Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

This talk about input lag and a bad dpad has talked me out of the RP2, I was willing to overlook the pad's placement despite my skepticism but the combo of stiffness and unresponsiveness is a dealbreaker. Which is a shame because the UI and feature set seem really nice.

Guess I'll wait and see until more people have posted their impressions of the RG351P.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Is there anything that fulfils all of the following:

a) good dpad placement
b) quality pad/buttons
c) linux based and/or no input lag
d) 640x480
e) good PS1 support

Or is this like a "pick three" type situation right now?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The M has the bad dpad position problem though.

Just let me have a P with the same screen as they used in the M jeez!!!!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

sethsez posted:

:confused:

The M has the same dpad position as the P. Only the original RG350 had the flipped orientation.
Brain fart, guess I was thinking of the 350.

Feeling increasingly tempted by one of these three despite their respective shortcomings ugghhh.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

sethsez posted:

The only real drawback for the RG350M is the price for how powerful it is. It'll run everything up to PSOne just fine, but that's its absolute limit, and a few games like Yoshi's Island and Tekken 3 still challenge it. The P is cheaper and has the same button layout of the M, but the screen is lower resolution (you CAN do an aftermarket replacement if you really want to, but at that point you might as well just get the M from the beginning). The original RG350 is kind of pointless at this point IMO, and only makes sense to get if you find an incredible deal on it and are willing to put up with the dpad positioning.

The 351p is looking... iffy. I've seen reports of input lag and general bugginess, and the screen is basically only good for GBA emulation.
Oh yeah the old 350 isn't in the running at all, it's between the 350P and M (and maaaaybe the 351P) for me. I've seen chatter about the lower res being bearable for PS1 etc if you toggle some bilinear filtering option for making scaling less nasty but without a detailed photo/video comparison between the two displays – which I haven't been able to find – I still don't feel comfortable making a decision. I can't imagine Chrono Cross with its high res mode menus not looking at least slightly messed up...

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The United States posted:

Also instead of the usual 320x240 or 640x480 3.5" LCD screen, it has an insane 1600x1440 resolution so that any system can look good with even multiple scaling and it can even do fancy stuff like simulate LCD grid patterns.

The price is extremely high but that screen is what you're paying for.
Sorta related there's a very nice looking new GBC display replacement kit that does the simulated LCD grid thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixtSuoV7hME&t=815s

Also it's bigger than the stock display, which looks way less bad and stupid than the older mods that had smaller screens + giant bezels. Kinda makes it seem like a GBC XL revision from an alternate timeline where the platform stuck around for another year or two.

e. Thought I was in the retro megathread, still think this mod is neat tho

Pretty good fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 2, 2021

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The United States posted:

Looks like the Trimui got improved and price dropped, which makes it competitive for an ultra tiny ultra slim portable in the $50~ category

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sifOcAqpQg8
After like a couple years of paying attention to this scene but not actually buying anything this video is what pushed me over the edge. Looks like my ideal balance of price, capabilities, and form factor/aesthetics. Looking forward to it showing up.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Compatibility for PS1 and PSP via Adrenaline is very, very good but not quite 100%. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like there's a comprehensive spreadsheet out there of what works and what doesn't.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

USBC to 3.5mm supposedly works fine. Dongle life isn't ideal but at least it's an option

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Brrrmph posted:

Are the advertised built in games real emulated games or knockoff poo poo?
Real games, but poorly labelled/organised, and the SD card is no-name failure-prone crap with awful read speeds.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

RP2 is a good piece of kit by most accounts.

I got a Miyoo Mini recently and I am in love with it, but I know the small form factor + fragility + lack of analogue stick are dealbreakers for some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SBCGaming/comments/uuepxe/miyoo_mini_size_compared_to_gameboys/

They hosed up the homeboy homage color.

Edit: Gameboy, my spell checker is too young.
That shade is affectionately known as "nicotine" in the SBC subreddit + RGH discord.

Is there any info out yet on where they're sourcing the displays for the mini+? There was a lot of variance in the colour temperature/clarity of the Blackberry panels in the original mini, hopefully things are gonna be more consistent this time