Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That has some Playdate energy.

If I didn’t cancel my preorder I wouldn’t have bought an android emulation handheld instead and who knows where my hundreds of dollars since would have gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It has more Pocket Chip energy.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Assepoester posted:

Why would Sega spend a much greater cost per unit using the more powerful hardware and greater amount of ram that android requires and pay the microsoft android tax instead of just using the operating system and software they've already developed for their megadrive and gamegear minis? There's no incentive for them to do so.

Yeah I think the real question is why Sony hasn't yet/if they might ever re-enter the handheld market, not Sega or Nintendo

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

icantfindaname posted:

Yeah I think the real question is why Sony hasn't yet/if they might ever re-enter the handheld market, not Sega or Nintendo

Sony is re-entering the handheld market. They are releasing a device that is able to stream games from the PS5 and looking to be Android based.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I like the TI calculator aesthetic. Oh it's not windows, at least it has that going for it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Djarum posted:

Sony is re-entering the handheld market. They are releasing a device that is able to stream games from the PS5 and looking to be Android based.

And it looks dumb as hell.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Odin 2 looks great and all but they still haven’t shipped my Loki soooo

Also 0 updates about it.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
That Sony thing is totally a vaporware.

But I expect android consoles will be released by bigger and bigger brand names. Has alienware released one yet?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I don't think Alienware often steps out of the PC/laptop space. Like I'm not sure if they ever did standalone keyboards/mice/headsets etc like Razr or Steelseries

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't think Alienware often steps out of the PC/laptop space. Like I'm not sure if they ever did standalone keyboards/mice/headsets etc like Razr or Steelseries

They do but they were often just included with their hardware. It's not awful quality but I was never a fan of it. Granted I am extremely picky on mice and keyboards. Remember Alienware is Dell so they make everything.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There might be an Alienware handheld, there seems to be a rush to get handheld PCs out from the big companies. Lenovo has announced one now as well.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Djarum posted:

They do but they were often just included with their hardware. It's not awful quality but I was never a fan of it. Granted I am extremely picky on mice and keyboards. Remember Alienware is Dell so they make everything.

michael dell will personally deliver it to your house

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Saoshyant posted:

Video Games > Third Party Retro Consoles: shots of shelves of handhelds that are powerfully erotic

Also:

"Exquisite appearance, comfortable feel, let you fondle admiringly"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jkq posted:

Also:

"Exquisite appearance, comfortable feel, let you fondle admiringly"

I like the double horn speaker

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Third Party Retro Consoles: comfortable feel, let you fondle admiringly

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Indeed, Powkiddy/Anbernic product descriptions have the best ESL speak

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Assepoester posted:

Indeed, Powkiddy/Anbernic product descriptions have the best ESL speak

i want this tattooed on my back

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Anbernic is having a sale on their website, $10 off or up to 17% off. Shipping is a bit pricey though.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Game's Hell

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

mariooncrack posted:

Anbernic is having a sale on their website, $10 off or up to 17% off. Shipping is a bit pricey though.

I just folded and bought a 405M because of this. hopefully I dont regret it but it seems like it's the one for me. I was worried it'd be too awkward for PSP but I checked on the retrosizer website and it has the same effective screen size as the PSP Go when running games which is just fine with me

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I feel like that’ll be fine but I’ve been super lucky with my near vision as I age. I can handle the 3.5 screens no problem as long as they aren’t more than 2 feet away without my glasses.

Far vision now that’s a problem.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Same (near vision okay, far vision toast)

Although near vision has its limits too. I tried playing Mario Picross on an Anbernic 280M and it’s why I sold it. I couldn’t read the numbers on the larger puzzles. Same with Mario’s Super Picross on the RP2+ and RG351V.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Sailor Goon posted:

Same (near vision okay, far vision toast)

Although near vision has its limits too. I tried playing Mario Picross on an Anbernic 280M and it’s why I sold it. I couldn’t read the numbers on the larger puzzles. Same with Mario’s Super Picross on the RP2+ and RG351V.

Hell yeah, Picross has been my #1 game for the past week or so on my 353m. Need to track down Super Picross, now that I'm thinking about it.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

There’s a translation hack but it’s 100% playable without any knowledge of Japanese. One of the better picross games too

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I was mostly curious about the Odin 2 and lmao at this poo poo

It defaults to a $77 tip lmao which is like an 18% tip.

Listen fuckers if you can’t support your self at 5% then maybe it’s time to raise the rates and not default to asking the end user for another 18%.

Anyways if you could have snuck in with the early bird for the Odin they were a steal but those probably went quick.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I don’t know much about emulation, but I heard the Saturn is particularly nasty. Is the upcoming Saturn core for the MiSTER likely to solve those woes?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Having an accurate FPGA core might help with software emulation development I think. At least that’s what people smarter than me say

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

MarcusSA posted:

So I was mostly curious about the Odin 2 and lmao at this poo poo

Listen fuckers if you can’t support your self at 5% then maybe it’s time to raise the rates and not default to asking the end user for another 18%.

Anyways if you could have snuck in with the early bird for the Odin they were a steal but those probably went quick.

Did they even offer to refill your drinks?

I wrote a whole thing about what tipping has become and how I hate it but I'm being sensitive to people who think they should get paid equally for handing you a bag of food out a drive through window (and getting the order wrong) as social workers do for dealing with the heavy poo poo and now I'm just super mad. I need gatorade and advil.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Everyone except for Mr. Pink. Says he doesn't tip.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Everyone except for Mr. Pink. Says he doesn't tip.

I'll note that "tip wage" horseshit should be abolished any any legislator who stands in the way of it's abolition should be stripped from office and fired towards the moon with or without spacecraft.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Mokotow posted:

I don’t know much about emulation, but I heard the Saturn is particularly nasty. Is the upcoming Saturn core for the MiSTER likely to solve those woes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-4Q8Dn6Ndo

They would have to program in the behaviors of all/most of the chips here. I don't know about the specs of the MiSTER dealie, but that's a lot of hardware to simulate in one FPGA, but could be done with a dedicated enough psychopath on the project.

e: Dropping these videos here, too, just because the Saturn hardware and resulting code is so overcomplicated it lands in an area beyond fascinating to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPaNNiB2H-s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU2UoxLtIm8

Explosionface fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 22, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I wouldn’t even has posted if it was like 5% but that default is just lol.

It’s just a shameless attempt to make the consumer feel bad so they can make more money.

It’s also greedy.

Yes I also realize you can change it to $0.

Also best of luck to the Odin 2 people getting their device sometime in late 2024!

Russ mentioned that Ayn and Retorid have the same parent company now?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I brought a few times from indiegogo and kickstarter, but I would never recommend it. The customer service is always non-existent. I am talking about 2 steps below aliexpress.

This tip thing will just make me swear off indiegogo and kickstarter for good.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

I dont know if it's my brain damage or what, but I find Kickstarter to be really confusing how there's no integrated system for doing a lot of the essential things and you have to babysit the projects you back (at 2 am and then forget about a month later). I got a cool graphic novel off there though.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Ohh man the X55 is $82 with the AliExpress sale right now fuuuu-

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Doh. I tried to setup my new Mini+ before heading out for the night but I couldn't get any roms to show up in OnionOS.
Well, I guess my train ride is going to be game-less one more time.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I've was hemming and hawing but I cancelled my Retroid Pocket 2s preorder and then I bought a japanese vita 2000.

I ultimately couldn't really come up with a good enough use case for something that is kind of in between on power and can't necessarily run gamecube / ps2 stuff well with the same size screen as my miyoo mini plus.

Also I wanted a new vita and it was vaguely the same price and I couldn't justify 3 handhelds in a month.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

ChiTownEddie posted:

Doh. I tried to setup my new Mini+ before heading out for the night but I couldn't get any roms to show up in OnionOS.
Well, I guess my train ride is going to be game-less one more time.

Hit select on the system selection screen and Refresh All, it'll dump the cache and rebuild it when you go into a system

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hit select on the system selection screen and Refresh All, it'll dump the cache and rebuild it when you go into a system

Sadly it didn't work even after I revisited the dirs, names, etc. I musta done something else wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I was gonna buy a Vita this week too but I remembered that I don’t like Vita games too much and the 405M was just $30 more. It’s a really nice feeling handheld though