Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

What is that silver... thing... right above the keyboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Tiny Myers posted:

I know there was a hacking/homebrew thread around here a while back, is that still around? I was wondering if it's still feasible to hack my 3DS and if that might be a cheaper alternative.
And here's the most popular 3DS hacking guide.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You might want to mention how long ago you followed that guide, if it's since the last 3DS firmware update there's no problem, but if it's before that you probably don't want to use a YouTube guide. The text guide I linked before is aggressively upkept, but some random YouTuber probably put up their guide 2+ years ago and then forgot about it, which could lead to a brick if you're trying to do something Nintendo has patched out since the guide went up.

E: Okay, looking at it that video is from last month, so it's probably safe to follow.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Deck definitely won't fit into anyone's pocket - my Switch barely fits into the pockets of my most spacious pants in its carrying case - but it should still fit in most laptop bags, even in the side/front pockets, I think.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Marx Headroom posted:

I can't really justify a $400 Pocket having spent $600 on a Deck but me and my beat up Micro Advance SP will be cheering you all on
:same:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

drat, you can't keep anything gaming-related in stock these days, can you?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

njsykora posted:

I think the internals of a lot of electronics get issues if you sneeze on them.
How about "if you look at them wrong" then?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You think it's emulating a PSP emulating a PlayStation?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The United States posted:

This portable famiclone contains a surprise inside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIuXcJH6s_E
Are you a clickbait article writer?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The United States posted:

Also Ars front page articles aren't the point of the site any more than SA front page articles are the point of this site.
Oh, right, Something Awful dot com has a front page. :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think the main 3DS emulator, Citra, is still in the "making sure games work" stage as opposed to the "optimization so people can actually run it" stage.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I dunno if I'd expect the Deck this year if you just reserved one recently. I reserved mine the day after they opened for reservations and I'm in the July-October bracket. "After Q3" just means sometime after October, so unless you actually have a Q4 estimate it could be literally any time after that.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Third Party Retro Consoles: This is gonna be a sickness huh?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DrWrestling69 posted:

I will likely use 3ds stuff at some point too.
I haven't even had this thing online for about five years. Am I better doing a system update before I try hacking it?
The guide Saoshyant posted has different methods for hacking depending upon your official firmware version, I don't know if there's any real advantage to updating now because the last time I checked you needed to downgrade to version 9.something to actually install the custom firmware. The guide will probably have you update to the lastest OFW afterwards though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Whereas I want the concave X and Y buttons from the ugly as hell American controller.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I also think the US ad campaign didn't really help. Instead of "hey look at this quirky version of Americana" they decided to market the game with a bunch of fart noises and "THIS GAME STINKS". And like that probably won the hearts of some of the kids that were their target audience, but they're trying to get to the wallets of the parents, and that's not really the best way to sell a parent on your game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The_White_Crane posted:

Steel Battalion... :sigh:
That game doesn't work well without its controller though IIRC.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

goblin week posted:

Does a console that’d be an Ultimate DS exist yet?
One with actual two screens?
Just gonna point you over to this thread in SAMart where goon jbone sells refurbed PSPs and DSes for entirely reasonable prices. He currently has one DSi XL, which should come with Unlaunch already installed on it, which allows you to stick TwilightMenu++ on an SD card, and also a bunch of Lites and original model DSes. Bought a DSi XL from him myself, works like a dream.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd recommend the Pro 2, the D-pad is great on it. It's absolutely a great controller for both retro and modern games. It's also much more ergonomic than a SNES controller, which I realized after buying one of the official Nintendo Switch SNES controllers.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

beer gas canister posted:

grab a cheap DSi XL from jbone in the SA mart thread!
I'll vouch for this as well, I'm quite pleased with my purchase. They come with Unlaunch pre-installed, so you don't even have to hack them, just stick TwilightMenu on an SD card and you're good to go.

Here's a link to the thread.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Seeing as people were talking about flashcarts earlier, is asking what the best one for DS currently is and where is the best place to buy one too :filez:? I have a DSi and TwilightMenu but I'm missing the save states from a good flashcart and of course TM has some compatibility issues. I of course will only play video games that I legally own and have dumped myself on this flashcart. :ssh:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

MockingQuantum posted:

Where are people seeing the percentage queue for the Deck? Mine still just says I'll get an email someday
https://getmydeck.ingenhaag.dev/

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Photex posted:

It's not permanently attached
So you're saying that Razer's new gaming handheld is... a phone. With a Kishi included.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm picturing Marcus's avatar, but Luigi is connecting handhelds.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

MarcusSA posted:

Well tbf I’ve sold two of them to other goons so really it’s

Aya Neo OG
GPD win max
Steam deck
Odin pro
GPD win max 2

kirbysuperstar posted:

Marcus please stop buying handhelds

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

kirbysuperstar posted:

I never got far in it initially because I had a slow SD card/R4 so I ran into the uh, inadvertent anti-piracy of the game not being able to load fast enough and crashing, but yeah it's pretty good!
Yeah I remember it being pretty crashy on my M3 back in the day, good to know it probably won't happen on TwilightMenu if I get impatient about waiting for a DS collection from Konami.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Steam Deck, 3DS, DSi, and PS Vita here, though I haven't used the Vita much recently. I mostly play different games on each, so save syncing isn't an issue for me.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think the thread has a new Marcus. :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

stephenthinkpad posted:

Does any new console has 3x2 screen with is a compromise of 4x3 and 16x9?
Ah, so your SD games can be stretched and your HD games can be squished! The worst of both worlds! Although that's the aspect ratio handhelds like the GBA and DS were at, right? Might be ideal for GBA at least.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I still have a GBA SP and I'd rather pick up a flashcart for that if I'm not going to play on like my Steam Deck or something. No real appeal to me personally.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Steam Desk.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's only slightly less portable than a Switch imo, it's not gonna fit in your pocket but I bring it to work with me, and I could see someone bringing it on a train.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

sethsez posted:

The Steam Deck is too big in the same way the Miyoo Mini is too small. It works for plenty of people, it doesn't work for others (at least in some circumstances), but it's undeniably at an extreme and it's not hard to envision why there's a sizeable audience for something closer to a normal handheld size for a variety of reasons.
Oh, I still bring my 3DS/DSi places because A) they're OG hardware and B) they fit in my pockets, but people who don't have a Deck seem to assume that it's a lot heavier and more unwieldy than it actually is. It's probably more comfortable than playing a Switch with regular joycons attached because of the ergonomics, tbh.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

njsykora posted:

With custom firmware you can also set it so older 3DS games can take advantage of the New 3DS' extra power, though it says it breaks things in some games I haven't seen anything break yet and it helps the games that have minor framerate dips remain stable.
I can tell you from personal experience that Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked will not even boot if you force N3DS clock speeds. Ironic, I know, and also that game is not particularly demanding even of the old 3DS hardware, so it's not a big deal.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

icantfindaname posted:

Not a retro console questoin per se, but what controller has the best d-pad? Just buy a dualshock 4 or are there any third party ones?

Beard Yawn posted:

I like the 8bitdo Pro 2 a lot.
:haibrower:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rolo posted:

I buckled on a Game Gear Deck. If I don’t like it I’ll sell it :shrug:

How long these things take to ship and deliver in the US? Bummer there weren’t options.
I got mine in about a week from the point of sale, but that was back in late July, who knows how things are now.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Taking my laptop with me on my morning train to play a little Spider-Man and God of War.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, the Vita isn't an emulation powerhouse but it's great for PSX and will do okay with anything less demanding.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

coconono posted:

Yeah you can get 2 hours of battery life running a good ps2 emulator on a gpd win 2. That’s at like $600+ which gets you into the cheap laptop and a gamepad price point. Steamdeck/Loki/etc at the $400 levels but you’re hamstrung by supplier side issues.

But at the $200 price point, there’s the engineering challenge still. Anyone that solves the GPU power draw issue at $200 level problem punches their ticket to fame and fortune.
AFAIK the Steam Deck supply issues have been ironed out and people are getting their Decks like a week or two after they order them now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The HD remasters do, yes.