Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Wood grain, my dude.
LOL, when I decided to get a 351v, I was torn between the different colors, but realized that the wood grain one would be unique compared to any of the other handhelds I'd get.
It does look very convincing in person since they used a high resolution texture to cover it (however they were able to do it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

stephenthinkpad posted:

WTF, the hand crank doesn't generate power? It's just a joystick?

And it's black and white? The whole thing is way too hipster. Does it even play OG Gameboy game so it's a retro handheld.
Yeah, that looks really, really niche and overpriced. Like OUYA 2.0.
I feel like a lot of these will end up in drawers after the first week. If they wanted to have an indie handheld, just aim for PICO-8 compatibility, that already has like 1,000+ games.
On that note, the 351v is a great PICO-8 handheld.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Just got the Powkiddy A66 (aka Trimui Model S) I ordered from Aliexpress and it’s freaking cool after upgrading the firmware and installing MinUI. I have a 351v as well, but wanted something cheaper and pocketable to take out on the go and this fits the bill.

Highly recommended.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LODGE NORTH posted:

Personally, I find it really hard to trust a lot of reviews that aren’t just “here’s me using the device and how it functions” like RGC and Taki do. Retro Dodo feels like he doesn’t even actually review the device, just opens it and uses it as is and reviews it based off that. Something about it feels artificial but that just may be me.

One interesting thing I noticed about COVID was a lot of otherwise Switch reviewers and channels started dabbling into retro game stuff, but they don’t know a lot about them, so their reviews are just… insufficient or wrong.

I dunno, maybe it’s just me, but a lot of times with a lot of these devices, I have an end goal or what I want to do on it and if the specs allow me to do that or the custom firmware built for it does, then all is good from there.
If reviews don't go into custom firmware or mention stuff like screen tearing/proper aspect ratios/menu options then they're basically trash and only good for seeing how the device physically looks.
Retro Game Corps is definitely the cream of the crop of emulation device reviews/guides.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This is a general emulation question, but anyone know why MAME always needs particular romsets unlike just random rom files like any other emulator?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

After watching a couple YouTube videos on the topic, I’m thinking about possibly softmodding my (only) Vita (original model). I’m kinda worried about 2 things, though: possibly bricking it, and getting my PSN account banned. Anyone have any experience with this?

I know some people say to create another PSN account, but then my purchases and trophies aren’t carried over…

Also, Retro Games Corps recommends starting from a factory restored model with no saves, but I’d want to preserve some of my save files, too.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Manky posted:

Ah, I just got my own 4pack of protectors haha. I'm pretty sure I hosed up my first one though, naturally.

As to your question, I have a powkiddy-branded A66 model rather than original Model S, so I dunno if maybe there's a difference. Does yours not eject the card when pushed in? The microSD on the A66 at least is a push lock / push eject mechanism (no idea what the proper terminology is) so personally to remove it I always use the edge of my thumb's nail to push the card in until it clicks, and after releasing it pops out enough for me to grab it. Or is that what you're using the tweezers for?
Yeah, my Powkiddy A66 has the same spring-loaded insert/eject slot, you just need to have a little bit of fingernail to pop it in/out. It's possible something within the slot broke off I guess, in which case you might need to rely on the tweezers.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The nD so I can play Bob's Game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpEMPrSsxkE

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

flavor.flv posted:

I have a pocketsprite and that thing isn't meant to be played either

Probably the smallest game console you can get that's actually intended to be used to play video games as its primary function and not just to look cool is the game boy micro

And it's right on the line. If they'd released, like, three more faceplates it would have tipped over
Yeah, I'd have to say my Powkiddy A66 (previously named Trimui S) is the same size as a Game Boy Micro and it is the perfect tiny cheap emulation device (after updating the firmware and adding MinUI). Here's a shot I found for size comparison:
https://twitter.com/KeepRetro/status/1410460084803674114?s=20

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Okay, it's really dumb and not technically an emulation device, but I might back the Thumby.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kenburns/thumby-the-tiny-playable-keychain

It's only $24 after shipping, so it's in impulse-buy territory. Any more than that and I would have said no way.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

CFox posted:

Is there a common consensus on which shaders are ideal for these low powered (rk3266) devices? Mainly wondering what I should be using for GBA in particular.
For my RG351v (which I think is that chipset?) I always use sharp-bilinear-2x-prescale which allows me to use the most amount of screen (with proper aspect ratio) without seeing mis-scaled pixels. Retro Game Corps usually uses Megaman X as a baseline to show off incorrect scaling by looking at X's health bar. Each line should be the same amount of pixels.

Here's a gif I found with a different comparison:

I think with that shader the blurriness is negligible and it looks pretty nice.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hmm. Compared to the Trimui/A66, it’s more than twice the price, thicker, worse specs, less buttons, no microsd slot.

I don’t know who this is for.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I’d say a good use of them is finally getting through a series you’ve wanted to finally experience. Like, I never played through the Metroid series and I just beat Zero Mission on my 351v and am now moving onto Samus Returns on the 3ds, then back to the 351v for Super/Fusion and finally Switch for Dread.

Also wanted to go through the Quintet trilogy on SNES (Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

el3m posted:

I have a 351v and can confirm: GBA also works great with the scaling options and the 4:3 480p screen is better for almost every other console/arcade
Yeah, played through Metroid Zero Mission on a 351v and with that sharp-bilinear-2x-prescale shader it looked clean as hell.
The only issue was some hand cramping over long periods of time from the vertical layout of the device.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Speaking of firmware, it's so weird that there hasn't been a stable 351Elec release since June 4th. I think they constantly have beta updates, but I'd rather not install those in my 351v just yet if they're experimental/buggy.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The United States posted:

Sorry about the earlier one, this one is the REAL build-your-own Trimui

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zu3pjvdSHI
Wow, that looked like a nightmare to build. Then again, I don’t have any experience with soldering or troubleshooting Linux.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The United States posted:

lol

https://anbernic.com/products/anbernic-rg552-handheld-game-console-rk3399-linux-android-dual-system-5-36-inch-oca-screen

looks for the new generation we got:

-Retroid Pocket 2+ for $100~ (plus shipping)

-Powkiddy x18s for $175~ (plus shipping)

-Anbernic RG552 for $240~ (plus shipping)

-Ayn Odin Lite/Base/Super/Pro for $200/240/275/290~ (plus shipping)

-Miyoo P60 for ???

-GPD XP lol no
Geez, the dream of sub-$100 handhelds is slipping away (as long as you want stuff faster than an RG351).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Disappointing Pie posted:

Russ has his preliminary thoughts out on the RG552

https://youtu.be/daHLELTAn9E
A 50 minute video on this, Russ is a BEAST.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'm hoping that anything the Odin Pro is showing off, the Steam Deck can do, cuz I have that coming at some point...

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Weird Sandwich posted:

The main problem with the steam deck is that it's controller layout looks really uncomfortable. I'm leaning towards an Odin for that reason alone.
While it looks strange, I feel like all the hands-on reports would have mentioned that months ago if it were the case.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

EDIT: Warning, this might have a couple kinks. I tested some SNES games and the compatibility is worse, like Soulblazer doesn't have sound and Secret of Mana's all messed up. I think they borked the default SNES core.

Miyoo Mini has a new update for the Onion OS:
https://github.com/jimgraygit/Onion/releases

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCOt5DogbXQ

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 20, 2022

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I can attest that the 351v is so good for Pico8 that it feels like it could have been the official system.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Science_enthusiast posted:

Hey guys, bout to pull the trigger on a miyoo mini.

Mostly looking for something very portable to play psx games on. Form factor seems fine to me- aside from this- is it a good choice?

From what i have read it seems that already people have been ironing out emulation hiccups with new cfw

I also considered retroid pockets but im in Europe and they are 150 eur here...
I love it. It's a little cramped, but the games work perfectly and the screen looks amazing.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This is a bit outside of the thread's topic, but after setting up emulation on the Steam Deck, I'd say it has a great screen for GBA games. The ratio is very close to filling the whole screen and it supports an LCD3x shader that adds a really crisp looking fake pixel grid so it feels like you're blowing up an GBA SP screen.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Mierenneuker posted:

I think PS2 games were made with standard-definition televisions in mind. It's probably the console generation afterwards where things got trickier. See: the infamous case of Dead Rising on Xbox 360 having a small, unreadable font on non-HD TVs.
Hell, tons of games nowadays are oblivious to how tiny their text looks when seated across the room. Too many programmers sitting 2 feet from their computer monitors get used to that level of readability.
Even in games that offer a "large text" option, sometimes it only applies to subtitles and not any other aspect of the UI. Final Fantasy XVI had the smallest interface text I've ever seen in a game for your ability hotkeys on the side of the screen.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BTW just picked up an RG Nano and I'm loving it. I have a handful of these various-sized devices including a Thumby, TrimUI model S, and original Miyoo Mini and I'm glad to report that it's not too tiny to play on (like the Thumby where you have to use your nails to hit the buttons). The TrimUI is closest in idea to "small enough to keep in your pocket" but the clicky buttons are too loud in case you want to do some covert game playing at work, for instance. The RG Nano buttons are silent and very responsive like any larger Anbernic device. I don't even have to find a way to swap the B/A keys in gameboy or NES games to Y/B like I usually do because my thumb can cover both B and A and just pivot.

Yeah, there are some scaling issues you have to adjust to depending on the system, but I'm okay with it. Since it has a 1:1 ratio, some systems work better than others. I actually think SNES works amazingly since I prefer the true 8:7 scaling anyway, so using the "cropped" option works because developers accounted for some overscan (the UI is still within the crop). For some reason, PC Engine's "scaled" option is broken still so you have to play stretched. Not the end of the world.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 22, 2023

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I wonder how shared shaders are going to work with that. Like, is Valve going to have a separate archive of shaders for each officially supported SteamOS device? Right now it was a little easier since they only really had one device to target.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

mariooncrack posted:

I have a RG351V. I'm considering picking up a handheld that's horizontal. I've mostly been playing games up to PS1 and GBA. I've mostly been playing romhacks. I'm not necessarily interested in Saturn or N64. PSP and DC would be nice but aren't required. What are my options? A 353P looks like a contender.
I mean, for a lot less you could get the new one they just put out, the RG35XX H:
https://anbernic.com/products/rg35xx-h

That covers up to mid-DC, N64, and a handful of PSP.
The only real downside right now is lack of custom firmware, but the stock OS is acceptable. Black Seraph might be able to swing Garlic OS CFW to this in the coming months, we're just waiting.

Really depends if you want sub-$100 or $100+.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I just leave my Steam Deck docked to my TV and emulate through EmuDeck/Emulation Station with a PS5 controller. Once I got that, I realized I never needed to buy a Raspberry Pi type device again.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Why is it so glossy on the front? That's gonna get smudged up constantly.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Rolo posted:

Ah shoot my hacked 2DS XL somehow got on WiFi and now it asks me to update every time I turn it on or close a game.

Is there a way to turn this off or SAFELY update it without killing my install?

Edit: apparently if you have a newer version of Luma you can just go nuts and update. Doesn’t seem to have broken anything.
Yeah, I had been worried about that too a few months ago but made sure to double-check I had the recent custom firmware and I was fine after updating.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

What is nice about the 35XX Plus/H/2024 is that even if you own all of them, you can just pop the microSD card out of one and stick it in the other and it works perfectly.
Good for keeping all your save games together then without some kind of sync system.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Explosionface posted:

If the Anbernic one has the same guts as the other 35XX devices, this bodes well for them. Russ just had a video the other day talking about how great the firmware was for them the other day.
Then there's also this good news that makes it seem like they've cracked some of the chipset info needed to make the +/H/2024 firmwares work even better:
https://ko-fi.com/post/The-future-of-RG35XX-firmwares-A0A0W78YO

Still crazy how Black Seraph (the guy behind Garlic OS) basically disappeared and let his patreon keep paying him $3,600 a month to do... what exactly?
Heck, even an "I'm still here trying to get Garlic working on the Plus" every couple of weeks woulda been nice, but he hasn't posted about that since like, Christmas.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tiny Timbs posted:

The downside of Patreon is that subscribers are fickle; the upside is that you never actually owe anyone anything.
I wonder if he's partaking in any Goldbelly $100 cookie orders like Lowtax when he was getting $15,000 a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I already have enough handhelds, but this has been the holy grail for a while, so just imagine me doing the futurama Fry "shut up and take my money" meme.
I'm also hoping the silver one doesn't scratch or peel paint easily.