Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

kirbysuperstar posted:

it's always some psycho freak with windows 7 and a xeon cpu from 15 years ago

Hey! We aren't all like that!

most of us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
If the dumb fucks openly talked about having official sdk and a massive rom stash that's what Nintendo went for. The fact they actively worked to make roms work day one like totk and the like probably is what Nintendo used to say they were engaging in activity that violated the dcma because they legally couldn't have had those roms at the time. Having a massive stash of pirated roms, and a discord that had channels basically promoting piracy were a cherry on top.

I doubt the other switch emulator was this stupid on how they did development.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

It’s just too risky to be building emulators of current gen systems.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

If the dumb fucks openly talked about having official sdk and a massive rom stash that's what Nintendo went for. The fact they actively worked to make roms work day one like totk and the like probably is what Nintendo used to say they were engaging in activity that violated the dcma because they legally couldn't have had those roms at the time. Having a massive stash of pirated roms, and a discord that had channels basically promoting piracy were a cherry on top.

Yeah this is why I don't look at this as some sky is falling moment on emulation as a whole, Nintendo have never really gone after emulators or even rom sites unless they were making money off them. Even with Dolphin they only blocked it from being on Steam, they did nothing to stop it existing. Yuzu's devs were just some of the dumbest dollar signs in their eyes motherfuckers in the scene, which ties into them settling this as quickly as humanly possible.

mystes posted:

I'm inclined to believe this means there were reasons they knew they were hosed

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dsemu.drastic

drastic is currently free for unspecified reasons

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Nintendo had gathered plenty of poo poo to bring against the Yuzu devs, but there's a core central argument that really has nothing to do with their direct engagement in or support of piracy.

The reason they violated the DMCA is because the DMCA has explicit provisions against circumventing copy protection measures, including encryption. Yuzu necessarily breaks encryption to run - if you've ever provided a Switch emulator with the prod.keys file it needs to run commercial games, that's what you've helped it do. The argument is that what Yuzu is doing still violates the DMCA, even if the user has to provide the keys.

Just to make it clear: this is how every Switch emulator works. This argument can be applied to all of them even if the developers take a hard airtight anti-piracy stance.

The fact that this was settled means at least it did not set a legal precedent. But there's no reason to expect Nintendo not to go after any other Switch emulation engine that gets big enough, unless it is somehow done in a way that doesn't violate DMCA provisions.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the obvious loophole there would be to define a pre-decrypted format for switch games, so the liability for doing the decryption is lifted out of the emulator into some separate tool

or re-encrypt the games with a set of keys that nintendo doesn't own if that's easier

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 5, 2024

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
How easy is it to decrypt the Switch games?

Is it a matter of decrypting them and uploading the new version?

Or you need some kind of NSA computer to decrypt Mario?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

easy since the switch has been hacked inside out and the decryption keys can just be pulled out of the firmware

if the switch weren't hacked it would be basically impossible, that will be the first bottleneck to emulating the switch 2, you cant get at the games without those keys

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

zzMisc posted:

The reason they violated the DMCA is because the DMCA has explicit provisions against circumventing copy protection measures, including encryption. Yuzu necessarily breaks encryption to run - if you've ever provided a Switch emulator with the prod.keys file it needs to run commercial games, that's what you've helped it do. The argument is that what Yuzu is doing still violates the DMCA, even if the user has to provide the keys.
It's an unfortunately messy situation and short of either (i) a clear and explicit anti-circumvention exception for emulation, or (ii) case law setting precedent for acceptable DRM circumvention in the scope of emulation, I don't think there's one obvious approach that emulators can do today.

If you go back to the days of DVDs and DeCSS, the key difference there is that DVD copy protection was optional--there were/are DVDs manufactured (particularly, "region 0" ones) with no copy-protection/DRM on them. So an unlicensed software-based DVD player alone didn't run afoul of the DMCA anti-circumvention clause since there was an obvious, legitimate use for that software to play back unprotected discs. Software that circumvented DVD copy protection by stripping the DRM and turning them into effective unprotected discs was, thus, squarely the concern of DMCA anti-circumvention. Thus the approach at the time was to separate the DVD-playback software from the DRM-stripping software and ship them as separate components.

The problem with the Switch (and all Nintendo consoles since at least the Wii) is that copy-protection/DRM is inherent to the medium. There's no licensed Switch software available that's not protected, so there's no obvious software target to design an emulator against to enable it to play "unprotected" works only. You could, in theory, replace any use of a cryptographic cipher in a Switch emulator with a null-cipher, and use it with a dumped image with any encrypted contents pre-decrypted, but Nintendo may well still argue that this revised system exists solely to circumvent its DRM and thus, falls under anti-circumvention even if technically there's no longer cryptographic operations happening within the emulator itself. Whether or not this is a better approach than "bring your own keys" is unclear.

Alternatively, since the law generally is favorable to completing implementations, this functionality may be regarded as inherent to an emulator, and since another layer of circumvention is still required to obtain the software in the first place, its use in an emulator is OK? Again, it's unclear.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The problem with the Switch (and all Nintendo consoles since at least the Wii) is that copy-protection/DRM is inherent to the medium.

Thank you, all of that is interesting to think about & it makes me wonder how much of the current landscape of DRM-focused gaming distribution is specifically intended to lean into anti-circumvention legislation like the DMCA.. but I'm probably betraying a US-centric bias there, I don't know how many other countries (particularly Japan) have something like that.

It's of course always an issue how fast technology moves compared to the laws around it, and I wonder if it could be argued that the DMCA is essentially unintentionally overreaching.. in the current environment in the US though I'd fully expect most courts to side with the corporate overlords.

When the suit was first brought up I couldn't help thinking it might be Nintendo's end goal to get some form of broad "emulation vs corporate interests" in front of the supreme court, eventually. Assuming the current court makeup that would almost certainly go very badly for all of us, but I might just be being paranoid.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

zzMisc posted:

but I'm probably betraying a US-centric bias there, I don't know how many other countries (particularly Japan) have something like that.

the japanese company which made 3DS capture cards had to shut down because their anti-modding laws are so broad that a mod like that which doesn't enable any kind of piracy was technically illegal

iirc it's also illegal to rent out physical games there

basically don't do anything that nintendo doesn't like because it's probably illegal

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

zzMisc posted:

and I wonder if it could be argued that the DMCA is essentially unintentionally overreaching..
It was overreaching by design.

The folks who drafted the DMCA legislation 25 years ago knew that DRM measures would eventually be cracked, in part because they always have, and in part because crypto regulations at the time made contemporary DRM quite weak. The DMCA, thus, provided a mechanism by which to make certain software contraband even if there was legitimate (non-infringing, fair use, etc.) uses of them.

People at the time were not happy with the anti-circumvention clause. Since its passing, the ESA has consistently lobbied to not allow exceptions for video games despite multiple generations of consoles no longer being sold and their digital storefronts shutdown.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Gonna be real, the number of times I've turned my Switch on in the last year has been in the single digits and at least half of those was to the benefit of a nephew.

A remake of Thousand Year Door is not going to make me run to the thing again.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

coconono posted:

It’s just too risky to be building emulators of current gen systems.

Sure but, as someone who owns the thing, the Switch isn't current gen by any means.

It's been needing a new iteration since like, three years after it came out.

(I know I'm being pedantic, sorry).

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Agree. The switch lite hardware needs a serious boost. Like a gpu backpack.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Does anyone else who has an Anbernic RG ARC-D or RG ARC-S been able to get images to work on the stock OS? No matter what I name them in the images folder it doesn't seem to show the games art in the game browser. I thought it had to be the name of the rom with -image appended, but that didn't do it.

I'm so sick of trying to janitor this thing, that i'm just considering getting a Miyoo Mini Plus with Onion and Tiny Best Set. Is that easier to setup by comparison?

Granted i'll miss the six face buttons and d-pad, but i'm tired of just trying to set this thing up :-(

frogbs fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 7, 2024

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

frogbs posted:

Does anyone else who has an Anbernic RG ARC-D or RG ARC-S been able to get images to work on the stock OS? No matter what I name them in the images folder it doesn't seem to show the games art in the game browser. I thought it had to be the name of the rom with -image appended, but that didn't do it.

I'm so sick of trying to janitor this thing, that i'm just considering getting a Miyoo Mini Plus with Onion and Tiny Best Set. Is that easier to setup by comparison?

Granted i'll miss the six face buttons and d-pad, but i'm tired of just trying to set this thing up :-(

Skraper works, and custom firmware which has scraping built in has almost reached stable release. Join the Anbernic discord!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Skraper is pretty good, I like how you can customise the design of the thumbs, but it really needs a way to go through the games it can't find and manually specify it like with other box art scrapers

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

frogbs posted:

Quit using the stock OS and switch to JELOS

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

frogbs posted:

I don’t have the ARC but assuming it’s like every other ES-based handheld you need entries in the gamelist.xml file (within each system’s ROM folder) for each image, it doesn’t just automatically look for [gamename]-image. Unless you happen to be good at scripting things or only have a handful of ROMs this’ll be way too much work to do manually.

The built-in scraper or using Skraper on a PC sets this up for you. But AFAIK switching to Jelos won’t magically make it detect those files, it’s still based on the gamelist.xml file.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

drrockso20 posted:

Quit using the stock OS and switch to JELOS

I didn't think JELOS worked on the RG ARC?

Froist posted:

I don’t have the ARC but assuming it’s like every other ES-based handheld you need entries in the gamelist.xml file (within each system’s ROM folder) for each image, it doesn’t just automatically look for [gamename]-image. Unless you happen to be good at scripting things or only have a handful of ROMs this’ll be way too much work to do manually.

The built-in scraper or using Skraper on a PC sets this up for you. But AFAIK switching to Jelos won’t magically make it detect those files, it’s still based on the gamelist.xml file.

Oh wow, that blows! I guess i'll look at using Skraper or whatever the Mac equivalent is.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Mar 7, 2024

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

JELOS doesn't have an ARC specific version made but the ARC uses the same internals as the RG353 series devices so I can't imagine it wouldn't run on the ARC, you might have to do some tweaking after setup to account for the different button layout(and lack of analog sticks) though

I could be horribly wrong though, if it won't work then yeah toss the fucker and get a device that has proper 3rd party CFW support*, at this point if it's a Linux based handheld that's probably the single most important thing one of these devices can have

*which is why I ended up buying a Miyoo Mini+ last week, not in the right state of mind to get my RP4P properly setup(cause doing anything with Android on these kind of devices is soul draining) and I've come to find the options the RG35XX has for CFW to be too limited in nature for my liking either so I got a MM+ since I've found Onion to be one of the easier ones to use(and while I have an original model Miyoo Mini, I find that one to actually be a bit too small for my liking)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The Arc does have 3rd party CFW support

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Alan_Shore posted:

The Arc does have 3rd party CFW support

It looks like Retro Arena and GammaOS are the only current options. I've heard Saturn emulation is worse than the stock OS in both, so I guess i'm sticking with what it shipped with for now.

Working on setting up Skraper, i'm assuming it will create gamelist.xml for me?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Looks like JELOS has effectively killed itself off as an extreme overreaction to the Yuzu/Citra situation

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah, the JelOS statement reads as if they're tired of doing this and scaling down, but using the Yuzu thing as a bit of an excuse, which does seems a tad excessive

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
I literally just got an RGB30 and was hoping I can get away with doing minimal tinkering on it

Guess I'll have to install arkos

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

drrockso20 posted:

Looks like JELOS has effectively killed itself off as an extreme overreaction to the Yuzu/Citra situation

No, they’ve just said they’re not doing firmware specifically for manufacturers any more. They’ll still maintain ones that exist and continue developing it for devices they buy and it can always be compiled for other devices. It could just as much be them being sick of dealing with companies.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

neosloth posted:

I literally just got an RGB30 and was hoping I can get away with doing minimal tinkering on it

Guess I'll have to install arkos

You're not missing much, RGB30 ArkOS is just as performant and has better default settings anyway

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

njsykora posted:

They’ll still maintain ones that exist and continue developing it for devices they buy and it can always be compiled for other devices.

They are dropping support for a bunch of models that they currently support (e.g. RGB30), and have already gone back and deleted all the existing builds. Using the Yuzu/Citra situation feels like an excuse when those emulators aren't even part of the distribution on half the devices they've just dropped.

I get it, I'm a software dev myself and wouldn't want to/have the time to deal with all the user requests on a project like this, and they don't owe the community anything when this is a free time project for them. But it's not the first time (I think third?) they've reverted to the "if you want it just build it yourself" mentality, which just isn't feasible for a lot of users of these handhelds.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Froist posted:

I get it, I'm a software dev myself and wouldn't want to/have the time to deal with all the user requests on a project like this, and they don't owe the community anything when this is a free time project for them. But it's not the first time (I think third?) they've reverted to the "if you want it just build it yourself" mentality, which just isn't feasible for a lot of users of these handhelds.

And this is the exact reason I went with ArkOS on my 353m. I couldn't trust them to keep updates available to me. Like you point out, they can handle it however they want, especially for free time work, but it almost feels needlessly abrasive to those who don't have the same tools.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

In honour of a real one

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

frogbs posted:

Working on setting up Skraper, i'm assuming it will create gamelist.xml for me?

Ok, Skraper is pretty cool. For some reason though my RG Arc doesn't see my second SD card sometimes after I've added new roms or updated gamelist.xml. It's like it randomly just decides to ignore it. I tried wiping the card and starting over, but it eventually started doing it again. Super weird. Maybe it doesn't support roms in .zip files or something? Gonna try that next I guess.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Skraper does indeed rule and I'll be doing it that way moving forward instead of download it directly on the device. Still took a long-rear end time but I feel a lot more confident that it's actually going to finish while running in the background on my PC.

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
Daijisho doesn't have a favorites list? I can mark a game as a favorite but how do I go see them all?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

PleasantDilemma posted:

Daijisho doesn't have a favorites list? I can mark a game as a favorite but how do I go see them all?

You can’t see them all across all systems AFAIK, but you can see just your NES favourites for example. On the main system select view you can hit the “4 favorite” button at the bottom, or at the game list it moves to the top.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Replaying Order of Ecclesia. Man I wish there was a mod that changes the weapon names to what weapon it is so I don’t have to memorize gibberish or read every description to find the hammer or whatever.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Look at the little pictures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Still involves having to scroll through them to find something on a list because they named the sword something like SECARE