm just wondering: is this random and I'm getting lucky or unlucky? Are there degrees of being a lunatic (extremely a lunatic to barely a lunatic) OR, can certain situations arise where a trait like this is just ignored?

I'd appreciate your insight. Trying to create optimal conditions to create a greenhouse on whatever awful rock I decide to play on next.

EDIT: If a trait appears last in your character sheet... Is it weighed last?

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 2, 2022

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I think the issue is that I've gotten it reliably and often. Now my expectations are just totally out of wack

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Quick question:

Say you're a kingdom under an empire and you conquer a neighboring duchy under a neighboring kingdom under the same empire. Will that duchy dejure drift toward your kingdom?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

The new culture mechanics have really buffed "tall" playstyles, since you can ensure your hybrid/divergent culture only exists in the 8-15 provinces you control personally, hugely boosting your cultural fascination gain. Make sure to pick up one of the traditions that boosts your primary holding terrain type's development gain. This works best in regions with mostly similar terrain like Egypt, Arabia, and parts of India/Sub-Saharan Africa where you can have most of your provinces be floodplains/desert/jungle (unfortunately, there's no tradition that boosts development in plains).

There's also not a huge downside to just diverging while you hold only your capital province. There is a HUGE upside though, when it comes to tech.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Servetus posted:

There are certain cultural traditions that this makes ineffective though, Castle Keepers requires that both the ruler and province have the tradition to get the Reniwn boost from holding Castles.

Yes, but if you're farming renown, as would be the idea with Castle Keepers, it would maybe be more optimal to go Mystical Ancestors and just pass out holdings before succession. MA isn't dependent on the culture, only the house.

It's a different playstyle, I know. But I love it to death.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

scaterry posted:

Do you know its really easy to convert faiths this patch? apostate + two other character modifiers is enough to convert to any faith

I think converting from a reformed faith to an unreformed faith is still difficult, no?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

TorakFade posted:

What's a good fun vassal start where you can/should remain a vassal? I am a bit tired of becoming the top dog of a huge empire, I want to struggle and having to raise my 300 levies and 50 men at arms to try and beat my yokel neighbors down for their stuff

Sardinia, swear fealty to Byzantium. You've got a lot of places to mess around in. Italy, North Africa, Spain, France... It's very defensible, being on a large hilly island and it's got a gold mine so you can easily punch above your weight. It's a great place to play tall.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
The new dynasty legacy "Metropolitan" really focuses on the development of cities. It has a capstone that lets you just add new building slots onto cities. There's no analogous ability for castles or temples. If cities are good, it would make this dynasty tree pretty good too!

...but I don't know if cities are good. I tend to think they aren't. Thoughts?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Tankbuster posted:

Metropolitan Venice you say.

Venice's only holding appears to be a castle.

WHILE I'M HERE: What's the current non-exploity way for generating renown? My instinct is mystical ancestors or castle keepers, but I've already played quite a bit with reach and am looking for something new.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Has anyone figured out Struggle For Iberia? So far it just seems like base, but I'm pretty chill with everyone else in Iberia, despite cultural and religious differences. We're all declaring friendships with one another in a way reminiscent of Pakastani Facebook.

I noticed one or two extra events, but nothing mind blowing.

I think I should probably restart and invade as a viking. That might be more a splash.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Does anyone know offhand if there's a way to add area into a struggle zone? Say I'm playing a duke and dejure drift into a spanish kingdom, can I then join the struggle?

Trying to find a way for how to have my capital remain in Cagliari while becoming part of the struggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I'm wondering if I set up a dynasty member to solve the Iberian crisis, will they do it themselves? If the AI is given the proper conditions, will they take the decision on their own?