Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's a real shame about the resolution on the pocketsprite. 96x64 seems like a poor way to represent 160x144 even at eye-squinting smallness. FunKey seems a lot nicer in being able to do GB/GBA 1:1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bouillon Rube posted:

I recall there being one of these that has a Gameboy cart slot and can play GBA games natively. Anyone know which one that was?

There's the Revo K101 Plus, and then there's the Analogue Pocket on its way. One of those?

Manky fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 30, 2021

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

The United States posted:

Looks like the Trimui got improved and price dropped, which makes it competitive for an ultra tiny ultra slim portable in the $50~ category

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sifOcAqpQg8

The community support on the Trimui/Powkiddy A66 has really made it into a great device at its size and price, at least for me. The launchers and extra emus and ports improved my overall experience significantly. I've been using an A66 with the Minui launcher for a couple months, I've really enjoyed the good clicky buttons and being able to so easily slip it into a pocket.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does this have a headphone port?

The United States posted:

No. It claims to support usb-c headphones but...

Weedle posted:

it probably supports one specific model of usb-c earbuds that were packaged with a xiaomi phone in 2017

USB-C dongle / headphone support is actively being worked on right now by the launcher devs, fwiw. I lurk the "retro game handhelds" discord to keep an eye on releases and as of last night the author of Minui was asking people to test fixes aimed at improving USB-C headphone and adapter support. But if it's important to you, I'd definitely recommend waiting for confirmation that it's been sorted and your particular adapter is supported.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

njsykora posted:

Didn’t make, published those 2 games. House House made UGG and Campo Santo (RIP) made Firewatch

https://www.polygon.com/2013/10/2/4794332/panic-campo-santo-cabel-sasser
"backed by and made in collaboration with [Panic]"

The email from Cabel was bad. He did back down and apologize profusely soon after it hit twitter - but of course that doesn't mean it didn't happen, and you can feel as you like about him, the company, the handheld.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

If my goal is just to literally plug something into my TV so I can play PSX Final Fantasy Tactics with a bluetooth xbox controller, and I want to spend as little time customizing/setting up as possible, what is my go-to here? Retroarch on a RPI with bluetooth dongle?

Not interested at all in a long term solution to maintain, just want to play one game and then never touch this solution again.

You could use one of the newer Chromecasts for this, the ones marked Google TV. Only catch is you'll probably want to add in a USB-C PD hub.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

I happen to have one, I'm fascinated. Would I just be using a PSX emu apk?

You could, easier not to though it depends on how deep in the weeds you want to get with your emu setup. Here's some thoughts from my own messing around.

Easy route: Use an emulator from the play store. I tested Lemuroid quickly which is an easy-to-use frontend that uses pcsx rearmed for PS1. Pretty sure I saw ePSXe and FPse are also available. Once one of those is installed, you only need to worry about getting your game files over. I just plugged a microSD into the hub my Chromecast uses as well as a controller for testing. It picked my 8bitdo up as an xbox controller, seemed like no config required.

Hard and inconvenient route: Sideload Duckstation. Get your device ready following a guide like this and go get the apk for duckstation. It's a slightly better emulator (not to start an argument, I have no issues with those others) so I went the extra steps to get it installed. Annoyingly, once installed it doesn't show up with the other apps, I have to go into Settings - Apps - Show all apps every time I want to launch it. I also found a keyboard useful as I had to manually enter my secondary storage path in order to add it as a game directory.

Oh I see your other reply now, well I typed it all out already so there you go :D

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Boxman posted:

When I boot a PSX game I get told that I'm missing BIOS and that I should track 'em down for better compatibility. So far I've been rocking steady frame rates but I feel like maybe I want to address it before it makes a game I want to play all lovely? I copied over the Bios folder from the card that came with it, for what its worth.

Or is this a :filez: thing and I shouldn't be asking this question on these forums.

Sony considers them files I guess but easy to get em (and any other bios you need) from the emulation game tech wiki.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

My biggest problems with RetroArch for my N3DS XL is that I don't see a way to save video settings on a per-system basis.

For example, if using ScummVM to play Discworld, I have the screen set to 320x200, which is the game's original resolution, which looks fantastic on the N3DS XL.

However, when I go to play an SNES game or PS1 game, it looks terrible obviously because those systems use a different resolution than 320x200. Is there any way to save the video settings on a per-system basis?

I think what you actually want to do is set the global aspect ratio to 1:1 PAR, if I'm not mistaken

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wamdoodle posted:

I'm sorry a what. There was talk of those in the before times

Do you need accuracy or just general emulation? bsnes is cycle accurate from what I understand and needs more resources unless I'm mistaken

While bsnes still has a cycle accurate mode, of recent years it has a much more performant scanline renderer that it defaults to (in settings, it's the PPU video Fast mode checkbox).

For the original question, if one is running into performance problems while on decent hardware, it is very likely a driver configuration issue in bsnes. Sometimes you just have to go through the combinations there to find what'll work best. And as mentioned with runahead, make sure it is turned off until you know you have overhead to spare.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I think I'm going to pick up one of the game and watch screen protectors for the trikui model s, but the only come in a 4 pack, anyone else want one?

Also, does anyone have a good way to get the SD card out? The only ways I can manage are unscrewing the back or tweezers, neither of which I'd like to do much more.

Ah, I just got my own 4pack of protectors haha. I'm pretty sure I hosed up my first one though, naturally.

As to your question, I have a powkiddy-branded A66 model rather than original Model S, so I dunno if maybe there's a difference. Does yours not eject the card when pushed in? The microSD on the A66 at least is a push lock / push eject mechanism (no idea what the proper terminology is) so personally to remove it I always use the edge of my thumb's nail to push the card in until it clicks, and after releasing it pops out enough for me to grab it. Or is that what you're using the tweezers for?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1436375026698276872

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/articles/4408932900365
Ah well...

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

This thing is for a very specific group of people.

Yep. These shots either make you :eyepop: or not (from the DF video)

Manky fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 13, 2021

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Right now you need everdrives but also right now a lot of everdrives don't work properly or at all. So I'd say just wait.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Annath posted:

Lmao I'm in Group C.

I'm gonna cancel the order. Any thoughts on what to put the money towards instead, if my interest in the Pocket was playing a bunch of handheld games from a variety of platforms?

Absolutely look into the new gpi case that uses a rpi 4 compute module, the screen won't be near as nice but the software emulation will be tons more capable.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah, sorry, I didn't quite realize the CM4 modules were as hard to find as everything else...should have guessed.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Dads love Kyuutenkai

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

zenintrude posted:

My analogue pocket arrived... and since there's no jailbreak ~yet~ which flashcart should I be looking into grabbing for GB/GBC stuff

With a couple of caveats, I recommend picking yourself up an EZFlash Jr. with a fast microSD. The biggest drawback being that it won't work unless you update it with this beta firmware from https://gbatemp.net/threads/ez-flash-junior-testflight.558875/page-55#post-9638149 and you almost certainly need original hardware around to do that. (The other notable problems: needing to use fatdrivesort like a caveman, no super gameboy compatibility without a hack.)

Truthfully there aren't a lot of options with current Everdrives being out of stock and temporarily out of production. Aliexpress has clones, but I think just of the old model.

You can also throw GB/C roms at this site https://retropatcher.jonabrams.com/ and where patches have been written, it'll convert them to a .pocket format to work in the Pocket's GB Studio mode.

Manky fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 13, 2022

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Tetris romhacks? Do check out rosy retrospection of the og tetris gb.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Y'all should definitely check out Super Robot Pinball as well if you haven't

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bourricot posted:

And transparent blue and black versions have been confirmed
https://www.reddit.com/r/MiyooMini/comments/ul5d1u/miyoo_mini_blue_version/

Friendship with trimui/powkiddy a66 OVER

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Saoshyant posted:

That's easy: they are the ones I own and I wasn't planning on buying more.

In that case, one thing you could do is load up that 240p test suite port for GBA (160p test suite) on each device and run some tests side by side. Maybe one will jump out at you. https://github.com/pinobatch/240p-test-mini/releases

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

flavor.flv posted:

Absolutely loving not

I think they started telling their partners to pronounce it differently after the cease and desist from Nintendo, but it was always intended to be "doh"

Now 8bitdo what Nintendon't

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Not to my knowledge, though maybe you could use a USB ethernet adapter if you're looking for a better connection?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

otter posted:

Does anyone know where Analoge ships from?
Today is the last day to change shipping info for my order, so I would presume the label will print and picking / packing will begin so shipping must be imminent. I'm too excited.

Chino, CA

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah steam link works over the internet as well as your local network, I forget when they made that change but it's very nice. I alllllmost don't use Parsec anymore

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
also https://github.com/LizardByte/Sunshine

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

coconono posted:

A fight stick that could run that one popular online fighting game dealie would be interesting to me.

I'm curious, you referring to Fightcade or something else?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Might just be me but I have been disappointed in my Vita as a PSX machine. The support and hardware are nearly fantastic but the lack of real L2/3 and R2/3 buttons really compromises the experience for me. I got a grip that sort of adds them but it still feels very meh to me. I suppose it really depends on the games you play.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Kind of a specific question, but do any of these handhelds which run Android have light sensors which work with My Boy Advance? Seems like a nice way to finally play through the Boktais, if so

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Walla posted:

Pretty sure there are patched copies of the Boktai games which remove the need for the light sensor.

I know, I'm trying to play the games with a light sensor

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

baram. posted:

it works!

From a few days ago now, but I uninstalled and reinstalled the Temu app and was able to use that code to get a MM+ for ~ $40. I don't need it and barely have time for games anymore, but y'know. Excited to get it and start tweaking it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

I had to learn how to set up Mednafen (which doesn't come with a GUI!) to play the game I was interested in (on Windows).

Mednaffe isn't 100% perfect but it is an absolute godsend in terms of making Mednafen usable.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I was trying to ftp some chds to my mmp before the bbq and found they'd time out near the end but wouldn't show an error so it looked like a successful transfer. They weren't launching from Onion and the solution was to delete and transfer with SD adapter.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the AGS100 was frontlit and is totally blown out of the water by the backlit 101.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

death cob for cutie posted:

My Analogue Pocket finally arrived - this thing is beautiful, although the ergonomics are... not great. Gonna go pick up some cheap Game Boy/GBA games to make the best use of it - would be sick if I found a copy of Advance Guardian Heroes.

I got a p-wing grip and I really like it. I have large hands fwiw.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

harrygomm posted:

I'm looking to get an old gamecube up and running as a surprise and i'm not sure the best way to go about it. I didn't see any gamecube/ Retro nintendo threads with search, but figured you all might know a bit about old hardware. Or is there a better thread for that kinda stuff I missed?

Come check out the retrogames thread!

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Marx Headroom posted:

I got this Waterfield one in waxed canvas. The inside is very soft, it shuts close with magnets, and the zipper pouch carries a few cartridges. I feel like I can toss it in a bag and it'll be comfy.

I got one of these too, and boy is it nicely made.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

stephenthinkpad posted:

You can stream from every thing, Xbox, PS5, surplus Dell, PC stick. Except the Deck, you can stream to it but not from it.

Actually I use the steam link app on my laptop when I need to use a keyboard on my steam deck, it's fast and easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

If I do an FPGA console with a flashcart can I, like, set a default game to load from the games list? I want as close to OG experience as possible except the screen and battery updates. I don't want to menu dive every time I wanna pop in some quick pinball or Zelda. Gotta have the OG firmware boot image and sound too.

Generally speaking there are two categories of flash carts, multicarts and single carts. Single carts behave (or should behave) exactly like the original games. Multicarts can be further subdivided into two categories, those where you navigate a software based list to load a game versus those with other means of bank switching (e.g. a hardware switch).

When it comes to the list-based multicarts, very few of the ones I've used offer the ability to bypass the menu to boot straight into a game (just the ez flash omega DE, off the top of my head), but they will have the last game played be just a button or two away.