Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Slimy Hog posted:

I would be surprised any of these things were EVER supported/updated.

I just ordered the Retroid Pocket 2, and I noticed on the page they're promising to update it to Android 8.1 on 10/25. So it'll at least be getting one update.

It also said they're open sourcing the Android 6 kernel, so depending on how portable that is (or if they open source the 8.1 version later), there may be community updates coming later. I know a lot of Android phones got updated way past what their manufacturers supported as long as their bootloaders were unlocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Rolo posted:

Retroid 2 owners, I totally botched my Retroarch config file because it’s set to auto save on quit.

Can anyone find a way to share the stock config file that came with the system?

On PC, you can just delete the config file and it’ll regenerate with the defaults next time you start it up. Can you access it in the file system on Android?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Well, turned out I’m not super happy with my Retroid Pocket 2 (haven’t found a front end I’m happy with, and the lack of consistent hot keys between different emulators bothers me), so of course I did the logical thing and ordered an ODroid Go Super as soon as I saw the link.

https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-go-super-dim-gray/

Basically the same deal as the ODroid Go Advance (and its many clones), but with a bigger screen. And it looks like there are a lot of OS options since it’s all the same hardware.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

The United States posted:

For anyone who wants a horizontal dual analog handheld with a 640x480 4:3 screen and the same RK3326 chip as the 351p/m/v and all the OGA clones, there's this upcoming GAMEFORCE abomination

There's also the ODroid Go Super, which has a 5 inch 854×480 screen and looks a bit like a Switch Lite.

I've got one, and I haven't played with it much yet, but no complaints so far.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

The United States posted:

That's not 4:3 that's 16:9 :(

It doesn't stretch though, you just have black borders on the edges. Smaller ones for GBA.

I mean, you could stretch it if you really want to, but it's mostly for menus and bezels.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

SchnorkIes posted:

The 64 gig card comes with the goofiest romset ever, Dreamcast stuff it can't run more than a few fps, Pokemon romhacks, etc

Premade images almost always suck. I've tried a few on Retropie setups, and they almost always have arcade games set to the wrong emulator, games listed twice because they left original and revision 1 ROMs on there (with no differences listed in the title), and all kinds of other nonsense. They seem to go for the biggest number of games regardless of quality.

I've been building sets for myself that I can just copy from device to device so I don't have to deal with that stuff.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Declan MacManus posted:

boat meme and electronics scalper meme are fun to laugh at until they affect me!! :mad:

i feel bad for any small scale electronics company trying to make things work right now

Yeah, I work in a cell phone repair store, and apparently one of the components that's in short supply is used in iPhone XR & 11 screens, because those are currently super hard to get.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

The RG552 is coming, apparently. 5 inch screen, new SOC, and it looks like it can handle PSP without breaking a sweat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqk5wXxObdY

Everything else I can find (basically this article) is theoretical and vague, but nice to see a power bump on these things.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Rolo posted:

I think it’s 800+ bucks but I like how good these are starting to look.

If they drop an ultra powerful 4:3 that can do everything up to PS2/GC I’d seriously consider it but I have no interest in emulating anything newer than that so a 16:9 screen feels like a waste of real estate.

It's a bit big, but the iPad 3/4 LCDs seem to be popular for emulation. You can even build a mini-"CRT" with the right shell.

They're apparently either 4:3 or close to it, high res and low latency, and the LCDs and controller boards are widely available.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

LODGE NORTH posted:

In short, the Retroid can do more but it doesn’t do them nicely. The things the RG351 series does well more than makes up for missing out on some PS1 and Dreamcast.

Yeah, I abandoned my RP2. All I want is it to boot into a frontend and have consistent button commands for menu, exit games, etc, and everything is flaky at best once you start getting into other emulators besides Retroarch.

What I'd really want to do is ditch Android and just load Batocera or Lakka or something on it, but that's not an option.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Stefan Prodan posted:

Can you give some examples? I'm trying to think of like PS1/N64 games or earlier that I would want two sticks for

I feel like for N64, I would want the second stick to swap in for the c-buttons, since it's only got 4.

And twinstick arcade games like Robotron or Smash TV would play better on 2 sticks.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

drrockso20 posted:

to back up my statement here is a video ETA Prime just posted that proves my point that if you aren't looking for a handheld the best solution is probably an secondhand PC of semi-recent nature;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XONKVZf0m6o

I picked up a Lenovo with the same CPU, and Batocera runs nicely on it. It seems to be able to handle PS2 and light PS3, Wii, and I’ve even had luck with XBox. And Windows games as long as they’re not too demanding and compatible with WINE.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Lockback posted:

Except the storage is a big question mark. The $399 model has 64GB of eMMC which seems crappy. You'd think you'd really want a NVME which doesn't appear to be an option unless you shell out $500. They have a microSD slot so you won't get VITA'd but depending on what you're doing that may not be a great option.

I'm mostly wondering if you can open it up and swap the eMMC or SSD for a bigger one. Hopefully there'll be a teardown sooner rather than later.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

I just really hate using Android for everything. I tried it on the RP2, and it's just not a consistent experience with everything having different menus and hotkeys and everything.

I wish I could load up something Retropie or Batocera on these things. On something like the Steam Deck, I could either run Batocera, or go with a Windows/Launchbox setup (that's kind of a pain to set up initially, but works great after that), but even with the frontends I've tried for Android, it doesn't feel like a dedicated game machine.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

LODGE NORTH posted:

If you get something a bit more powerful, it can probably run Pegasus paired with gameOS. https://github.com/PlayingKarrde/gameOS That's what I have on everything that runs Android except the RP2 because it's such a shitshow there. Honestly, the RP2 looks cool, but that's kinda where the train stops for me. ]

The RP2 may have success running gameOS if you use the DIG version. I haven't tried myself or even watched this video, but I saw it when looking for a quick pic of gameOS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR_vyvESEfc

I was able to use Dig, my main problem was exiting emulators. If I used the home button, it doesn't close the emulator so if I try to launch another game that uses the same one, it doesn't work. And everything in Retroarch was fine, but trying to set up other emulators to use the same hotkeys for opening menus and exiting really didn't work. Having spent weeks setting up a Windows-based arcade cabinet and another Windows console HTPC (with about 30 DS4Windows profiles to make sure various games & emulators work consistently), and still constantly tweaking them, I get way too frustrated dealing with that.

I think right now I'll wait and see if the 64gb Steam Deck also has the SSD slot (hopefully they didn't design two separate boards), that plus a new drive would likely be everything I would want.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

I’ve repaired some pretty difficult phones and tablets, as long as they don’t have some kind of glued down plastic parts, I’m sure it’ll be doable. Thinking about preordering the 64Gb now.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Lester Shy posted:

I think I'm gonna return my RG351P. It works great, feels good to hold and does exactly what it's supposed to, but it just murders my eyes; I really underestimated how small the screen is. I've been spoiled by the Switch and huge phones. It doesn't help that most of the stuff I want to play is text-heavy. I may just have to wait for the Steam Deck.

There's always the ODroid Go Super if you just want something around the same level with a bigger screen.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

kirbysuperstar posted:

You can get (at least I know for sure) S1/2/CD working fine on 351Elec, though it requires yanking the binaries from ark (easy), copying a library over that Elec doesn't have (also easy), and changing the .sh to have Elec friendly paths. You also might need to use a script to uh..actually have an exit hotkey. I might actually work on that tomorrow and get them nice and packaged. I should look at SK and Spelunky also while I'm at it.

I literally just submitted a PR to Batocera to get the Sonic ports added, too. Should be in the next v32 beta.

It's pretty seamless for this one - make folders under roms/sonicretro named [whatever].son for Sonic 1/2, and [whatever].scd for CD. Toss the Data.rsdk in the folder, add the videos folder to CD if you want, and go. The exit hotkey works out of the box.

I've seen SK running on a Pi by using the Linux port and Box86, not sure how it'll run on other platforms.

TVs Ian fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 5, 2021

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

RichterIX posted:

Yeah, I'm a cheapskate so I'm always more interested in seeing "this aliexpress thing for $100 is actually insanely good" vs "this $1500 gaming box runs Gamecube great!!!"

I mean, you can get used sff PCs for like $100-$250. I just picked up a Lenovo M715Q with a Ryzen 2400GE for about $250, and I'm waiting for a bigger drive to show up but at least Scott Pilgrim for PS3 ran at full speed with Batocera on it. I've also got a 710 with a 7th gen i3 that I'm planning on setting up for a relative. And these things (along with their Dell and HP equivalents) are big enough to hold a 2.5" drive (and some newer ones like these have m.2 SSD slots too) but otherwise plenty small.

This is basically going to be my portable box for bringing games and movies places.

Even something a few years old is pretty capable, PS2 is where it starts to get a little iffy depending on the game. Just as long as it's not the old Athlon processors, I tried one of those and it choked on DS.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

kirbysuperstar posted:

what the heck

Game Roomba.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Walla posted:

My Vita and 3DS feel too small sometimes. Anything smaller I wouldn't be able to use.

On topic, what's the best solution for Saturn emulation that's under $300? It doesn't even have to be a portable, it just needs decent emulation speed for Saturn/GameCube with the PS2 and Wii being nice bonuses.

If you want GameCube, probably a cheap used mini PC. Something like an HP Elitedesk or Lenovo Thinkcentre with a 4th gen or higher Intel or a Ryzen CPU (I’d avoid the other AMD processors, they don’t perform that well). Load Batocera on it and you’re all set.

I’ve been able to do up to PS3 on a Thinkcentre M710q with an i3-7100 and an M715q with a Ryzen 5 2400GE. Both were under $300, the M710q was only $150.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

And it seems likely the jailbreak will get rid of the "needs a cartridge" requirement.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Marzzle posted:

can you play sonic mania on any 3rd party handhelds?

Closest you can get right now are the Sonic 1/2/CD ports from a few years back on some of them as far as I know. Not counting the x86 handhelds.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Odin Pro is just Android, right?

These reviews make me consider it, but I just really, really hate Android as a gaming-only OS. If I could install Batocera or something on it, I’d probably get one, but for now I think I’ll just wait for the Steam Deck.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

PlesantDilemma posted:

I've got another SD Card with Batocera now. PSP is going much better on this one, though I'm still only really trying with Disgaea. I can open the menu here with Select+B. What is odd is that the analog input is inverted. When I open the PPSSPP menu and re-map, it works. But it forgets the controller mapping when the emulator closes.

Batocera regenerates the config file every time it launches (mostly for systems that would use external controllers), so changes made inside the emulator don’t stick.

If the input is inverted only in one emulator that’s a bug, you should probably report it either on the Discord, forum, or GitHub. V34 is winding down the beta cycle, so maybe someone can get to it before the final.

If it’s happening in other emulators, reconfiguring the controls in Emulation Station should fix it.

I don’t know who has access to the same device, but I’m sure one of the other devs does or it wouldn’t be supported.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Just got what I think is a shipping notification for an Odin. I've been doing a lot of work on Batocera and got offered one, and there was an email from DHL saying something is arriving from China on Friday. Apparently the guy in charge hasn't gotten anything yet, hopefully somebody who can handle the actual port part gets one soon so I can work on the optimizing side of it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Vakal posted:

Does emulation for the original Xbox exist at all? I don't think I've seen any of these handheld testing videos ever mention it.

Yes, but only for x86 based systems currently. Not sure if the current plans for Batocera on the Odin include XBox, but even if it compiles for ARM, I’m guessing performance won’t be great.

But if you got a Steam Deck or one of the other portable PC-type devices, sure.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Coffee And Pie posted:

I bought a micro hdmi for my RP2+, and it looks great, but I can’t figure out a way to get my controller running. I’m using a wired xbone controller with a USB to USB-C converter, and it’s not responsive at all. Any suggestions?

Good luck with that. The XBox Series controllers are hit or miss on anything not an XBox or Windows. The drivers are different and can be flaky if it even works at all. You’d have better luck with the older style XBox One controller or an 8Bitdo or something.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Medullah posted:

So I got a steam deck because I am fiscally irresponsible, and I really want to do emulation on it. Have any of you dipped your toes in it? I tried RetroArch from both the Steam store and the Discover version and neither recognize the controller.

I don’t have a Steam Deck, but try this, I’ve heard good things.

https://www.emudeck.com/

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

It’s possible that it can run, but the developer hasn’t approved it on that CPU or screen size.

You could always try downloading the apk/obb and install that way if you wanted to try. There are ways to download it from the Play store and not rely on questionable sites.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

coconono posted:

I think it’s a hustle to keep the factories running for as long as possible.

Some of these things use old parts that they were able to get a good deal on - Vita OLEDs, Blackberry Bold LCDs, old SoCs, etc. So they’ll design a handheld to use up whatever they’ve got, and unless it’s a wild success and worth sourcing more parts, they’ll make a new one to use whatever the next cheap parts are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

MonkeyforaHead posted:

It's been like 15 years since I dared try to dip my toes back into arcade emulation and how has this process only gotten so much more idiotic, convoluted, segmented, and broken in that span :psypop:

The big problem is that you have to keep the ROMs in sync with the emulator. As previous bad dumps are replaced and undumpable chips are read, old rom sets drift away from what the emulator is looking for. Plus ROMs are typically split between a parent and clone ROMs for different regions etc - they tend to share most of the same files, so the zips get split up to save space. But if you copy just the clone rom, it won’t run without the parent and possibly bios or device ROMs.

The trick for that is to find a non-merged set (every clone zip also includes needed ROMs from the parent), plus a set of bios/device ROMs.

There are programs to scan and rebuild rom sets for specific versions of MAME (and other emulators), and let you know what you’re missing.

Another part of problem with arcade emulation is that the handhelds don’t typically have enough power to run MAME (which prioritizes accuracy over speed), so there are Retroarch cores based on old versions of MAME. The plus side is the ROMs for those old versions don’t change, and the sets are out there. The down side is that they have 20-year old bugs & missing featured in the emulation. And the Retroarch porting tends to be kind of half-assed.

Honestly, on handhelds and SBCs, you’re probably better off just using FBNeo, since that emulates most of the same games as the old MAME versions but prioritizes speed.

On a PC, you’re looking at:
Current MAME for everything up to early 3D
Model 2 emulator for Sega Model 2
Supermodel for Sega Model 3
Most Dreamcast emulators support Naomi/Naomi 2 and Atomiswave
Demul is currently the one emulator that supports Sega Hikaru if you really need to play Planet Harriers or something.

After that, pretty much everything is Windows-based hardware. And that’s where it gets complicated. Games were built for a specific set of hardware and Windows versions, and the “emulators” for those basically trick the exe into thinking that’s what it’s running on. With mixed success - some games that were designed around AMD graphics may not run right on nVidia and vice versa. Some games have patches for that, and to run at other resolutions, etc.

If you wanted to start digging into that, Teknoparrot supports most of them, there are also a couple of others that will support some platforms like Taito Type X, but that’s where you start running into intentional roadblocks from some of the authors.