Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

So I pre-ordered the Arc as it's basically a Saturn pad and that's my dream! I've never used one of these before (I got the Linux only version), and I got one with an sd card. Is it as simple as dropping roms into the card that I think should already be set up? I really care about Saturn emulation (I'm sure Mega Drive is no problem), is there anything I need to know? Hints and tips? I'm super excited to play Shining the Holy Ark on this thing handheld!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That sounds perfect, thanks!

It's a shame it's not 100% Saturn perfection, but if I stick to less demanding games I'm hoping I'll be fine...

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

My Anbernic Arc is on its way! Very excited about this one!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've never had an Anbernic before. I'm going off the Retro Corps video. All I care about is Mega Drive (RetroArch?) and especially Saturn (stand-alone app?) emulation. Do I have to dick about with any settings for the Saturn or just run it as-is? Do I have to worry about PAL/NTSC roms? I've got the Linux-only version coming.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Just got my Arc S today and I can play Shining the Holy Ark on a Saturn controller with a screen. It's a dream come true!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It probably surprises no one here but the fact that I can plug my Arc aka a Sega Saturn controller with a screen in it into a TV then hook up controllers for 4 player Simpsons or Turtles is incredible and I love it

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i just wish it was more powerful, it would have been an automatic purchase for me if it could actually play Saturn and Dreamcast games.

Dreamcast is pointless without an analog stick, and it can play a lot of Saturn games just fine! People are also working on custom OSs to improve performance

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

otter posted:

Now you have me thinking of a Dreamcast controller with a 5” square screen.

Sign me the F up

... if it has a smaller VMU screen below

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

In the manual there's a setting to change brightness, like hold F and something?

Custom firmware is coming which will probably fix that too

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

shyduck posted:

What's the 3rd party dev support like for Anbernic these days? I've heard mixed things

I think it has a lot of tinkerers and unofficial custom firmware. These people are dedicated! Arc stuff is coming already with a bunch of improvements, they don't hang about.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Macs: not even once

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I mean when you start approaching the 300 price line you absolutely might as well Deck it up instead

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Just get a Saturn and mod it. Probably the same price, plus guaranteed to work flawlessly and look cool AF

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

frogbs posted:

Does anyone else who has an Anbernic RG ARC-D or RG ARC-S been able to get images to work on the stock OS? No matter what I name them in the images folder it doesn't seem to show the games art in the game browser. I thought it had to be the name of the rom with -image appended, but that didn't do it.

I'm so sick of trying to janitor this thing, that i'm just considering getting a Miyoo Mini Plus with Onion and Tiny Best Set. Is that easier to setup by comparison?

Granted i'll miss the six face buttons and d-pad, but i'm tired of just trying to set this thing up :-(

Skraper works, and custom firmware which has scraping built in has almost reached stable release. Join the Anbernic discord!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The Arc does have 3rd party CFW support

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

shyduck posted:

Someone on Amazon is selling the black version of the Anbernic RG ARC-D (the one that looks like a Sega controller) for $70 USD.

The seller also has the other color and model variants listed for $120-$140. This is the higher spec'd of the two model variants. It seems odd and I'm not sure if it's entirely legit, but this is the cheapest I've seen it being sold anywhere by far and Amazon's return policy is relatively hassle free so I'm rolling the dice.

I should have it tonight so I'll update regarding legitimacy.

link to listing

I have the S with CFW and I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

shyduck posted:

Which CFW are you using?

Its retroarch, I got it from Tinker Toys in the Retrohandhelds DC. Do you want a link?

Also, is there a Legion Go/PC handheld thread anywhere here?