Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Just got what I think is a shipping notification for an Odin. I've been doing a lot of work on Batocera and got offered one, and there was an email from DHL saying something is arriving from China on Friday. Apparently the guy in charge hasn't gotten anything yet, hopefully somebody who can handle the actual port part gets one soon so I can work on the optimizing side of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

zzMisc posted:

I don't know why those specific things are your options.

That's easy: they are the ones I own and I wasn't planning on buying more.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

zzMisc posted:

If the most important thing to you is the screen for GBA, the 3DS is probably the best option of those. The rest are all smaller screens in the wrong aspect ratio. If GBA is really the main thing, an rg351p might be the better option if you haven't considered it, but I don't know why those specific things are your options.

While you're right about the aspect ratio the 3DS screen is pretty terrible. I can't imagine anyone preferring it in a side-by-side comparison.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The best handheld is the one you have on you

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Saoshyant posted:

So assuming a limited selection of devices, what's the best screen for GBA games between Powkiddy V90, Anbernic RG351V, Retroid Pocket 2+, and a 3DS?

Edit: I assume a similar level of emulation quality between all those devices other than the 3DS's BC using the actual existing hardware.

351p has a perfect aspect ratio and a very nice looking screen

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Saoshyant posted:

That's easy: they are the ones I own and I wasn't planning on buying more.

In that case, one thing you could do is load up that 240p test suite port for GBA (160p test suite) on each device and run some tests side by side. Maybe one will jump out at you. https://github.com/pinobatch/240p-test-mini/releases

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Saoshyant posted:

So assuming a limited selection of devices, what's the best screen for GBA games between Powkiddy V90, Anbernic RG351V, Retroid Pocket 2+, and a 3DS?

Edit: I assume a similar level of emulation quality between all those devices other than the 3DS's BC using the actual existing hardware.

The RG351V has the best screen out of all of those by far, and I think the image quality makes up for the smaller size compared to a 3DS.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

sethsez posted:

The RG351V has the best screen out of all of those by far, and I think the image quality makes up for the smaller size compared to a 3DS.

Yeah, it's a great screen. I have tested it some minutes ago and it looked great. Audio quality kept cracking though and I can't play a game whose music skips or cracks.

This is the stock FW; I haven't tried installing AmberELEC. Does it bring better/more accurate emulators or just better performance so the sound doesn't crack?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

How do y’all organize your consoles? I am assuming that like me you have a few, how do you keep them neat and tidy? Charging while doing it too is a bonus.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I was just trying to play Mega Man Legends on my miyoo mini and I had trouble getting a new area or even my save game to load. Anyone have any tips to try to get it to work better? Since the game itself runs fine I figure it has got to be a setting about loading from an image or something like that.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, it's a great screen. I have tested it some minutes ago and it looked great. Audio quality kept cracking though and I can't play a game whose music skips or cracks.

This is the stock FW; I haven't tried installing AmberELEC. Does it bring better/more accurate emulators or just better performance so the sound doesn't crack?

Both really, for GBA in particular one of the more recent mGBA releases fixed a lot of crackling audio. I think maybe FFVI Advanced still had a few issues but everything else was perfect for me. I prefer the SNES FF3 version instead on the 351v anyway.

beep-beep car is go posted:

How do y’all organize your consoles? I am assuming that like me you have a few, how do you keep them neat and tidy? Charging while doing it too is a bonus.

I have a drawer of shame where I store the ones I bought but don't really use. Other than that I just have a dresser that has a cable for my 351v and one for my 2DS XL since that's all I'm using at the moment.

CFox fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 13, 2022

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Saoshyant posted:

The stock firmware is garbage. AmberElec includes multiple fully-updated emulators, all of which run far better.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

beep-beep car is go posted:

shelf pile.
Except the rg552 which is kept on my desk in case I get stuck on a long hold phone call / insane client call and I have time to clear a few levels of Strider, or play through the whole first half of Super Mario World.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Russ reviews the 353. Surprisingly seems to be alright, specifically calling it out as a great DS device. Though at that price I still feel you're better off finding a new 2DS to actually have the dual screen form factor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgMbGd-D6xE

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I keep my devices on a nightstand. The stand has 2 shelves so I just keep my Surface, Vita, RP2+ and 3DS on the lower shelf. The 3DS is in a dock and the other 2 stack on the Surface.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

njsykora posted:

Russ reviews the 353. Surprisingly seems to be alright, specifically calling it out as a great DS device. Though at that price I still feel you're better off finding a new 2DS to actually have the dual screen form factor.

Oh yeah, if your thing is DS specifically, get a DS, for sure.

But this review baffles me - as someone who owns an rg503, and I've already heard devs saying the rg353p performs slightly better across every dimension due to the smaller resolution & extra (possibly dual channel?) ram, I don't know why he keeps insisting that the RK3566 devices can't handle PSP. I don't care about God of War specifically, but as a test I just ran Monster Hunter Freedom for a bit on my 503, and it ran perfectly showing 30/30 fps the whole time. This idea that this thing can't run PSP is an absolute myth that he keeps spreading and it's just plain not true, it's run everything I've thrown at it fine.

If he's willing to say something like, 90% of N64 games run great and therefore it's a great N64 machine, I don't get why he won't try anything other than that one PSP game to discover the same thing is true of that system.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
For some reason the only PSP games anyone cares about running are the GoWs

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's bizarre, because anybody who actually plays psp games knows that the only one worth playing is katamari

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
actually it's brooktown high

which is one of like two games i know of that is unplayable in ppsspp lol

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

njsykora posted:

Retrododo has a review as well, looks like everyone doesn't hate Anbernic as much as they did with the 503

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAk7-Z07NOo

After watching these reviews I can understand why this S30 looking thing exists, it's finally a real successor to the 351P, with prominent d-pad, dual analogs, stacked shoulder buttons (finally), 4:3 touchscreen, built-in wifi, horizontal layout, and what passes for an entry-level price these days.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

For some reason the only PSP games anyone cares about running are the GoWs

Which is weird because I think Motorstorm Arctic Edge is also a super demanding one to run. I get that people want to give a general overview by just going straight to the hardest game to run on each system (F-Zero X/GX, Chains of Olympus, Shadow of the Colossus etc) but I'd appreciate being shown an easy game on each system so we can at least get an idea of the performance range we can expect.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah the god of war games being the psp benchmark is pretty stupid, also god of war is just over rated

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Ghost of Sparta was pretty darn good but yeah I think a lot of reviewers back in the day were just excited that AAA production values were being applied to beat em ups

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I like Patapon!

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELhJtktWkk4

Taki's now claiming to have been blacklisted by GPD as well (in addition to Anbernic), despite the president of the company personally asking him to review their newest release.

As far as I can tell nobody else has been blacklisted by either company, let alone both.

Something really ain't adding up with all this.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Taki with a grain of salt

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

njsykora posted:

I wonder why the Dreamcast performance is so bad on this one, particularly when it's handling N64 so well, usually with these devices it tends towards being the opposite

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I’d assume it’s an emulation optimisation thing, when we get custom firmware with a current version of Redream I’d be surprised if it’s not much better.

E: Right as I post that I see a YouTube community post from Russ saying DC performance is way better on the early release of Jelos for the 353.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 19, 2022

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

sethsez posted:

There is definitely some weird dick riding for particular companies and people in this community it's almost as bad as bitcoin.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

njsykora posted:

I’d assume it’s an emulation optimisation thing, when we get custom firmware with a current version of Redream I’d be surprised if it’s not much better.

E: Right as I post that I see a YouTube community post from Russ saying DC performance is way better on the early release of Jelos for the 353.

That makes sense, since I just bought a Miyoo Mini not even two months ago it's probably going to be a while before I buy another handheld anyways(besides possibly my Steam Deck preorder if that comes up anytime soon) but depending on how the RG353P shapes up from new firmware it might be a good choice if I look for another one any time soon

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Photex posted:

There is definitely some weird dick riding for particular companies and people in this community it's almost as bad as bitcoin.

I can’t really remember if he talks about it in any YouTube videos or it was slightly more “low audience” on a podcast, but Taki had talked about giving feedback during development on the RP2+ controls, then sounded borderline offended that they didn’t take his advice.

I don’t know what his job/status actually is, but either he’s part of the team or his opinions carry as much weight (to a device development process) as anyone else’s, but there was definitely a sense of entitlement to it all.

He also seemed to put a ton of time into making the most optimal, per-game emulator configs to show off the RP2 in the best light, whereas other devices (552) get reviewed straight out of the box.

There’s definitely something slightly off about it all..

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Never mind that Taki also has access that nobody else has and is like “this handheld is great****”

****with the optimizations I was able to get by having access that nobody else has guess you all get a stock experience lol”

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Eta Prime reviews the RG353P as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCEdhWW8OB8

sethsez posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELhJtktWkk4

Taki's now claiming to have been blacklisted by GPD as well (in addition to Anbernic), despite the president of the company personally asking him to review their newest release.

As far as I can tell nobody else has been blacklisted by either company, let alone both.

The difference is why would anyone give a poo poo about being blacklisted by GPD?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 21, 2022

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Froist posted:

I can’t really remember if he talks about it in any YouTube videos or it was slightly more “low audience” on a podcast, but Taki had talked about giving feedback during development on the RP2+ controls, then sounded borderline offended that they didn’t take his advice.

I don’t know what his job/status actually is, but either he’s part of the team or his opinions carry as much weight (to a device development process) as anyone else’s, but there was definitely a sense of entitlement to it all.

He also seemed to put a ton of time into making the most optimal, per-game emulator configs to show off the RP2 in the best light, whereas other devices (552) get reviewed straight out of the box.

There’s definitely something slightly off about it all..

It comes off to me as he's just a youtuber with a good sized audience for this niche, so companies send him early versions of devices as a promo. It's not uncommon to send out review copies of games, not surprising to do so with hardware too. I'm guessing that he just kind of got a big ego cus of this, and doesn't ACTUALLY have any pull with the company beyond knowing the suggestions he makes aren't just completely going into the void.

I suspect if he ACTUALLY worked with any of these companies, he wouldn't be so upset at them ignoring his suggestions, as he'd probably know WHY they were ignored.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Valve Steam Deck posted:

The difference is why would anyone give a poo poo about being blacklisted by GPD?

This is really the question, even in a crowded market where there's at least a case you can make for most devices there's literally no point in their current one when it's literally a phone in a shell right down to the hole punch.

Anyway here's Russ showing off Jelos for the 353, it's not perfect at Dreamcast and some of the harder games are still unplayable but it looks a hell of a lot better than stock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJR0Evx3KS0

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Taki's video is pretty wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poOk-zH2O6k

Its either a 90hz screen or some mythical 124hz screen lol

The build quality over all seems pretty fantastic as well

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I agree with him that this is the device I wanted for decades. Hell, six months ago I would have sold a kidney to get one

Unfortunately since then the miyoo mini and the rp2+ have come out

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The price does seem a bit high though for what it is. Should be about $100 not $140.

Besides that its overall not bad.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rolo posted:

Taki with a grain of salt

New thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

If I hadn't just bought a RP2+ I'd probably get this, but now I have no real need for it.