Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rolo posted:

I’m getting no (noticeable) input lag now that I have Retroarch working again with the stock controller configuration. Only weird thing is Pokemon Sapphire. When I press a direction the character faces that direction and takes a split second to start walking towards it. Did the original game do that?

Yeah that's just how it works. I think all the older Pokemon games are like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yeah I was waiting for the 351P but it seems a little janky. I might just spring for the 350P because I doubt I'll really play anything more advanced than PS1 on it anyway. I don't mind the lower res screen because the vast majority of PS1-and-below games run at 240p

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

One might say it's the best game

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bourricot posted:

If I want to play Chrono Trigger for the first time, which version should I go for? SNES, PS1 or NDS? (FWIW, I'd be playing on my RG351P)

SNES or DS. DS has a different translation which some people like but I have more nostalgia for the SNES one. Either one plays great. Just don't do the PS1 version lol.

Rolo posted:

I went SNES. It runs flawlessly and I (don’t hate me) feel like the DBZ cinematics bring me out of the experience. I’d rather play the OG then check out the movies on YouTube.

Also, it may be different nowadays, but the PlayStation version of the game had god awful loading times before every single fight that were somehow ported into the digital PlayStation version.

My possibly wrong opinion: play SNES, crank the music and enjoy one of the best video games.

Yeah the PS1 load times are horrible, basically it's because for some reason it uses the Japanese ROM and applies the translation on the fly which makes it too big to all fit in the PS1's RAM at once.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It looks cool but I don't like the vertical Game Boy form factor for stuff that uses shoulder buttons. I even prefer the original GBA's layout over the SP for that reason

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The_White_Crane posted:

Has anyone with an RG351 played Golden Sun?

I'm quite tempted to buy one of these just to replay those games, but they're notoriously hard to emulate. If anyone's played it, can you tell me A) how it performs and whether or not it stutters in battle scenes and B) whether or not any of the emulators will run it without displaying the odd sprite layering glitches that you can see in the sunlight on the title screen or in Mercury Lighthouse.

Not sure how the RG351 runs it but if that's all you want to use it for you might be better off just getting a used GBA and a flashcart.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

You’re a rich game, and you’ve gone too far
Cause you know they won’t play it anyway

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The 351v looks cool but I really prefer a landscape form factor for anything that uses shoulder buttons

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

There are some games that are better with a second stick on PS1. Like Medal of Honor and mega man legends 2

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Weedle posted:

truly tragic that the dreamcast failed before it could be blessed with even one shrek game

The Dreamcast/Shrek divide is the true line between retro and modern gaming

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

But the Gameboy Color had a Shrek game* and that is definitely a retro system

*which was a terrible game whose only merit was that it was rare enough that GameStop gave me 20 bucks for it as a trade in back in like 2007 or something

If it has a Shrek game it’s modern. This means the PS5 and Xbox Series X are retro

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

There's also MiSTer which will give you a much more accurate experience but there's no cores for PS1/PSP at the moment (though PS1 at least is in development)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SchnorkIes posted:

Yeah I'm honestly making a pared down "best of" set so I don't have 16,000 games on there when there's probably 30 that will ever see play.

I do this with all my flashcarts and whatnot, I actually enjoy making a curated collection, going through best games and hidden gems lists and whatnot

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Stefan Prodan posted:

what all can vita run, does it run PS1 games full speed like the PSP did?

(I know it's more powerful but the PSP had like a special chip to run stuff natively right)

PS1 works great on Vita, plus the second analog stick gives you more control mapping options

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

If that powkiddy thing is any good I might actually pick it up, I like the look and the bigger screen seems nice

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rolo posted:

I didn’t realize that Analogue system was so popular. It looks cool but cartridges? Pass.

Well it's not really attempting to do the same thing as other retro handhelds. Analogue systems use an FPGA to recreate the hardware as accurately as possible, giving a way more accurate experience to the original consoles. Also every previous console they've released has gotten an unofficial jailbreak firmware letting you just run roms from an SD card so this one probably will too.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Analogue devices are too pricy for me and I generally like playing on OG hardware but they're really cool

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

That does remind me, apparently the Powkiddy RGB10 Max apparently came out just yesterday, will be interesting to see how that one pans out

Oh poo poo that might be the first one of these things I actually buy. I like the form factor and it has a big rear end screen with a 480 vertical resolution.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Stefan Prodan posted:

Can you give some examples? I'm trying to think of like PS1/N64 games or earlier that I would want two sticks for

Medal of Honor and Mega Man Legends 2

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Barudak posted:

Mega Man Legends needs a whole new control scheme, yes

MML2 has dual analog controls already

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jesus Christ. I literally bought one on Mercari last night for way more

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I'm not mad, I'm actually laughing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rolo posted:

On a whim I checked GameStop and they have a “GameStop Premium Refurbished” New 3DS XL in orange/white for $149 so I snagged it.

This model is hackable right? I want to play everything from the original DS to whatever came out before Nintendo dropped the console.

Also any word on if this refurb is anything close to Nintendo’s in quality?

I’m pretty sure every 3DS model is hackable up to and including the most recent firmware. It’s pretty easy too, I just did it a couple weeks ago.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rolo posted:

There’s a typo in my post! It’s the NEW 2DS XL, not 3DS.

This one

Still good to go?

Yep! I just got a New 2DS XL and hacked it just fine :)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rolo posted:

Mind throwing your good buddy the guide you used :heysexy:

I assume I’ll need some kind of hardware flashcart?

Nope! It’s all done in software, no flashcart needed. Use this one:

https://3ds.hacks.guide

Update the 2DS to the latest firmware and use the boot9strap browser method

EDIT: You’ll need a microSD card to do it but you should have one for games anyway.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rolo posted:

Just got my GameStop refurb 2DS and I think I won the lottery on it. I can’t find a single defect. The hinge clicks pretty loud when opened and wobbles a little bit but if you told me it did this from the factory I’d believe you, it’s not that bad.

Yeah they're just like that by design

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Weedle posted:

the 3ds hinge feels really bad compared to the ds, but apparently the stiffer hinges start breaking at an astonishing rate after a few years so i guess they had to

Yeah I think the wobbliness of the hinge helps it not get overstressed over time. DS Lite hinges were notorious for snapping right off after a while

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That little guy actually looks pretty cool

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

LLCoolJD posted:

Was the Amiga bigger in Europe? It wasn't a thing where I grew up. Looks like a nicely done nostalgia package, though.

Yeah it was way more popular in Europe, the UK and Germany especially

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

teagone posted:

I got around to loading a bunch of Final Burn Neo ROMs onto my 351 and drat, I missed arcade games so much lol. CPS2 and Neo Geo games specifically. Fuckin' Alien vs. Predator is so good lol.

AvP arcade kicks rear end and it sucks that the only legit way to get it nowadays is that weird Capcom home arcade thing.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Harminoff posted:

Thinking of grabbing a retro console for my MIl. is there one with a large screen for under $100? Otherwise, is there a decent one to connect to tv? I'd go PI however I've had issues with hard shutting them off and corrupting the data, so would like something a little more error proof.

The biggest screen afaik is the PowKiddy RGB10 Max which is around $120

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

flavor.flv posted:

This might be just the thing:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPWw8Dl

7 inch display, tv out, less than $75 shipped if you go with the cheapest option and provide your own sd card

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECB1SRkJ7SU

It's not anbernic quality, but you won't find anything better in that price range

*David Byrne voice* Cool baby

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I have an array of retro systems with flash carts, a Switch, a PS5 and a PC and for two weeks I've been playing nothing but MTG Arena

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lester Shy posted:

It's a little of both IME. Even when I try to play or replay a classic JRPG these days I just don't have the patience like I did as a kid.

I actually have more patience for them now. I beat all the DS Dragon Quest remakes this summer

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Anime is good

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The RG351MP seems like the best of the 351 series to me, personally I don't like the vertical orientation of the V so having the same screen with a good resolution/aspect ratio for console games in a horizontal form factor is ideal

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Weedle posted:

and the nintendo switch which i understand to be quite popular

Never heard of it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Third Party Retro Consoles: I’m Dumb

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

A dingoo ate my baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Walla posted:

My Vita and 3DS feel too small sometimes. Anything smaller I wouldn't be able to use.

On topic, what's the best solution for Saturn emulation that's under $300? It doesn't even have to be a portable, it just needs decent emulation speed for Saturn/GameCube with the PS2 and Wii being nice bonuses.

Saturn emulation is notoriously wonky. You’re probably better off just getting a used Saturn and installing an ODE