Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Bogart posted:

Counterpoint: playstation vita means life.

Also the Vita Dpad is hands down one of the nicest I've ever used. It's very clicky and precise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Has anyone with an RG351 played Golden Sun?

I'm quite tempted to buy one of these just to replay those games, but they're notoriously hard to emulate. If anyone's played it, can you tell me A) how it performs and whether or not it stutters in battle scenes and B) whether or not any of the emulators will run it without displaying the odd sprite layering glitches that you can see in the sunlight on the title screen or in Mercury Lighthouse.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Separate question, how's the DS emulation? I realise it's always gonna suffer from only having one screen, but what's performance like? I'm mostly interested in the Pokemon games, does anyone have any experience of those?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Froist posted:

You can flip between screens with the shoulder buttons, or have both side-by-side (severely shrunk). The right stick moves a virtual stylus around to use the touchscreen - it's passable for minimal input but definitely wouldn't want to use it for touch-heavy games. Luckily Pokemon is completely playable (at least at the start, I haven't got far) without using the touchscreen, you just have to toggle which screen is displayed when you open the menu. Performance is ok - not quite the same as a native DS but playable, especially for an RPG.

Sweet, thank you!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

flavor.flv posted:

Somebody please talk me out of buying a 351v, I just bought a miyoo mini

Do you actually have a use case for the 351v? Are there any scenarios where you feel like you would actually want something almost-but-not-quite-pocket-sized, or games which you would play on it that you wouldn't play on your miyoo?

The questions I find myself asking these days when I consider buying a new device are:
A) what would I play on it which I can't play just as well on something I already own?
B) when would I play that?

If you're in a position where the miyoo is good for throwing in your bag and playing short burst stuff while you're waiting at the dentists or on the subway, but you find it too small to want to play something longform, then do you actually want a 351v to play Earthbound or w/e on while you're knocking about the house, or could you just play that on something plugged into your TV and have a better experience?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Wow, those analogue sticks on the Win600 look like they would loving murder your hands, being right down there on the bottom corners like that.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Steel Battalion... :sigh:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
If you don't mind indulging me, I'm genuinely curious as to what situation you have where this is a thing you want.

Like, what is the use case where you are within USB-cable length of your PC, but wish to be controlling it via a handheld with a screen? I'm not trying to be mocking, I'm sure you have a reason to want this, I just can't imagine what it is and I'd kinda like to know...

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Ah, and I take it your PC screen is not positioned in a way which would make it comfy to just use a wireless controller and play on the monitor?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

flavor.flv posted:

Twin Snakes did a pretty good job, especially considering the ps2 control scheme it was trying to replace was one of the few that actually used the pressure sensitive face buttons

Twin Snakes has what may be the single worst bit of control design I have ever encountered.
You want to aim your FAMAS in first person?

Hold Z to enter first person.
Hold Y to engage the safety catch.
Hold A to pull the trigger.
Release Y to fire.

You have to do this, because simply entering first person with the FAMAS equipped does not give you any kind of sight by which to aim, and the gun only comes up to a firing position and displays the laser once you hold A to fire, so unless you perform this set of finger gymnastics, you can't see where your bullets will go until you start firing.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Okay, but that is a lovely looking concept. PSP with slideout keyboard is a neat idea.
I can't imagine I'll actually want to buy one; I suspect the price/utility balance isn't going to work out for me, considering how many other gaming devices I have, but I do like the look of it.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah it’s probably second only to the N64 in terms of pain in the rear end-ness to emulate as I understand it.

Surely the PS3 is worse. The loving Cell processor.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Shard posted:

Apologies for the dumb question - talk to me like I'm 5

When I've gotten into emulation it's always go here download an emulator, go there download bios, go there and download isos. Then I put everything in the same folder or whatever and it kinda works but I'll try burnout and there is no sky and other such issues.

My question: is there a place that has a big download with everything already tinkered with and ready to go or is the only way to get this stuff to work is to get elbows deep into the guts?

Part of the problem is that for a lot of emulators, you will need to tinker with settings on a per-game basis to select whatever works for that particular game.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Rolo posted:

I’ll get a Steam deck when it isn’t the size of a desk.

This is the fundamental problem for me TBH.

The steam deck looks great, but I just don't have a use-case for anything that big. It's not portable in the sense of "throw in your bag to use on a train journey", it's portable in the sense of "take it on holiday with you if you're going to be away from home for a few weeks and might want reasonably hefty gaming power in your hotel room."

I mean, I guess it's decent for the "play on the couch instead of at your desk" scenario, but again, that's of limited utility to me personally, and there are other things which serve that particular purpose.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Looks like PSP/3DS-style analog sliders? Not a fan

Also the low position of them looks like it would be murder on your thumbs, honestly.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
This is kind of tangential, but I just wanna tell everyone I set up Moonlight on my Vita 1000 and I've been playing Caves of Qud on my sofa and it loving rules. :colbert:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

endocriminologist posted:

This is insanely cute wtf

I would genuinely prefer it without the analogue sticks. They look monstrously uncomfortable, and like, 95% of the titles you are going to play on that won't need them anyway.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
The Vita emulates PSP and PS1 flawlessly, and most consoles earlier than that very well, modulo a little weirdness on some more obscure or complex games. (Golden Sun, I'm looking at you!)
Doesn't do N64 well, and I've never tried (and wouldn't bother trying) Dreamcast.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
The Sony Handheld Thing is an absolutely loving insane idea, honestly. Genuinely one of the most baffling products I've seen from a major games company in years.
Like, if it could do game streaming outside the house, maybe.
But the number of people who are gonna pay £200 just so they can play their PS5 library on a tiny screen in a different room? I don't think that's large. I get that this is a use case some people want, but I don't think there's anything like enough people who want it badly enough to spend £200 on it.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Djarum posted:

It’s not as insane as it sounds. The thing is effectively going to be a Remote Play device. I have been doing remote play when I am not at home from my PS4 to my laptop with a PS4 controller for almost a decade now. As long as you have WiFi it works like a charm. I have even done it using cellular from my phone. Having a dedicated device with decent build quality and a pretty low price would be nice for people that travel. Not including built in cellular makes a lot of sense since it would add to the cost significantly and few are going to pay more for service on another device when they can just tether off the phone they already got.

The big question is if it has full Android support or not, even unofficially. If it does it will be a big success. If it doesn’t I think there will be a market for it but not huge. You can get a Backbone for half the cost that can do the same thing with the phone you already have and a lot more.

No, I don't think it works that way. As I understand it, you can only use it on the same wifi network as your PS5.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Djarum posted:

That makes zero sense since both the PS4 and 5 support remote play anywhere already. If there is a weird limitation like that it is easily circumvented as well.

According to the post on the Sony Blog here it works using Remote Play and requires a internet connection.

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/0...year-at-199-99/

So judging by that it should be able to be used anywhere that you have a decent internet connection. It is weird it doesn’t have support for their Cloud gaming though. I have to assume that is going to get patched it at some point.

It's just weird that they say:

quote:

PlayStation Portal is the perfect device for gamers in households where they might need to share their living room TV or simply want to play PS5 games in another room of the house.

Like. They make no mention of using it "on the go" so to speak.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

njsykora posted:

I've said it in this thread before but if I could just go on Analogue's site and buy a thing, I'd probably have impulse bought multiple devices from them at this point. But it's always no, this thing we just launched isn't shipping for a year. Or no, this thing we launched 6 months ago is discontinued now.

Yeah, this is kind of how I feel about them. I've thought several times about buying a Pocket, but the combination of price point plus not being able to actually just buy one and get it within a reasonable timeframe is too much for me to bite the bullet.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Those loving analogue stick placements constitute grievous bodily harm in several jurisdictions.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
That's what I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Gonna say Worms Armageddon is real good. Pinnacle of the series, I still play it with a friend of mine before our weekly movie nights.

Edit: Do yourself a favour, make a custom ruleset and disable baseball bats and shotguns. The bat is bad design because it means the optimal action for every first turn is "find the enemy worm nearest the water and instantly kill them." The shotgun is bad design because A) it deals an extremely reliable 50 damage, putting it ahead of just about every other default weapon except dynamite and B) it potentially allows you to kill two enemy worms in one turn, and these two things make it almost always the best weapon on any given turn.

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 24, 2024