Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks thread I had no idea I wanted one of these but now I really want a 353M. I think I like the size of the 353M over the RP3+, I use my phone for local moonlight streaming with a razer kishi so I'm still not sure if I really need one of these but I like the idea of having a handheld android device that isn't my phone to dump games on and have around the house for myself or my gf to pick up and easily play a variety of stuff. Gonna be over here contemplatively stroking my beard if anyone needs me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Does the 353M come with something like Retroarch preinstalled? Is there something better for that than Retroarch that people recommend using? I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these but I haven't messed with emulation since I set up Retroarch on a Pi like 5 years ago so I dunno what's changed since then. Also for stuff like backing out of games, opening other games, saving/loading savestates, etc. is that just something you tap the screen to bring up the android soft keys for or are there like button combinations to do those things?

Edit:
:wiggle:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks! That's a lot of good info. Put my order in today, can't wait to get this thing :getin:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I ordered my 353M directly from Anbernic instead of the few Amazon listings I saw with Prime to save a couple bucks and I'm severely regretting it now as I could have had this thing tomorrow but instead it's still processing in China :smith:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

explosivo posted:

I ordered my 353M directly from Anbernic instead of the few Amazon listings I saw with Prime to save a couple bucks and I'm severely regretting it now as I could have had this thing tomorrow but instead it's still processing in China :smith:

Gonna invent a time machine so I can go back in time and kick my own rear end for not ordering this from amazon so I'd have it in time for me to be stuck in bed recovering from Covid for the last week :argh:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My 353M has been sitting in a shipping facility in NJ for two days now just hurry up already, The Mail :argh:

Edit: My incessant whining has not been in vain, looks to be arriving tomorrow :toot:

explosivo fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 23, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

353M kicks rear end so far, I certainly didn't expect it to come, ah, preloaded with a fuckton of roms. Pretty blown away with the quality of the dreamcast emulation but had some stuttering doing n64. It seemed way more stable just running from the app on the android side. I'm sure there's some tweaks that can be done. Really looking forward to tinkering with this!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a way to point the Linux side of the 353M to the roms saved on the external storage?

Edit: Nvm, I'm dumb, it already does, I just needed to move the ones I have to the root directory and not have them stored within another folder.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 24, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Detective No. 27 posted:

I saw Wulff Den’s video on the Ambernic whatever last week and ordered one, despite not needing another hand held gaming device. I love my Analogue Pocket but I did want something cheap and lovely enough that I’d actually be ok with throwing in my pocket and taking wherever. It shipped today. Anyone have any idea how long things take to come from Ambernic to the States?

I ordered mine on the 12th, it was delivered, excruciatingly, yesterday. Can probably expect 10-15 days.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What frontend is it exactly that's running on the Linux side of the 353M? Retropie? I'm having trouble figuring out where I should be looking for tutorials on how to do stuff like change Megadrive to Genesis so my feeble american brain can be happy.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Does Moonlight not work on the 353M? I realize it's going to be far from the ideal way to play any PC game but was trying to mess with it to see if I could at least get it to work and so far all I've seen are low bandwidth or slow connection errors. I have a great wifi router, Moonlight works fine from my phone, is it just the wifi chip in this not being super great? I can get it to attempt to connect to my PC which causes my monitor to wig out and change resolutions but the screen on the device stays black and the PC returns to the normal resolution (loving with all of my windows in the process :argh:), eventually disconnecting me due to poor connection. Again, not a huge deal, just thought I'd ask if anyone was able to get this going. I tried from both Linux and Android and didn't have any luck with either.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

kirbysuperstar posted:

You're not accidentally using 2.4GHz wireless or something like that right?

Yeah I tried switching from 5 to 2.4 and back just to see if that made a change but I'm thinking this..

pig labeled 3 posted:

The 353V has poo poo wifi and I've heard the 353M is even worse because of the metal shell.

is probably what's going on.

Thanks!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I saw some people mentioning to get new SD cards because the ones that come from Anbernic are going to die eventually; I had a friend last week explaining to me that buying SD cards from Amazon is a crapshoot right now because there's so many fake ones that make it into legit listings. Is this actually a problem? Is it a bad idea to buy from Amazon or is it generally going to be alright as long as it's a reputable seller?

Edit: Also yeah that new one looks dumb. These struggle with anything over PS1 so while I prefer the xbox style thumbstick layout for normal gaming this will only ever be used to play old retro games anyway so I don't need a thumbstick there. I was never able to get Moonlight working either; if I was then maybe it'd be different but even so I'm not going to have a fantastic time if the game requires heavy trigger usage anyway.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 21, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Grassy Knowles posted:

Amazon is not worth the risk, I’ve gotten some junk SanDisks from “SanDisk.” I usually just do MicroCenter.

Thanks, that's a good idea I hadn't thought of. I live super close the one in Philly so maybe I'll just head over there on lunch this week to see what they've got.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

njsykora posted:

Even if you want a device for game streaming, it's a 4:3 screen so going to be very limited for that too.

For sure. It wasn't the primary reason why I bought the 353 but it was a "oh hey that'd be cool" thing when reading through what it could do. Once I actually got it and got to play with it I realized how terrible it would actually be for that maybe with a few exceptions like playing slay the spire or something.

That reminds me; is it possible to get the Play Store on the Android side of this thing and download/play the Android games I own on there? I never looked much into it but that was kinda something I thought would be possible out of the box but I guess I should've read more into that before assuming it'd be possible.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zzMisc posted:

You can get the Play Store set up on the Android side of the 353 devices if you want to, yes.

Thanks for the info! Might just hold off then tbh. I still have the Kishi for when I want to play something serious on my phone which is almost never.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Scuba Trooper posted:

I have a kishi and like it (great for game pass on my phone), but i've heard bad things about the V2

I have the V2 and it's great. The buttons are all very clicky which I guess I could see being an issue for some people but I like it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I thought that new Advance Wars remaster looks like poo poo so I booted up AW2 on my RG353m last night and man that game still slaps and this is a perfect form factor to play the game in. I'm not using this thing every day anymore but it is great for dicking around with on the couch while watching tv.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

njsykora posted:

Given how crammed in the parts of the Switch are as it is, I'd wager the Switch Lite is already as small as it can be.

Yeah switch lite is already pretty tiny, I'm not sure why you'd want an even smaller screen to play full blown console games on.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dang that RP2S looks nice. I spent more time setting up and loving with my 353M than I did actually playing with it though so I will not be getting one but.. dang. I might jump at one of these new devices in the future if one comes out that's better suited for remote network streaming stuff. I couldn't even get moonlight working on the 353M but it's a 4:3 screen anyway so eh.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

njsykora posted:

Front firing speakers good, physical back button good, but for the love of god why can't we use nice fonts for the face buttons?

They've already confirmed it's a 6" screen, the Ayaneo Air screen is 5.5" so it's not that.

What your controllers don't have A, X, Y, and 13 buttons?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Tempting deal on the deck but I absolutely don't need one right now and also I'm waiting for that sweet sweet second generation that may or may not ever happen.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The next one of these I get will ideally be 16:9 because I also want to do in home streaming from my PC with it. I can deal with pillarboxing on the retro games if it means I can stream from my PC to it and it'll look nice.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Webbeh posted:

god damnit analogue stop tempting me

https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1706322795158741344

also where is my analogue duo :(

Dumb question but do these things play roms or is it just for real gameboy carts?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

njsykora posted:

They were originally supposed to play original carts only but like all Analogue devices there was a "jailbreak" released after release that totally didn't come from Analogue that enabled playing roms. Though you don't have the full feature set when playing roms.

hatty posted:

It can do Roms yeah

Gotcha, thanks. Honestly as sick as these things look I'm probably just better off waiting for another retroid or anbernic to blow my money on. I can see my 353M with a fine layer of dust on it from where I currently sit, lol.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

njsykora posted:

Against the spirit of the thread imo.

I know :smith:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I was the coolest kid in middle school with a palm pilot. I used to turn on/off the tv's in the building with the IR port and a universal remote app once I figured out the code for the tv's.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I always go back and forth about getting a mister but then I see the prices for prebuilt ones and suddenly remember emulation is fine and I can do it on like 10 devices I own already.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thing on the left is a monstrosity but that super DS looks p sweet

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Retroid flip looking pretty good right about now. I absolutely do not need another one of these things :shepicide:

Can I log into my google account on the store on these things or nah? I was hoping I could when I got the 353M but iirc it didn't work. I wouldn't mind upgrading to something with a bit beefier specs and a bigger screen but it'd be particularly sweet if I could also download and play all the android games I already own in addition to the emulation stuff.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is the flip able to sleep/suspend with the closing of the lid or do you have to basically hit the button to put it to sleep before closing it?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

hatty posted:

it goes to sleep but it doest wake up when you open it and you have to hit the button

I can live with that!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

AlternateNu posted:

:confused:

Am I...missing something? Is this thing going to brick on me in a week? :ohdear:

We're all hopelessly addicted to buying these things in slightly different configurations from different companies and doing nothing but endlessly tinkering with them. I still only have the first one I bought but the desire to upgrade has been steadily increasing..

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If I wanted a dedicated frontend for Emulators on my phone that I can launch whenever I want would Retroarch be my best bet? I have a bunch of free space on my phone and a Razer Kishi so I am starting to think maybe I should just put everything on my phone instead.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

coconono posted:

Retroarch is the least fiddling option. Otherwise you can something like Dig launcher and a medley of emulators.

Thanks! I stumbled on Daijisho which seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

stephenthinkpad posted:

Has anyone run Moonlight streaming on the 405m? I thought reddit has a thread topic on everything but I haven't found any owner discussion of this topic.

Not sure about the 405 but it was nonfunctional on my 353M. It basically crashed/froze whenever I tried to run anything. It detected my PC and saw the games but just never got it to run anything.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

How do we feel about shaders? I spent far too much time thumbing through shaders for all my cores in retroarch last night and can't decide if I want to bother or not. I like and will probably keep the green gameboy one because it's fun and pretty drat accurate, the only other one I can think of possibly needing was a good one for GBA but I wasn't too pleased with the options. It was also 1AM which may have factored into this.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CFox posted:

Shaders are a personal preference. I use BRZ with GBA but I’m a heathen. One thing I do recommend is the image adjustment shader and play around with the game and brightness settings there. I up the gamma a bit and lower the brightness setting and it helps a ton with that washed out look a lot of GBA has.

Oh that is a good shout I didn't realize there were separate brightness settings. I found a couple I liked but were either too washed out or dark so i will check that out.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Having a bit of an issue with Daijisho and Dolphin where my GC games aren't launching through Daijisho with a "specified file does not exist" error, but I can launch them from Dolphin without an issue. I did some googling, made sure the default player was set properly (I tried all of them one by one, the one I'm using is the only one that gives this error and doesn't just do nothing) but couldn't turn up anything else. Anyone know what the issue is? I did find one forum post from a person on the same version of Dolphin saying they were having the same issue so maybe it's just a bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zzMisc posted:

I don't know exactly, but that error says it's looking for the rom file in the path "Roms/Nintendo - GameCube/document/primary:Roms/Nintendo - GameCube/Skies of Arcadia Legents (USA).rvz" which doesn't seem correct to me, that looks like it's doubling the path or something. I'd look at Daijisho's settings and the way it's sending the path to Dolphin.

I think you're right, it might have been a Dolphin thing because I found a similar post on reddit talking about how the default play store version is behind so I joined the beta on Play store which downloaded a newer branch and that fixed it so it's working now :toot: