Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
If I wanted to play mainly GBA, it sounds like 351P/M is the right choice for me, sound right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Heck yeah. Can't wait to tinker with a new device non-stop but basically never actually play it.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
More hands on for the 351MP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaFzaQRXAns

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I got the 351P for almost exclusively GBA use, its great. Also using 351Elec firmware, which is nice and very easy.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Holy crap, RGC's first of three Ayn Odin videos is 50min long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK9-5fdpicg

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

The United States posted:

RGC Ayn Odin Part 2 - microstutter confirmed out of the box, but fixable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PliCqMdmUbM

Taki Udon Ayn Odin Review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NaQR9eVDB8

Gosh darnit I want this so bad. I'll probably get it a good while sooner than a Steam Deck and that shouldn't be enough to tempt me so badly haha.
E: Looks like they aren't allowing preorders for the base anymore?

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 8, 2022

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

beep-beep car is go posted:

How do you store your handheld consoles? I was thinking of making a charging rack with my Cricut. I know Russ on Retro Game Corps uses a dish rack.

I was just thinking about this too yesterday. I was considering making a little shelf that can go behind my monitors above their arms to hold the consoles on little stands, but that does seem like a lot of work haha.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Man I am bummed. I backed the Odin the moment the reviews dropped in the hope I would get it before my big trip in a week and a half...but all the lockdowns and delays really tanked that. Then I bought a 3DS a week ago and it arrived broken. Alas I guess its just a switch trip after all.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Elwood P Dowd posted:

My Odin Pro just arrived and holy cow is it beautiful. It's my first, and likely only portable system I will own, but it fits well, the screen is large, and I can't wait to get into it... except holy cow I waited too long to find out what I'm supposed to do and the Reddit group for it does not have any simple tips for setup for someone like me, sigh...

I'm very jealous. Check out Retro Game Corps, hes got an Android Starter Guide (both yt video and written guide).

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I guess sometimes I have to put my 351p back to sleep if the controls don't re-enable, but then it works after that. I've been using the latest amberelec (and 351elec before that). But it wouldnt really surprise me if these finicky usb controllers had some good variation between devices.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I ordered mine beginning of Feb when the reviews dropped and it shipped yesterday.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
The Odin definitely rules. I'm excited to get it more setup then try my first play of windwaker.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Nice, hopefully that works.
I'm obviously not very far yet (doubt I've done anything too demanding) but its pretty solid 30fps during gameplay at 2x resolution with no other changes to Dolphin MMJR.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Doctor Hospital posted:

DHL, in their infinite wisdom, decided that instead of delivering my odin today, they should instead do literally nothing and just wait, so I guess I have another day to prep the external storage.

Does anyone have any strong opinions about android frontends? I'm leaning towards Pegasus, but I hear even with the installer it's still kind of a pain to get up and going.

hahaha they did the exact same to me. Arrived at the destination facility at 4:30am...out for delivery at 11:00am the next day.

Also I too went launchbox. I do wish it had like a couuuuuple more options for customizing but I don't really have any regrets because it took me no time to get where it is now (in a good way).

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 25, 2022

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

sethsez posted:

Ayn announced another handheld. Loki Zero, $200 preorder, 3050e Athlon.

No, they still haven't managed to ship an Odin Lite yet.

https://www.ayntec.com/products/loki-zero-preorder

Apparently they started shipping them literally today hahaha
E: There are so many different skus between Ayn and Aya that its making me care less and just keep waiting for the deck.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

MockingQuantum posted:

Where are people seeing the percentage queue for the Deck? Mine still just says I'll get an email someday

Its just a reference to the last fulfilled order and your order time. TBH its way more useless than ever before (when it was only barely of any use) because they're shipping so much now a days.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

flavor.flv posted:

When I finally graduated from znes I was blown away by how many games used transparency effects. It turns out chrono trigger doesn't have ANY blind maze areas!

God, I still remember that from like 2003 or whatever. I didn't beat Chrono trigger for so many years.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
hahaha came to post that too. Lets fuckin go.
...Wait, I really don't need this device. Dammit.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I am interested in a small device to throw in my waist pack for when I'm taking public transit. So major requirement is the small size but also a great screen. Power isn't too important since I'll basically just load a couple of games and nothing past like GBA. Would that still just be a Miyoo Mini Plus?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Personally I like that I have good options/combinations for any trip/flight I might be taking.
Flying out west next month? Probably the Odin, maybe the hacked 3DS. Flying to Prague in Nov? Steam Deck + Miyoo Mini Plus.
Common thread? Sleeping on the flights and not using the console(s).

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

otter posted:

I'll be honest, I'm looking forward to the "I got my steamdeck stolen in Prague" thread.

hahahahaha. Its a boomer-esque trip since we're going on a tour and just being driven around in a bus. If it were my normal world travel I would not bring the deck.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Doh. I tried to setup my new Mini+ before heading out for the night but I couldn't get any roms to show up in OnionOS.
Well, I guess my train ride is going to be game-less one more time.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hit select on the system selection screen and Refresh All, it'll dump the cache and rebuild it when you go into a system

Sadly it didn't work even after I revisited the dirs, names, etc. I musta done something else wrong.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

hark posted:

hey thread, forgive me if this is answered somewhere already, but is there any current device worth getting that can emu N64 really well, and doesn't have lovely controls?

trying to get my girlfriend something handheld to play ocarina of time, but don't know what's currently out there with these capabilities.

A 3DS is my favorite Zelda machine tbh. 3 native games, easy emu of previous handhelds.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Does anyone have some thoughts on a device that would fit these two requirements:
- Video Out & Bluetooth controller support for some local multiplayer
- On the cheaper side, maybe up to N64/Gamecube at the top end?

This is for my nephews and I haven't once thought about video out/local multiplayer for myself so its kind of a blind spot.
E: I guess it doesn't have to be bt controller support cause I could always get a little hub for external controllers.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 3, 2023

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

canyonero posted:

Some crazy person/people have a community Google Sheet that should allow you to narrow it down. You can filter it to your heart's desire: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1irg60f9qsZOkhp0cwOU7Cy4rJQeyusEUzTNQzhoTYTU/edit#gid=0

For GameCube, I think you're looking at the $100 for some games to be playable. Probably the Retroid Pocket 2S? If you're willing to drop the GameCube requirement, you get a lot more options.

Daaaamn that is an impressive sheet haha.
Maybe the real answer, though, is to just clean up my Odin and give that to them since I barely use it alongside a SD and MM+.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Has anyone here used the RG35XX (or similar handheld) for local multiplayer? I am wondering how the experience is after you've mapped the controllers in retroarch.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Have you considered getting an old Switch to mod it? It also has a 7" screen, costs about the same used but has shittier control. You can install android and run stream app on it.

I'm sorry, this is a thing? I have a switch from like day 1 and I can install android on it?!?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
My nephews' 35XX is having issues so they dropped it off for me to fix (it's definitely the poo poo sd card) but I figure I'll update it while I have it. I'm not too familiar with the options tho, is Garlic OS the best option? Any level of complexity to setup is fine, just looking for the best/easiest user experience in the end.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Admittedly.....I haven't toyed around with any other OSs......but for the games that you're likely to play on the 35xx.....Garlic is great. Especially once you figure out the "hotkeys" and whatnot.

Sweet, thanks!

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

The 7th Guest posted:

the gba sp design was neat when i was a kid with smaller hands and no risk of carpal tunnel/arthritis

now i need my handhelds big and chonky. the RG556 is basically made for me

I mean, yeah. Also if one of the SP-inspired devices gets good third party OS support I'll buy the ever loving poo poo out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Commander Keene posted:

Got Saturn working - uninstalling the version of Retroarch that was on there and installing a version off the Play Store seems to have fixed the problem. Now I'm having the problem that Daijisho isn't recognizing Retroarch cores and won't launch any games through Retroarch.

God drat I hate Retroarch.

Tbh I manually install retroarch 64bit from the website on my Odin (play store typically heavily lags behind).
That said, if you haven't you may need to go into each console setting in Daijisho and select the right core/retroarch ver manually. Mine worked great for everything but GBA (???) but when I manually set the mgpa core from retroarch64 (bc that's what I installed, see above for play store) it was fine.

E: beaten, thanks phone typing :p