Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Agrias120 posted:

I did have a super weird issue where the first time I saved over top of that SRM, it didn't seem to stick.though.

I don't have any of these devices yet, but I'm very familiar with Retroarch, and a couple caveats are important:

-It doesn't necessarily save SRM to a file the moment you use the in-game save; try to remember to 'Close Content' or 'Quit Retroarch' when you're finished playing a game, rather than just using the device's home screen button or whatever. I think there's an option to write immediately, but it can cause performance issues with slower media, better to just always close/quit proper.

-By default, it saves and loads SRM state alongside everything else when using savestates. So for example, if you have auto-save/load state on, run a game as far as the title screen, say "oh I need my sram" and close it, copy over your srm data, then re-run the game.. it'll auto-load your title screen state along with the srm state at the time and you'll never see your copied srm save. The reason it does this is to avoid issues with srm-desyncing for games that might passively store data in srm (which I know of exactly zero), and that option can probably be safely turned off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

knuthgrush posted:

I'm looking for something that will do emulation (I mostly play shmups/bullet hell so the systems I play are wide and varied), will play video, will play audio with good sound, has a pretty screen, and will fit in my nosferatu-esque claws. If it happens to be android based, bonus points if it's de-googled. I don't care if it has any network capabilities. Do any of these whizbang gadgets fall into some intersection of the above?

I've only started researching these devices myself, and just ordered a RG351V, but from my research it depends on what all you want to emulate, and what your priorities are. AFAIK most of these systems all run on Retroarch, and can handle most things up to the PSX era, some N64 with difficulty, nothing really beyond that. Retroarch can technically play video and audio with its FFMPEG plugin, but it'd be playing individual files like you would a rom, not a terribly useful interface. I've not heard of any of them having a good video/music player with a particularly usable UI, but then, you already have a phone, so why not keep using it for that? It's not like you need a controller for those functions.

The Retroid Pocket 2 can dual-boot into Android, but I don't know about de-googleification. You should be able to install whatever APKs you want, but keep in mind it doesn't have a touch screen.

See the OP for the recommended devices, but if your heart's set on it as a media player also, I think you're out of luck there.

Edit: Also, to add something to this thread; the anbernic devices look really good but need like one or two extra buttons for misc things in Retroarch. After searching and searching I finally found this "NanoButton" at https://www.ultimarc.com/arcade/nanobutton/, but it's costing me a whopping $56 shipped for two, and it's USB A so it'll be jutting out with an adapter. I don't suppose anyone knows of a similar device that's USB C?

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 25, 2021

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Weedle posted:

what "misc things" are those? i haven't come across anything i can't do in retroarch on the 351 but i'm not exactly a power user

Fast Forward, Rewind, Save state, Load state, State+/-, Menu..

It's not a big deal for SNES/GBA/etc where you have superfluous buttons, but for PSX where you only have exactly the number that's needed for the gamepad it's a pain. Retroarch does have a 'modifier button' option to hold to access control functions, but it doesn't look like there's even one to spare on most of these devices.

What I like to do is set L2 as the 'modifier' button, but then I need another one somewhere if I want to be able to easily press L2 on the emulated system. Unfortunately for whatever reason Retroarch only lets you set system actions to be accessed with the modifier, not normal gamepad buttons.

There's an option to delay the modifier button so a quick tap will pass it through, but then you can't pass a long hold through, and you have to wait a bit while holding it to access those system functions.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Agrias120 posted:

Fn+ L1 SS load
Fn+R1 SS Save
Fn+L2 Fast forward
Fn+R2 FPS display
Fn+ left/right change SS slot
Fn+ up/down change volume
Fn+L3 open Retroarch Menu

Oh, I assumed that was just for jumping out of Retroarch and getting to Anbernic's OS or whatever. That button was never mentioned or described in anything I saw. Well, drat. At least these USB buttons are fully programmable, and I've got plenty of PC/Laptop usage ideas for them!

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Lockback posted:

Got a PiBoy today! Here it is next to my hacked Vita.

Sorry to derail a bit, but can I ask what resources you used for Vita hacking? I've got one sitting in my basement collecting dust right now. I've already ordered an RG351V, but no reason not to make this thing useful also I guess.

Tried searching these forums, just ended up finding someone complaining about poor snes support on Vita followed by MarcusSA's link back here, heh.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Rolo posted:

Got another 351V today, can confirm that cloning both SD cards totally clones the system, which means keeping a total backup is way easier than backing up the Retroid Pocket 2. I now have a compressed folder for each card tucked away for if I mess up.

Oh, yeah, it runs entirely off the SD cards, no inherent firmware.

I am in love with this thing. Beta 5 of Retro Arena is now out at https://techtoytinker.com/handheld-corner. Other than N64, everything runs like a dream. There's some issue with standalone Mupen he's still trying to get worked out, so it's using the comparatively slow core in Retroarch. If N64 is important to you stick with stock, but for everything else, it's fantastic.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 5, 2021

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Rolo posted:

The 351V OS SD is partitioned in a way that windows doesn’t like. Can someone recommend a decent app to image it, partitions and all? Is that even possible?

Not trying to change it, just back it up for when I inevitable try to do big changes.

I'd advise pulling out the stock sd1 drive, putting it in a drawer somewhere, and getting a separate sub-$10 sandisk 16g/32g to image with Rufus. Leave the stock SD alone as your backup.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

frogbs posted:

Does anyone know if any of these newer emulator handhelds support Bluetooth audio? I’m so tired of wires, I just want to use my AirPods with everything. I understand there can be a little lag with Bluetooth, but it doesn’t bother me for most games.

I've been following the RG Handhelds discord rg351v channel and this actually came up last night. The guy who develops the Retro Arena custom os, slaminger, said he's got BT itself working and pairing, but hasn't sorted out how to actually redirect audio as yet. It's on the todo list, but of course no guarantees until it happens. If it gets resolved, I would think it may get backported to other Anbernic devices. As of yet though, no, it's not working on those.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

frogbs posted:

The RG351v might be more comfortable AND possibly support bluetooth, while also being more powerful. So that might be the way to go...

Worth noting that the rg351v does still have a 3.5mm jack, and if bluetooth does get going it's still unlikely to support low-latency codecs. Just mentioning it because I've ordered a aptx-LL 3.5mm transmitter and headset and plan on using those, regardless of whether BT is ever supported natively. I find audio lag very frustrating while gaming.

I ordered mine straight from Anbernic and it only took a little under a week shipping, but I also sprung for Fedex delivery.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 13, 2021

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

frogbs posted:

Good call on an external aptx adapter, i'm going to try that.

Just a heads up, I got that adapter in today and it's unusable due to a terrible buzzing. I suspect a ground loop isolator would help but that'd be more bulky than I'd like, so for now I'm just gonna wait and hope that one of the custom OSes sort out audio device redirection; the buzzing wouldn't be an issue if a usb-c adapter works.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

pootiebigwang posted:

Has anyone installed any of the available custom firmwares for the RG351V? I'm still waiting on mine to arrive but I read that ArkOS or 351Elec is the way to go. I want to try ArkOS since I hear the N64 performance is improved but I am a bit confused as to rather or not it uses the second SD card slot for roms or if I would need to install everything on one.

I've gone back and forth between ArkOS and TheRA. I haven't tried 351Elec.

I settled on ArkOS, mainly because it has sleep, and it handles ScummVM better (which is a silly thing to care about on this device, admittedly). But ArkOS mounts the second SD card as /roms2 instead of /roms, which I've found does seem to cause some problems, notably with some Amberports stuff that doesn't seem to path properly. So far I've been able to fix most of these by editing the .sh launch scripts, but I don't know how far into the weeds you really want to get.

TheRA doesn't have a sleep mode at all, which is a killer IMO. I don't know about 351Elec.

TheRA and ArkOS are both still in active development right now, but the ArkOS dev has said he plans to stop continuing once he considers this build final. TheRA dev plans on continuing on forever from the sound of it.

All OS's will use the second card with different filesystem requirements. It'd be a good idea to check which filesystem your OS of choice will need and set up your sd2 in advance. If you're not sure, go with exfat, as they all support it one way or another, albeit reluctantly.

I wouldn't expect most N64+ to be especially enjoyable no matter what OS you use. AFAIK there isn't a whole lot of difference between them, I think they're all running the parallel n64 core in retrorun32. Maybe one of them will be slightly better if they get a standalone emulator going instead of an RA core, but I wouldn't hope for a miracle. PSX on down are great though. I believe ArkOS has added a couple newer cores that don't run well and aren't practical, while TheRA was more focused on getting obscure old systems running.

If you want to keep tabs on updates, ask for help, or find how-tos on various things (like adding the theme downloader to ArkOS), you'll want to be in the anbernic-rg351v channel on the RG Handhelds Discord. I've gotten way too obsessed with this over the past couple weeks.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 24, 2021

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

CFox posted:

Does ArkOS have good default settings for the games/cores in retro arch or am I going to need to spend some time researching and tweaking at first?

Yes, the default settings in both ArkOS and TheRA are fine. That said, they both include a "RetroArch" menu with retroarch and retroarch32 without cores in it so you can go in and change default settings to your liking. The only thing you definitely want to change is in Settings, Scaling, Aspect Ratio; I keep that at "Core Provided", for some reason they had that at 3:2 previously, even on the v's 4:3 screen. Other than that it's just a matter of preference. I like to turn on Rewind globally, and turn it off per-core for the later ones that can't handle the performance hit.

If you're familiar with Retroarch at all, the settings should already be familiar to you. If you're not, and you're at all into retro gaming, it's probably time to get familiar at this point.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

CFox posted:

Well my 351V got here and it's great but ArkOS wouldn't install once I inserted it into the machine.

I don't quite understand what this means; you flash the image to your first sd card with an imaging tool (I use Rufus), put it in sd slot 1 with slot 2 empty, then boot from it. The first time you run it, it'll expand the extra partition to fill the card, then reboot to ES. What part of that process failed?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Rolo posted:

Has anyone gotten ScummVM to work on the stock 351V? I can't figure out what folder to use.

edit: The OS card has a scummvm folder but my ROM card doesn't. hmm.

You may need to create .scummvm files to get it to recognize the game.

For example, in your "Day of the Tentacle" folder, create a file "Day of the Tentacle.scummvm" containing the text "tentacle".

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

This morning, from the 351Elec discord:

Cebion posted:

Alright folks! Announcement time!

After long discussions the 351ELEC team decided to
unarchive the project and keep on releasing updates for the 351P/M/V family.
As of today I will take ownership of the project.
We will primarily focus on fixing open bugs at first.

If you have any interest in contributing feel free to visit us in our Discord.

For those keeping track, that's now ArkOS and 351Elec that are both no longer discontinued, alongside TheRA which never was.

What a time to own a rg351.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

frogbs posted:

Does anyone know if there’s a way to disable the rumble on boot up on the stock rg351v firmware?

There's no way to disable the rumble on boot entirely even using a custom OS. It's one of the main things the devs in the v channel on Discord were grumbling about; that and the weird USB hardware for the controller that doesn't always want to come back after sleep. I believe both TheRA and ArkOS have some fix in place that reduces the time it spends rumbling to just a couple seconds, though. I assume 351Elec as well.

remigious posted:

I have already run into an issue. I’m not very tech savvy myself, just following guides online. I’m trying to switch everything over to a new sd card, but when I plug my sd card into my computer it says the disk needs to be reformatted? I saw that retro game corps has a video about this issue, but my computer isn’t even showing any partitions, just an empty drive. Any ideas?

The cards that come with these things are cheap and Windows is finicky, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was weirdly partitioned or just broken enough for Windows to melt down. If it's booting while in your p, it might be easier to pull your data from that, over wifi with a dongle, or possibly to a USB drive via OTG? I'm not sure if the p stock os has a file manager or supports reading/writing to USB sticks. Alternatively you could try running a raw disk scanning undelete tool on the drive, but that would probably take forever and I wouldn't go that route unless you *really* desperately need to keep that Pokemon save or whatever.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

infinite99 posted:

Does 351Elec have a proper sleep function when you press the power button? I think ArkOS does that at the moment which is pretty nice though a little bit janky

351Elec sleeps as well as ArkOS does, which is to say sometimes it crashes and in certain cases the controller doesn't come back. It mostly works but always savestate first.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Nickoten posted:

Sorry to keep asking about this, but as a follow up: I bought a big SD card to go with the 351V. Can I take the SD card that comes with it out, install the new one with 351Elec to the first slot, and then just throw the existing SD card into the second slot to use whatever games came preloaded on it?

No, all the OS's including 351elec are designed to use either the rest of the space on the main SD, or the entire second SD, not both together.

You could copy whatever the preloaded games are *onto* the big SD card, but they're kind of a haphazard disorganized mess and you probably don't actually want to.

What you actually probably want to do is just format the big SD to whatever your OS of choice likes (exfat for 351elec), use that as your SD2, and put 351elec on the card that came with the v as SD1. The defaults for both 351Elec and ArkOS put your saved games etc. on the second card intentionally, so you can re-image the primary card without losing anything.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 1, 2021

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've been digging through the settings in retro arch, but I can't get it to work. Often I have to reset the device because some controller settings don't allow me to navigate the menus anymore.

RetroArch makes this really confusing, and if you're not familiar with it it's really unintuitive. There's a couple different 'layers' of settings, global and core-specific. It sounds like you were messing with the RetroArch global layer input settings - the ones you get to if you open up the quick menu within a game and then 'back out' of it and go into settings. I don't think there's any other way you could've broken menu navigation.

When you open the menu from within a game, it opens in what for some reason it calls the "Quick Menu", which actually contains all the core-specifc settings. You usually want to stay in the quick menu, and NOT back out of it and mess with global settings unless you're sure what you're doing.

In the quick menu, there's a setting for "Options". This contains every option that the emulator core itself exposes to retroarch, basically everything that would be specific to that particular emulator. The first option, "Manage Core Options", is where you go to switch these options to per-game. If you don't touch that, changing any option will change it for that emulator as a whole, regardless of what you're playing. If you choose "Save Game Options" in there, all these options will now only be set for that particular game. Every Playstation emulator has a 'second memory card' option somewhere in its options. I suggest turning this on first so it's enabled globally, before using the "Save Game Options" setting. Some Playstation emulators have its pad 1 type here also, but I think psx-rearmed is the 351elec default, and that one doesn't.

Also in the quick menu, there's a setting for "Controls". This is where you map RetroArch's global inputs to the emulator-specific inputs. Go into Controls, then Port 1 Controls. The first option here is "device type". For psx-rearmed, this lets you choose between "standard" (no analog), dualshock, and a several other things I've never used. If you want the analog stick to work, choose dualshock, so it will emulate a dualshock controller. Back out and just below "device type" is "Analog to Digital Type". Set that to "none". This is what's causing the analog stick to mimic d-pad buttons. You can then look over the button mapping if you want, but you shouldn't need to change anything. Just back out, then choose "Save Game Remap File" in that controls menu. Now these settings will stay every time you run that game. You can also "Save Core Remap File" if you want, but be warned that not all games support dualshock, so if you do that some games might not receive input until you go back in and change it back to "standard".

Edit - it makes more sense to think of the global input settings as a different layer rather than a different scope.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 11, 2021

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

On the 351v, while you can sleep it, the power button sticks out just enough that if I slip it into my pants pocket, it'll inevitably power on in there and I won't notice until my thigh is on fire. So be careful with that.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Stefan Prodan posted:

My 351m has 351 elec on it and man this thing does not hold a charge at all in sleep mode, it's losing like 50 percent battery a day or something and when I turned it on today after it was at 40 percent yesterday it crashed to a bunch of command line errors and then said LOW BATTERY and kept vibrating until I turned it off

Am I doing something wrong here? Can I not just suspend it by tapping the power button? Do I have to full power it off every time? That's kind of lame

Assuming the 351m is like the 351v, the thing you're doing wrong is paying attention to the battery meter. It's notoriously bad. Mine drops down below 40% in about an hour of use, then takes several hours before it hits 30%. If I plug it in during that time it suddenly says it has 80-90% charge.

Unfortunately you can't really trust the indicator and just have to get a feel for it over time.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

roobots posted:

AND it's metal so it's really nice build quality. I just saw that you can do SimpleMenu and EmulationStation on the RG350 which, as far as I understand, is basically the same guts as the RG280M so I might be joining you in that purchase. I already have a 351P, Q90 and GKD Mini (in the mail) so uh... I don't NEED the 280M but...

Wait, EmulationStation on the RG350? I have the RG280v (same guts I believe) and if I could get ES on it that might improve things dramatically. Where did you find that?

The problem though is I've tried retroarch on it and it's practically unplayable for everything, it just doesn't have the oomph. The standalone emulators work well, but have basically no options whatsoever, in particular for where to put saves which is a big problem for syncing. If ES on the 280v is set up properly with the standalone emus though, it'd be such a drastically better experience, and conceivably you could modify the launch scripts to move saves around..

Generally I honestly can't recommend the RG280/350 line because it's such a vastly worse experience than the 351, now that I've used both. But it'd be awesome if that changed.

(I swear I have more fun making these things work for me than I do actually playing games on them)

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 26, 2021

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

Question about the 351 series. How easy is it to setup cross save and "retro achievement" if I want to play on both the 351 handheld and a nvidia shield box?

Does the 351 has any obvious shortcoming that need to be addressed by the next revision, or is this like the "Gameboy Advanced SP with a new screen" of the 3rd party handheld which is perfect by my definition?

Retro Achievements works fine, but only while online. If you play on your 351 while on the go away from wifi, you won't get any achievements while away. That's a limitation of how they work and AFAIK isn't something that can ever be resolved.

Cross saves aren't a thing really, at all. I have a winscp script set up that syncs saves between 351 an a folder on my PC, which I have to manually launch; from there, I have Syncthing sharing that folder out to everything else. 351Elec is working on cloud saves, I believe to gdrive and maybe dropbox, but I haven't messed with it, and I don't know if that'll interact with any other systems automatically without some sort of script.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

I like gray 351v. It reminds me of gameboy, but plays everything. I liked gameboy. I WILL NOT BE SWAYED BY THE CREEPY CULT OF THE WOOD GRAIN!

Whatever 351v you choose, combined with 351Elec or ArkOS, it's pretty great. Or at least mine is. I might've gotten lucky though, manufacturing quality can be all over the place apparently.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

teagone posted:

[edit] Spoke too soon! I can navigate 351ELEC with my DS4 no problem, but once I launch a game, none of the binds work :(

You probably need to set it up in Retroarch proper by backing out of the quick menu, going into Settings->Input, and setting up the DS4 there. Since the integrated controller is always connected, it's probably giving that priority. Hell it might've just autoconfigured your DS4 as player 2, which you can prevent by setting "Maximum Users" to 1.

But, to be honest.. I don't understand the point in doing this? Like the point of these handhelds is to keep them in your pocket/bag and hold them in your hand. Surely you have better screens to play on if you're playing with a wireless controller?

I mean there are a lot of features like that I often see requested that I don't understand, like wireless controllers on a handheld, HDMI out, or hell, stereo speakers (it's not like you're holding the device close enough to your head for your ears to discern the separation).

Wamdoodle posted:

What is the proper romset for the Final Burn Neo and Mame emulators for the RG351v?

For MAME, the 2003 (0.78) and 2010 (0.139) romsets are supported, though I'd probably just get 2003 unless you know there's something in 2010 you want. I'm more confused than anyone about final burn, but as far as I can find, I think it doesn't seem to have multiple release 'breakpoints' like mame does and i think you just want the most current you can find? I might be wrong about that. Presumably the most current romset would have a lot of large stuff the 351 couldn't come close to handling.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

flavor.flv posted:

You really don't see any appeal in being able to plug your handheld into a tv and continue your game on the big screen? Better call Nintendo and let them know they're way off with the switch

It's a low-power emulation system with no exclusive titles. Do you really have nothing else plugged into your TV that can run Retroarch more conveniently?

Maybe it's just me because I know how to, like, sync things. But the point of Retroarch is to abstract the hardware from what you're playing. Using wireless controllers with an HDMI-out device that therefore doesn't need a screen or integrated controller is a completely different set of hardware requirements, and it makes little sense to use the same hardware for it. It's frustrating that so many people want to raise the cost of these cheap handhelds by $50 so they can do that rather than get an android tv stick or something separate that meets their needs better.

Hell, if you've gotten your phone within the last year or two, you can almost certainly just use that for this. The only requirement your phone *might* not meet is supporting hdmi out, otherwise it's almost certainly superior emulation hardware. The main reason to use a Chinese portable instead is the integrated controller & layout, but these things don't matter if you're using a wireless controller on a big screen.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 16, 2021

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Froist posted:

Ok, I’ll bite. How do you sync your saves around?

For most devices, Syncthing makes it trivial. I use android devices for hooking up to the TV, and Syncthing interoperates between them and PCs with no issues.

For the Anbernic device, I use a winscp script with the 'synchronize' command. The 351Elec Beta (which I'd suggest everyone on 351Elec switch to tbh, the only features you might have a problem with are the ones that don't actually exist in stable anyway) has some cloud syncing feature I haven't tried, that might do it more easily.

Thanks to Retroarch no sram modification is necessary for anything it supports. I do have states syncing also and separated into folders by core name, but that's more for backup than sync purposes because they usually don't work across devices.
For DS stuff my batch renames *.sav to *.dsv before launching winscp, then back afterwards, for Drastic. Currently not using any other device-specific standalones.

In case it helps anyone who wants to do things similarly, here's the relevant lines from my .scp script to offer some examples. The filesmask options after the | are excludes, which is why you see them excluding the syncthing data folder. It assumes "Store sram in rom folder" (or whatever it's called) is turned off.

code:
open "rg351_351Elec"
synchronize both -filemask=|.stfolder/ -preservetime -nopermissions D:\Games\Saves\Various /storage/roms/gamedata/retroarch/saves
synchronize both -filemask=|*.ini;.stfolder/ -preservetime -nopermissions D:\Personal\Sync\AppData\PPSSPP_rg351 /storage/roms/gamedata/ppsspp/PSP
synchronize both -filemask=|.stfolder/ -preservetime -nopermissions D:\Games\Saves\ScummVM /storage/roms/gamedata/scummvm/saves
synchronize both -filemask=*.dsv|.stfolder/ -preservetime -nopermissions D:\Games\Saves\DS /storage/roms/gamedata/drastic/aarch64/drastic/backup
synchronize local -filemask=|.stfolder/ -criteria=size -preservetime -nopermissions D:\Games\Screenshots\rg351 /storage/roms/gamedata/retroarch/screenshots
exit
I understand this is kind of a pain, and it's not that I don't get the convenience of just hooking the thing up to the TV. But HDMI out is NOT a trivial task. It's something like another $30-50 of internal hardware alone, but then the software has to be written to handle switching display outputs, every kind of display it might connect to, the UI has to support various resolutions, etc, etc. Adding functional HDMI for the non-Android handhelds would add significantly to the device's cost, and then I'd be willing to bet the custom firmware devs would mostly ignore it and not spend time making it work properly because it'd end up taking *all* their time. Android undoubtedly handles it better, but that introduces a bunch of other problems, like a UI that everyone hates - but hey, at least it works in any resolution! Personally I like not paying an extra $50, and getting a device with more features and support because the display is a known quantity and easier to deal with.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

CFox posted:

What are the benefits of switching to the beta? I know there hasn’t been an official release of 351Elec in a couple months.

The main things I know of are the addition of bezels, mainly for gameboy and gameboy color, and rclone for syncing. I haven't messed with rclone yet but I might do that soon. It looks like it's got quite some setup to be done, and the instructions aren't in the wiki yet, but if you're on the 351Elec Discord, Cebion wrote up basic instructions here.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Slaminger has jumped back into the game with an update for TheRA for 351v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FW4A4Np5HE, get it at techtoytinker.com. I have not tried it yet, probably won't be able to for a few days. Real curious about that 'Moonlight' page he scrolled right past.

(Edit: Actually it looks like TheRA's updates have only brought it closer in line with current ArkOS, I don't know if there's a particular reason to use his over that one at the moment.)

Also, for those using Android devices - what launcher do you use, and how much did it take to get set up? I've tried a few and they all felt very half-baked and tough to set up compared to emulationstation, but I'd really like to set something up on my Shield that's nicer to use than Retroarch's UI.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 4, 2021

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

"The RG351MP is also unlikely to have a built-in WiFi chip, this is due to the metal shell causing issues with connectivity."

Welp that really hurts my interest, I'm already plugging in my 280v to sync and I really don't need any more that require that. Looks sweet otherwise though. If it really is smaller than the 351m & v and pocketable and not too costly I might end up with one anyway.

Wamdoodle posted:

There's ARC Browser which is like emulation station. It has built in scraping and is closer to Launchbox. You have to set it up all the emulators yourself. I haven't used it in a while though I just use Retroarch because fuk it:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.floatingpoint.android.arcturus&hl=en

Thanks for this! I tried it out today and while it looks like it still needs some time on the burner, it does look like the best option out there.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 6, 2021

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

teagone posted:

I get the convenience of in-built wifi, but it doesn't take much effort to plug in a wifi dongle.

It doesn't take much effort to plug in a USB cable to my PC, either, but I'm still sick of doing it for the 50th time just to sync. And it does, in fact, take effort to have to carry around and keep track of a separate dongle.

In any case the chatter in the RG handhelds discord is that Retro Dodo is perpetually on crack, the rg351m did in fact have internal wifi and there's no reason to believe the rg351pm wouldn't.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

The RG351MP is for sale now at Anbernic's official site, shipping from China. Just ordered a black one with the extra $32 for fast shipping (not rich, just stupid).

It did end up not having internal wifi, though not for the reason Dodo stated, so I've got one of these U-shaped adapters coming also. Other than that and the lack of a fn button, it's still pretty much the perfect retro handheld until something in the same size that can handle Gamecube/PS2 exists, and I expect that's going to be more years out than I care to wait.

Custom OS's are going to be a while, because while the devs are getting free units from Anbernic, they aren't getting them any earlier than the rest of us.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Rolo posted:

Is the MP chipset the exact same as the 351V? Could I order one and just pop the cards over? That would be easy and nice, I may try one.

No, it's different. In the Discord a couple people have messed with it; ArkOS doesn't boot at all, apparently 351Elec finishes loading but then can't find the controller.

That said, the ArkOS dev, who for the past several months has only been working on the V image, has said that [paraphrasing] he'll totally be doing active development on the MP if it works as well as the V has.

Edit: Incidentally, I forget if I've said crap in this thread about not needing a second analog stick due to the limited systems it can emulate; but I'm really looking forward to having one after seeing how well the ports of doom, quake, etc work on the v. If these ports get migrated to the MP with the extra stick for aiming, that's actually gonna be really sweet.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 15, 2021

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

sethsez posted:

I got into all this because I wanted a decent portable handheld that I could actually carry in a pocket unlike the Switch,

100% in agreement, IMO that's the whole point of these things. I get maybe wanting something to play on the couch, but I don't need something high-powered for that, because who on earth wants to play high-end titles on a small screen? But anything too big to carry in my pocket ends up staying docked at home, so why not just use my pc. For me the larger devices fill no niche that isn't already filled better. I totally get that not everyone is in that same position though.

What's frustrating to me is the silly dance around the perfect 4:3 RK3266 device without ever hitting it. The 351v is so close, but for the vertical form factor and lack of second stick. The 351MP fixes those things, but then drops wifi and is just a bit too heavy to be comfortable. I've come around on thinking the wifi isn't that big of a deal - I mean if the point is to keep it in your pocket, you're probably using it away from wifi a lot anyway - but the weight of the thing has gotten kinda cumbersome.

My perfect device would be a plastic-shell 351MP with 5ghz wifi and a fn button tucked away somewhere. But the MP is so close I wouldn't bother with such a thing unless it also came with a processor upgrade. But then, a higher single-thread-performance processor is gonna run hotter and need a bigger & heavier battery no matter how you slice it, and I have no idea if the trade-off would end up worth it.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 29, 2021

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

CFox posted:

Is there a common consensus on which shaders are ideal for these low powered (rk3266) devices? Mainly wondering what I should be using for GBA in particular.

To contrast what's been said already, I like to keep integer scaling on for consoles, because even the sharp bilinear filter leaves a blurry greyness to e.g. some of the health bar boxes in mega man, and I find it distracting. The screen real estate you're losing really isn't very much. Then I add the basic 2xSaI shader, which doesn't seem to hurt performance but improves the appearance considerably. I feel like I'm alone there, a lot of people seem to prefer hard pixels over that kind of upscaler, but I think it looks really nice at 2x. On top of that I'll use the scanlines overlay at .5 opacity, just for that CRT feel.

For GBA, pretty much the same but with integer scaling off because of the amount of screen you lose, and using the grid overlay instead.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

I like to make a playlist called "Queue" for stuff I haven't started yet but want to, another called "Playing", and then favorite one or two things in "Playing" to be my current default. Also have another playlist called "Pickup" for stuff like Tetris, Picross, or certain arcade games.

351Elec's updated emulationstation playlist management makes doing this easy, but I don't like that OS because of the way it messes with Retroarch settings, so I fumble through ArkOS's instead.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

This is funny as I just hacked my 3ds xl using 3ds.hacks.guide a couple weeks ago. Some advice:

-If you have a 3DS of any kind NOW is the time to hack it, because Nintendo is planning on taking down its 3DS eshop in 2022. Unlike a switch, a hacked 3DS can be taken online, run updates etc. just fine. So it's a good time to get its firmware & all games up to date while it's still easy.

-As mentioned Retroarch can be spotty (I haven't tried it), and on top of that, Retroarch navigation is generally bad, and large SD cards (above 128g) are known to cause problems. The 3DS is just a bad platform for dumping an entire rom collection onto.

-BUT, you can use NSUI to create Virtual Console injected .CIA games out of your GB, GBC, GBA, NES, SNES, & Genesis games. You can even give them icon and banner art, and if you've already scraped your collection, you probably already have boxart and clearlogos that work perfectly for this purpose. It ends up looking really good and is a joy to browse.

-You can also use Forwarder3-DS to make individual DS game forwarders in the same way. The guide mentions using Twilight, and you still have to set that up because of some files F3DS needs, but it's weird to have all the other games there on the main screen but 2DS games in a separate menu.

-Transferring saves between 3DS VC titles and anything else is a big hassle. If you're playing through something on it, expect to *only* be playing on it. Moving saves is doable but it's a multi-step process that involves rebooting into boot9strap and finding the relevant system file to inject/extract your save to. You're not gonna want to be doing it all the time.

I personally am sticking with my rg351 for single-screen consoles & portables and just using the 3ds xl for DS/3DS games due to the bulk of the superfluous screen and crappy analog control, but it works great as a system with a pretty interface that you're manually picking and choosing games to put on and play through.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

roobots posted:

My only concern now is that I still haven't used an Android based retro device yet that doesn't have input lag. It's minor and doesn't seem to effect everyone

Oh IMO this is an absolutely huge deal. I'm not even a kaizo runner or anything but just playing regular platformers is just about intolerable on every android device I've tried (barring frame delay & run ahead), including the Shield. It's why I'm not even considering the RG552 or any other android-based handheld. Even if it can play more modern games, what's the point if I can't even get through Donkey Kong because I can't time my jumps right?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Humongous Pear posted:

Anyway here’s Russ’s take on the Max 2

https://youtu.be/A6Nm3a8tPL8

Had to stop a little over a minute in because his full-thumb-lift when changing directions in the Mario games weirded me out

Russ, what... what are you doing Russ. Is this really how you play games Russ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

The Steam Deck definitely has a practical market; people who are still interested in PC gaming but haven't upgraded theirs in 10 years and just want a simple all-in-one solution. I have a couple friends in that boat. But I also suspect we're going to see them around in subways and planes and such for about a month, before everyone realizes what a pain it is to carry around and they start leaving it on its dock continuously. And then those who bought it despite having a more powerful PC already will wonder if they made a mistake (which they did).

I suspect if the Deck were made by a random Chinese company instead of Valve this thread would've made fun of its ridiculous control layout and size for half a page and then forgotten about it.