Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
Been fiddling with mine for the past four or five days. Using the Retroid OS is definitely the easiest way to just hop in and play but also pretty limiting in a lot of ways. I tried setting up Reset Collection as well as customizing Dig for frontends, but ultimately just doing everything in Retroarch seems like the best choice. Reset Collection populates VERY slowly every time you open it up, and Dig is fine but it's just jumping over to Retroarch (or whatever emulator you are using) when you launch a game. Swapping the menu interface for Retroarch from XMB to Ozone, which looks a bit like the Nintendo Switch OS, feels a bit cleaner and easier as well. Note that for PSX games, playlists won't populate from scanning if you are using .pbp files. Only works if you're using .cue/.bin. You have to build a manual playlist for PSX titles or do "Load Content" manually for them.

It's definitely not as simple of a user experience as something like Emulation Station on Raspberry Pi devices, but the device itself runs great. Feels like we're another year or so away from something that feels as good and easy as a NES/SNES Mini UI out of the box which, honestly, I'd pay a bit more for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Heads up for anyone considering an RP2, your experience may vary but it has slight input lag that is game breaking for me. It's fine for games that are less twitchy, but no every NES/SNES platformer feels off. Supposedly this is a common issue across Android based portable emulators, which is surprising seeing as the community seems to be pushing more in that direction due to emulators running more efficiently on slower hardware when using Android. RP2 is set to get an update from Android 6 to Android 8 in late October, so I'm hoping that addresses the issue. My understanding is that the Linux based systems (i.e. RG350) don't have this issue, so I'll be ordering one to test that out.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Pretty good posted:

Is there anything that fulfils all of the following:

a) good dpad placement
b) quality pad/buttons
c) linux based and/or no input lag
d) 640x480
e) good PS1 support

Or is this like a "pick three" type situation right now?

Based on what I'm seeing it's a "pick three" at the moment. People really hoped that the RG351P would knock it out of the park but the screen resolution is low. My guess is we might see a higher screen resolution with the (assumed) RG351M as they did with the RG350P vs M series. PS1 support is good to go on the RG351P but N64, Dreamcast and PSP support seems dicey. I'm definitely in the same boat though. The RP2 is really great but between the input lag and the rattling dpad, I'll probably end up selling it.

roobots fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 22, 2020

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Rolo posted:

Now that I have it properly running, the only downside in that list I’m hitting is placement.

At the moment I’m catching up on ~2 decades of Pokémon so using the stick isn’t an issue. I legit cannot pick up any input delay though, specifically in ps1 games. I’m already at the 5th level in Parappa.

I need to test out some PS1 games, but if I recall correctly more modern consoles are less sensitive to input lag than old ones like the NES/SNES. Maybe somewhere along the line I messed something up, but testing any 2D Mario game or Mega Man game there's always about a 2 frame lag that makes precision platforming a real headache.

Also yeah if you can get your hands on a PS Vita, those things are perfect little emulation machines.

roobots fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 22, 2020

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Just got an RG350P in today for testing and immediately I like it more than the RP2 for 2D games. The UI is incredibly fast, no input lag, and easy setup and swapping between emulators. The D-pad placement and quality feel much better as well. This is definitely making me lean towards an RG351 as my main portable handheld, I’ll just have to accept that some N64 and Dreamcast gaming will be out of my reach.

That said, if the input lag isn’t noticeable to you and you’re looking for more reliable N64 and Dreamcast emulation the RP2 is the cheaper, stronger option. Running on Android it will probably receive more aggressive updates as well.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

I reached out to Retro Dodo regarding early 351P experiences with PSP/N64/DC performance being all over the place and got this interesting response. Also, Anbernic now has a store up on eBay where you can buy replacement parts including the RG350M screen for $30. Supposedly it's a fairly easy swap on the RG350P, so if the RG351P is the same it might be a way to check off all your boxes without waiting for an RG351M release.

I also reached out to Anbernic support via eBay to see if the installation process for the RG350M screen should be as easy on the 351P as it is on the 350P. I'll update once I hear from them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

roobots fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 23, 2020

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Meridian posted:

They both look great honestly. I was going to go with the RP2 for the layout alone until someone mentioned android having input lag issues. Don't know how true that is, was some rando on reddit.

I'm a bit of an outlier here, but I initially picked up an RP2 and couldn't deal with the input lag in games. Any twitchy platformers (Mario, Mega Man, etc.), especially 2D, felt off to me in a way I couldn't ignore. It's really minor, but I couldn't unfeel it. That said, outside of the laggy Android OS and a so-so out of the box user experience, it's a good handheld. I ultimately went with the 351P which feels way better and is easy to set up immediately. I think Anbernic just dropped the 351M if you really want metal, but I believe the screen res and everything else is the same as the as the 351P. I'd recommend ordering from somewhere you can easily make returns to try both the RP2 and the 351P and see which works better for you.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Fors Yard posted:

Sadly, I'm pretty convinced there is input lag on the RP2. I have only used RetroArch but I was playing Super Castlevania and it seemed a little harder than normal and I got to the screen below and died over and over. I'd just fall through the second platform. After trying, I would have to press jump just before I landed on the platform timed just right. I just tried it on zsnes with a Buffalo USB controller and that part played as I remembered it.

If you can find it somewhere with easy returns I definitely recommend trying to RG351 if you're feeling lag on the RP2. I had the same experience and I'm definitely enjoying the RG351 a lot more.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Meridian posted:

How does it do with GBA/PSX?

Perfect GBA machine due to it matching GBA's 3:2 screen ratio. PSX performance is rock solid.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

The United States posted:

Looks like the Trimui got improved and price dropped, which makes it competitive for an ultra tiny ultra slim portable in the $50~ category

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sifOcAqpQg8

This has got me very tempted to pick one up, but the lack of a headphone jack is making me hesitate. I'd love something solid like this with no analog stick that I can just slip into my pocket to use when I'm not using my 351P. The GKD Mini is rad looking but it looks like OS support on it is... rough.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Anyone have any experience with the GKD Mini? I love the aesthetics but I'm a little worried about whether or not it's comfortable and UI looks like it leaves a lot to be desired. I've been absolutely spoiled by how good the RG351P user experience is.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

351P owner and I only used wifi during my setup and scraping process via dongle. It's a pretty perfect portable retro console. I'm jealous of the 351V screen resolution but otherwise I think the P is a really solid choice.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

The wifi version of 351 let you let coop with 2 machines? Is it easy to setup coop between 2 machines?

Have they made a smaller version of 351 in smaller form factor?

There's the 280M, 280V and Anbernic is about to release the 300X, which are all worth looking at if you want something smaller. Both the 280M/V have a weaker chip in them (JZ4770) than the 351 unfortunately. I believe it's unconfirmed but the 300X may also be using that chip. In a perfect world Anbernic would just release a 281P with no analog sticks for ultimate pocketability.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

The point of the Playdate is really more of a cool indie developer art piece. It’s an experience. Looking at it with the normal expectations of a handheld is going to lead to disappointment. If I had extra cash lying around I’d snag one as a way to support the artists and Teenage Engineering. It’s good to encourage more experimental stuff like this, but this is 100% not attempting to be a mass appeal portable.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

teagone posted:

Ok cool. And yeah, I've noticed that while perusing 351p models, heh. Still undecided if Retroid Pocket 2 or the Anbernic RG351p is right for me. I also just noticed Anbernic has an official Ebay storefront.

I've beat this drum many times before in this thread, but as someone who owned both the RP2 and RG351P, I'd go with the RG351P hands down. Easier setup, better community support, snappy interface, better build quality. The RP2 looks great but menus were laggy, I noticed input lag in precise 2D platformers like Mario and Mega Man and it just never felt like it was working quite right. Anbernic stuff is just incredibly solid. If the 280M had EmuElec or another good front end support I would've picked up one of those as well by now.

LODGE NORTH posted:

As someone who has two Retroid Pocket 2s and hates them with a burning passion, please get the 351.

Edit: EFB, what Lodge said.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

As far as I've seen any of the weird Amazon listings work fine. Just make sure to get one that is Prime delivery so you can return it easily if they deliver something different. Amazon has actually had a few models for cheaper than Aliexpress/Taobao. I keep almost pulling the trigger on the 280M at $65 USD. Very tempting.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

remigious posted:

I saw it comes in a cute gradient color and that sealed the deal for me! Can’t wait to compare it to my 351p.

AND it's metal so it's really nice build quality. I just saw that you can do SimpleMenu and EmulationStation on the RG350 which, as far as I understand, is basically the same guts as the RG280M so I might be joining you in that purchase. I already have a 351P, Q90 and GKD Mini (in the mail) so uh... I don't NEED the 280M but...

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

zzMisc posted:

Wait, EmulationStation on the RG350? I have the RG280v (same guts I believe) and if I could get ES on it that might improve things dramatically. Where did you find that?

The problem though is I've tried retroarch on it and it's practically unplayable for everything, it just doesn't have the oomph. The standalone emulators work well, but have basically no options whatsoever, in particular for where to put saves which is a big problem for syncing. If ES on the 280v is set up properly with the standalone emus though, it'd be such a drastically better experience, and conceivably you could modify the launch scripts to move saves around..

Generally I honestly can't recommend the RG280/350 line because it's such a vastly worse experience than the 351, now that I've used both. But it'd be awesome if that changed.

(I swear I have more fun making these things work for me than I do actually playing games on them)

Good 'ol Retro Game Corps has a video on putting ES on the RG350.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDsnpDjIGo8

The 351P is such a good experience using 351Elec or ArkOS that it makes me loathe using standard Dingux firmware, so any way to avoid that user experience is a big plus. The only reason I snagged a GKD Mini is because I was able to get it cheapish ($65USD) on Taobao and aesthetically it's my favorite of all the devices I've seen. It'll largely be something to tinker with and really hope that someone swoops in with some good CFW support.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Yo for $99 the Retroid Pocket 2+ seems like a clear winner.

What’s the catch?

If this new software is good it fixes what was one of the worst aspects of the system. It was absolutely terrible to set up and incredibly slow. My only concern now is that I still haven't used an Android based retro device yet that doesn't have input lag. It's minor and doesn't seem to effect everyone but it makes 2D platformers impossible for me to enjoy. If that is also fixed, then the RP2+ looks like it's gonna be the thing to beat until Anbernic releases a competitor. I'm kicking myself for giving my RP2 to a friend as I could've just gotten away with a PCB upgrade, but oh well.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

The United States posted:

All of the new generation of more powerful handhelds are going to be Android based, it's inescapable

TBH this is what I'm afraid of. I'm hoping with more powerful chips frame delay and run ahead won't be as impactful to performance and will provide a suitable workaround. I tried using them on the RP2 and NES games were ok but SNES games dropped into unplayable frame rates. Even then, having to find the perfect settings to get rid of input lag on modern handheld devices seems like a hilarious problem to still exist so I hope newer Android handhelds address it some way.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Looks like Game Kiddy is running a Kickstarter for a new GKD Mini called the GKD Pro. Except, as far as I can tell, it's exactly the same as the GKD Mini except that it comes with a metal shell. Downside here is for $149 USD that is... pretty lame. Let's not even talk about them claiming an MSRP price of $259. On the bright side, maybe we'll actually see a new firmware for the GKD Mini that is fully in English. I'm one of the dummies who bought one due to its aesthetics (it's adorable. It looks like BMO) and I think it's actually a great little system but it desperately needs something similar to an Adam firmware made for it. Without good software it's a brick.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

zzMisc posted:

This sort of thing is why I've donated to techtoytinker (TheRA) and Christain Haitian (ArkOS) and think of that as part of the price when buying the rg351 anbernic devices. It would be kind of lovely if these companies profit off the hardware that only ends up being sold because of aftermarket support from devs working for free.

AFAIK the 351Elec people don't solicit donations or even have a way to donate; if you go to the "Contributing to 351Elec" section of their site it just talks about how to set up a build environment and contribute code. It kind of makes sense, I think 351elec as a whole is the product of a larger community rather than just the one lead.

The community that comes up around these devices is so amazing and I'm blown away at the value these developers add on a consistent basis. I know we've been spoiled by a few years of great pocket emulator devices but I definitely think the market is getting to a point where your stock OS has to really be at least decent. Anbernic has done a good job of making great out of the box devices that are fantastic to use even if you never touch the firmware or options. A lot of the other companies are still lagging behind here. And then the GKD Mini is over here with barely any English support.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Everyone out here buying the RG552 but I'm just waiting to hear if the Miyoo Mini is good or not :(

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

zzMisc posted:

Sorry to come off defensive, I thought you were being sarcastic. Often when I bring up input lag it gets dismissed like a non-issue.

I would really like to know for sure whether my concerns are justified or not, but the reviewers that have newer Android handhelds in their hands just don't seem interested in testing it. Maybe it actually isn't an issue at all but without reviewers mentioning it I can't know without holding one.

Input lag on Android devices has been my issue too, so I think the concern is legit. And you're right that pretty much no reviewer talks about it. I think it's just something that some people are sensitive to and some people are not and thus far the only solution I have found ordering any retro devices that run on Android via Amazon first if possible so I can easily return them. It's really only an issue with 16-bit era and before from my experience. Hopefully newer hardware will be strong enough to use run ahead and get rid of the lag without taking a frame rate hit.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

drat this is sold out already but looks drat good for the $50 (ish) price.

I really lucked out and ordered it a few days ago. I'm glad to see Taki liked it so much. I'll be curious to hear Russ' thoughts if he gets a hold of one. I'll def post my impressions once it comes in!

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Russ' Retroid Pocket 2+ review is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy_ue_DpRkw

This really looks like the device to beat for price to performance. Russ doesn't mention input lag for games directly, but he does talk about preferring one of the SNES9X cores over BSNES because it has run ahead for more responsive controls, so I'd imagine this has the same input lag issues on 16-bit games and older as the previous Retroid Pocket 2. While run ahead solved input lag on the older system, it also brought SNES games to a crawl. If it's stable here, this might still be a great option for people who are sensitive to input lag.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Just got my Miyoo Mini in and I think this replaces the 280V as my favorite small retro portable. The UI has some great features (sleep, easy save states, etc) and is easy to use out of the box. The biggest drawback is that it's a bit sluggish, but otherwise you could easily hand this off to anyone out of the box and they'd have a great time. The device feels incredibly solid and the screen looks amazing. The only real drawback so far to me is that shoulder buttons are a bit difficult for me to use. I have big hands and it's hard to push a shoulder button without pushing the entire devices towards my face. The most comfortable grip for me so far is resting my right finger against the length of the device to support it and curling my right pointer finger so it can hit the L shoulder buttons. Unfortunately, that takes the R shoulder buttons out of play.

Grip issues aside, it's really amazing for such a cheap device.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Lifepuzzler posted:

I just ordered one a few days ago, I'm looking forward to it. It seems like the perfect little pocket device for everything up to the 16-bit era. Or maybe even a little further, if the review videos are to be believed.

The Miyoo Mini is so good and OnionOS is so easy to use, I love it. My only complaint is that the Miyoo is a bit uncomfortable for me to use for long periods of time and any games that use shoulder buttons extensively are just really hard for me to play. OnionOS has spoiled me so much that I just want Miyoo to release a larger version of the Mini (Analogue Pocket clone plz) that can also run OnionOS.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

njsykora posted:

Anyway there's a rumour going around that the Miyoo Mini might be discontinued very soon because they can't source the screens for it in favour of a horizontal version with a slightly bigger screen. I have my doubts about how genuine the photo is, mostly because jesus christ stop putting out handhelds with only one analog stick for the love of god. It also doesn't seem like it'd be worth it to make a horizontal mini when they're supposed to be putting out an actual horizontal system in the P60 at some point.

If they change basically nothing except for making the Miyoo more comfortable to hold, I'm buying day one. The Miyoo Mini is such an excellent pick up and play experience with Onion OS, my hands just cant deal with it for more than 30 minutes at a time.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Got my Retroid Pocket 3 in today. It is definitely the best bang/buck ratio of any handheld out right now. It requires a few hours of tinkering to get set up right, and the occasional tweak after that as you run into things. I'll still go with my Miyoo Mini with OnionOS as the best user experience though. I desperately just want that pick up and playability on something more powerful and comfortable to hold like the RP3.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Rolo posted:

That’s 100% exactly what I wanted a month ago but now that I’ve got my RP3+ set up I can’t imagine jumping back to another handheld. It’s gone above my expectations as far as comfort, interface and quality goes.

I like it so much I’m actually playing video games on it.

This is how I feel about my RP3 (and why I'm tempted to get the RP3+). I'm finally actually playing games on one of these instead of just configuring them.

If a version of OnionOS comes out for the Anbernic Mini I might snag it as a smaller option. My Miyoo Mini is cool and OnionOS is fantastic but it's just way too small to comfortably hold.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

Rolo posted:

It took a lot of tinkering but I’m on hotel Wi-Fi in New Jersey playing Turtles in Time on my RP3+ with my buddy on his PC in North Carolina.

No lag and we both get trophies. This rules. Bubble Bobble is next.

Please explain these dark arts.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

njsykora posted:

The rumour was they're subsidising it behind the scenes to help Asus hit a price point equal to the Steam Deck, mostly because they want to maintain Windows' position as the default gaming OS even on handhelds. It's not something they're going to promote hard, but the Ally's marketing is putting the fact that it runs Windows front and center and if Microsoft are involved they'll probably have a few ads for Game Pass when it launches that quietly show the Ally being used to try and shake the Deck's position as default handheld PC. It kinda reminds me of old washing machine ads where manufacturers would have deals with detergent makers so they'd show each other in their ads without otherwise remarking on the partnership.

My biggest gripe with my steam deck is how I can't play all these free Game Pass games on it, so this is a smart direction for them to take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

https://x.com/miyoomini/status/1768287216797667592?s=20

Looks like we're getting closer to the Miyoo Flip coming out!