Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Infinitum posted:

Regretting my decision to purchase a retro handheld due to the fact I now need to organise a collection of ROMs to put on the drat thing.

I got you covered, here's the only list of ROMs you'll ever need

Edit:

I picked up an RGB30 about a month ago. This is a great little machine for pico-8. I had never played anything in the library before, but splore is amazing and now I am hooked on the watermelon game. It's not all peaches though, as even on arkOS sometimes it refuses to turn without a reset. Also, I found the dpad cursed with "false diagonals" which made Picross, Link's Awakening, and the shooting sequences in Snatch as real pain. Kapton tape on the sensor pads seemed to do the trick.

MediumWellDone fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
Looking for a bit of hope in dark times.

I got myself an RGB30 late last year and have been having a great time with it. Especially pico8, big fan of the Suika Game Demake. However, the device has become unresponsive and I don't know if there is a fix.

I've been running ArkOS on it, and set it to update before I let the house. I've heard running the battery dry is a bad idea, so I left it plugged in too. Well, when I got back home it had turned off and wouldn't turn on. I believe the battery ran dry, so I opened it up to try disconnecting the battery as mentioned on the internet. I got it to turn back on, the update was successful but the thing wouldn't charge. Same deal with my JelOS SD card. Before, when I plugged it in to the USB port while off the charge light would light up, not anymore. Even when on, the battery level indicator wouldn't change to show it charging and leaving it like that for any period the percentage didn't increase. After a day I tried to dis/reconnect the battery again, but no luck.

In fact I am sure it is dead now. Nothing happens when I plug in the charge cable. When I push the power button for any period of time, the LED flashes green for a second and that's it.

Does anyone have any advice? I am super bummed out by this.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
Update.
Thanks for the tips and advice. I am not exactly sure how, but I got it charging again. It was something like disconnecting the battery, plugging in the power, turning it on (which worked this time!), reconnecting the battery. At some point I was able to turn it off and the regular charge light came on.

This handhelds are rough, but I guess that's how it works when they repurpose off the shelf parts for these things. This is my first, and in my market it wasn't exactly cheap, so the thought of losing it sucked.

Never let the battery fully drain.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Silly Burrito posted:

Just started tinkering with the Pico-8 on my Miyoo Mini. Already bought the license, any suggestions for some fun quick games?

I have been enjoying these puzzle games.

I would like to know about more single screen puzzle games for the pico-8, please share if you know any.

MediumWellDone fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 1, 2024

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
Does anyone have any tips for getting Drastic working on the RGB30 with Arkos?
When I load the game I just get a white screen and cannot open the Drastic menu with L3. I have tried getting the game from different sources, but always get the same result. I am guessing it may be a bios issue? But its pretty unclear how that can be resolved as Drastic is actually meant for Android.

Don't worry, I am just going to buy a DSi. lol

MediumWellDone fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Green Gloves posted:

Thinking about adding the RGB30 for some Pico 8 and schmup sction and the plus of having a horizontal handheld.

Can anyone provide their experiences? Ive watched some vids but it feels like some tubers tend to glorify these devices so I overlook a con or two.

I have an RGB30, and am running the latest ArkOS, also this is the only third party handheld that I own. I mainly use it for GB/C, Pico 8, and GBA. The screen is amazing for GB/C and Pico 8, and pretty nice for everything else. I found the stock D-pad a pain for playing Picross and Zelda, as I found it hard to keep a straight direction and often hit unexpected diagonals. I opened it up to add some tape and it's been great ever since. Expect that I find the edges sharp enough that after about 30 minutes of play I start to notice. Other buttons are fine, though the shoulders are load and clicky.

The quirks with the battery, charging, and powering on and off are real and a pain. Once I ran my battery down completely and it wouldn't charge until I opened it up and fiddled with the battery a bit. But I put up with them as this is all I have and the screen is rad for Pico 8. ArkOS give an option for quick power off that will make a save state for retroarch cores, but nothing else. That can cause an issue for Pico 8 loading into to Fake 8 sometimes.