Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

JazzFlight posted:

I do wish they had revived that before the season's end. Mother only disabled it, it was still intact.
It seemed very important because it was in the "human silhouettes" shape that was indicated in those metal flash cards.

The Trust had to be deactivated because The Entity is a million year old equivalent that doesn’t like competition. If it hadn’t been deactivated, it’d probably have been compromised and handed the humans to The Entity on a platter.

It’s on the flashcards, which are all about hazards to beware: A computer benevolently offering to help if you’ll just let it run everything certainly is, and we were shown exactly that when its metatron was revealed to be a brainwashed puppet rather than a true believer dedicated to the cause for his own reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnightRider
Jan 7, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress is going on with WB-Discovery? Have they lost their loving minds?

Yeah it's only a matter if time before they do this to Sopranos, and Rome, and Deadwood, etc. Gonna have to go back to torrenting because I sure as hell don't have the money to buy the boxsets for all these shows.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why wont they be on whatever the gently caress HBO max turns into?

KnightRider
Jan 7, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
He's selling them to "third party ad supported platforms" in a effort to cut costs I guess? It reeks of venture capitalist incompetence and their stock is super low right now in part because of it and the bat girl debacle. But all the business publications are praising it of course because one analyst said it was sensible. Hey, but at least we will be able to watch friends and 90 day fiance and loving property brothers now. Somebody needs to push that guy off a ski lift. He's turning that poo poo into the history channel.

KnightRider
Jan 7, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
If Mad Men taught me anything, it's that rich idiots will always barge in and set fire to everything just to turn a nickel into a dime. I NEED MORE MILKSNAKE MOMMY!

KnightRider
Jan 7, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I wish grandmother would come and put David zaslev into a loving stasis suit right now.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

god drat those loving people ruin everything

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
you could remove david zaslav from history including everything he ever had a hand in and the world would only be better for it

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mother ranting about where are all the philosophers, but it’s me looking for any content left on hbo max.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

HBO Max was awesome before the merger. What a dumb piece of poo poo.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Maybe Freebo + or whatever will make a season 3. Prop it up with ads from the dairy council.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I let my HBO sub lapse a while back and this dipshittery makes me think I'm never paying them another cent.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah they don’t care, they are intentionally tanking so they can claim a loss, shutter the service and the open a legally distinct one that doesn’t have to honor all the free lifetime accounts att gave away when they were trying to boost sub numbers for investors.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
it's tiring trying to convince my stubborn friends/parents to watch something, only for them to actually take my advice, and then it gets axed.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

HBO Max was awesome before the merger. What a dumb piece of poo poo.

Yeah it was like one place to go that felt like it was more good stuff to watch than it was crap to ignore. Even the stuff I was ignoring was probably good for what it was. There was some obviously rotten crap on there but it was easy to step over.

Weird time for TV. Last year at this time felt like I had multiple shows a week I looked forward to. New stuff coming out to look forward to. Now it's just occasionally hearing of something else you can't watch for obtuse reasons. I think the only two shows right now I actively watch on the day they come out are Abbott Elementary and Welcome to Flatch. Both are good, but in the exact same way as most of the other good okay whatever comfort sitcoms I throw on when I don't wanna listen to music while working.

Even here seems like we end up discussing movies and lovely tv news more than any chat of hey this or that show is good check it out or did you see that wow.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Especially weird that a frickin star wars TV show is actually excellent viewing, I got convinced by a friend to watch Andor after baking on all things marvel/star wars. It's some great stuff, so I assume Disney will kill it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I broke up with Star Wars but it autoplayed an episode on Hulu and I didn't get drawn in, but it looked nice. I do think it'll get killed cause it sounded expensive and they dug some old corpse out of the ground to be CEO again and I think he was eye poppin at how much all the shows cost to make.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Khanstant posted:

I broke up with Star Wars but it autoplayed an episode on Hulu and I didn't get drawn in, but it looked nice. I do think it'll get killed cause it sounded expensive and they dug some old corpse out of the ground to be CEO again and I think he was eye poppin at how much all the shows cost to make.

It's a grower of a show imo, and does a nice job weaving some separate plot lines together.

It is somewhat bounded though because you know what the final outcome is anyway. If you saw Rogue One that is.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
haha Rogue One is what made me quit star wars and it was also a thing you already knew how it ended.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

priznat posted:

Especially weird that a frickin star wars TV show is actually excellent viewing, I got convinced by a friend to watch Andor after baking on all things marvel/star wars. It's some great stuff, so I assume Disney will kill it.

Nah it just means Season 2 is probably going to have things in it that people who hate Star Wars really hate.

Like more stuff involving the first Death Star construction, K2S0 is going to get introduced, more cameos. There's no way it'll live up to the unexpected awesomeness of Season 1. I hope I'm wrong.

And rebellions are built on hope.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Pretty much every episode after about the 4th in Andor when it ends I go "drat, I can't believe that show is star wars", lol. I have a couple to go.

I would really like some more weird sci fi stuff like RbW though, just get really nuts with it.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I've been watching "Dark" on Netflix. It's some great sci-fi, but I'm halfway through season 3, so I don't know how it ends.

German language show though, so you gotta roll with subtitles.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

I've been watching "Dark" on Netflix. It's some great sci-fi, but I'm halfway through season 3, so I don't know how it ends.

German language show though, so you gotta roll with subtitles.

Dark is my all-time favorite Netflix show and really nails the ending imo. I had to rewatch the 1st and 2nd seasons prior to the 3rd though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yah Dark was good stuff. Strong recommend.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Every time I have seen my parents they ask me if I have watched Dark yet. I started it a couple times but I only remember like 8 words in german from highschool and I just don't look at a show enough while it's on to do subtitles.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Khanstant posted:

Every time I have seen my parents they ask me if I have watched Dark yet. I started it a couple times but I only remember like 8 words in german from highschool and I just don't look at a show enough while it's on to do subtitles.

It has an English dub for you insane illiterate people who enjoy the lips not being synced.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It has an English dub for you insane illiterate people who enjoy the lips not being synced.

German is close enough to English it lines up better than most languages! :haw:

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
If anything, it's taught me that Germans love banging on doors. They're LOUD AS gently caress. They don't even give you enough time to answer either! They bang the gently caress out of it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

literacy isn't the issue, it's just hard to read subtitles when you're already reading something else, or playing something else, or working on something, or are drawing, or are doing any of the things you might want TV on for. aint watching tv like i'm trapped in a movie theatre

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Khanstant posted:

literacy isn't the issue, it's just hard to read subtitles when you're already reading something else, or playing something else, or working on something, or are drawing, or are doing any of the things you might want TV on for. aint watching tv like i'm trapped in a movie theatre

i'm the same way but supposedly Dark is a show you gotta pay full attention to

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

CODChimera posted:

i'm the same way but supposedly Dark is a show you gotta pay full attention to

Yah this is definitely the case. It's complex as hellll

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Dark is almost as complex as Primer, but it's three goddamn seasons

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i got apple tv free for three months

surely foundation must be as good as space ragnar's bogus milky journey

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i got apple tv free for three months

surely foundation must be as good as space ragnar's bogus milky journey

Everything with Lee Pace is good. The rest, not so much.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

priznat posted:

Yah Dark was good stuff. Strong recommend.

Everyone says this about Dark so I tried 1899 (by the Dark dorks) and it loving sucked rear end holes. I need to know if Dark likers also like 1899 so I can judge the quality of their opinions.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

General Battuta posted:

Everyone says this about Dark so I tried 1899 (by the Dark dorks) and it loving sucked rear end holes. I need to know if Dark likers also like 1899 so I can judge the quality of their opinions.

Haven't watched 1899 so can't say! Now that I look at it I'm interested though, and it seems to get positive reviews generally.. Their brand of show may just not be your thing.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I cannot imagine anyone giving 1899 a good review. It appears to have been written on the principle of "if the viewer can discern what's going to happen next at any moment, or what specifically motivates any of the characters or actions on screen, we are failing as storytellers." Just the worst kind of "things happen for no reason at length and then it turns out we're all living in a jar of tang" show.

Possibly I am just not a good fit for the style though. I didn't finish the season so maybe there's an amazing payoff!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I kinda liked Dark (though I still didint watch the final season) but I would not say its "good"

Its fun as a time travel story/puzzle with some crazy mind bending twists but thats it

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I liked 1889 just fine, but Dark is a much better show and really nails the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

General Battuta posted:

No I hated it. Got bored and quit midway through the second episode.

edit: I'm a Dark liker. Dark starts way smaller with the mysteries and builds them up over time instead of starting with a million opaque characters and plots that are impossible to care about.