Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

beer gas canister posted:

Appreciate the thorough recommendations all! I'll probably go for the 351p for the ergonomics and the 3:2 screen. The 351v is pretty cool, and the shoulder button solution is drat clever, but the 351p seems like it's probably more comfortable in the hands. Does the wifi enabled version make updating significantly easier or something? I can't seem myself using it for streaming or browsing.

My Rg351V is like the best purchase I've ever made. I have so much nostalgia for the gameboy form factor I'm very happy I went with it over the 351p. But again, it does lack a second analog stick and is probably less comfortable to hold for a long time so the 351p is probably better for you if you don't really love the vertical form factor. The screen on the 351v is amazing for SNES / PS1 stuff though where 640x480 is ideal and the GBA stuff definitely doesn't look too bad.

You can update the firmware over wifi also, but to be honest I tend to just plug the SD card into the PC to transfer things for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

kirbysuperstar posted:

The best non FTP/scrape/cheevo use of the wifi is syncing your saves/states/screenshots to a cloud service imho

Is there a decent tutorial for doing this with a rg351 somewhere? I've got all my saves on my main network setup to sync to dropbox, but I wasn't sure how to tie this in, and due to the portable nature of the thing I didn't want to like change the save location to an SMB share or something.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I went with clear green to match my N64. I also went with the 4gb memory model for the additional $20 but I don't know if it will matter or not.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
The 4:3 640x480 screen is not ideal for streaming but it's very ideal for retro games.

Id probably go with a widescreen higher res device for streaming from the pc

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I'll be curious if the rp 2s can do much GameCube or PS2 stuff.

Honestly I'll be very happy if I can get good Dreamcast performance though. I mostly plan to use it for PS1 and Dreamcast stuff along with the older systems.

At some point we will get one of these that can do all the 4:3 systems well and is in roughly this form factor and it will be my perfect portable machine.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Rolo posted:

I’ve started getting my RP2S library together on a new SD card (I should really just buy these in bulk at this point) and I’m realizing now how little I care about GC and PS2. Most of the games I want have rereleases and the few that don’t will run on my Deck if I really decide to care.

Having something 4:3 that runs everything prior perfectly in something this small is gonna be great. I’ve been playing with my basic 2 just to get used to the form factor again and I really miss it. Adding how much better I’ve gotten at customizing android devices and I’m legit excited to get this thing and maybe not buy another device for idk a few weeks at least.

Is the RP2S just the same setup as the 2 was? I should put my SD card together before mine gets here as well.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

njsykora posted:

The area where I live is in a dead zone that doesn't have strong enough wireless signal to make an internet connection. Roughly half my phone's storage is taken up by music.

I recently bought a basic digital audio player (HiBy R2 II) to keep from having my whole phone filled with music. It's pretty good. I need a 2TB SD card to come out to put all my music on one card though. I've just got a couple smaller cards with subsets of my songs on them. Another thing to put SD cards in!

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I just pulled the trigger on the Miyoo mini + from temu with a code to get it for sub $40 despite the fact that I already preordered the Retroid Pocket 2s. We will see if it actually arrives, I've never ordered from Temu before and it has some real wish.com energy. I'm doubling my retro handheld collection and going from 2 of these things to 4!

I also just largely couldn't resist the Atomic Purple Miyoo Mini + and the Clear Green Pocket 2s. The see through nintendo colors of my youth are my kryptonite.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
It's not that much bigger than my switch with the Hori Split Pad Pro sides, but it's significantly heavier.

I love my deck, but some of the smaller devices are definitely more portable.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I was setting up a card for my miyoo mini plus last night in preparation for its arrival, and I broke out my RG351V for the first time in a while and updated it to the newest version of AmberELEC and then spent several hours playing with it.

It's still a really great system and just feels really nice / solid in a way some of these things don't.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

flavor.flv posted:

You mean curating your rom sets, scrolling through them and looking at the box art, of course

Gotta load up at least one game from every system to test that they work also. Then put it back on the shelf, satisfied.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Assepoester posted:

New Anbernic RG405V pictures, looks like it is the first vertical gameboy-style handheld to have molded vertical grips:

Redditors warning about TEMU:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SBCGaming/comments/15m655j/psa_account_details_getting_stolen_after_using/

Just use paypal?

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
My Miyoo Mini Plus is supposed to be delivered today. Temu seems very shady, but it appears I'm actually going to get my $35 handheld and I didn't get my bank account hacked or anything so that's a plus.

Has anyone gotten shipping notifications for their Retroid Pocket 2S yet? I know they said they were going to ship a couple colors first but I assumed I would have seen someone posting shipment notifications or videos of one in the wild if they started on the 10th.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Anyone have a case recommendation for a Miyoo mini plus? I don't really want one of those 3d printed grip cases from Etsy and that's about all I've seen. At the momen I'm just chucking it in my pocket as is but if there was a good sized pouch or something that would be great.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Rolo posted:

Buy the official one for 5 bucks from Temu. Did yours not come with one? Mine did for whatever reason.

Mine did not. It came with a screen protector and an SD card reader and that was about it. But hey, it was $35 so I'm not complaining.

That does look more or less like what I need though. Thanks

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I want a mister but I've not been willing to shell out the price to move into fpga land

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
What's the vita capable of, emulation wise? I've not tried mine for replacing for years. The hat time I checked the vita version was pretty janky

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I've was hemming and hawing but I cancelled my Retroid Pocket 2s preorder and then I bought a japanese vita 2000.

I ultimately couldn't really come up with a good enough use case for something that is kind of in between on power and can't necessarily run gamecube / ps2 stuff well with the same size screen as my miyoo mini plus.

Also I wanted a new vita and it was vaguely the same price and I couldn't justify 3 handhelds in a month.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

otter posted:

I think I turned my vita on for about 3 minutes to make sure it worked when I bought it... about a year ago. And that was it. Are there any good exclusive games for it? When I paid for my PSN account years ago (when I got my first vita) I had Rogue Legacy but then I got that for switch for like $4.

There were a decent amount, although a lot of the stuff has been ported to other platforms now. Freedom Wars, the Uncharted vita game, Soul Sacrifice Delta, the best version of Disgaea 3.... I'm sure there's some more I'm missing.

It has good versions of a lot of indie stuff and some decent ports though. It can also can more or less perfectly emulate PSP games so I've probably played more PSP games on it than anything.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

stephenthinkpad posted:

Vita has less game than PS3.

But more than the PS5!

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I'll buy it if they put moonlight on it.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Weird that didn't get through customs. My Miyoo mini plus got to me just fine but I haven't tried any body parts yet.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

coconono posted:

Update I’m getting skulls in the mail today.

We're going to need a report on if they are real skulls or not.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
But I got my $35 miyoo mini plus, so your temu milage may vary

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

zzMisc posted:

I mean on the one hand, no poo poo about the Temu app, on the other this is what you get when you go to the article on Grizzly Research's site:

:words:

..but I do think folks are way too free about installing any random clearly shady app on their phone. If you wouldn't run an .exe downloaded from a shady .ru site on the promise of getting 20% off a toy, why on earth would you do the equivalent on your mobile.

I just installed the app, got my miyoo mini ordered and uninstalled it. What are they going to do? Read all my posts?

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

hark posted:

hey thread, forgive me if this is answered somewhere already, but is there any current device worth getting that can emu N64 really well, and doesn't have lovely controls?

trying to get my girlfriend something handheld to play ocarina of time, but don't know what's currently out there with these capabilities.

The main problem with N64 emulation was the the original N64 controls were lovely and don't map great to modern controllers. The Retroid 2s or Anbernic 405m both can run N64 games very well though and have good controls if you can deal with the mapping of C buttons to the right stick.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Edmond Dantes posted:

Is there any good/go-to recommendation for a "connect to tv" console? Not portable, just something you hook up to a tv and connect some USB controllers to.
Friend of mine wants to set up something to play old games with his kid, mostly old 16-bit era stuff and some old arcade games, maybe some PSX stuff but not really a deal breaker if that's not an option (or if it makes the price jump up).

I bought an HP Elitedesk 705 G4 mini Ryzen 5 pro 2400GE off ebay for roughly $100 (They typically go for closer to $150 though, I got lucky) and put batocera on it and it will run everything up through OG Xbox and WiiU pretty flawlessly. The cheap PC with Batocera is IMHO the way to go. You can get plenty of used office machines in the $50 range that will easily play all the PSX stuff.

Russ has a good guide on setting up batocera on any pc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5c6KZLUWTM

https://retrogamecorps.com/2023/05/26/transform-any-pc-into-a-retro-gaming-console-batocera-guide/

Substandard fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 21, 2023

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I got the purple one but I was through checkout by 8:02. It went pretty smoothly all things considered.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
If you were going to give a retro gaming handheld to a teen with basically 0 computer knowledge, do you all think the linux or Andorid systems are easier to navigate?

I've got a spare Rg351v and a spare retroid pocket 2+ and I'm thinking about giving one to my neice who vaguely likes video games but is not very computer savvy. I'd obviously pre-setup everything.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

flavor.flv posted:

Linux, 100%. No home screen, no app store, you turn it on and the very first thing you see is a nice, big select screen of systems. You hit the a button once, you get a list of games. You hit the a button again, you're playing. No loving around

That was my thought initial thought, but then I was thinking the android systems would be more "phone-like". so I thought I'd look for opinions.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Infinitum posted:

While I was researching all these different handhelds I kept expecting a DS/3DS clone to pop-up.

I think it's just easier / cheaper to buy an actual DS/3DS and put CFW on it at this point to play that stuff.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

otter posted:

I’d like to rescind this and request my power to be restored. Still enjoying the miyoo mini but tired of not having showers, hot food, electricity, etc.

Due to the devil's bargain you made you have to beat Rastan, Mario World and Turtles in Time first. I don't make the rules.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I wish every one of these more powerful handhelds didn't have android. I'd much prefer a linux base. Surely they have to be powerful enough to run batocera at this point.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

flavor.flv posted:

The elephant in the room when talking about emulation handhelds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1gveQUBIKk

Isn't the switch lite a nightmare to put a modchip in? Conveniently the video already starts out with a modded switch lite which makes it all seem much simpler.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Photex posted:

switch screen, dpad and ergos are kind of rear end.

I think the switch lite dpad is pretty decent. The regular switch joycon d-pad is absolute trash though and you definitely need some sort of third party replacement.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

stephenthinkpad posted:

https://twitter.com/miyoomini/status/1768472025968853374?t=ClkAKPHuS6fY8jns57dBpQ&s=19

So Miyoo said they will release this before the flip. Sounds like this device is easier to produce than the flip. Probably both will have the same chip inside.

But this one is basically a 35xxh with one less stick? Unless its noticeably cheaper than the 35xxh, I don't see this thing will move the needle that much.

I do like the old Nintendo gold/red FC scheme.

Is this a gameboy micro? It's hard to tell the size from the photo.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

I have no need for this whatsoever, but I will 100% buy it if it is priced anything like the rest of the 35xx line. The GBA SP design was the best design ever. I hate the lite up led thing though.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

stephenthinkpad posted:

As long as the top panel is flat it's easy to mod though. You just need to disconnect the power cable and put a black stickers on it.

I still haven't mod away the green power on led on my MM V4. It's way too bright and I hate it.

Yeah, it doesn't look flat in the video though. Hopefully it's flat if/when it gets to production.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I bought the Anbernic RG35XX-H yesterday. I was kind of torn between that and the Powkiddy RGB30, but I figured most of the systems I'd be playing would be better with a 4x3 screen than the square aspect ratio and a batocera cfw option was a huge selling point as well.

I'm mostly looking to play a bunch of PS1 stuff on it and potentially some dreamcast / n64 /arcade stuff since I can't do as much of that on my analogue pocket. Hopefully it works out well but I'll almost certainly be buying another one of these things in 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Got my RG35XX-H. Loading it up now. I'm curious to see how genesis and N64 stuff does on it, but I played a bit of PS1 stuff and it all ran perfect. I really like the form factor. It's smaller than my phone.