Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

put in a pre-order for an Odin Lite a couple weeks ago and didn't even think to check to see if there was an SA thread dedicated to this stuff, going to be upgrading from my 351P which is still FANTASTIC and will probably just live in my pocket for on the go gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

The United States posted:

RetroGameCorps says what we've all been thinking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsFo2JU3BHI

I watched this earlier today and couldn't agree more, I get stunlocked by choice and end up doing nothing. Going to setup favorites later

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

zzMisc posted:

More powerful than the RK3326, no, hopefully we'll have more of that later this year. But if you mean an x86 handheld, yes you are. Valve is in the best position to take the best advantage of a lovely supply situation right now and they still couldn't produce a decent x86 handheld smaller than a medium-sized marine mammal.

Isn't the RK3588 supposed to be the next up?

https://youtu.be/d02fiFl3o1A

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

That is a really disappointing thing to learn..I assume it's the same screen on the Lite? I might just cancel and get a used 552 or something

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah but only in RetroArch which is fine for the lower stuff but the more powerful stuff that the device can run it can’t be fixed in.

Didn't the reddit post say it's only really a problem in GBA or lower? I guess I was confused at that bit in his post because it should just affect everything the entire time unless there is some sort of framesync

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Can't see where this fits, sure it has a better screen but it still can't play games at full speed and utilize that screen at the same time.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Just grabbed a Miyoo Mini from KeepRetro..you're all a bunch of pushers.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Honestly it’s cheap enough that I don’t even Feel bad.

will be a nice companion for my 351p and Odin Lite (whenever i get it)

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Disappointing Pie posted:

Speaking of here is Russ’s in depth review of the 503

https://youtu.be/fUh7NqwPlBQ

tl;dw if you want anything above the PS1 just get a Pocket 2+, if you have a 351 already it's probably not worth is what I got out of it.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

zzMisc posted:

Caveat: This was with stock, and both N64 and NDS function "worse than on a 351 with custom firmware." N64 in particular was tested with retroarch cores rather than standalones because the standalones aren't set up right.

It remains to be seen of course but with cfw I'd expect both of these to run at *least* as well on a 351. And cfw is definitely coming, Anbernic actually sent out advance units to devs this time.

It is still very much an incremental upgrade of course. Personally I ordered one for that sweet oled and internal 5gz wifi, even if it doesn't perform appreciably better than a 351.

according to the Retro discord though they sent out devices sure but they didn't release their firmware source which means no one is really working on it/or won't be out for a long time.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Taki opening up his video on the 503 "I got blacklisted by anbernic so they don't want me reviewing their stuff anymore....anyway this device loving sucks the dpad grinds and they stacked buttons aren't even"

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Wee Bairns posted:

After initially wanting a Retroid, but being dismayed at the (at the time) shipping delays, I picked up a 351p on a whim and I loving love the little thing. AmberElec is pretty snappy with the beta builds being surprisingly stable, with some decent performance bumps over the stable release. (Especially psp).
Gameboy Advance looks so good at native resolution on that screen to my eyes, and that's all that matters.

Just for clarity they don't really call them beta builds instead it's pre-release, I think they moved to just incremental builds and will only do major roll up revisions every so often

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

just got my Miyoo in from KeepRetro and it's ADORABLE

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Found a good top 10 list site and about to play Policenauts for the first time on this little guy

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Alucard posted:

Care to share the site for reference? Also I've heard Snatcher is great too.

https://www.blockfort.com/category/game-lists/

Has a top 10 list for nearly all systems, thought it was a fun resource for systems I wouldn't normally try

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Explosionface posted:

Youtube randomly threw this Anbernic video at me. Apparently it's a new product called the win600 and it can run Windows or SteamOS. No mention of potential cost, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gYIJuIciNg

it'll suck, look how bad those sticks look.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

PlesantDilemma posted:

Which of the cool handhelds is the fastest to boot up & get into a game? I'm enjoying my RGB10 Max 2 a lot, but I want instant gratification when it comes to retro games haha. Hows the boot up time for a hacked psp/ds/vita?

Miyoo Mini is pretty fast, you can also set it to open a game automatically

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

It's going to be really interesting to see where the Odin Lite falls into this if the RG552 is that fast.

Odin Lite is Android so probably similar to RP2+

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Well they just added the ability to use other firmwares with the Odin handhelds.

This should eventually make its way to the lite as well

It's going to be a stretch on the Lite mostly because the SoC isn't nearly as popular as the snapdragon though so developers would have to do entirely new forks for the d900

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Odin Lite emulation showcase is out and it's looking REALLY impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9lJiOelHTY

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

njsykora posted:

Seeing that thing do Gamecube, Wii (even Mario Galaxy that the loving Steam Deck apparently has trouble with) and the hard PSP games without even breaking a sweat is properly impressive, even with the caveat that he's bypassed the CPU govener to make it run at max speed. The fan's still apparently in quiet mode and those games that did have slight dips you could probably just drop the resolution a bit and get rid of those.

Even a lot of PS2 stuff looked to be running really well, though that was a lot more hit and miss than the rest.

yeah i'd say PS2 probably at 75% which is what the odin pro looked like it was at

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

It's more that anbernic has missed the cost to performance ratio pretty big the last couple of devices when most people already have a 351p or equivalent

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

the ease of use of any of Anbernics devices isn't because of Anbernic's efforts but the community developing custom firmware and front end launchers though, Odin will be there sooner rather than later then all of the points you've listed have become moot.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

njsykora posted:

Taki's saying the Loki's going to have both Intel and AMD options, Alder Lake and Zen 3 respectively so it's nice to know right away one of them's probably going to be objectively worse.

I wonder how they plan to source these chips and keep the cost low, they certainly aren't hitting massive manufacturing numbers especially if you're doing two SKUs

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Ayn just released Odin Base/Pro Linux Kernels for the devs to start their work, we're going to see what that unit is really capable of in a few months I think

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Just saw that.

Also curious about the low end AMD chip they are using in the windows handheld.

any move to use AMD is less about windows and more about SteamOS, I just don't think there is an easy way to license SteamOS currently, Valve probably should get on that

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

AFAIK windows is free to license on computers with displays under 7 inches.

ah I actually didn't know that, MAK licenses are pennies too even if they weren't free.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

njsykora posted:

It is literally that Celeron, and the 1Ghz thing is apparently a deliberate choice by Intel. It has to be some weird tax break thing where producing this kind of chip gets them some government money somewhere because what is that kind of chip good for these days?

Chromebooks?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

i'm kind of hoping i can get the odin lite on Google Fi just for Retro Achievements and app updates.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

I have an RP2+ on the way today since it seemed like it’d be fun to tinker with while waiting for my Steam Deck. How well do custom Doom wads work on it?

should work just fine, custom doom wads work on much lower devices

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

givepatajob posted:

I'm months away from having my Odin and have some trips coming up. In terms of a larger form factor I can order in a reasonable amount of time, how bad are the RG503 and 552? Reviews poo poo on them for their higher end performance on newer systems, but if I'm only going as high as a GBA are they decent enough?

is the 351p too small?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

the latest update from Ayn/Odin team is embarrassing and I already fired off a cancellation request.

tl;dr how do you have so many outstanding orders and not have screens on order??

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Explosionface posted:

They what? Luckily anything AYN related isn't affecting me, but that sounds like a huge fuckup from the outside.

quote:

1. 6-inch screen will run out of stock soon

We ordered 10K pcs 6 inch screens, but the overall defective rate now hits up to 24%, now we have less than 800pcs LCD screen left and Odin will run out of screen after this week.

The new touch screen sample will be qualified by the end of this week, and the turnaround cycle of manufacturing is 25 working days, so we need to wait for 3 weeks after this weekend to start device assembling.

2. Odin Lite ordered before 2021/10/4 will ship before 6/30

All hardware testing and qualification of last Odin Lite hardware revision was finalized today, particularly for 4G antenna and Wi-Fi 6 antenna were double checked and the signal quality seems good enough. 50pcs trial order assembling was delayed to 6/14 since we need wait 4G/Wi-Fi antenna. We will reserve around 300pcs for most early backers who ordered Odin Lite before 2021/10/4, they will get their order shipped before the end of this month.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

coconono posted:

24% defect rate would get someone fired and their boss shot into the furnace in any other manufacturing industry. Holy hell.

yeah i was told by a friend who has some experience dealing with China/Shenzen mfg's, either they are blowing 24% during assembly or they are buying known defective stock

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Got my refund and ordered a RP2+ from Amazon and it'll be here Friday.....crazy to think that these units were announced around the same time

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

amazing what the 1gb of RAM did for the Pocket 2+, much nicer to use than my OG Pocket 2.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Anyone interested in a lightly used white 351p with the wireless adapter?

Loving my Pocket 2+ and Miyoo Mini combo so don't really want it just..sitting around to rot

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Annath posted:

Cross post from the Retro Thread:

Question:

I have an Abernic RG552, but it's kinda been sitting on my desk for a while due to being busy with work. I decided to pick it up again, but I was wondering a few things:

1. When I tell it to check for updates, it says none are available. Is that true, or is this some issue with my system config?

2. For some reason, when I press the key combo to exit a game (configured to be SELECT+START), the game/interface instead just freezes, requiring me to press the reset button. Any ideas what might be causing this?

I really enjoy the Linux front-end, so I'd prefer to keep using it even if performance is supposedly better on Android. I'm only using the device for GBA and earlier systems for the most part. Although PSP is something that I'd like to look into.

I would say move to the amberelec Linux setup, those guys are wizards and l know their poo poo

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's still in pre-release but stable enough as a daily driver: https://github.com/AmberELEC/AmberELEC-prerelease/releases/

There really is no diff between pre-release and full releases anymore according to the discord, it's just incremental patches and small bug fixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah the god of war games being the psp benchmark is pretty stupid, also god of war is just over rated