Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
I bought a block of tofu and tried it Japanese style with fresh green onions, radish and soy sauce. It's okay. The tofu is pretty much tasteless.

How do I enjoy tofu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Is it the soft or firm type

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Is it the soft or firm type

I would guess soft. The packet said "pressed tofu", but it's very creamy and light in texture.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
How have you enjoyed tofu before? I mean, what tofu dishes have you eaten and liked?

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

gleebster posted:

How have you enjoyed tofu before? I mean, what tofu dishes have you eaten and liked?

I suppose the tofu-and-veggie sauce in Chinese restaurants is allright, but not my favorite. I don't mind tofu in miso soup.
This is my first time getting the "raw" tofu experience.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Fry it

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/02/vegan-experience-crispy-tofu-worth-eating-recipe.html

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
I finished the tofu. I really liked the grated radish with soy sauce. It had a nice pungency, in the best sense of the word.

Maybe I should try some fried tofu dishes?

EDIT: beaten

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

End of Shoelace posted:

I finished the tofu. I really liked the grated radish with soy sauce. It had a nice pungency, in the best sense of the word.

Maybe I should try some fried tofu dishes?

EDIT: beaten

Look up agedashi tofu, it's good poo poo

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Get the firmest tofu you can find, cut into large 'steaks', marinate in whatever you like (I've done this with everything from Korean BBQ marinade to Sweet Baby Ray's to some vinegarette salad dressing I was trying to use up) and grill it.

It's not meat, but it's fine. That's pretty much tofu.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I think you need the really soft, silken stuff for soup, so it sort of melts into the broth.

My successful attempts with tofu usually involve going the other way. First pressing it again to remove moisture, cutting it into cubes, then frying it in a little oil. After that, you can add whatever other veg/sauce you want. But pressing it to get out moisture will help it fry up crispy on the outside. That's all the help I can give you.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
There's plenty of ways to prepare it that are really good. I make fried tofu cubes to put in stir fries and things like that. Press the tofu (extra firm) to drain it, cut into little cubes, shake them up in a baggie with some flour, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and pan fry until browned. Good poo poo.

I also tried grilling slabs of tofu recently, I expected them to be bad but they were actually really delicious.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Cut it into slices and write names of your enemies on the slices

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
"I always thought it was very bland... and the reason why I thought that, I think is, because it is."

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Yeah, I usually freeze it first, let it thaw and then press it before grilling it. Makes it easy to get all that moisture out. I think you can also just bake it this way, it'll still come out nice and crispy. Make a sesame sauce to go with it

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I like to bake (or pre fry) up cubes and then sauce 'em up and fry them in a stir fry in place of or addition to meat, for a really simple way to enjoy it. Just cook a stir fry the way you would any other and use the tofu instead.

There's a shitton of dope ways to enjoy tofu in general tho.

I like stuffing fried tofu pouches with seasoned tofu for a double tofu bomb as a quick and delicious snack that won't immediately go to my love handles

gey muckle mowser posted:

I also tried grilling slabs of tofu recently, I expected them to be bad but they were actually really delicious.

I grilled up some tofu slabs the other day after marinating them in just some gochujang, soy sauce and a lil sesame oil and lemme tell you that was a lovely little side dish

Also yeah always remember to drain your tofu. It's not impossible to cook with if you haven't, but it will take loving forever to cook the water off so just do it ahead of time.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
It feels a little bit strange to make tofu unhealthier to eat, but I will definitely try out some fried tofu. Unfortunately, I think mine is too soft to press.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

gey muckle mowser posted:

There's plenty of ways to prepare it that are really good. I make fried tofu cubes to put in stir fries and things like that. Press the tofu (extra firm) to drain it, cut into little cubes, shake them up in a baggie with some flour, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and pan fry until browned. Good poo poo.

Watch out for this poster, OP. Any time someone mentions "nutritional yeast" there's a high chance you're dealing with a vegan.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

End of Shoelace posted:

It feels a little bit strange to make tofu unhealthier to eat, but I will definitely try out some fried tofu. Unfortunately, I think mine is too soft to press.

There are a lot of really good tofu salad recipes out there if you're eating the tofu to stay healthier. But it's not the end of the world to fry it if you don't use too much oil imho.

As long as the tofu you have isn't silken tofu you should be fine to press it. Just put it between some towels and lay something heavy on top of it for a while if you're worried about pushing too hard and losing the shape.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

it is impossible to enjoy tofu, op

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Devils Affricate posted:

Watch out for this poster, OP. Any time someone mentions "nutritional yeast" there's a high chance you're dealing with a vegan.

haha I actually did go through a vegan phase so I probably learned that recipe then. I'm not a vegan now but it's really delicious so I still make it that way.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
Apparently mapo tofu is really good?

Tofu, meat and maybe some veggies in a fermented bean Szechuan sauce.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

End of Shoelace posted:

you can eat it healthy style but it tastes unenjoyable

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Also lemme tell you about the beauty of a soft tofu stew

good god i wanna gently caress up some soft tofu stew rn

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

End of Shoelace posted:

I ordered mapo tofu from a Chinese restaurant once and it was by far the spiciest thing I've ever eaten. The woman who took my order warned me like three times but I didn't listen. I got through about 10% of the dish before I had to give up.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

you can eat it healthy style but it tastes unenjoyable

Yeah, to be fair, the only tasty things about my first tofu experience were the condiments. I think good side dishes are the point of eating straight-up tofu.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

tofu is meant to be surreptitiously added to meals in order to enhance your protein intake

you're not meant to taste it or even chew it if possible

some people didnt listen to these directions for some reason and now claim to 'cook' tofu and to be honest its all a bunch of nonsense
just poor the white slop into your throat and try not to let it touch your tongue

Evil Bob
May 2, 2004

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
https://www.watchwhatueat.com/healthy-asian-chili-garlic-tofu/

This recipe is my favorite tofu recipe. Serve it with rice. I ate it last night and it was fuckin delicious (again)

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

GolfHole posted:

it is impossible to enjoy tofu, op

Wow that's pretty hosed up. Have you ever marinated it for 24 hours in soy sauce and wasabi and then battered it in beer and honey and then fried it and then smashed it into a ball and fried it again and then put into a stir fry with extra sauce on it? You philistine. You rogue.

I really actually do like tofu, it's good

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

End of Shoelace posted:

Also seconding the agedashi recommendation

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
So I'm finding out that the skin that forms on boiled soymilk is a delicacy???

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Evil Bob posted:

https://www.watchwhatueat.com/healthy-asian-chili-garlic-tofu/

This recipe is my favorite tofu recipe. Serve it with rice. I ate it last night and it was fuckin delicious (again)

yo that looks bomb and I might make it for lunch thx

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Tofu absorbs whatever flavor you cook it in, so it's infinitely versatile!

I use firm tofu, taken out of the packaging and cubed into dice-sized cubes. I start by pan frying it with some butter, salt, and pepper. The liquid that the tofu is packaged in doesn't appeal to me, so by pan frying the tofu I can cook off most of that liquid. It takes a good ten minutes or so before the tofu starts browning. You don't need to stir the tofu though, you want the browning action to happen and stirring (exposing a different side of the cube to the pan) will dissipate the heat. Stirring won't ruin the tofu, I just prefer the browning to happen so I can get on with the rest of the meal.

Once the liquid has dissipated and the tofu is cooked, I toss in whatever sauce I want. I can throw in some homemade tomato sauce, or some peanut curry sauce, or just a simple blended bell pepper, or a delicious gravy, or like you said grated radishes and soy sauce, anything! I particularly like keeping it simple - a little chicken stock with whatever herbs and spices I have in my cupboard go a long way. I just bought some pre-mixed spice thing that is chili lime flavoring. It's really good!

If I'm having tofu with veggies, I throw in the veggies at the right time. Carrots go in early, frozen corns go in last, shiitakes go in somewhere in the middle, etc. Since it goes with anything, you can do whatever veggies you like.

I enjoy eating my tofu with rice or noodles for dinner, and then in a burrito with scrambled eggs and guac the next morning.

I find that firm tofu is the best tofu for savory meals, and we use that gooey soft tofu for sweet meals (i.e. soak it in a little honey water).

Tofu is also cheap around here. You can get a costco pack of six firm tofus for like eight bucks, which is way cheaper than any meat, and one pack is a meal for me and my husband plus leftovers the next day.

I can go on and on, thanks for listening to my tofu TED talk!

BigHead fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 26, 2020

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Cut it into cubes sear it a bit on all sides, and do a paneer preparation. You can be super lazy and get some store-bought butter chicken or muttar paneer sauce to add and eat it with naan.

Everything I've suggested relies on using very firm tofu. I find silken or even semi-firm tofu to be completely repulsive in almost any preparation, but that's a personal texture issue.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

like the poster of TASTE above you stated, silken/soft tofus are best for desserts or sweeter recipes. If you want to cook a meal you'll want to go with regular or firm. imho when it comes to cooking tofu there's really not a big difference between regular and firm beyond how much moisture you might want to press out of it beforehand. firm doesn't hold as much water. but ymmv depending on brand. it could just be the stuff i buy.

e: slam some silken tofu into a smoothie tbqh that poo poo is lit

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yeah, I usually freeze it first, let it thaw and then press it before grilling it. Makes it easy to get all that moisture out. I think you can also just bake it this way, it'll still come out nice and crispy. Make a sesame sauce to go with it

Freezing firm tofu first is a pro-tip. Just throw the entire sealed package in the freezer and forget about it until you're ready to use it.

I usually cut tofu up into ~1 inch cubes then marinade it in something like a peanut or a garlic/ginger/lemon juice ish sauce. Then I'll remove it from the marinade, try to drain some of the marinade off the cubes, then fry it in oil or bake it. Then stir fry up some veggies add the marinade on top of it as the sauce and serve it with rice or noodles.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

End of Shoelace posted:

Frying isn't unhealthy, this isn't the 80s where people are terrified of eating fats. And even if you're trying to count calories a few drops of oil to fry something is basically negligible.

Are you just trying to eat tofu because it has pop culture associations with being a health food?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I've never cooked tofu but I like it in miso soup when we get sushi. My wife hates it so I get her extra. I should learn how to make miso soup at home since it'll be awhile yet before we go get sushi

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Get fresh, firm tofu and steam it gently then it eat it plain with lots of kimchi.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Sleeveless posted:

Frying isn't unhealthy, this isn't the 80s where people are terrified of eating fats. And even if you're trying to count calories a few drops of oil to fry something is basically negligible.

Are you just trying to eat tofu because it has pop culture associations with being a health food?

I heard it's a good source of protein while also providing some other stuff, so I decided to give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Who What Now posted:

I've never cooked tofu but I like it in miso soup when we get sushi. My wife hates it so I get her extra. I should learn how to make miso soup at home since it'll be awhile yet before we go get sushi

I've made it at home, it's good and easy to make but it requires miso paste and I always only use like a tablespoon of that before it goes bad in the fridge. I don't make it often because I hate wasting the rest of the container.