Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I have an RP2+ on the way today since it seemed like it’d be fun to tinker with while waiting for my Steam Deck. How well do custom Doom wads work on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They must have slipped in some with better QC because I haven’t seen many complaints on Reddit.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

lol

The G Stands For Garbage - Logitech G Cloud Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh66DTXYCP8

Thing is this device is $350 the new Razer is $400 and the deck is also $400.

There's no way this thing isn't DOA in a few months.

It's just e-waste. What a ridiculous product.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ordered a clurple. Glad I waited on the RP3.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yes let’s call our system the “mess”

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rolo posted:

Update 2: I really like this thing. I would advise against getting the official case though, it’s like 4 times thicker than the thing and it freely moves around inside.

I was regretting being in so much of a rush to order that I forgot to pick up the official case so I guess that ended up being the right call

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IF3_8HTeKY

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just got my R3P in the mail. Is there any way to set it up so that I can use the dpad to control the keyboard? I'd really prefer to keep touchscreen stuff to an absolute minimum.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The PSP was such a god drat cool device

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just printed this case for my Retroid 3+:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5627479

It's great! Super snug fit and clips onto the bottom when you're playing. I would feel comfortable tossing this in a bag.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Has anyone tried Vampire Survivors on the RP3+? I sideloaded the APK this morning and it seems weirdly blurry and sluggish. I haven’t played the game on any other machines lately so maybe that’s just how it is.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there a guide for getting Arcade games to run on the RP3+? I downloaded a romset meant for the miyoo mini and didn't think I'd have any issues using it, but Finalburn Neo just gives me an emulator error and the various Mame cores freeze up whenever I try to run anything (like 1942).

Honestly I'd prefer not to use Retroarch for anything at all but I don't think there's alternatives for arcade games.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hmm, I did transfer the entire collection over, though. There's a folder with the game zips and also a folder with BIOS files for mame 2003+. I didn't set up the location to find the BIOS files but there's none that refer to 1942, anyway.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh no the R1 button on my RP3+ is totally busted :(

Took it apart and it's definitely a failed microswitch.

Guess I get to see how their support team is doing amid the covid outbreak

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

China basically opened the floodgates and never sourced good vaccines so people are getting wrecked.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rolo posted:

Daijisho is currently the numero uno I think.

I wish it had more themes instead of wallpapers for the only one but it’s a drat fine front end.

It’s pretty good and is the only one I find tolerable as an Android Home Screen replacement

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok well I’m gonna do death threats at everyone who’s not making PS2 emulators

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Looks bad. Grow some balls and give me a second screen so I can finally emulate DS games properly.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Retroid is sending me a replacement controller board for my broken shoulder button. The customer service experience was funny, they asked me to do a tear down and take photos of the damage which I can’t imagine most people would be comfortable doing.

You can see it looks buckled compared to the other buttons.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh my god it took three weeks for this RP3+ replacement part to get here and they sent me the board for L1, not R1

gently caress, man

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh my god it's Lunar New Year

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just got a 353V and put ArkOS on it. It’s not quite as friendly as Android-based OSes but it doesn’t take much setup work. Don’t bother with Jelos, the developer dropped Arm-based Anbernic support over some issue he has with the company.

There’s also an Android distro made by a guy going by Black Seraph but it’s behind a questionably legal $10 Patreon paywall.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

njsykora posted:

Jelos didn't really drop support, they just stopped releasing builds completely in favour of making it so you have to compile the OS yourself because that was more "true to the spirit of the project" aka Linux guys gonna be Linux guys and we can't have these filthy casuals using our poo poo. There is a dude who does that and then just puts out compiled builds you can put on a device for normal people though, but I can't remember what name he's releasing them under.

That was an earlier move. Now there’s Discord drama.

quote:

They burned us which led to us deciding not to support future devices. After that, community members with power to ban abused their power to try and silence developers who were critical of the 35xx device which led to my departure from two discords and the decision to no longer support their company at all in protest of that behavior.

The rest of the reasons are outlined in our discord.

https://old.reddit.com/r/SBCGaming/comments/1034fgx/_/j2y8ju4

I tried the latest UnofficialOS build but the sound didn’t work unless I messed with cryptically named audio devices and that was way more Linux than I wanted to do for this kind of device. Plus the sleep button was wonky and the volume buttons didn’t work.

From this point on they’ll basically just be a fork from the December version of Jelos.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 23, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh my replacement screen and analogue sticks arrived from Retroid. They uh, sent me a whole case with the screen attatched so I guess I just swap my board and speakers in more or less. Works for me.

Did they happen to include an extra R1 controller board

Actually, does anyone happen to have a spare R1 controller board for an RP3+? I'd be happy to pay for the part + shipping + tip. Getting Retroid to ship me the correct part this time is probably going to take another month once they get back to work, not including the time it takes for them to read the email I sent them in their massive backlog.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 24, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

loving Razer, man

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Timby posted:

That seems like a pretty ridiculous oversight. And why would the difference in 2GB of RAM be due to a 5G antenna?

Decent odds it’s not an oversight and they just wanted to see if they could still keep the sales after the production estimate for 8GB came back high

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I printed the RG353V shoulder buttons today. They turned out really nice at 0.12 layer height, though they won’t win any beauty awards compared to a resin print.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5655329

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is the bottom right corner really that kind of weird angle? That’s not even a corner radius. I don’t know what that is.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

So, how do the Android-based consoles wotk with native Android games? Like could I install Delta Touch and play DOOM wads using the controls? Is it game-dependent or something Android-wide?

You're dependent on the Android dev implementing gamepad controls, but that's it. You can use touchscreen mappers if they don't but those probably suck rear end. I have Delta Touch + Doom wads installed on my RP2+.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edmond Dantes posted:

Awesome, Doom was pretty much what made me think of it.

... Does it work on Vampire Survivors :getin:

Yep. Even has options to switch between portrait and landscape modes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The back touchpad instead of L2/R2 buttons was such a critical failure that I just cannot bear to be positive about anything else with the Vita

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok I take it back I did play through Persona 4 Golden on my Vita so Sony did give me one of the best gaming experiences of my life

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Give me SNESticle

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

flavor.flv posted:

When I finally graduated from znes I was blown away by how many games used transparency effects. It turns out chrono trigger doesn't have ANY blind maze areas!

smh if you didn’t experience playing these games while constantly flipping layers on and off

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

clear blue..clue

hmm

blear, dumbass

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Good, gently caress blear

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Photex posted:

Feel like I should just buy a steam deck and sit on it, once the chips run out I can't see anything replacing it for awhile

please do not sit on your Steam deck

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I love emulator/mod/custom firmware devs and how Discord amps up their bullshit by giving them a supportive audience

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Grassy Knowles posted:

I'm more shocked that most people don't sub for a month, download the firmware they want, then eject cause he ain't touching any device you own again most likely.

They do but custom firmware isn't the most stable thing around so you generally do want the updates as they come out. I think he supports a pretty wide range of devices.

I think technically he's violating Android ToS by selling it but who knows if that'll come to anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Put a second screen in it you cowards