Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Heads up, this OP and the handhelds mentioned are officially way out of date. These things release monthly now and the market is a bit saturated. Looking for your first one? As of 9/2/2023 you should google the:

-Miyoo Mini +
-Retroid Pocket 2S, 3+ and Flip
-Anbernic 405M, 405V and 353V

Also check out Russ at RetroGameCorps, his videos and reviews will discuss devices, setup, capabilities, etc.

On to the outdated OP!

quote:

You sent a payment of $90.00 USD to 深圳市驰晶科技有限公司
Please check your mail every 30-40 weeks.

After several similar PYF Purchase posts, someone decided that we should have a thread for third party handhelds. I know next to nothing about them so I figured I'd better be the one to post.

Also please be smart about :filez: or posts that can get us yelled at.

:woof:Valuable Resources:woof:

:v: If you want to get into the nitty gritty and see a million amateur photos of things go check out the SBC Gaming subreddit at https://www.reddit.com/r/SBCGaming/

:v: Worth noting specifically, there's a giant public spec sheet and they're still updating it today: https://www.reddit.com/r/SBCGaming/comments/dcy889/emulation_handhelds_specifications_spreadsheet/

:v: Russ with RetroGameCorps does great work documenting these. The more we all learn about these systems the more we like his videos. He also has a cat named Chicken. Check it out:
https://retrogamecorps.com/category/reviews/

:woof:Here's Some of the Most Popular Picks as of 11/5/2021::woof:

The order I put these in doesn't mean anything, they all have ups and downs so choose what you think will spark the most joy.

Retroid Pocket 2 (and say hello to the 2 plus!)

RetroDoDo review and info: https://retrododo.com/retroid-pocket-2/

-Android OS (Comes with an install executable for their own front-end emulator software, which works ok)
-Quad ARM A7, capable of handling PS1, N64, some Dreamcast and backwards
-3.5" IPS at 640x480
-WiFi
-Bluetooth 4.0
-HDMI out

A great system if A) it doesn't look stupid to you and B) you want something more customizable with a steeper learning curve. There are reports of input delay with anything Android so have fun messing with RetroArch. I got mine working fine.

UPDATED Fun Fact about these: Retroid is selling an upgraded version which they're calling the Retroid Pocket 2+. It's the same exact shell with a touch screen, much faster PCB and totally reworked front-end. Supposedly it handles up to and including some GameCube! In what is another cool move, they're letting you buy the PCB and Screen separately to do the upgrade yourself to save on money and plastic waste. What's not to love about that?

Anbernic RG351V

RetroMimi info: https://retromimi.com/blogs/news/rg351v

-It's vertical
-Quad RK3326 1.5Ghz chip
-3.5" IPS at 640x480
-Likely a similar software experience to the RG351
-WiFi
-Twin MicroSD slots

I think this would work best for people who want the RG351 series in a GameBoy shell with a better screen. Note the one-less stick on the right as a lot of people consider it a deal breaker.

Anbernic RG351MP

https://retrogamecorps.com/2021/10/13/final-review-anbernic-rg351mp/

-Basically blends the RG351P, M and V
-Durable, high quality metal shell
-Quad RK3326 1.5Ghz chip
-3.5" IPS at 640x480
-Dual SD system

This is a hard hitter until the RK3326 is downright replaced. It looks beautiful and I personally love the dual SD system they're using. You can keep your roms on card2 and reflash card1 every time you brick RetroArch you IDIOT.

Anbernic RG351M and RG351P

RetroDoDo review and info: https://retrododo.com/rg351p/

-Comes in a metal version (RG351M)
-Quad RK3326 1.5Ghz chip, similar to the RP2 chip from what I can tell
-3.5" IPS at 480x320 (notably not great)
-Open source Linux operating system
-Vibrates!

It's a slightly older design at this point but they still work well and are probably going on good sales.

??? Chicken Boy

-Comes with a lanyard
-Smokes weed
-Don't buy one

WHAT ABOUT WINDOWS HANDHELDS??

They're becoming more popular lately but yes you can basically buy a windows PC that looks like a giant bootleg Switch. They can basically do what a laptop can do and cost the better part of a grand.

Can I just hack my 3DS or Switch to do most of this?

Yep but there's a much better thread specifically for giving Nintendo the finger and getting your Online account banned, and as soon as I find it I'll link it! Maybe buy Search so I don't have to!

The SteamDeck is officially a thing!

It sure is! It's a large expensive boy that will be shipping... sometime? Feel free to talk about it here when deciding what you want to play Claymates on, but it does have it's own thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973713

Edit: keep your dog poo poo PSP chat out of here or else. gently caress you and gently caress your PSP.

Edit2: PSP chat is now fine.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Thanks to everyone in the PYF recent purchases thread I ended buying an an indigo one as well

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Thanks to everyone in the PYF recent purchases thread I ended buying an an indigo one as well

I bought the NES version. They really nailed it with the color options.

Here's a good breakdown video that was posted there as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0nTVNOuBBc

Can't wait to check it out sometime in 2021 when it arrives!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I ended up getting the SNES looking one, but here's some real content:

I found a google doc for the retroid that has a bunch of games and the suggested emulator/settings to use in order to get the best performance. I'm still waiting the 15-90 years it will take for mine to sent from China, so I have no idea what the accuracy of this information is. Should be fun once we all get them and realize we've been fleeced by some scam.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

If anybody goes RK2020 here is the image I recommend flashing to it. Use WIN32 DiskImager, do not use Etcher.
https://github.com/christianhaitian/rk2020/wiki/TheRA-2.4-NTFS-(Updated-8-9-2020)

I paid the dumb $15 for DHL on the Retroid. Side note and potentially exciting with the Retroid Pocket 2, if it gets a newer Android version, you could also use it for Xbox xCloud Game Pass Streaming.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Tim Whatley posted:

If anybody goes RK2020 here is the image I recommend flashing to it. Use WIN32 DiskImager, do not use Etcher.
https://github.com/christianhaitian/rk2020/wiki/TheRA-2.4-NTFS-(Updated-8-9-2020)

I paid the dumb $15 for DHL on the Retroid. Side note and potentially exciting with the Retroid Pocket 2, if it gets a newer Android version, you could also use it for Xbox xCloud Game Pass Streaming.

How long can one expect this type of device to be supported/updated? I can't imagine too long.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Actually, it looks like the minimum Android OS for xCloud is Android OS 6, which is what this is running. I wonder if it'll work out of the box. I'm in the beta so I'll give it a shot when it comes in.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

wandler20 posted:

How long can one expect this type of device to be supported/updated? I can't imagine too long.

I would be surprised any of these things were EVER supported/updated.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Here’s my post in PYF about Retroid’s shipping method.

quote:

For those ordering the Retroid Pocket 2, you should note that there’s a (silly) way to make sure your order ships with DHL instead of the stock 4PX, which apparently takes longer and transfers to the USPS. You know, the thing Trump and his goons are destroying.

1. They have a DHL ship token in their store for a dollar. You put one of these in your cart and change the quantity to 15 so you’re paying an extra 15 bucks for the better shipping. This is the fun way. If you’ve already placed your order like I did you can:

2. Just email them saying you want to swap to DHL. They’ll email you back in 1-2 days saying yeah sure and you’ll get a PayPal request for 15 additional bucks.

It’s a little extra work and coin but apparently can save weeks of shipping time.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 24, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

How’s the buying experience? I’m used to getting stuff from random folks in China due to hating money and mechanical keyboards so I’m curious how it shapes up.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Rolo posted:

Wait is that $15 on top of the $10 regular shipping?

Also this coupon code I got from a retro gaming discord saves $5

YEJJD

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Wait is that $15 on top of the $10 regular shipping?

Also this coupon code I got from a retro gaming discord saves $5

YEJJD

Yeah on top of it. Shipping was 25 bucks total but at least I didn’t pay sales tax :v:

Warbird posted:

How’s the buying experience? I’m used to getting stuff from random folks in China due to hating money and mechanical keyboards so I’m curious how it shapes up.

I don’t think anyone has gotten theirs yet but giving money was easy!

So far the entire experience gets a 50/100, which is almost a D!

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I’m going to wait 6 months until we get some trip reports before I buy, but I really hope these are sweet. I’d rather buy one of these for $100 than try to track down an advance and a flash cart to play mother 3.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any comparisons to what the screen quality is going to be like?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

There's some youtube videos showing game play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDJfi3CrmQ8
^^That guy's channel has a few including showing how lovely Conker's Bad Fur Day plays.

Supposedly this guy's videos are recorded from the retroid via a screen capture device (the retroid has an hdmi out so that seems plausible)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe7YOgx2vmblbEUUo-JgSnQ/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

And I bet you can find more on youtube.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I’m going to wait 6 months until we get some trip reports before I buy, but I really hope these are sweet. I’d rather buy one of these for $100 than try to track down an advance and a flash cart to play mother 3.

There are so many GBA games I missed by not having one back in the day.

I love my Switch but I hate Nintendo for drip feeding a tiny list of classic games you have to pay a subscription for. Just let me play Mario RPG you idiots, I’ll give you money!

Edit: also there are people that ordered the RP2 early and received it. They’re simply on a shipping hiatus until 8/25 when the new colors also ship. Some people on r/Retroid are posting pics and impressions of theirs.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 25, 2020

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Someone tell me which one to buy so that I can finally, finally play Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie (N64) on the go :homebrew: it has been my video game dream for the last two decades

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Rolo posted:

I sent the email about doing this yesterday and got a reply last night so we'll see how the DHL shipping method is.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Solid Cake posted:

Someone tell me which one to buy so that I can finally, finally play Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie (N64) on the go :homebrew: it has been my video game dream for the last two decades

Here's a guy playing Banjo Kazooie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRQik-3GFLo&t=113s

I'm taking this with a grain of salt though due to the fact that it's not a video of the console itself. :shrug:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh, I have a bunch of these! My main one is the RG350M:

Does basically everything up to the PSX, but no N64 support. Full metal casing which has a good weight to it and feels really nice in your hands, especially with the inset joysticks. There's a Rogue firmware out which is pretty great and I'm using a theme based off of SMT: Strange Journey. A little pricey, but great value and customization factors.

And here's a video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJpf_F2gHSI

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 25, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
According to reddit, there was official word that there’s a bit of slowdown at Retroid from covid and a flood of orders of the new colors but shipping should continue within a couple days.

If anyone gets a ship notification with any of the new retro/indigo units :justpost:

Rolo fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 29, 2020

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I've been building my rom collection in anticipation of getting this thing and found this rom hack thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877134

I've never touched a rom hack before and some of the ones mentioned through the thread (I'm going through chronologically) are really cool.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Thanks for sharing, I didn’t know which Mother 3 version to get because I’ve never played it but that thread seems to answer that.

Here’s some announcements, in picture form! Get those pinch to zoomers out.

Another announcement made on Reddit is that they’re shipping out 600 boxes a day starting today. Bittersweet news is that they were bombarded with roughly 10,000 orders when the cool retro colors dropped.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Rolo posted:

Thanks for sharing, I didn’t know which Mother 3 version to get because I’ve never played it but that thread seems to answer that.

Here’s some announcements, in picture form! Get those pinch to zoomers out.

Another announcement made on Reddit is that they’re shipping out 600 boxes a day starting today. Bittersweet news is that they were bombarded with roughly 10,000 orders when the cool retro colors dropped.

drat 10,000/600 per day is 16.6 days, and that's if they're working 7 day weeks.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Quoting from the pyf purchases thread

Fors Yard posted:

Just FYI to all the people considering Retroids they just added a handful of new color choices

Slimy Hog posted:

Though ordering now means you will probably have to wait until Oct at the earliest to get it.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

ETA Prime is good poo poo for stuff like this. I modded an Arcade1Up cab with one of his vids and he just got his unit in. He'll do a full emu video soon but you can see some more emulation on the system itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8go5kfS0Dw

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I feel like at this point the only ones worth getting are the RG350M or the Retroid Pocket 2. The RG350M is the absolute best of the lot for ergonomics and build quality, but it's significantly weaker than most other releases this year (although it handles everything up through PSOne just fine, a couple problem games per system aside), while the Retroid Pocket 2 is significantly more powerful but doesn't QUITE match the RG350M for controls.

There's also an RG351 on the way, but nobody knows when it's coming out and since it's based on the Odroid / RK2020 chipset, it's going to still be weaker than the Retroid Pocket 2.

Personally I'm happy with my RG350M, it does all the systems I want it to do well and I'm a real stickler for how a device feels, but I don't feel like you could go wrong with either device at this point.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The RP2 looks to be a real winner at $90 shipped.

The 350M is a pretty significant price jump IMO.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

MarcusSA posted:

The RP2 looks to be a real winner at $90 shipped.

The 350M is a pretty significant price jump IMO.

It absolutely is, but the build quality is fantastic and the general design and layout is pretty much perfect. How much that matters is gonna vary from person to person, but it's not nothing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sethsez posted:

It absolutely is, but the build quality is fantastic and the general design and layout is pretty much perfect. How much that matters is gonna vary from person to person, but it's not nothing.

Yeah I get that I really just think it should be closer too $100 IMO.

I have the 350 and it’s a fantastic device I just think at this point the 350M is a tad over priced.

TBH you can’t go wrong with either though.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Slimy Hog posted:

I would be surprised any of these things were EVER supported/updated.

I just ordered the Retroid Pocket 2, and I noticed on the page they're promising to update it to Android 8.1 on 10/25. So it'll at least be getting one update.

It also said they're open sourcing the Android 6 kernel, so depending on how portable that is (or if they open source the 8.1 version later), there may be community updates coming later. I know a lot of Android phones got updated way past what their manufacturers supported as long as their bootloaders were unlocked.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Here's some Steam Link footage on it. Obv network dependent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_sbgRGDS9k

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So I guess if something is shipping from China it’ll happen in the middle of the night in the US?

Should start seeing some shipping notifications soon.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Rolo posted:

So I guess if something is shipping from China it’ll happen in the middle of the night in the US?

Should start seeing some shipping notifications soon.

I guess they're shipping out ~600 orders each day and notifications are ~1-2 days delayed, so we should see ours soon!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Slimy Hog posted:

I guess they're shipping out ~600 orders each day and notifications are ~1-2 days delayed, so we should see ours soon!

Got my shipping confirmation last night! Paid extra for the DHL so we'll see how long it takes now.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

wandler20 posted:

Got my shipping confirmation last night! Paid extra for the DHL so we'll see how long it takes now.

When did you order? I did on 8/22 and nothing yet.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Rolo posted:

When did you order? I did on 8/22 and nothing yet.

8/24.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Oh drat! That's after I did! what color did you order?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Slimy Hog posted:

Oh drat! That's after I did! what color did you order?

NES color scheme (Retro).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m just going to assume that the indigo is extra popular then.