Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I will say the 351v doesn’t feel as amazing as I’d hoped in my hands. It’s a little cramped and I almost wished I’d gone with the 351m. But it wasn’t that expensive and I’m still enjoying it a lot but I don’t think the vertical form factor is for me.

And I still will buy a 5” 4:3 horizontal device day freaking one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Shortbus
Jul 22, 2002

I picked up a 351P a few months back because I was looking for something that felt more like the OG GBA in the hand and honestly the buttons that Anbernic uses are better than Nintendo handhelds imo. The face buttons feel so good.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Boxman posted:

Ya'll make a compelling case for the v. I don't think I realized there were so few PSX games that used the right stick...and I'd probably spend more of my time in 8/16 bit world anyway. I'll probably impulse purchase one later today. If i want it for a trip in early September, I'm better off just going on amazon and picking a seller more or less at random, right (at least one that's fulfilled by Amazon)? Any AliExpress seller will feature the "it'll get there when it gets there" special?

There aren't many games that NEED both sticks but there's a good amount that play better with two sticks vs one or none

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I assume there is more software on the AliExpress ones. No?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

No. The one I got from Amazon came in a day or two and was loaded with roms. That said, you should probably only steal the BIOS folder from that card, and ditch that card and everything on it. Then get a quality microSD and throw 351Elec on it. Pop that into your machine and let it set up. Then move your ROMS and the bios folder over and you're all set.

While you wait for the machine to arrive you can get a good curated rom collection going.

Follow the directions here if you want to take that approach:
https://retrogamecorps.com/2021/03/16/rg351p-rg351m-starter-guide-2021-edition/

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

I assume there is more software on the AliExpress ones. No?

You should probably do a clean install on anything you buy from AE.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Thanks for the advice :cheers:

Edit: I see some Etsy vendors selling brand name SD cards with the optimized 351Elec pre-installed. If I bought one I could just plug and play, right?

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 22, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I wasn’t expecting to use this 351P for anything but portable systems but drat PS1 games look nice on this. Also playing Dead or Alive on the toilet is an excellent thing to have available.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

Thanks for the advice :cheers:

Edit: I see some Etsy vendors selling brand name SD cards with the optimized 351Elec pre-installed. If I bought one I could just plug and play, right?

In theory you could, but you kinda shouldn't. Installing 351Elec is probably easier than any other thing you can do on a computer. At that length, you can buy any name brand SD card for cheaper on Amazon, get Amazon's return/refund policy/warranty, then install it yourself and be fine.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I installed 351Elec to just easily wipe it of all the crap licensed games preloaded on the thing and it took about 5 minutes. It would’ve been less but I forgot Windows hates my SD card reader and had to move everything to the Max instead, which then meant I needed the thing 351Elec has to remove the indexing files MacOS adds when transferring files.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P25GuqYjluM

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Welp, pulled the trigger on a 351v. cool retro gaming and mono speaker, here I come. Thanks for the advice in the thread. I'm sure i'll be back. :)

EDIT: In wood grain, obviously.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 23, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s a mono speaker, yes, but it sounds really good.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
This feels like a dumb question, but I just got my 351P, and I'm staring at these dual analog sticks and wondering what games are actually going to use these? It doesn't play PS2, and I'm sort of feeling like I only got it for aesthetics and symmetry over a 351V.
I got this primarily for GBA games and I like the form factor and feel of it a lot, I wouldn't rather have a V, but I'm feeling sort of confused and curious. I think it'll be nice for Ape Escape and Spyro and for the stylus on DS games (right?), which is nice enough, but I'm wondering if there's some major other use that I'm overlooking that got them to design it this way. Or if it's really just the handful of dual shock PSX games?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

zachol posted:

This feels like a dumb question, but I just got my 351P, and I'm staring at these dual analog sticks and wondering what games are actually going to use these? It doesn't play PS2, and I'm sort of feeling like I only got it for aesthetics and symmetry over a 351V.
I got this primarily for GBA games and I like the form factor and feel of it a lot, I wouldn't rather have a V, but I'm feeling sort of confused and curious. I think it'll be nice for Ape Escape and Spyro and for the stylus on DS games (right?), which is nice enough, but I'm wondering if there's some major other use that I'm overlooking that got them to design it this way. Or if it's really just the handful of dual shock PSX games?

Weedle posted:

wolfenstein 3d, doom, heretic/hexen, duke 3d and quake all have native source ports that support dual sticks

Weedle posted:

note also that retroarch lets you bind controls to the analog sticks even if the game you're running doesn't support them natively, so you can create your own dual stick control schemes and for some games it actually works great. king's field and armored core are way more playable this way

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Yeah I'm probably going to get lost in the weeds with rebinding stuff. Even just having L3/R3 as extra buttons is neat.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So the RGB 10 Max can only play half of the PSP games well? Why even have a 16x9 screen? I am surprised the Retro guy gave the no 1 spot to it over the 351 trio.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Seems like he gave the reasons in the video? Sonic ports, PC ports, Mario 64 port, and widescreen emulator hacks. Also a slight benefit for the 3:2 GBA screen (perfect 3x vertical scale) and 480p is a good vertical scale for most retro games even if they don't have widescreen hacks.

I agree in that it's really not worth paying more for overall, and widescreen will only make sense with newer generations that have the power to emulate newer systems.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 23, 2021

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Honestly I'm a little surprised that none of these companies managed to track down a 480p 3:2 screen, since the black bars in a 3:2 screen wouldn't be that bad and 16:9 consoles aren't quite there yet.

I mean, it's a really niche size but I'm surprised there's still 640x480 and especially 480x320 ips screens even in production in the first place.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
My 351m has 351 elec on it and man this thing does not hold a charge at all in sleep mode, it's losing like 50 percent battery a day or something and when I turned it on today after it was at 40 percent yesterday it crashed to a bunch of command line errors and then said LOW BATTERY and kept vibrating until I turned it off

Am I doing something wrong here? Can I not just suspend it by tapping the power button? Do I have to full power it off every time? That's kind of lame

I hope I didn't just get a bad one because I bought it direct from china and it took a month to get here

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Stefan Prodan posted:

My 351m has 351 elec on it and man this thing does not hold a charge at all in sleep mode, it's losing like 50 percent battery a day or something and when I turned it on today after it was at 40 percent yesterday it crashed to a bunch of command line errors and then said LOW BATTERY and kept vibrating until I turned it off

Am I doing something wrong here? Can I not just suspend it by tapping the power button? Do I have to full power it off every time? That's kind of lame

I hope I didn't just get a bad one because I bought it direct from china and it took a month to get here

I'm not sure but I maybe see if leaving Wifi off helps.

zachol posted:

I got this primarily for GBA games

The screen on the 351P/M is great for GBA games. Probably better than the V, in any case, because it matches the aspect ratio exactly. So despite the right analog stick not being so useful, you maybe still made the right call.

Yummy Dead Cow
Nov 15, 2010

A yummy in every bite!

Stefan Prodan posted:

351v with elec here but I never let my device go into sleep mode since it likes to trigger command line errors whenever I try to boot it up again even after a short while. I just get a save state in on whatever game I'm playing and shut down the system altogether. You also get to save on battery that way.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Stefan Prodan posted:

Assuming the 351m is like the 351v, the thing you're doing wrong is paying attention to the battery meter. It's notoriously bad. Mine drops down below 40% in about an hour of use, then takes several hours before it hits 30%. If I plug it in during that time it suddenly says it has 80-90% charge.

Unfortunately you can't really trust the indicator and just have to get a feel for it over time.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Ok, can I fully power it off by holding power button or is that bad? I feel like I read somewhere not to do that but I don't remember why

What's the alternative, exit all the way out to the main menu and hit shutdown system from there?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I usually just use whatever shortcut takes me to the home screen and hit select > shutdown.

I’ve also used the power button loads of times :shrug:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah you don't want to just hit the power button on anything linux based, it can corrupt your sd card

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Here’s a hands-on of the Play Date:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ykEZ_iExGY

It looks fun.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 24, 2021

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Retroarch Plus for Android was running Nintendo DS games like Pokemon Platinum and Scribblenauts at 45fps, using MelonDS, and 35fps with DeSmuME, as soon as I left the protagonist's mom's house, on my Snapdragon 632 phone. The DeSmuME core had a frameskip option, but it didn't appear to do anything. I found DraSticDS app :filez: and it ran smoothly. I'm glad I switched before I had any saves that weren't at the beginning of the game.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 24, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
In the few minutes since I posted that PlayDate video I decided I’m gonna try to cop a preorder. Teenage Engineering is the poo poo and I want to support truly unique hardware devs.

I also wanna crank that crank.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Rolo posted:

Here’s a hands-on of the Play Date:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ykEZ_iExGY

It looks fun.

WTF, the hand crank doesn't generate power? It's just a joystick?

And it's black and white? The whole thing is way too hipster. Does it even play OG Gameboy game so it's a retro handheld.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I think the upcoming Steam Deck is gonna be perfect for portable emulation. It's a Switch sized PC you can install either Windows to or quite possibly RetroArch to and use all sorts of 3rd party emulators.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

stephenthinkpad posted:

And it's black and white? The whole thing is way too hipster. Does it even play OG Gameboy game so it's a retro handheld.

It’s cool :mad:

I sometimes wonder where to draw the line on what is and isn’t considered thread material but the Steam Buddy, Windows handhelds, hacked PSP/DS systems and technically-new but retro styled things are fun to talk about so hopefully you’re all cool with the thread being a bit broad. I’d like to add a bit of each to the OP, it’s due for an update anyways cause I wanna add newer hardware emulation models like the Analogue Pocket.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

stephenthinkpad posted:

Yeah, that looks really, really niche and overpriced. Like OUYA 2.0.
I feel like a lot of these will end up in drawers after the first week. If they wanted to have an indie handheld, just aim for PICO-8 compatibility, that already has like 1,000+ games.
On that note, the 351v is a great PICO-8 handheld.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
The point of the Playdate is really more of a cool indie developer art piece. It’s an experience. Looking at it with the normal expectations of a handheld is going to lead to disappointment. If I had extra cash lying around I’d snag one as a way to support the artists and Teenage Engineering. It’s good to encourage more experimental stuff like this, but this is 100% not attempting to be a mass appeal portable.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

roobots posted:

The point of the Playdate is really more of a cool indie developer art piece. It’s an experience. Looking at it with the normal expectations of a handheld is going to lead to disappointment. If I had extra cash lying around I’d snag one as a way to support the artists and Teenage Engineering. It’s good to encourage more experimental stuff like this, but this is 100% not attempting to be a mass appeal portable.

This, exactly. This is something I think the folks at Panic are making/aiming at people who are just like them. They don't care if it has mass market appeal.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

one point in favor of the rp2 over the 351v? i can use sleep mode just fine and the battery readout is correct

not something i’d really considered as a selling point before but hey that’s linux

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

roobots posted:

Bingo. I’m buying one to keep on my shelf of cool gadgets and to give money to companies I like that are trying cool things. People that want to side load gameboy games to it are missing the point entirely. Projects like this should be supported instead of compared to traditional stuff.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhJ80t0YZnU

Yep it's a RG350M in a plastic gba micro-esque case

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

JazzFlight posted:

If they wanted to have an indie handheld, just aim for PICO-8 compatibility, that already has like 1,000+ games.
On that note, the 351v is a great PICO-8 handheld.

Go on...

Rolo posted:

Bingo. I’m buying one to keep on my shelf of cool gadgets and to give money to companies I like that are trying cool things. People that want to side load gameboy games to it are missing the point entirely. Projects like this should be supported instead of compared to traditional stuff.

Plus with every unit being a development kit there is almost guaranteed to be a broad range of uses like emulation anyway, so anybody who appreciates it for what it actually is gets bonus content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Swilo posted:

Go on...

Plus with every unit being a development kit there is almost guaranteed to be a broad range of uses like emulation anyway, so anybody who appreciates it for what it actually is gets bonus content.

This guy says he’s going to release a GB emulator once the Playdate comes out: https://mobile.twitter.com/dmierau/status/1280953878091952128

He’s also working on a Mario Paint clone: https://twitter.com/dmierau/status/1415721694438694914?s=21