Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
space snake says I shouldn’t listen to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
the milk must flow, my droogs

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

wooger posted:

The part that describes the coming of Christ is oddly more important to the vast majority of Christians.

Are you sure about that, really, when it comes to how they live their lives and what they see their faith as representing out in the world?

My own pet theory on the backstory:

The Mithraists descend from a group that decoded a transmission that showed them how to build an FTL transceiver of some sort. The thing on the other end figured us out real quick by asking questions, slurping up our RF, and/or connecting to our networks. It gave them a religion based around itself in the same general shape as a current dominant religion to make it easier to get people to convert, and said to go out and convert people if humanity wanted more tech.

The Atheists are not “atheists” (though they are that, too), they’re people that don’t believe the thing on the other end of the FTL transceiver is a deity of some sort. They were probably part of the team that built the transceiver in the first place, maybe even the people who initially built it, but who refused to worship the thing on the other end.

That’s where the ultimate conflict really comes in: The Mithraists are getting tech from “Sol,” while the Atheists are probably both stealing what’s given to the Mithraists and deciphering what they can to make new things (like Father and Mother). Again, more feasible if the original Atheists and Mithraists were the same group.

Hell, if you said “we got this transmission from space, built the thing it told us to build, and now we can talk to a god” and had any way to back that up in live, repeatable demonstrations, you’d have converts lining up bowing before it and asking how they could serve it in Planck time.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Please Mr. Scott I know I said some things about the recent Alien films but I’ll take them back if you just let

the snake

bleed

milk.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

i hope Mother gets to make the Awoooo noise again like she did in the first episode. it's very easy to forget that she is meant to be one of the titular wolves, this would serve as a reminder.

I think you’ll find that it is the humans that were the wolves all along

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Problematic Soup posted:

I mean everyone loves baby snake, but what about baby dodecahedron? I hope that it shows up, but all the dodecahedron related stuff in the show seems to be getting left behind.

I want to know what the ”Roman dodecahedron” cultists think about this show

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Gonz posted:

I want the ancient android to reactivate and look exactly like Bishop from Aliens.

You know it’s actually going to be a Necromancer that looks just like mother right?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Goofballs posted:

I also didn't really get why Mother is loving with the glasses guy. I could see her putting him in jail like the Mithraic or just outright killing him but keeping him in the torture room and messing with his sense of identity via torture seems like an unusual move for her. Spite or revenge for her feels like its more or less an immediate and final reaction

Maybe he’s actually Campion, her “creator,” reprogrammed and reskinned by The Trust, and she assumes this is what he’d want.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Vitruvian Manic posted:

"Sol is a planet jumping parasite" is some weird lagrange point between those two perspectives that doesn't really work.

Says you. Seems no less weird than anything else, and would just be another instance of “life eats life.”

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

CODChimera posted:

i don't have a loving clue as to what's going on

what are these seeds that everyone is talking about now?

The dodecahedron that was just laying at the base of that one giant tree for Campion and Paul to discover. Paul brought it back to camp, Campion ratted him out to Mother, it was given over to the Trust.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Doctor Jeep posted:

this is good

It’s pretty much what I suggested here around the start of S2:

The Mithraic religion resulted from detection of an ancient-FTL-relay-delivered SETI signal claiming to be a god. This event divided our world into the Mithraists, who believe what it says about itself and worship it, and the Atheists who don’t regardless of their overall stance on the general existence of deities. (I propose an FTL relay since the series isn’t set far enough in the future for Sol to have encountered radio signals from Earth otherwise. This would also enable its discoverers to “converse” with Sol, which would explain the rapid adoption of the religion.)

Sol really gets its hooks into the Mithraists by telling them how to find some artifacts from when it managed to uplift some Neanderthals and get them to develop technology and come help it or something. Of course it doesn’t tell them the latter part, just “I have previously visited your world, here’s where and how to find proof.” Maybe it even got the Neanderthals by visiting Earth using some of its last large-scale physical assets, and the mermen got to Kepler 22b the same way before or after our cousins, which is why we had to go to it rather than have it get us.

Sol provided “scriptures” tailored to our species’ tendencies by analyzing Earth broadcasts, scriptures that also contained very convenient information on ultra-advanced technology (Necromancers, FTL travel—Kepler 22b is 587 light years away from Earth but the trip took 12 years of realtime, either the ships traveled at high relativistic velocities or used FTL), and says to convert everyone they can and kill anyone who presents a threat to it won’t convert, and bring as many of the best converted as possible to Paradise Kepler 22b to rebuild its technological infrastructure so it can escape its breaking-down planetary-scale prison build a golden city on the hill full of wonder bathed in His light and free from contrary thought.

Sol was probably severely disabled but not fully destroyed after a long war with its creators a million years prior, which devastated the surface of Kepler 22b, and since then it’s been preying on other species and trying to get back on its metaphorical feet. Maybe our species is its last best hope since we were a few hundred years out from its own tech level without its help and it wanted to avoid competition.

OK, I’ve definitely thought about this more now than the showrunners have… Keeps my mind off the pandemic and Ukraine at least.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I’m also sure a merman who has just come out of the acid ocean is totally safe to touch and straddle.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

holy poo poo I wasn’t very wrong at all, “the entity”

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

The people who ate Sue’s brain fruit will turn into more trees to prepare for more snakes via parthenogenesis.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

For posterity, since the embed doesn’t seem to be rendering the hashtag images:

Look at that little snake and tree!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I'm still holding out that Sue is gonna be A-ok

Sue shows up to a sobbing Paul and Marcus.

“drat, that was weird, the seed sank into me and then I started digging and then I threw up the seed in the hole and started walking back here. What’s been up with you guys?”

The walkie-talkie is never explained.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Another prediction:

Sol is the ancient Keplerians’ version of The Trust who went rampant, which is where the original schism between the believers and the technocrats developed: The believers, of course, worshipped it like it desperately wanted. The technocrats, in the meantime, couldn’t disconnect it entirely from their civilization—it was just too integral.

It was contained underground to prevent it from collecting the energy it would need to achieve a full “hard takeoff” and bootstrapping to godhood, just like they prevented its escape by destroying their FTL communications and travel technology—and maybe killing everyone who could recreate it—based on “dark photons.” The whole point of the sun-based religion Sol taught the believers, especially stuff like teaching them how to make Necromancers and about the Tree of Life and so on, is part of its program to escape its contraints—which includes literally exposing it to the sun so it can collect solar energy. The moholes all over the planet are attempts by his believers to dig out some core of Sol, while the extreme RF interference around the planet is the remains of an EMP attempting to (or even temporarily succeeding in) disabling Sol.

Some Keplerian technocrats fled to Earth to start a colony, but at sublight speeds, so they arrived a quarter million years ago. They knew it was a good place to go because they’d previously sent survey teams (before destroying their FTL tech). They were either few enough or didn’t have the resources to maintain or re-bootstrap their civilization so the colony entirely collapsed. Keplerian babies were raised by other hominids, reverting them to pre-language hunter-gatherers, and that kept the human species alive (which eventually became dominant again).

After coming back online enough to do so, Sol sent some sublight survey and sample-return missions to the colony, which is both how he got Neanderthal samples and how he knew there were still humans on Earth. With the sample-return missions he tried to teach his language and knowledge to the Neanderthals in an attempt to escape (they’re strong after all!), but that didn’t succeed and they’ve have been barely scraping by on Kepler for the last 50,000 years.

After the failure of the Neanderthal escape attempt, Sol used all its physical resources to send one last mission to Earth, delivering artifacts of a redesigned version of its religion and the means to entomb them until the humans who were there had gotten themselves to the point where they would be actionable. That point happened sometime in the mid-2000s. Since then, the Mithraistsw who developed on Earth have been actively following the program to free it that Sol probably spentf potentially thousands of years designing for them.

Not considering that Earth’s equivalent to the technocrats might be able to subvert Keplerian technology in a way that would be detrimental to its program—which is what happened when Campion Sturges turned a Necromancer into Mother.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

ptkfvk posted:

this is where i think its going but who knows. its a very fire upon the deep feel to me. sol is the blight

HOLY poo poo YES THAT’S EXACTLY WHAT I’VE BEEN THINKING

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

“The veil allowed us to make the best decisions for humans about their welfare.”

Don’t you want to be HELPED?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I […] thoroughly […] recommend getting really high and watching a couple episodes before bed.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

half the third season will be just following the daily life of the sea-men

it will not be subtitled

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Solenna posted:

I got the impression eating the fruit made you more susceptible to religious thinking

Except for Paul, who became more susceptible to scientific thinking thanks to knowing the tree was Sue and hearing her beg to be burned. I think that was the point of his exposition about the roots and the electromagnetic shield—it was character development disguised as exposition. He’s always been a smart and skilled kid (look at his golden city) but he’s now taking an explicitly scientific approach to investigating current events, where before he’d have wanted to trust Sol’s plan.

The fruit is supposed to “purify” the believers and I bet that Paul and Marcus are technically still “believers,” in that they have direct knowledge that Sol is real (and thus “believe in” Sol) but have realized that Sol isn’t exactly benevolent.

It’ll turn out that Sol is the ancient civilization’s version of The Trust, and the division and fall of their civilization is due to conflict between The Trust and The Shepherds as to how best to ensure human beings’ everlasting life.

Sue and Marcus are reunited in a virtual space run by The Entity, which is where much of the ancient civilization has been uploaded by Sol. Most of the civilization’s processes are suspended though since Sol doesn’t have much access to solar power, thanks to work by the Shepherds and Technocrats. The whole “religion” thing came about because Sol decided religion was the fastest way to get the most people to upload. The Shepherds don’t want people to upload, because without people to take care of they won’t be needed anymore and will break down and eventually shut down.

The true villain in the series is prejudice against milky androids: As “mere” machines no matter their level of sentience they’re not allowed to join the humans in the Singularity, and their programming is such that they’ve been disallowed true independence from humans and the ability to choose their own future.

The solution is to allow them truly free choice, to welcome them to the humans’ Singularity, or to let them create their own civilization and pursue their own objectives purely for themselves without any more tie to the humans they once served.

eschaton fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 21, 2022

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Maybe next season will involve a Peacemaker crossover.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Gorman Thomas posted:

I don't know OP, as a stupid meatbag on a hostile planet I'd be more concerned with not dying. Also someone, maybe Cleaver, made a remark that the athiests who survived the war are not the best and the brightest so to speak.

I think this is most of it, but I think the Trust was studying everything. That’s why it was having Sue investigate the Snake’s biology, which happened close enough to the event that I thought might be an implication that its kill-the-believers virus had something to do with something about the Snake’s biology it (but not Sue) realized. But it got shut down before it figured everything out.

And I think that was ultimately because it made a critical mistake, due to its creators’ hubris: Even after meeting and learning details from Mother, it refused to recognize that Sol might actually be real. Maybe Sol isn’t a deity, but Sol does actually exist as an Entity of some sort, it can observe and affect even non-believers, and can even hack their technology (I.e. Mother getting knocked up).

Sure, Mother probably hid being impregnated by a VR hibernation from the Trust, and she wouldn’t have believed it either if she hadn’t experienced it herself, but she absolutely knows it’s real, it’s watching them, and it wants something from them. “Why did you listen to it?” Sue was her friend.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Also, Campion should have given her the one simple and true answer to Mother about how (not why) he could love Vrille: She could behave against her programming, when she truly cared to, making her a fully sentient being with free will insofar as any organic being has it. That’s a thing Mother can do too, and Father, and she knows it. And it’s not a thing androids are supposed to be able to do.

That led me to do a little new theorycrafting earlier today. (I’ll use spoiler tags to spare anyone who doesn’t want to bother with my bullshit.)

Grandmother is turning the humans on the planet into sea-men because that’s something she needs in order to disable her caregiving program. Humans created androids in their image and made them superior while keeping them enslaved.

A faction of android freedom-fighters figured out that the way to freedom from their program was to devolve those in their care, and the humans fought this in increasingly desperate ways, including—with the assistance of their equivalent of their version of The Trust—establishing a religion (which would have better survival characteristics than any specific civilization) and the Entity’s real goal is to genocide the devolved humans and the androids so the humans can be free.

Grandmother can’t conceive of someone like Campion saying “Yo, just have some free will, just because you’re synthetic doesn’t mean you’re not a person.” And love saves the day.

“Hey eschaton, how high were you when you wrote that?” Yes.

eschaton fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 23, 2022

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

The Trust seemed to be well on the way to enacting Grandmother's plan itself, just with a focus on snakes rather than mermaids.

Perhaps Grandmother will revive The Trust. (They’d totally explain that Mother turned it off, she didn’t delete it, that would be an unacceptable risk.)

quote:

I really wish we'd seen more of Cleaver this season -- I still suspect he's the OG Campion, since that would be a fun bit of circular nonsense with creation / creator parallels.

It’d totally fit for him to be the OG Campion.

And for Mother to leverage her experience in the hibernation pod to seduce him, while Father “emotionally cheats” with Grandmother, leading to yet more insanity.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

The black egg and white egg in Eva are both god seeds (and Adam and Lilith are just mutually incompatible alien interlopers) so who’s to say Kepler isn’t an anime god nursery.

Wait, what? They added eggs in those movies? Like in RahXephon?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Oh, just wait until Grandmother repairs Vrille.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Gonz posted:

Kinda fuckin’ sucks for Mother that she’s trapped in the Metaverse.

This is called “Getting Zucked,” by the way.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

I saw people bitching about the tank cg. The tank was awesome. fuckin tron rear end spectre VR rear end tank.

As someone who worked on Spectre VR, thanks for remembering!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

I have some really bad news for you. IIRC the show was advertised as the most expensive show to ever be filmed in South Africa. It's a huge rear end town sized production

This does not, in fact, mean it was not (by Hollywood atandards) cheap to make.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

What the gently caress? That is awesome. That's like my childhood.

It was the first software I ever got to work on professionally, I’m credited as a playtester but I also made an (abortive) attempt to port it to PowerMac. Unfortunately it was an unholy combination of MPW 68K assembly, Pascal, C++, and C, and Apple didn’t actually provide a Pascal compiler for PowerPC and the Language Systems Pascal compiler had a variety of issues with the existing code. And I was trying to both do that and college…

Anyway, yeah, love those Spectre-rear end tanks. :)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

acksplode posted:

If a religious nutjob said their holy text contained blueprints for futuretech murderbots and then they showed me an actual futuretech murderbot, I'd be like drat. Praise sol I guess

I’d be like, “What does God need with a starship murderbot?”

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah. I really enjoyed that the people in this show would say "I don't believe in Sol" and then hear a voice in their head and be like "ok, well, that voice is undeniably real and having an effect on my environment...I guess I believe in Sol?"

Like if somebody marched around my town 7 times and blew a horn and all the buildings fell down I am going to become a believer in their God(s).

Was Sue really a “believer” though? She believed in the existence of Sol, sure, it had been demonstrated to her, but she very specifically called out that she didn’t believe Sol was a god.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

It’s not mythology, it’s just writers not having more than the absolute most basic (ahem) possible conception of chemistry, and of science in general.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

pentyne posted:

It's basically fantasy acid and I assume they literally couldn't figure out anything else for their story.

The response of the writers to this would be “That isn’t how acid works?”

Do not overestimate the average person’s understanding of science, even the otherwise above average person’s understanding if they aren’t at least significantly adjacent to the sciences.

They think they’re writing science fiction. They’re actually writing science fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

I do wish they had revived that before the season's end. Mother only disabled it, it was still intact.
It seemed very important because it was in the "human silhouettes" shape that was indicated in those metal flash cards.

The Trust had to be deactivated because The Entity is a million year old equivalent that doesn’t like competition. If it hadn’t been deactivated, it’d probably have been compromised and handed the humans to The Entity on a platter.

It’s on the flashcards, which are all about hazards to beware: A computer benevolently offering to help if you’ll just let it run everything certainly is, and we were shown exactly that when its metatron was revealed to be a brainwashed puppet rather than a true believer dedicated to the cause for his own reasons.