Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I wonder if they already started combing landfills for GB carts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Any retroid 2+ haters name your price, I will buy it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

TVs Ian posted:

Odin Pro is just Android, right?

These reviews make me consider it, but I just really, really hate Android as a gaming-only OS. If I could install Batocera or something on it, I’d probably get one, but for now I think I’ll just wait for the Steam Deck.

there's a win11 version, which idk how I feel about that. If you can turn off all the tattletale stuff, it could be a nice gaming OS.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The guy is yelling in his profile picture why would trust that

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Saoshyant posted:

You guys are no fun with your sensible life choices and healthy partaking of this hobby. No fun at all.

yeah ngl I was hoping someone bought a RP2+ and got bored with it so I could scoop one up easy. Relieving people of impulse buys is a net positive for society.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Is there a good rp2+ setup guide somewhere? The Dreamcast emulator seems to wanna operate on touchscreen controls only.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Was not impressed with the Yaba Sanshiro 2 emulator on my RP2+ I'll probably have to watch those guide videos(ugh) to figure out how to configure it properly. Burning Rangers runs like poo poo.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
tried out the Dolphin Gamecube emulator on my retroid rp2+. Animations and audio got real janky during the Super Robot Wars GC cutscenes. It doesn't feel ready to go just yet. It was easy enough to configure, however.

coconono fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 24, 2022

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
what's a good source for PC Engine CD and Sega CD ISOs that works with retroarch? CD Romance isn't doing the trick

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
oh I forgot to add the BIOS stuff. I am the RP2+ dorp.

I'm playing 32x Night Trap on the toilet, y'all

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I'm gonna have to keep an eye on that Rockchip 3588 dealie. That seems like it'd be a great little streaming/gaming box to plug into my TV.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Was not impressed with the AetherSX2 emulator just yet. If I could crank down the internal resolution a lil more I bet I could get smoother playback during the FMV intros on the two games I tested: MS Saga and Super Robot Wars OG. Audio was hella chunky too. SRW OG was sorta playable. I haven't tried stuff like FFXII or FFX.

the 64bit Retroarch is not nearly as stable as the 32bit version. Got pretty deep into Front Mission 3. Really like the cheat patcher utility.

There's a second Dolphin emulator included in the Retroid setup wizard that's a lot more stable. Gonna hunker down and give SRW GC another go here in a bit.

Its crazy that a bunch of opensource/graysource apps can get this much functionality on what's essentially dressed up cell phone hardware.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

DrWrestling69 posted:

Got my rp2+ yesterday and got it all set up. Running Dreamcast and DS stuff perfectly. Not tried anything on the GameCube or PS2 yet and I need to fiddle with mapping the controls on N64 before I try that any further.

I watched the setup video and have made seperate folders for all my ROMs for different systems. My question is do I need to put the bios stuff for that system in the same folder as the games or is having a seperate bios folder on the SD card going to work the same?

Retroarch will scan the folder you specify in the settings for the BIOS. Then when you launch the game it'll grab the right BIOS for the core.

AetherSX2 wants specific bios files, which is a hassle.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

DrWrestling69 posted:

Thanks I have just opened up duckstation which is saying that no bios image was found. Am I better using retroarch for ps1

yeah Retroarch has the PCSX-rearmed core which so far works real nice for Tony Hawk and Super Robot Wars games.

I might be getting a GPD WIN 3 in a bit. Found a dude in LA that loves to tinker on poo poo and we got to talking about FPGA stuff and he casually dropped he's looking to offload it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

MarcusSA posted:

lol I'm in LA and if you want an Aya Neo let me know. I'm prob gonna get rid of mine once my steam deck comes in the next few weeks.

Edit I also have a GPD XD if you want that for free lol I just can't be hosed to sell it or ship it.

Sadly, I'm only in LA 2-3 times a year but I travel all over the country. More importantly, I will entertain all offers of your useless poo poo!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I haven't really played with DS emulation on my RP2+ because I have a modded 3DS which is absolutely worth an afternoon's tinkering.

So far on the RP2+ I've successfully emulated:
PSX
Dreamcast
Saturn
GBA
SNES
Sega Genesis
Sega CD/32x(those FMV games are absolute trash and I would have cried buying them at full retail but you need to experience them)
Gamecube
PSP

Stuff I'm dinking around with:
PS2 (waiting for AetherSX2 app update)
PC Engine/PC Engine CD (retroarch does not want to play well with roms from CD Romance or Archive.org)
Atari Jaguar(just need to grab some roms)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

GoodApollo posted:

I ended up taking the plunge and ordering a RP2+ upgrade PCB a week or two back. I was looking around on the retroid Reddit and saw some posts complaining it’s difficult to use without the touch screen upgrade. It never bothered me on the base RP2. Is this is a real issue? Between reading that and the long wait times I’m starting to think I might want to just upgrade to something more readily available.

I have a non-touchscreen RP2+ and its a little extra to work get around the touchscreen stuff at first. You just use the virtual mouse interface like the RP2 had. But once you get everything settled in, you hardly need the touchscreen.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
yeah so far nothings really wowed me as much as the RP2+ at that pricepoint.

I wanna check out some of the higher end windows handhelds like GPD/Odin/Steamdeck but availability is iffy and will continue to be.

anyway, PM me if you wanna offload your junk.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Rolo posted:

I ain’t touchin poo poo until they release more funtastic clear shells.

or at least release the engineer specs so we can make our own. I'd love a shell with a little more grip contouring.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I think they accidentally squished the worm that exudes the clear plastic

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I wonder if any of the TV set tops could do PS2 emulation. I'd be down for something like that.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Valve Steam Deck posted:

The Shield can do an okay job since the release of Aether SX2, but even then the most taxing games will be slow and choppy and some games will not work (and no upscaling)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CesxTuvBe0

With further work done on Aether SX2 more games will be within reach of the fastest android chipsets but for now you still want an X86 box for PS2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcAopwcE1j4&t=485s

Notice the difference in how Rachet & Clank and God of War run on PCSX2 compared to the Shield and Aether SX2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esWZr0AsBjE&t=986s

I might check out Nvidia Shield dealie.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
people just give me phones. Its weird as poo poo. None of them are good enough to run a PS2 emulator.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

24% defect rate would get someone fired and their boss shot into the furnace in any other manufacturing industry. Holy hell.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Rolo posted:

Taki with a grain of salt

New thread title

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I kinda wish Retroid would have more shell shape options. The round gameboxes look pretty snazzy.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
lol the only way to apps onto iphone is through the App Store w/o jailbreaking. And the App Store isn't going to put emulators up because Apple's tenuous business relationships would be threatened. onboard JiT compilers. You kids will believe anything you read.

e: for clraity

coconono fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 14, 2022

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

zzMisc posted:

So, has anyone here with an RP2+ or RG353P done much Android gaming with them yet? I'm curious to know what people have run on these things that work well with the gamepad, given that most Android games are redesigned primarily for touchscreen phones.

The only thing I've tried so far that isn't straight emulation is "SaGa SCARLET GRACE : AMBITIONS", and I found the text unreadibly small on the rg353p's 3.5" 640x480. Still finding it super frustrating that they put Android on this tiny thing instead of the 503.

I played that opensource metroid on my rp2+ and it was cool. I didn't try anything more intense than that.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
yeah this is all the info I can pull up on the Retroid 3:
https://retrododo.com/retroid-pocket-3/

Its mostly sourced from Taki.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
They’re also starting from templates and production lines for other products.

But yeah some of the designs were conceived from seemingly random placements.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Decided to wait a spell on the retroid3 and see what the hands on reports sound like. If it’s dramatically improved over the 2+, I’ll definitely jump in the next wave of orders.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
so based on the retroid 3 specs, is it good enough to play PS2 RPGs? The 2+ couldn't handle Super Robot Wars OG fan translated real well. It felt mostly like CPU/GPU chug.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Yeah I think after this love affair with the PS4, I'm gonna be a Xbox Dad for a while.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
So far all the reviews indicate is that RP3 is a great buy if you don’t already have an RP2+. It is not a Great Leap Forward in the RP tech base like a lot of people were hoping(including myself).

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Yeah I hacked my 3ds high as hell, and took a nap midway through. Very easy.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I think GPD had a dual screen model you could run whatever windows based DS emulator on. But at those prices you could pawn shop a 3ds and hack it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

njsykora posted:

Begging handheld makers at this point to just make a single version of each device and stop making multiple loving SKUs for everything.

I think it’s a hustle to keep the factories running for as long as possible.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
it would be cool if I could get an android superphone and load a custom rom that ditches all the cellphone features. I'd googled around a little and didn't get any headway.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

MarcusSA posted:

This is pretty legit,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85_yRd492lQ

XBSX2 PS2 Emulator is awesome on the Xbox Series S | MVG

It is. Xbox series s with retroarch and xbsx2 is absolutely the way for home entertainment system emulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
So is some crazy Frenchman being presented with android chips like appetizers at a fancy ball and that’s how retroid upgrades happen?

Is there even a Frenchman? Does he have a twist mustache?