Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Afaik you can just use normal ROMs on a 3ds if you don't use Nintendos built in emulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Moot .1415926535 posted:

These PlayStation style controllers aren’t cutting it for my Street Fighter needs, is there a controller that anyone recommends for SNES games?

Usb? If you can find it, I'm a big fan of the pokken controller. Same layout as a SNES controller, but ergo as gently caress. Not sure how it will do for fighting game controls (I don't think pokken uses rotations, but I haven't played it) and my internet is down at the moment so I can't check.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Walla posted:

So this may be a stupid question, but is there a reason to get one of these if you already have a soft-modded 3DS and/or PSP? I mean, is there something special these devices can do that the others can't?

It's hard to find a head-to-head between these things and hacked consoles, but not much of one as far as I can tell. The advantages that I see is that they're somewhat cheaper, come in different form factors, and don't require hacking, simple as it is.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

flavor.flv posted:

Glass and wood paneling... This is a seriously premium device

The 'wood' is plastic.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Probably want to throw a link to the MiSTer thread in there too, then.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905256

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Rolo posted:

Sorry to go back to yesterday’s subject but don’t we have a Nintendo hacking thread? I know we did last time I was looking at a flashcart eons ago.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The United States posted:

Looks like the Trimui got improved and price dropped, which makes it competitive for an ultra tiny ultra slim portable in the $50~ category

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sifOcAqpQg8

Well that's a half-drunk impulse buy. I've accumulated a number of "real" handhelds that will play whatever, but they're too big to actually carry around. This looks nicely pocket sized, I just hope the screen isn't too small for my ageing eyes.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Here is a hands on with it.

https://youtu.be/oLtiRGTZvGM

It seems to use the same CPU as the ps5?

It's a 4C/8T, 8 cu per the website, vs 8C/16T, 36 cu on the ps5.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

It should be fine for the 1280x800 resolution. The website says it's using RDNA 2 gpu cores, which aren't available in any APUs outside of the new consoles, so it's hard to say just how strong it will be on that front.

E: also lol at taking up a bunch of space for touchpads, causing the buttons to be awkwardly jammed in the corner, since the steam controller was so rousingly popular.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Missed those, that should be workable. Possibly a pain for those will small hands.

My few minutes with a steam controller were enough to sour me on thumb based touchpads as a primary control mechanism .

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

but can be wiped to run windows with no issues.

Depends on how the controller is connected. If it's just a USB device or a steam controller, sure, but if they're doing anything funky with it it could be a problem. All the sites covering it are down though, so getting info right now is difficult.

Running modern (non-switch) games off an SD card is going to be an exercise in pain.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Per valve, nope.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Gabe has confirmed they're selling at a loss, though the premium for storage has to help a bit. 64gb eMMC is one step above bottom tier Chromebooks. 256gb NVMe drives are $40-50 retail, vs the $130 price premium. 512 drives are $60 retail, vs a $250 markup, though you get an anti-glare treatment with that too.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Don't impulse buy things that tend to take two weeks to ship.

-The More You Know

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Wamdoodle posted:

Better yet do this and try and forget about it. It will be like a little gift from your past self

But I want it now!!!!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Weedle posted:

the idea of a handheld pc sold by a company from which you can expect some degree of after-sales support is certainly appealing. but they should have made the controls normal, and not offered the 64gb emmc version

It wouldn't get nearly the buzz with a $529 headline vs $399, and storage is the unsexy part so it's an easy cut, but it's hard to see the emmc version as anything but ewaste.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

Can the 399 version emulation Switch, PS2 and PS3 games off sd card?

Should be able to, yes.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

LODGE NORTH posted:

The $400 price point does make me wonder what the high-end stuff will be priced around going forward. It looks like the MOQI i7s, which used to be $400, is going for about $250 now at least on AE, but it is a few years old now.

The steam deck is being subsidized by valves nigh-monopoly on PC game distribution, smaller operations, especially those without a continuing revenue stream from the device (i.e. all of them) won't be able to come anywhere near that price point.

The steam deck looks really cool but it's far too large for me to actually take anywhere which means I don't have any use for it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Might be faked but word from reddit is that all models actually have a 2230 M.2 slot per an email to Gabe.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/olp163/was_wondering_if_the_steam_deck_will_have_a/

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

zachol posted:

Huh, neat. Hope the Deck spurs more options with more modest prices, although I'm a lot more interested now, hadn't noticed the PS3 performance.
Although is Valve taking that much of a loss on these? Seems odd that a recent $1000 handheld is somehow getting outstripped by a $400 option. I know there's going to be economy of scale stuff and the Aya team is smaller and needs bigger margins, but that's still pretty shocking. I guess you can compare the Deck's $400 to the $700ish for the preorders, but even then.

BoM is always hard to say, especially with a semicustom part like this CPU, but for comparison, the Lenovo IdeaPad flex (seemingly the only laptop available with AMD's newest APU), which has 2 fewer GPU cores and they're Vega, not rdna 2, 8gb of ram, 256gb of storage, and 14" 1080p screen, retails for $600. The steam deck also has brand new tooling for all it's parts.

Part of Valves math here is that they get a cut of most/all of the games you'll buy on this, something Aya doesn't have going for it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

The steam deck website has been updated to say all versions use a socketed 2230 m.2 module, but that they're "not intended for user replacement". Makes you wonder how hard this thing will be to open / replace the battery.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah getting the $399 version and a $100 512 m.2 would be a good way to go.

Worth noting it won't take a "normal" m.2, unless they've left a bunch of empty space next to the slot. Consumer drives are 2280, this takes a 2230, which are the stubby little drives you might find in a laptop. You can still get them but you'll most likely pay a premium, e.g. dell has a 512 on their website but it's $150.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Lester Shy posted:

I thought I was immune to the retro gaming bug, but then I hit my mid-30s and now I'm shopping for handhelds.

I don't know if I'm searching for the wrong terms, but I'm having trouble finding out how well these modern retro consoles handle suspension, i.e., putting the console to sleep in the middle of a game and picking it back up right where you left off. It's my favorite feature on the Switch (and the DS :rip:). Is this a common feature? Something they do natively? Is there any specific console I should look at if this is a big selling point for me?

Worst case just make a save state?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Well I can't say I expected a one of that.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Got my Powkiddy A66 / Trimui Model S finally, and there's like an oily rainbow sheen on the front plastic, seemingly on the inside of the device. Its not visible when you're looking at it dead-on so its not like a major deal, but its kind of disconcerting. Does anyone else's have something like that going on?

Also, any recommendations for a screen protector?

E: after opening it up and giving the inside a good isopropyling, I can confidently say it's a property of the plastic itself, and don't open it up.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 12, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

JazzFlight posted:

This is a general emulation question, but anyone know why MAME always needs particular romsets unlike just random rom files like any other emulator?

The Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator emulates a bunch of different hardware platforms, you need the right rom for the right hardware. Lots of arcade machines are entirely unique and custom systems that's purpose built to run one / a handful of games. Also, different versions of MAME support different hardware.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

teagone posted:

Started my Metroid journey on my 351P, and man, Metroid on NES is hard as gently caress lol. It's a lot of fun though, and with some really great music. Everything I've read online tells me to just play Zero Mission instead haha.

Do yourself a favor and use the 'spawn with full health's hack. And get some graph paper.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I don't usually watch the videos on the boxes, do any of them have better price/perf than a Pi? I'm well aware of the pita that is getting RetroPie set up, but from the vids I've seen you appear to be stuck with a sizable shortfall in capability in exchange for that convenience.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Chas McGill posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread. Anyone have any idea why Bsnes only seems to run at 30fps (essentially half speed, judging by the sound) on my Ryzen 3600? I tried looking for a framerate limiter, but couldn't see anything like that. Default settings. I feel like the machine should be able to handle SNES emulation.

There's got to be a setting misconfigured somewhere, there's no reason a 3600 can't run it with all the bells and whistles. Is the run-ahead set really high maybe?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

njsykora posted:

Not the mini PC things really no, they can run higher end emulation like PSP and Gamecube and PS2 but most of them cost 3-4x the price of an 8gb Pi and a nice case to keep any overclocks cool. Android TV boxes seem to be the sweet spot for price/performance at this point since even the top level Nvidia Shield is the same price as the Super Console X King.

Nah I meant android boxes vs the pi, given that you shouldn't need an 8gb pi for emulation and I was under the impression the pi was more powerful than the $50 android boxes.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I think I'm going to pick up one of the game and watch screen protectors for the trikui model s, but the only come in a 4 pack, anyone else want one?

Also, does anyone have a good way to get the SD card out? The only ways I can manage are unscrewing the back or tweezers, neither of which I'd like to do much more.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

No, I'm just serious lacking in fingernails, I tried that but I guess I didn't push in hard enough. Well that makes things easy, thanks.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

Can't you use a Philip driver?

No, I mean I can do it, but with my short fingernails it didn't depress when I tried before. Add in probably mixing up some device reviews vis-a-vis hard to access SD cards and I figured it wasn't a push type.

Pulling it out before probably wasn't great for the mechanism but it still works so :/

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

It's been a long time since I've seen a micro in person but isnt it like twice as thick as the trimui too?

The pocketability of the trimui is even better than I hoped it would be, it functionally adds no bulk to a pocket.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/SBCGaming/comments/puymhq/powkiddy_a66_external_battery_mod/

:cripes:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

evilmiera posted:

I'm guessing the answer to my question is always going to be "wait for a new model or pricedrop" but is an Anbernic 351MP worth the money right now? And as a European what are my options other than AliExpress or hoping that I pick the right model from Amazons autotranslated mess?

I know I am probably going to hate myself if I get a device I can't emulate N64 games at a decent framerate on it, even though my main emulation is going to be stuff like Amiga, GB/GBA and the like.

N64 is a bitch-and-a-half to emulate to begin with, I don't think any of the current crop of affordable devices handle the library handily. And, at least in the US Ali or Amazon are your only good options. Reportedly most/all of the other storefronts are just dropshipping from Ali anyways.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Lmao at it being incompatible with a couple of the carts.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Manky posted:

Yep. These shots either make you :eyepop: or not (from the DF video)

0/10 not washed out enough.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

beep-beep car is go posted:

And if it's getting closed anytime soon, how hard is it to mod your Wii-U to let you keep on playing your "backups"?

Trivial. You used to need a DS game from the eshop to make it easy, as of Jan. 1 you don't even need that anymore.

https://wiiu.hacks.guide/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

e: nvm. I guess that is a possible price for those these days.